Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
To those of you who pre-ordered Persona 4 ultra. I hadn't done so because i figured id get it at price drop. But evidently gamestop had some tarot card and punching bag pre order bonus. I went in and they had some extra copies left. Is everything just packaged with the game? I can see the punching bag but not really the tarrot cards unless its the little folder on the side

I was wondering if this was a GS exclusive or if all first print runs are like this. Does anyone know? Do Best Buy copies have the cards and punching bag? If so i'll just order one from there and return this GS one. Its a bit dinged up anyway

decided to go ahead and get lets get hooked on since its 5 for plus members, i know it isn't that great of a game but at that price i figured i wouldn't regret using the memory card space since any full game over 10 isn't worth waisting memory card space and i hate to support digital

To those of you who pre-ordered Persona 4 ultra. I hadn't done so because i figured id get it at price drop. But evidently gamestop had some tarot card and punching bag pre order bonus. I went in and they had some extra copies left. Is everything just packaged with the game? I can see the punching bag but not really the tarrot cards unless its the little folder on the side

I was wondering if this was a GS exclusive or if all first print runs are like this. Does anyone know? Do Best Buy copies have the cards and punching bag? If so i'll just order one from there and return this GS one. Its a bit dinged up anyway
It comes in a bigger makeshift cardboard box contraption with the Cards/Bopup showing in the back. Considering that (And the added shelf space it would require). It should be in every single first print copy, though Best Buy already screwed up the launch so I wouldn't trust them totally on that. (No physical stores stocking it, despite taking pre-orders instore)

I got my copy of P4AU in the mail today and the top & bottom packaging was a bit crushed. Part of the blame lies with BB using a bubble mailer, but part of the blame definitely lies with Atlus and the poor packaging design. For those who haven't seen it, it's like a slip cover that opens on the narrow side, but it's missing the front side so that the ps3 game case shows. The Teddy bopper is too big to fit, so it pushes one side of the game up, past the slip case, while the other side of the game easily gets pushed down.

Welp according to a mod at the BB forums, it should have been impossible to place an instore preorder due to being online only.....yet it was able to via kiosks for months....

Stay golden BB. Got a copy at GS (But pissed I had to spend 12$ more)
I pre-ordered at the kiosk as well and was excited to pick up my copy today. But then the guy told me they had no idea when shipments for the game were coming, so that was pretty dumb. Ended up getting it at Gamestop as well. Dumb Bestbuy :/
Was super excited heading in to Best Buy, but same deal for me. .. They looked around for like 20 minutes trying to find, then discovered that they received no copies and that none were on the way. There was one that appeared to be ordered, but was in a strange state where it might be shipping but they couldn't tell when or find any other info and was not like any typical order they had ever seen.

Oddly, there was another store about 40 minutes away that the computer showed as the only local store to receive any and that they had 170 copies.

While they were looking for it, I read some posts that others were running into the same issue and not realizing that the pre-order bonuses were actually in all day one copies, I picked up the last one at the Gamestop I usually go to. Very bummed out that I paid the extra $12 and now have to deal with getting my preorder money back, but both the cards and the Teddy inflatable are much bigger than I expected and very glad I did not miss.

Started up Natural Doctrine. It's not near as confusing as reviews are making it out to be. I can confirm that one death = instant defeat, but when I did have that happen it gave me the opportunity to go back to a checkpoint just before. How often it creates checkpoints I've no idea, though. It feels kind of like FFT in tone and Valkyria Chronicles in gameplay. Only through the tutorial and first area so far, but it seems pretty interesting. 4 trophy pops just going through that, too. And it looks like the majority of the trophies will pop during the campaign. Half the MP trophies should pop almost immediately, but the other half will be a grind-fest. Bummer there.

