Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Secret of Mana was awesome with a friend or two.....otherwise eh it was decent but not great. Seiken Densetsu 3 or however you spell it was a great 2 player game and single player game but the third player didn't work. Legend of Mana I was never impressed with esp with how buggy it was for 2 players (weapon skills would unlock for wrong players and wouldn't be able to unlock again...terrible game with 2 really)....was pretty as heck but a big step down IMHO. Still very alright compared to what came later.

No Seiken Densetsu 3?
Was about to mention that. I've only played Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3, but 3 was really good.

SoM was easily top 3 games for SNES, yeah.
The batle system turned me away from Secret of Mana. I tried a few times and just couldn't find it fun.

Having never played it myself, I can't say. :oops:
Really? You should. It was great. I thought it was much better than Secret of Mana which I didn't like very much due to the battle system.

SoM was easily top 3 games for SNES, yeah.

Also, FF13 confirmed for Steam for 10/9: http://store.steampowered.com/app/292120/

Edit: Includes Japanese audio!
Top 10? Yes.

Top 3? No.

Chrono Trigger has to be in the top 3. So you have two spots remaining. I can think of about 5 others above Secret of Mana.

Super Mario RPG

Final Fantasy III(VI)

Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past

Earthbound

Super Metroid

Tetris Attack(My sleeper or dark horse)

You have to remember that SNES was part of a "Golden Era" of gaming. Half of the games we can still play now and enjoy. My question is what rounds out your top 3? (sorry for the derail)

Top 10? Yes.

Top 3? No.

Chrono Trigger has to be in the top 3. So you have two spots remaining. I can think of about 5 others above Secret of Mana.

Super Mario RPG

Final Fantasy III(VI)

Earthbound

Super Metroid

You got to remember that SNES was part of a "Golden Era" of gaming. Half of the games we can still play now and enjoy. My question is what rounds out your top 3? (sorry for the derail)
I would consider super mario rpg, ff6 and link to the past to be above chrono trigger (I would also consider secret of mana above it as well as quite a few other games :p) you also can't forget super mario world and kirby's superstar those are way up there for me as well.

chrono trigger was enjoyable, but I don't consider it nearly as good as most people do... heck I don't even consider it better than chrono cross :p

Top 10? Yes.

Top 3? No.

Super Mario RPG

Final Fantasy III(VI)

Earthbound

Super Metroid

You have to remember that SNES was part of a "Golden Era" of gaming. Half of the games we can still play now and enjoy. My question is what rounds out your top 3? (sorry for the derail)
Actually I wouldn't consider any of those in the top 3. FFIV yes. Not sure what I'd say the 3rd game is.

Why not all 3 games in a bundle?
Because they haven't done 13-2 and 13-3 yet, presumably. I'm sure once they're all released we'll start seeing bundles. Keep in mind that SE doesn't sell FF cheap. They're asking $16 for FFIV on Steam not even including The After Years.

Was about to mention that. I've only played Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3, but 3 was really good.

The batle system turned me away from Secret of Mana. I tried a few times and just couldn't find it fun.

Really? You should. It was great. I thought it was much better than Secret of Mana which I didn't like very much due to the battle system.
Really? What changes in Seiken Densetsu 3 made it better? I thought the differences between 2 (secret of mana) and 3 was like the difference between FFXIII and FFXIII-2. I thought it was the same battle system with minor tweaks.

What made 3 awesome was the character selection and class customization. Your story line was different based on lead character. You could almost have an unbeatable game with the wrong classes.

Seiken Densetsu 3 would be an insta-sale if they released it.

yeah instead they are turning into loli moe blobs of crap with a major focus on sex sells and the same stale archetypes and themes we've had for decades.
I don't mind whatever fanservice people put in their games as long as they're fun to play. I'd rather play Danganronpa or Demon Gaze over The Last of Us in a heartbeat. I'm far from the majority, but if praising a game for being a tired corridor shooter/movie is the future of video games, then I'll keep playing my moe blobs.

Sucks. But I want to play as Elphet dammit. Wheres Bridget when you need him? :lol: My guess is for the inevitable follow up - Guilty Gear Xrd Accent Core Sign or whatever nonsensical title it will be

Really? What changes in Seiken Densetsu 3 made it better? I thought the differences between 2 (secret of mana) and 3 was like the difference between FFXIII and FFXIII-2. I thought it was the same battle system with minor tweaks.

What made 3 awesome was the character selection and class customization. Your story line was different based on lead character. You could almost have an unbeatable game with the wrong classes.

Seiken Densetsu 3 would be an insta-sale if they released it.
Secret of Mana's gameplay is much clunkier than Seiken Densetsu 3. The charge time in-between attacks is also really lame.

