Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was waiting for the Natural Doctrine LE, but am not really feeling that one. Probably gonna just stick with my gcu preorder on it now.

Will be the first Vita LE I'll actually be passing up

The thing that baffles me is Natural Doctrine has some decent character portraits. The in game graphics IMHO look like a mid range PS2 game maybe. Why didn't they build around those nice character portraits, have a nice box for the LE with said graphics of the characters, scrap the poster, add a soundtrack like they always do, and then keep the bag if they wanted. I would even say scrap the artbook and put in something unique to the game, but that's mainly cause other than concept art....I really don't want to see this art. I'm supporting it by buying it on the PS4 just to show we want games like this....but I'm not sure I can justify 20 dollars extra for these extras I don't want though I would see if the bag isn't a piece of junk.

Just got the Vita one...figured it wasn't terrible with the bag anyway. But I won't get it for the $80 tag for the PS4. Graphics isn't really the highlight of the game anyway. 

I actually love the bag.  Normally I'm a little disappointed when their CEs are lacking a soundtrack or display box, but i liked the bag so much it didn't bother me so much.  I will actually use it if the quality is decent.  Purses aren't really my thing, but a smaller messenger type bag with a subtle gaming reference is right up my alley! 

I was set on getting this for PS4 when I first heard about it... but if the graphics aren't much different between versions, I may just grab the vita version and save 20 bucks.  If the vita version ends up working on the PSTV, it would end up being the same difference. I did see it listed as a compatible game on Sony's JP site... not sure if that means our version will be too.  I heard that past games NISA localized, they didn't bother adding the support even if it was in the original.  Not sure if that is true or not.

But I like that messenger bag :(

Not enough to buy the le though.  Now if that stuff was free with the purchase of the game that'd be nicer.  Yeah its too much to expect everyone to lose money and do a limited edition like atlus does.  

Did Atelier Rorona Plus get a physical Vita release? I snagged it on PS3 but just noticed on the PS store the vita version. Im assuming they released it digital only for the handheld?

Also it seems the digital version has some DLC. Is that exclusive to the digital version or something? Kinda lame if thats the case. I actually need to start playing these games. I have them all but havent played any. Unless the earlier Atelier Iris games are part of the series... are they?

Did Atelier Rorona Plus get a physical Vita release? I snagged it on PS3 but just noticed on the PS store the vita version. Im assuming they released it digital only for the handheld?

Also it seems the digital version has some DLC. Is that exclusive to the digital version or something? Kinda lame if thats the case. I actually need to start playing these games. I have them all but havent played any. Unless the earlier Atelier Iris games are part of the series... are they?
Vita is digital only. Rorona is a fine place to start as it is start of the Arland series

Vita is digital only. Rorona is a fine place to start as it is start of the Arland series
Yea, figured that was the case. Too bad id have liked a physical version, not big on digital only at all. If i do start with Rorona should i play the original or plus? Have them both. I tend to like to play the original the first time unless this remake makes serious improvements. Outa curiosity are the older Iris games related to these at all?

Strange about the DLC. Not sure why only the digital version would have it, unless its included on the disk? Does the digital version just get more stuff than the physical?

Plus is the original with better graphics, all DLC, and some other improvement.  No need to play the original.  The DLC for PS3 verison is a gamestop preorder bonus.

http://otakuoverdrive.com/2014/04/15/game-review-natural-doctrineps-vitaps3ps4/comment-page-1/

Gives a good review type for Natural Doctrine as well.

I think if I do get one of these it will be the Vita version....maybe the limited edition but I can't justify myself spending on the PS4 version when they're all similar experiences....
Nice review.. this kinda solidifies the impression I got from someone streaming it multiple times. A few times they added "the suffering.." to the stream title. Then I saw them die over and over and over for an hour+ on several different occasions lol. Makes sense if the balancing issue is true though.

Yea, figured that was the case. Too bad id have liked a physical version, not big on digital only at all. If i do start with Rorona should i play the original or plus? Have them both. I tend to like to play the original the first time unless this remake makes serious improvements. Outa curiosity are the older Iris games related to these at all?

Strange about the DLC. Not sure why only the digital version would have it, unless its included on the disk? Does the digital version just get more stuff than the physical?
As for the Iris titles being related in any way shape or form, I wouldn't think so. Albeit I could be wrong, but they aren't particularly anything like the Arland series. in the 'Iris' series Synthesizing/Alchemy takes a back seat and it's full on adventure/combat. You also don't have that time management mechanic or the need to follow a guide to get the correct ending or specific events that you don't want to miss in the Arland series. For the most part, there happens to be a total of 6 sub-series in the Atelier series of 15 main games. Salburg, Gramnad, Iris, Mana, Arland and Dusk. Then you've got your side games where more information can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelier_(series)

I've played the Iris series on the PS2 and by that I mean all three games. However I never completed them to the end but I did play enough to know the characters and none of them have appeared in either Meruru or Ayesha in the series of games I've played in the Arland/Dusk series. If there ever were any relations I doubt that it would be anything astonishing and more along the lines of an Easter Egg or references to earlier games in other sub-series.

