Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't get very deep sales, so yeah, $20 (at best) is a bit steep to introduce myself to a series when there's no way to recoup that loss if I dislike the game.

Thanks everyone for all this good information. I think Demon Gaze may be a bit more forgiving than Etrian Odyysey and i'm sure once i get to a certain power point it will be easier. Should have some fun with, and then I will be ready for Persona Q in November....i'm excited for that one!
Demon Raging Mars will shred about the first 65% of the game with ease. Some of the later bosses can be a serious pain in the ass even on the lowest difficulties. When you get to particular fights and find yourself up against a brick wall, that's the game's way of telling you exactly why certain class setups just don't work. The last boss and the post-game last boss demolished my squads so many times. I really only won because I got lucky the times I did manage to get my hits off. I'd still recommend it, though. It was a well earned platinum.

I think the problem with the Atelier games is you know there will be a plus version, so it's hard to support every game plus they come out every year....i'm behind for sure. The plus versions aren't so much later either.....a year or so usually, compared to something like Disgaea 4 Vita which came 4 years after. Also for what I've seen the core games are always so similar so it's hard to be excited for them. Will I play them all someday...sure....but i'll wait and by then likely have plus versions of all of them.
disgaea 4 was 3 years later, it's always 3 years with Nis and their handheld ports :p

Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea is confirmed for NA/EU in early 2015...though I'm not sure where the NA confirmation originates since the tweet in question was from Koei-Tecmo Europe and no American release was mentioned AFAIK.

http://www.destructoid.com/atelier-shallie-confirmed-for-western-release-in-2015-282822.phtml
I am hoping they are smart and team up with NisA again and finally bring back the LE.

Anyone excited for The Legend of Korra video game? It's produced by Platinum Games and comes out tomorrow. I'm personally going to get it on PC (huge PC buff/PC maester race). Not to mention Bayonetta 2 coming out later this week.

Also, not ashamed to admit I love Legend of Korra/ATLA. Any other fans in here? Yeah, I know it's not true anime, being a western made cartoon, but it's just so damn good. It takes many ideas from Chinese culture and Japanese anime, creating something awesome.

Anyone excited for The Legend of Korra video game? It's produced by Platinum Games and comes out tomorrow. I'm personally going to get it on PC (huge PC buff/PC maester race). Not to mention Bayonetta 2 coming out later this week.

Also, not ashamed to admit I love Legend of Korra/ATLA. Any other fans in here? Yeah, I know it's not true anime, being a western made cartoon, but it's just so damn good. It takes many ideas from Chinese culture and Japanese anime, creating something awesome.
excited no... going to get it at some point yes.

From what I have seen it looks good, but being a $15 downloadable title instead of a full retail release leaves me pause to be excited as they likely had to cut corners to make the game given it's a licensed game. Beyond that at this point nothing within the next 6 weeks excites me aside from the single game i will start playing on nov 4th.. the binding of isaac rebirth.

I am, looks quite awesome. The fact that Platinum made it makes it an instant buy for me.

Hyped for Bayonetta 2 as well, still working to finish platinum-ing 1 before it comes out lol.

excited no... going to get it at some point yes.

From what I have seen it looks good, but being a $15 downloadable title instead of a full retail release leaves me pause to be excited as they likely had to cut corners to make the game given it's a licensed game. Beyond that at this point nothing within the next 6 weeks excites me aside from the single game i will start playing on nov 4th.. the binding of isaac rebirth.
It's cheap because it's short. The story should take about 4 hours to complete.

It's cheap because it's short. The story should take about 4 hours to complete.
regardless I am hoping it's decent, but the combat doesn't looks up to snuff with normal plat games stuff. It looks more like a dynasty warriors game then a platinum hack and slash. Not that it would be a big turn off if it was that way as I like DW games... it's partially just my mindset. I would rather have this been a $40 retail game that I could buy physically and put next to my korra blu rays then a digital only title that I will likely forget about... and in general aside from a select few games I won't buy digital games unless they are at least 50% off, or under $10.

beyond that it's coming at a crappy time. It should have been designed and released earlier in the year when there was less competition and season 2/3 was still relevant instead of now near bayo 2 and hyrule warriors.

