Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Caviezel/Shep fanfic confirmed for early 2015

So $40 is the correct price for the PS3 version of Natural Doctrine right? I don't want to steer someone towards getting it and then find out they raised the price when I wasn't paying attention.
It's hard to tell but I think it is....was $50 before....just tell them to pre-order to get the low price and cancel if it isn't the official price. Also getting the $10 credit is a good thing too.

Time and Eternity and Last Rebellion are not crap. The storylines are crap, the voice acting in both games are crap, but both games have their merits.

Time and Eternity is more like Punch-Out than an RPG. You have to look for enemy cues to know when to strike. That's about it for the entire game.

Last Rebellion is $3.99 at Gamestop. I just picked it up myself. If you are reading this thread, there is no way you wouldn't get $3.99's worth of entertainment from the game. It plays like an early PS2 RPG but it's still fun enough if you don't mind that guessing is a huge part of the gameplay because you have to guess the proper order to attack enemies. If you guess incorrectly, battles tend to drag on. So get this game if you're good at guessing.

I think the larger issue with Time and Eternity (and Last Rebellion as well) is what they were being suggested for.  I think that we can all agree that there are better places to start playing niche/jrpgs than either of these two games.

I looked up that Monster Monpiece voice thing (on my phone, b/c I'm certainly not putting that search into my work PCs history) and though it doesn't answer your question, I'll say that it sounds like you want to steer clear of those.  Apparently they're used to set one (or maybe a handful, but it isn't all of them) card to have a specific voice.  Apparently once you download it (in particular the complaints came from the free ones) you have to sit through "loading ___ voice set" and saving every time you start up the game, as well as "Hey, here's some more voice packs you might be interested in."  It sounds like a hassle.

This is slightly off topic but wow is there a lot of DLC for Monster Monpiece. I think Idea Factory and Compile Hearts games just get so much unnecessary DLC that either gives free items, paid items, some dungeons, power ups, money, blah blah. I really hate this but only get the free stuff usually. Just too many IMHO!

Quick question: Theres nothing special about the launch edition of Tales of Xillia 2 is there? No first print, or LE run or anything? If not i think im going to cancel my pre-order and stick with the CE for now. Pretty annoyed it doesn't even seem to have a friggin manual

Quick question: Theres nothing special about the launch edition of Tales of Xillia 2 is there? No first print, or LE run or anything? If not i think im going to cancel my pre-order and stick with the CE for now. Pretty annoyed it doesn't even seem to have a friggin manual
No, there aren't any first-print extras.

This is slightly off topic but wow is there a lot of DLC for Monster Monpiece. I think Idea Factory and Compile Hearts games just get so much unnecessary DLC that either gives free items, paid items, some dungeons, power ups, money, blah blah. I really hate this but only get the free stuff usually. Just too many IMHO!
And people still buy it. :lol:

the only difference is the standard edition has the dark purple cover vs the white coverart for the ce, if that is your thing.
Don't forget the manual that may be exclusive to the CE's copy, which Kenshindono mentioned. :???:

Don't forget the manual that may be exclusive to the CE's copy, which Kenshindono mentioned. :???:
yeah that too, they really need to stop getting cheap with the manuals. i just finished last of us recently, and there is no freaking manual. cheapass naughty dogs. even capcom gave me a manual for remember me

They are Japanese last I remember playing that game. Is it for English voice overs?
Right, the normal voices are Japanese. The DLC is what I'm asking about (it's only voice overs for the rubbing game, not the whole game). I would assume they're Japanese as well.

dont really see any MUST HAVE DLC on monster. I was hoping there would be more levels some day but that is doubtful. sort of wasted 30 on it.

You can price match Amazon at Target for Drakengard 3 and then use the $15 off for pre ordering a game deal to get it for $16. Not sure if Target sells it though.

Just got my Akiba's Trip from Crunchy Roll. All it came with was a Lollipop Chainsaw keychain, the free bonus didn't even have anything to do with the game itself. So, BB with GCU is still the better deal IMO for those of you on the fence.