Play Plus for sure. Just don't bother with the after game chapter(which is done on a clear data save) until after you play Totori and Meruru.

Heads up. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney $29.99 Amazon Pre-order.

Same price at Best Buy. Add in GCU + Expedited Shipping = Winning

Heads up. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney $29.99 Amazon Pre-order.

Same price at Best Buy. Add in GCU + Expedited Shipping = Winning
I kind of felt it was the MSRP esp since at $31.99 Gamestop was OVERCHARGING for it with such a weird price. Screw that....just like them overcharging for Donkey Kong Returns and I forget what else.

But I like that messenger bag :(

Not enough to buy the le though. Now if that stuff was free with the purchase of the game that'd be nicer. Yeah its too much to expect everyone to lose money and do a limited edition like atlus does.
You still have to pay for the $80 version to get the version of persona Q with most of the collectibles lol but I concur that limited editions (that eventually near $20ish) are awesome treats for the modern cash strapped large backlog having gamer. I love my limited edition game CDs. Too bad best buy has cut back their gaming and movies to the point that when something does go on sale you have to pray amazon price matches because bby is out of copies online and in any safe part of town lol

While that is an increase isn't the purpose of MSRP a suggestion? As seen in the 'S' of the acronym. However I'm not condoning the increase but all these retailers don't always stick to what they suggest. I'm just remembering the price of Xenoblade Chronicles the second time at GameStop when it was priced at $90

While that is an increase isn't the purpose of MSRP a suggestion? As seen in the 'S' of the acronym. However I'm not condoning the increase but all these retailers don't always stick to what they suggest. I'm just remembering the price of Xenoblade Chronicles the second time at GameStop when it was priced at $90
Indeed, you're correct. MSRP is a suggestion. However, we're merely discussing where Gamestop would get the gall to raise the price if we can get it for a cheaper price everywhere else. And I understand brand loyalty, but honestly, who's loyal to Gamestop?

The worst part is, I called an employee out on it. They asked me if I was interested in Pokemon Conquest and I told them I was, but not at Gamestop since they priced it $5 higher than MSRP. The employee then told me that the MSRP might actually be $34.99 and that everyone else has it on sale. I told him that was impossible. Then he told me that there were other "factors" at work, such as shipping and marketing that caused Gamestop to have a higher price.

Quite a knowledgable employee. Why isn't he working at corporate, I wonder?

but aren't they playing the jp version?
it is but considering people like little insight he goes into lot detail why the game is good an were the game is bad also on the review page

Reviewer lives in Japan and is proficient in Japanese, but often gives advice to importers of all levels.

so figure he would be good too share a opinion for anyone who wanted to put out $60+ for a game. i myself, is going wait an see before i buy

it is but considering people like little insight he goes into lot detail why the game is good an were the game is bad also on the review page

Reviewer lives in Japan and is proficient in Japanese, but often gives advice to importers of all levels.

so figure he would be good too share a opinion for anyone who wanted to put out $60+ for a game. i myself, is going wait an see before i buy
Great Reviewer. I enjoy his thoughts and insights. :lol:

They decided to sell the Xenoblade reprints as used to get around that. It was a brilliant and bullshit move on their part. I'm pretty positive that distributors/publishers etc are not okay with companies selling their 'new' products at ludicrous prices that weren't agreed upon between them.

Should I get the Ys games that came out for PSP from PSN for my Vita or on PC via Steam? Today's the last day for Steam's summer sale and each game is either $7.49 or $9.99

Should I get the Ys games that came out for PSP from PSN for my Vita or on PC via Steam? Today's the last day for Steam's summer sale and each game is either $7.49 or $9.99
I think the PC versions are a bit enhanced...so I would likely recommend those instead unless you want to play on the go.

They decided to sell the Xenoblade reprints as used to get around that. It was a brilliant and bullshit move on their part. I'm pretty positive that distributors/publishers etc are not okay with companies selling their 'new' products at ludicrous prices that weren't agreed upon between them.
From what I've learned, and from discussing the Xenoblade Chronicles fiasco in the past, Nintendo had to be on the deal if it happened between them and GameStop. So even when GameStop got around the price and raised it up Nintendo had already received payment from the get-go before it happened. If they hadn't, then surely Nintendo would act swiftly against GameStop but since they didn't it doesn't leave me wondering that they weren't in on it as well. GameStop jacked up the price but Nintendo was also in on it so why does GameStop get all the blame? Is it only because of the price? It was also done under the radar between the two for a period of time. :whistle2:

In the end, GameStop pony'd up the publishing fee's for the game. And Nintendo of America didn't even want to show the game at a previous E3 when Nintendo of Europe asked. Because NoA didn't want to show off something they weren't going to sell to people. Funny how that works and they didn't want to localize it in the first place....