I got my copy of P4AU in the mail today and the top & bottom packaging was a bit crushed. Part of the blame lies with BB using a bubble mailer, but part of the blame definitely lies with Atlus and the poor packaging design. For those who haven't seen it, it's like a slip cover that opens on the narrow side, but it's missing the front side so that the ps3 game case shows. The Teddy bopper is too big to fit, so it pushes one side of the game up, past the slip case, while the other side of the game easily gets pushed down.
I got mine from Gamestop and the packaging is just a jumbled mess. I thought it was a box set that was crushed to hell, but it's just an awkward piece of cardboard shrinkwrapped to hold the bop bag.

Great game, though.

though Best Buy already screwed up the launch so I wouldn't trust them totally on that. (No physical stores stocking it, despite taking pre-orders instore)
Yea, BBY's quote on the issue was real dumb

Both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax are online-only items, so it'd be difficult to know for certain why you would've been able to place orders at your local stores -- this should not have been possible. If you haven't already done so though, I'd encourage each of you to speak with the staff at your store's customer service desk about cancelling your existing in-store pre-order and placing a new order on BestBuy.com.
I get that it may have been a mistake, but don't you think that's something the customer should be told about? Logically speaking they are still be able to see that the pre-order is there, so they'd need to send out 1 unit per pre-order. I'm guessing it has to do with P4AU being a japanese title, but there have been countless other games where they were only in-stock online (or not at all) and they still fulfilled my pre-order.

This is really pushing me towards wanting to just start putting $5 down on 10x of every big box item and just cancel them so they're stuck with tons of giant items on the shelves.

so anyone has any opinions on Danganropa? I have the limited editions for 1 and 2 unopened/sealed but I don't have a psvita to play it with. Should I keep it or sell it? Is it a good game because I watched the anime and it was iffy for me.

so anyone has any opinions on Danganropa? I have the limited editions for 1 and 2 unopened/sealed but I don't have a psvita to play it with. Should I keep it or sell it? Is it a good game because I watched the anime and it was iffy for me.
They'll work on the Playstation TV if that makes the decision any easier. I LOVE both games and highly recommend them if they're what you're into (visual novel with some puzzle elements). I believe the anime is generally disliked. I feel like it missed the charm/point of the games which was to solve the cases with the evidence.

<=d The anime was really meh. It's like reading a Wikipedia entry on the story. Anyway, both of the games are really good and one of my favorites.

Watching the anime first kinda ruins the first game.

<=d The anime was really meh. It's like reading a Wikipedia entry on the story. Anyway, both of the games are really good and one of my favorites.

Watching the anime first kinda ruins the first game.
I watched the anime first, then played the game. I didn't think it ruined the game, though it did diminish my enjoyment of it. I'm still going back and forth over which game I think was better, but I did enjoy the second more because I had the first spoiled for me.

That said, both excellent games, both better than the anime, both well worth playing even if you've seen the anime.

I just finished the first game and will be starting the second soon - it was great! This is coming from a big 999 and Zero Escape: VLR fan.

That being said, I'd consider selling the LE's with the value of them being what they are right now, if you don't necessarily care about the extra stuff; you can then use a portion of that money to grab the first game and see if you like it.

Started up Natural Doctrine. It's not near as confusing as reviews are making it out to be. I can confirm that one death = instant defeat, but when I did have that happen it gave me the opportunity to go back to a checkpoint just before. How often it creates checkpoints I've no idea, though. It feels kind of like FFT in tone and Valkyria Chronicles in gameplay. Only through the tutorial and first area so far, but it seems pretty interesting. 4 trophy pops just going through that, too. And it looks like the majority of the trophies will pop during the campaign. Half the MP trophies should pop almost immediately, but the other half will be a grind-fest. Bummer there.
Thanks for the feedback--my copy is on the way. I have been getting a little discouraged reading the reviews but I'm still going to give it a shot.

sell them, use the money to buy the games in non LE version as well as a vita and then play them :p

Hey you guys. Haven't been on in a while since my laptop stopped working. I've been playing Akiba's Trip and recently Fairy Fencer a lot, especially Akiba's Trip.