Completely agree on what you said about SD 3. It felt like the game was different each time when you picked a different main character. I felt like that part was really well done. And each of the different classes felt like they had something to offer the others didn't. (except maybe Carlie.) That's what really made me like the game and made me put it up there with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. Though my favorite SNES game is still Tales of Phantasia.

Oh man. Pretty happy it's coming out for Vita even though I'll probably get the PS4 one if I get one by the time it's released.

What's the storyline for Ys? I've only played MoC which I heard was like a remake of 4 or something?

Oh man. Pretty happy it's coming out for Vita even though I'll probably get the PS4 one if I get one by the time it's released.

What's the storyline for Ys? I've only played MoC which I heard was like a remake of 4 or something?
There's no great overarching story. Adol Christin is a wondering hero, always a new kingdom to save and all that.

Characters reappear, but the stories are completely episodic, except 1+2.

You're pretty much fine in playing them in any order (Ys I & II and Ys Origin are connected to each other the most). Some references to other games and recurring characters, such as Dogi and Geis, are present.

I hope it's better than MoC. MoC is hard to push through. I don't care for the travel and all the settings so far are very similar. Plus the combat is bland compared to Oath.

You're pretty much fine in playing them in any order (Ys I & II and Ys Origin are connected to each other the most). Some references to other games and recurring characters, such as Dogi and Geis, are present.
So like Origin -> Ys 1 & 2 and the rest I can just play in whatever the hell order I want? I've only played MoC and bought Origin for steam a while ago. Probably going to try that then play 1&2. Then just play whatever the hell I can find afterwards. I think I have one of them for PS2.

Thanks for the info:)

So like Origin -> Ys 1 & 2 and the rest I can just play in whatever the hell order I want? I've only played MoC and bought Origin for steam a while ago. Probably going to try that then play 1&2. Then just play whatever the hell I can find afterwards. I think I have one of them for PS2.

No, play Ys 1&2 first. Those are the oldest. Origin was a prequel made later and has identical gameplay to Oath (it came out after Oath.) If you play Origin then go to 1&2 then you'll be have a huge step down in gameplay due to 1&2 being so much older.

No, play Ys 1&2 first. Those are the oldest. Origin was a prequel made later and has identical gameplay to Oath (it came out after Oath.) If you play Origin then go to 1&2 then you'll be have a huge step down in gameplay due to 1&2 being so much older.
Alright. Thanks. Gonna try the PSP one.

Blasphemy! Ys 1+2's gameplay is iconic. The series went down hill after it added an attack button.

That would be VI-The Ark of Naphistim. Good game, some people don't like it but I thought it was great.

Majunun is the true face of suffering.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/19/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-will-include-english-japanese-voices/

Dual audio confirmed for Type 0. fuck it, I'm in. As if the FFXV demo wasn't tempting enough.
Daniel+Bryan+yes.gif

Those English voices left a lot to be desired, so Japanese all the way for me!

People have such wierd opinions about Ys 1 & 2.

I fail to see how it'd be difficult to play them specifically after other Ys games. One assumes most people have played Zelda, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia....whatever....that play like the 'modern' Ys games too.

I have no problems with the "bump system", it's simply a different sort of gameplay. But that doesn't mean just because it's 'classic' means the other one is worse.

People have such wierd opinions about Ys 1 & 2.

I fail to see how it'd be difficult to play them specifically after other Ys games. One assumes most people have played Zelda, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia....whatever....that play like the 'modern' Ys games too.

I have no problems with the "bump system", it's simply a different sort of gameplay. But that doesn't mean just because it's 'classic' means the other one is worse.
I've come into the Ys universe somewhat late, so I'm just now starting to try and go back to the older games. I checked out Ys 1&2 release for the PSP and will definitely snag it on PSP or the PC. Reminds me of Link to the Past for the SNES a little. Of course, I'm an older player, so those types of games very much appeal to me.

That's been on my radar for a while. They announced a couple of Valkryia Chronicles characters (one fighter one support) but I'm still hoping they announce a few more before release. I'm sure there will be dlc, but that's kind of a pain since I was planning to get the vita version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGDHZeXZhCI

Shinovi Versus is coming out on October 14th, pretty unsurprising considering Amazon updated their release date a while back. Burst was pretty mediocre but I might puck this one up if it's significantly better.

Edit: Ninja'd

Nice I hope it's a bit better than burst....but I'm glad it's coming.
Never played burst, but I platinum the JP version of Shinovi Versus. It was enjoyable, although a bit repetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back