Indeed, you're correct. MSRP is a suggestion. However, we're merely discussing where Gamestop would get the gall to raise the price if we can get it for a cheaper price everywhere else. And I understand brand loyalty, but honestly, who's loyal to Gamestop?
As for "Brand Loyalty"..... I'm the same way with my consoles/handhelds.
I won't say that I don't use GameStop but it's not the only place that I use. If I can find it somewhere cheaper I'll get it somewhere else. The only reason I use GameStop is for Used games and the return policy that comes with them. Not that many other places have that. Plus, my local store is 5 mins away and BestBuy and Target are in the next town over. I'm always looking at the video game selection when I visit other retail chains though. If all else fails, there's always Amazon. Besides that, haven't had a "bad experience" yet in my local GameStop. I know how to bargain shop and have the know-how to save a dollar. If GameStop doesn't have it at the price I want I go somewhere else.

They were on sale on PSN around November or so for 7.49 apiece, IIRC. I'd wait for them on PSN again, or get them in a different Steam sale since 7.49/9.99 isn't a good price there. Typically there's a flash/community sale on Ys and it gets quite a bit more discounted (down 75%) than they are right now, but there wasn't a sale like that this time.

In the Winter sale they got down to these prices:

Origins: 4.99

OiF: 3.74

Chronicles: 3.74

FF X/X2 will be drop MSRP $19.99 very soon. I sure it'll be $9.99 or less with GU by Black Friday or after ;)
gl with that, best buy is rapidly becoming the next Sears of video games. When the Guided Fate Paradox finally hit 19.99 there wasn't a copy available online or within a tristate area. When borderlands goty edition hit shelves there was maybe 1 copy for ps3 at every store. Thank God for amazon and gamestop, because bby is heading away from carrying jrpgs other than via per order, and even their pre orders are being locked months in advance of the games actually being released. But I will agree that I can see FF X/X2 hitting 19.99, but I think you need to consult a doctor if you think bby will have any jrpg stock hit 9.99.

do remember this is ff you are talking about not some super niche game.  following the patterns and such ffx hd collection will drop rather quickly because they likely overprinted it just like they did with kh. 

Why must I be forever tormented by the hope that Seven and Celceta will come to Steam!?

do remember this is ff you are talking about not some super niche game. following the patterns and such ffx hd collection will drop rather quickly because they likely overprinted it just like they did with kh.
I understand that, but I mean borderlands 2 had a huge following and they had almost no copies of the goty edition, maybe it's paranoia but I fear best buy (at least around here) is rapidly becoming a large cellphone store/modern radio shack+Sears and the world only needs so many of those lol

From what I've learned, and from discussing the Xenoblade Chronicles fiasco in the past, Nintendo had to be on the deal if it happened between them and GameStop. So even when GameStop got around the price and raised it up Nintendo had already received payment from the get-go before it happened. If they hadn't, then surely Nintendo would act swiftly against GameStop but since they didn't it doesn't leave me wondering that they weren't in on it as well. GameStop jacked up the price but Nintendo was also in on it so why does GameStop get all the blame? Is it only because of the price? It was also done under the radar between the two for a period of time. :whistle2:

In the end, GameStop pony'd up the publishing fee's for the game. And Nintendo of America didn't even want to show the game at a previous E3 when Nintendo of Europe asked. Because NoA didn't want to show off something they weren't going to sell to people. Funny how that works and they didn't want to localize it in the first place....
It didn't help being one of their worst localizations in recent memory. Didn't bother to update the copyright date, and content-wise inferior to Europe without a way to select Italian/German.

Sounds good, looking forward to hearing your opinion about it.
I was only able to put in about an hour in the game but here are my first impressions:

1) It is very reminiscent of Phantasy Star Online on the previous gen consoles. One difference is that you start with an NPC in your team and you have to manage her (somewhat) by issuing commands to be more efficient in combat. It was not immediately necessary in the first few missions I played, but I guess it would help if you started learning to do so for later in the game. Pulling up the menus to issue commands really clutter up the top of the play field and so it's slightly disorienting. Also, it's a lot of button mashing. The default reversed button (O to accept instead of X) was a little distracting at first.

2) You start at a very high level to begin with. For someone like me who has not played the first game, I very much wished I could go back and start from scratch though this option was not available at the title menu. Isn't the first game included with this one?

3) The camera angle is horrible. I had to manually adjust the viewing angle on several occasions when battling mobs in different directions. It was quite tedious to have to switch buttong pushing to right analog stick during fights.

4) The playing area is way too small. Looking around on the screen is probably the only way to see what's ahead of you. The minimap to me is fairly useless. I'll most definitely play this game with vitaTV if it's ever supported. Until then, I'll probably wait and start a different game.

5) Visuals and voice acting is pretty good. The english translation is one of the worst I've seen... noticing several typos and grammatical errors in the first hour. I cant wait to see what kind of broken engrish is in store for the rest of the game. The in-game tutorial was a bit of a chore to get through as well as try to understand given the bad translation.

I'll definitely give it some more time because i love PSO type genre, but I hope that helps. If there's a demo, definitely try it out first. I'm sure it will be better later in the game, but the initial impression I got was fairly mediocre at best with all the technical issues.

They're all different sub-series. I have all of them physically like you, but I'll just wait for the vita versions to go on sale, and play them digitally so I can keep all my ps3 versions sealed. The Arland plus series are all enhanced so they basically obsolete the inferior original versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back