Went in yesterday to get Persona 4 Arena Ultimax that I had preordered at Best Buy at the kiosk and was told they didn't have it. I read some earlier posts that people said that BB messed up and they shouldn't have allowed it to be preordered in-store as it was an online-only game. I got a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get the cards as that was the main reason I pre-ordered it. Thankfully Gamestop had a lot of copies left, as I saw about 5 of them when they were opening the drawer. If I do end up getting my BB order, I'll just have to return it.

Going to start playing some P4AU and was wondering if anyone else wanted to play with/against me. I haven't played the original, but I tend to be pretty good at fighters once I get the hang of it.

My PSN is Kameleon-san if anyone wants to add me.

Went in yesterday to get Persona 4 Arena Ultimax that I had preordered at Best Buy at the kiosk and was told they didn't have it. I read some earlier posts that people said that BB messed up and they shouldn't have allowed it to be preordered in-store as it was an online-only game. I got a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get the cards as that was the main reason I pre-ordered it. Thankfully Gamestop had a lot of copies left, as I saw about 5 of them when they were opening the drawer. If I do end up getting my BB order, I'll just have to return it.
Like I posted above, BBY CS confirmed the only way to get it is to cancel your in store pre-order and order it online. Nice thing is that they shipped the game overnight even though I chose the Elite Plus free 2 day, so I have it already. As the sku's state on the website, it is the bundle version, so it came with the teddie & tarot cards.

Regarding Danganronpa, I would buy regular edition and KEEP the other two sealed, it's literally that good (til you platinum and are no longer surprised--though I'd still keep it if you are fortunate enough to get diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease later in life).

Like I posted above, BBY CS confirmed the only way to get it is to cancel your in store pre-order and order it online. Nice thing is that they shipped the game overnight even though I chose the Elite Plus free 2 day, so I have it already. As the sku's state on the website, it is the bundle version, so it came with the teddie & tarot cards.
I see. Guess I'll stop by tomorrow and cancel it then re-order. I was thinking of doing that today but figured they'd send me it without the extras If I ordered online, so I didn't bother doing anything.

I don't mind waiting (as I don't have Elite Plus), so even if they don't get it out to me right away it's fine. Though I guess this means I'll have to return the Gamestop copy.

How is Play-Asia usually with shipping?  Considering getting a White Vita TV since they're on sale right now for $93.88 ($76.98 + $16.90 S&H) to match the PS4 and Vita.  People have claimed the new update that just came out allowed them to use their US accounts.

How is Play-Asia usually with shipping? Considering getting a White Vita TV since they're on sale right now for $93.88 ($76.98 + $16.90 S&H) to match the PS4 and Vita. People have claimed the new update that just came out allowed them to use their US accounts.
I ordered Danganronpa from them on 8/27, was given an updated shipping date of 9/10 and it finally shipped on 9/22, despite being in 24h status when I ordered and at least one more time a week or two later. I still haven't received it btw...

I ordered from them once before for some import games a few years ago, so I'm not too worried (yet) about not receiving what I ordered, but if time is a factor I wouldn't count on them.

I ordered Danganronpa from them on 8/27, was given an updated shipping date of 9/10 and it finally shipped on 9/22, despite being in 24h status when I ordered and at least one more time a week or two later. I still haven't received it btw...

I ordered from them once before for some import games a few years ago, so I'm not too worried (yet) about not receiving what I ordered, but if time is a factor I wouldn't count on them.
Yeah, PA was more reliable before when I ordered, but their service has gone downhill. When I heard about that more recent ordering fiasco (where they refused to refund your money and issued store credit instead), I decided to use them only as a last resort.

How is Play-Asia usually with shipping? Considering getting a White Vita TV since they're on sale right now for $93.88 ($76.98 + $16.90 S&H) to match the PS4 and Vita. People have claimed the new update that just came out allowed them to use their US accounts.