Just got my Akiba's Trip from Crunchy Roll. All it came with was a Lollipop Chainsaw keychain, the free bonus didn't even have anything to do with the game itself. So, BB with GCU is still the better deal IMO for those of you on the fence.
I appreciate that man, thanks for the update. Still trying to decide on ps3 or vita...hmmm.

I appreciate that man, thanks for the update. Still trying to decide on ps3 or vita...hmmm.

from i read from neogaf, the loading time for ps3 is a bit long, and to bypass that use fast travel. the vita version has no manual, but the ps3 version does have a good size manual artbok

here are additional details from xseed gaming pr manager TOm regarding akibas trip:

The PS3 version has bigger, easier-to-read text and more detailed shadows for the characters, but also takes longer to save and load your game (as it has a separate system data file to save, which the Vita version does not).

The Vita version has AR mode and slightly better framerate in some circumstances, but some of the text is so tiny that it can be hard to read.

These are all fairly minor differences, though -- for the most part, the two versions are more or less the same game everywhere that counts.

The PS4's additions include faster loading, extra items and graphic mods, and a streaming mode.

If any of these things are important, then you might want to wait. If not, pick it up now!
here are the early impressions from the neogaf of the game between the different versions

so I should have my xillia 2 collectors on tuesday according to my shipping info... so I will let people know if it is the right version when I get home from work that day if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

I was afraid of that. Mine is shipping from California to Texas, so I won't get mine until probably next Tuesday/Wednesday. Oh well, at least we get something extra regardless of what it is.

Been playing Akiba's Trip on the vita. The dialouge in the game is great. Been taking a lot of screenshots.

v2jZfPP.jpg
OXqi11X.jpg

Target's $15 off with pre order is only good on games $39.99 or more now. And does not work with pricematching.
It depends on the employee you get. Have you not been following the Sunday Ad thread? Many CAGs have had success PMing games to <$39.99 price points and getting the $15 off to stack, but again, it depends on the employee you get when PMing.

The problem is that none of the stuff they have at Target is a particularly good deal even after PM and $15 off. Checked all their PS3 and Vita games, nothing was appealing. It's a shame they have such a limited in-store stock range. Granted I could have done the BB trade-in thing people are doing but I don't care enough for flipping to put that much effort into it.

So I'm looking to add to my 360/ps3 rpg collection 

Here's what I have:

Xbox 360:

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

Enchanted Arms

FF13 

FF13-2

Infinite Undiscovery

Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey

Magna Carta 2

Phantasy Star Universe

Tales of Vesperia

PS3:

Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha & Logy
Disgaea 3
Dragon Age 1&2
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Folklore
Hyperdimension neptunia MK2 & Victory
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Mass Effect Trilogy
Ni No Kuni
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Time and Eternity........it had cool box art okay
Valkyria Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2

anything I should be on the look out for

Here's what I have:

Xbox 360:
Blue Dragon
Eternal Sonata
Enchanted Arms
FF13
FF13-2
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Lost Odyssey
Magna Carta 2
Phantasy Star Universe
Tales of Vesperia

PS3:
Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha & Logy
Disgaea 3
Dragon Age 1&2
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Folklore
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Mass Effect Trilogy
Ni No Kuni
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Valkyria Chronicles

I don't care what anyone says DO NOT buy last remnant I fell in love with the box art played it for 2 days and returned it the whole game is like walking out of pallet town and into a cave filled with level 75 zubats. Anyways, sir do yourself and everyone else around you a giant favor and go buy disgaea1-2(psn) 4and the new one (d2 I believe), 1abd 4 were my favorite. Next buy anything persona/shin megami that you can (psn is it so far for ps3 but persona 5 will hit retail within a year :D) we will see you in a few months, a changed man.