Where did you see that?

Over at neogaf people were mentioning the new update was letting them link their US accounts but the store was still locked.

It's possible I'm infant caused sleep deprived but I don't know what this means

Yeah, earlier this year, there was a HUGE shipping issue with FFX & X2. It took them almost 3 months from ordering to delivery for most(if not all). I was actually able to get a real refund, as I told them giving me a store credit was not acceptable, as I didn't buy the game that way, so I didn't want to be refunded in that manner. They made me jump through hoops, round and round, but made good in the end.

So to answer the question, this was the first issue I ever had after many years of 1-2 week shipping times. They really soured me on their whole company with this BS. They appear to still be OK, but I recommend paying with Paypal, and keeping track of the time. If your package has not arrived within 45 days, open a claim with PP. Then it will be up to Play-Asia to prove you received your package, and if not, PP will refund you ASAP.

Did anyone else not get their beanie with their copy of Fairy Fencer?  I finally got mine yesterday since it shipped with Natural Doctrine and I didn't get the darn beanie :/

it is not for the faint of heart. one review says it is a game perfect for masochists
I believe that. It looked ok at first, but I watched several hours of someone streaming it and they pretty much died over and over for hours. I don't usually shy away from "hard" games either, but the rest of the content just didn't seem interesting enough to put up with that lol.

Did anyone else not get their beanie with their copy of Fairy Fencer? I finally got mine yesterday since it shipped with Natural Doctrine and I didn't get the darn beanie :/
Honestly for mine Danganronpa and Ar nosurge and Fairy Fencer F still haven't arrived at my house yet. They shipped it last Friday and I am still waiting for them. This hasn't happened before with Nis America so I am wondering why it's taking sooo long ughhh!

I believe that. It looked ok at first, but I watched several hours of someone streaming it and they pretty much died over and over for hours. I don't usually shy away from "hard" games either, but the rest of the content just didn't seem interesting enough to put up with that lol.
i just don't think i would have the patience to sit through that process. i am scare i might rage , and throw the controller at my tv. i almost did that a few times in borderlands 2, because of their stupid enemy respawn system after you died

i love the concept of natural doctrine  but the difficulty  curve  turn me off i do hope it sell well enough for a improve sequel as i love for the game franchise to succeed i will try it around $20.

another game type that rare an i want see lot more of is shop sim like Recetter: AN Item Shop's Tale

i just don't think i would have the patience to sit through that process. i am scare i might rage , and throw the controller at my tv. i almost did that a few times in borderlands 2, because of their stupid enemy respawn system after you died
Eh, I'm planning on taking it in small doses. Maybe try and grind a little here and there as well. Won't stop me from dieing because I opened a door or hit a switch though. I'll probably get to the point to where I move the difficulty to easy, which is something I've only done once or twice in games previously.

(I've died about half a dozen times or so and I'm only on the fourth story mission?)

Eh, I'm planning on taking it in small doses. Maybe try and grind a little here and there as well. Won't stop me from dieing because I opened a door or hit a switch though. I'll probably get to the point to where I move the difficulty to easy, which is something I've only done once or twice in games previously.

(I've died about half a dozen times or so and I'm only on the fourth story mission?)
what version are you playing? and are there any like technical issues like freeze/glitches?

I just cannot get into NAtURAL DOCtRINE. Anyone else have this problem?
How far in are you? I beat the dungeon with the giant bug thing in the mine last night. That was the 3rd fight if you include the tutorial. I died I think three times against it before I figured out the only way to win is to run as fast as you can and try to keep everybody away from the acid spit.

I actually killed the big one and two of the little things on my second attempt. Then more marched out of the mine and I realized at that point that you have to scram.

So far...I dunno. It's punishing and it's got that feel of making you mess up the first time or two to figure out the right approach. There's not much story/direction so far, so I'm hoping that comes in. Right now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing as nothing has really introduced a plot or anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back