Here's what I have:

Xbox 360:

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

Enchanted Arms

FF13

FF13-2

Infinite Undiscovery

Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey

Magna Carta 2

Phantasy Star Universe

Tales of Vesperia

PS3:

Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha & Logy
Disgaea 3
Dragon Age 1&2
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Folklore
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Mass Effect Trilogy
Ni No Kuni
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Valkyria Chronicles

Alpha Protocol

Disgaea 4

Disgaea D2

The Guided Fate Paradox

Here's what I have:

Xbox 360:

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

Enchanted Arms

FF13

FF13-2

Infinite Undiscovery

Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey

Magna Carta 2

Phantasy Star Universe

Tales of Vesperia

PS3:

Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha & Logy
Disgaea 3
Dragon Age 1&2
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Folklore
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Mass Effect Trilogy
Ni No Kuni
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Valkyria Chronicles

360:

If you like Western RPG's and don't already have on PC~

The Witcher 2

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga (Worlds better than Ego Draconis and one of my fav's!)

PS3:

Yakuza series (Not RPG's at all but full of Japanese goodness and have great stories)

Here's what I have:

Xbox 360:

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

Enchanted Arms

FF13

FF13-2

Infinite Undiscovery

Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey

Magna Carta 2

Phantasy Star Universe

Tales of Vesperia

PS3:

Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha & Logy
Disgaea 3
Dragon Age 1&2
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Folklore
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Mass Effect Trilogy
Ni No Kuni
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Valkyria Chronicles

You should get Eternal Sonata for the PS3 for the better version.

I really liked Record of Agarest War. The first one is great. Zero is pretty much a copy of of the first. Two is bad.

It depends on the employee you get. Have you not been following the Sunday Ad thread? Many CAGs have had success PMing games to <$39.99 price points and getting the $15 off to stack, but again, it depends on the employee you get when PMing.
I have been but that comes down to lazy employees. If it isn't suppose to work and comes down to lazy or uneducated employees then it doesn't work normally. I work in retail and know that promotions and pricematching does not stack or work together.

I don't care what anyone says DO NOT buy last remnant I fell in love with the box art played it for 2 days and returned it the whole game is like walking out of pallet town and into a cave filled with level 75 zubats. Anyways, sir do yourself and everyone else around you a giant favor and go buy disgaea1-2(psn) 4and the new one (d2 I believe), 1abd 4 were my favorite. Next buy anything persona/shin megami that you can (psn is it so far for ps3 but persona 5 will hit retail within a year :D) we will see you in a few months, a changed man.
I actually have last remnant on pc. Suppository the 360 version runs like ass.

on witch and the hundred knights I remember reading it has freezing issues and is thus practically unplayable.  so yeah that definitely makes it a bad game. Just for different reasons than time and eternity and last rebellion.

It runs ok on the 360 minus the bad load times.  And even after it loads its still loading in game. Like go make a sandwich, make another sandwich, go to the bathroom bad.  Even with install. 

The main issue with last remnant is no one knows how to play it and the game is like ff12 an offline mmo with too much tedious crap. As in low drop and spawn rates and random uber monsters can sometimes spawn annoyingly. Minor issues being the mc needs to do sidequests to learn abilities like how to use items then grind usage counts for them.  I also didn't care for how they limit your units count, limit to 1 summon on the field, summons you can't control and only allow 6 generals.  Why give 25 slots if you can only use a max of like 18 units? well 19 counting summons. and why the hell have so many generals?

I beat a super boss in 4 turns which is supposedly impossible to do as well.  However the lv 75 zubats thing is bs.  the game is for the most part easy/normal.  The only skill bump was the bird monster with its pertification or whatever breath.

The only strat I really figured out was divide your party up and have each party take a role in combat. 1 summon and 1 or 2 units tank damage and try to deal a little.  1-2 attack units (usually cat guy spamming cerulean rain) then have 2 units heal/revive the tank unit and summon. 

tldr the game was a mess and some of the issues are fixed in the pc version plus added content but it was an ok game that had promise and dared to be different.  If I could edit the game it would be a hell of alot more fun though.

I actually have last remnant on pc. Suppository the 360 version runs like ass.
Best typo ever. :lol:

It's been pretty easy to keep track of JRPG's this generation but here's some I can think of your list is missing:

:ps3: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles

:ps3: Drakengard 3

:ps3: :360: Lightning Returns (hey, you've got FFXIII and 2 so why not)

:ps3: Witch and the Hundred Knight

:ps3: :360: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (a personal favorite - skip the 360 version, which requires a second disc just to install normal-res textures :puke: )

:ps3: Dragon's Crown (a beat-em-up, but with a very robust loot system and great co-op)

:ps3: Xillia 2 (obvs)

:ps3: 3D Dot Game Heroes

:ps3: Demon's Souls (Dark Souls I & II are both better on PC)

I need to track down some of these myself before they become impossible to find. As well as a few for Wii I don't already have too.

Here's what I have:

Xbox 360:

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

Enchanted Arms

FF13

FF13-2

Infinite Undiscovery

Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey

Magna Carta 2

Phantasy Star Universe

Tales of Vesperia

PS3:

Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha & Logy
Disgaea 3
Dragon Age 1&2
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Folklore
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Mass Effect Trilogy
Ni No Kuni
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Valkyria Chronicles

well the titles coming out this year that have promise would be fairy fencer f, xillia 2 and ar no surge. Zestiria and persona 5 are tba for next year. there's also kh 2.5? which includes a supposedly better version of birth by sleep from the psp.

ff13-3 lightning returns came out already so if you liked the first 2 and feel like finishing the trilogy try the demo and if you like it you make like the game. Though be warned of course that the demo is modded much like 13-2 to be more fun than the actual game will be. The start is slow until you collect better schimatas and such.

If you liked the 2 atelier titles you may want to pick up the other 3 ps3 trio arland series until the 3rd dusk game shallie comes out. rorona plus, meruru and totori. Don't bother with rorona original as its mediocre and not worth the cheap price with the rorona remake out.

Best typo ever. :lol:

It's been pretty easy to keep track of JRPG's this generation but here's some I can think of your list is missing:

:ps3: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles

:ps3: Drakengard 3

:ps3: :360: Lightning Returns (hey, you've got FFXIII and 2 so why not)

:ps3: Witch and the Hundred Knight

:ps3: :360: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (a personal favorite - skip the 360 version, which requires a second disc just to install normal-res textures :puke: )

:ps3: Dragon's Crown (a beat-em-up, but with a very robust loot system and great co-op)

:ps3: Xillia 2 (obvs)

:ps3: 3D Dot Game Heroes

:ps3: Demon's Souls (Dark Souls I & II are both better on PC)

I need to track down some of these myself before they become impossible to find. As well as a few for Wii I don't already have too.
Lol I have no idea how that even happened.

The Last Remnant was supposed to be on the PS3, but it never happened. :lol: Still wish for it. 

As for Akiba's Trip, I was originally going to buy it for the PS3, but I recently got a PS4. So I'll be getting that one. Been watching some Gameplay Vids, and I really like the dialogue. Nanashi's (MC) sister is pretty funny imo. Broski. 

"You disappeared on me. As expense for my grief. Buy me a shirt."

"Next time you cause me pain, I will make you bankrupt" 

Paraphrased lines of course.

3D Dot Heroes is underrated but a good game. You can get a really wide sword and its awesome to use. 

on witch and the hundred knights I remember reading it has freezing issues and is thus practically unplayable. so yeah that definitely makes it a bad game. Just for different reasons than time and eternity and last rebellion.
Sorry you had such a bad experience with the game. Personally I only had it freeze on me once during my plat grind, which was during a 10+ hr long session so more factors than just the game come into play at that point.

Now if you want to talk about a freezing issue that makes a game unplayable then I would direct you to both of the Mugen Soulz games. They were in the processes of releasing a patch the 2nd game but I haven't been on it in weeks to see if they actually got the patch through Sony yet.

Its been a pretty good month. PDF 2nd gets US release date, two different sales commemorating doujin games on steam and humble, and Akiba's Trip finally came out.

Still the best news of all is that Working!! is getting a season 3
OK, I give. What in the blazes is "PDF 2nd"? :whistle2:k

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back