I like legend of korra but mainly just the first and some of the 3rd season. 4th season looks ok so far outside the obvious villain again. the second season was terrible and super cliche, they put too much focus on shipping and bolin was unbearable the entire season.  

I just fired up the first few hours of Tears to Tiara II to get a little in before bed. I've gotta say, so far, there's really a relaxing feel to it. The music is nice and the 2D visuals in the game are very pretty with nice, soft colors. The 3D graphics are extremely dated, though, but that's not a big deal for me.

The two characters I've seen so far show a lot of promise. They seem to have good personalities and a lot of depth.

I'm excited to play this one. Hopefully it'll be a hidden gem, much like the first Agarest War was to me.

Do you have a tracking number?

This sounds like your package got lost, not something best buy did.
nope not lost... tracking shows its been just sitting in oakland since the 9th. I guess i should really call but BBY's customer service is friggin garbage. Even for the eilte plus or whatever, they still suck. Figured easier to just order 2 more copies

Oh my god, you can have them race each other! :D
lol yea, im gonna laugh is th eones i ordered the other day get here first

So, picked up a Playstation TV last night.  Couple of impressions.  First, I was really surprised at how small it was.  Really Tiny.  Second, Streaming PS4 worked without issue but not all games were good to play that way.  Destiny was at bit blurry and choppy, while Dust ran pretty close to perfect, but was still a bit blurry to me.  Anyone else have a Remote Play experience that is different?

Third, Vita titles that worked versus not working.  I was unable to play the first couple of games I thought would work (should have looked at the list).  Finally, went with Sly Cooper and it was pretty clear and definitely fun to play on a big TV.  

Fourth, played a PSP game, Corpse Party, and it worked fine and looked better than I thought it would.

Fifth, kind of disappointed the Playstation TV bubble/selection screens were not clearer and without jaggies since it is clearly meant to play on a TV.  I understand Portable games that don't look as good, but the system screen should have been updated.

Sixth, I can't understand the lack of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.  I was going to move my PS3 to another room, but apparently not.  Definitely stupid on Sony's part not to have that stuff day one!

So, what's everyone else's thought on this system?

outside being able to play games on a big screen with a ps3/4 controller it has nothing else of worth

Only reason I even wanted it was for hearts r but ended up buying a regular vita since hearts r wasn't confirmed to be compatible via a patch again until just recently.

on another note scored shadow hearts covenant and from the new world for 19 and 20$ ln woot.  I've heard the games are really good but I wasn't interested in paying 40$+ 

I bought both of them from the same seller mochdaear so you may want to keep an eye out on that one in case they put up any more cheap titles.

outside being able to play games on a big screen with a ps3/4 controller it has nothing else of worth

Only reason I even wanted it was for hearts r but ended up buying a regular vita since hearts r wasn't confirmed to be compatible via a patch again until just recently.

on another note scored shadow hearts covenant and from the new world for 19 and 20$ ln woot. I've heard the games are really good but I wasn't interested in paying 40$+

I bought both of them from the same seller mochdaer so you may want to keep an eye out on that one in case they put up any more cheap titles.
You might want to play From the New World before Covenant, as the latter is superior to the former. I beat FtNW and started Covenant, and I can already feel that Covenant is better.

Fifth, kind of disappointed the Playstation TV bubble/selection screens were not clearer and without jaggies since it is clearly meant to play on a TV. I understand Portable games that don't look as good, but the system screen should have been updated.
Keep in mind Vita games are played originally on a 544p screen, NOT 720p. Games look better on the TV at default scaling, if you fill the whole screen, it'll scale and stretch the image (jaggies are easier to see). So either you have black borders and better picture, or jaggies. That's the tradeoff. This includes both the games and the PSVita menus. Though I get what you're saying, the PSTV menu's are different from the Vita menus, so why couldn't they render them at 720p?

As for my thoughts on the system. It's DOA. It's way too niche. And there are other devices/services that do what it does better. The only things that set it apart are being able to play a few Vita games (not a replacement for a Vita) and streaming PS4 content (drop in quality).

My favorite thing about it though is being able to use a DS4, though they could definitely improve it with touchpad integration.

+1 For Curtain Call. One of the few games where I often ran out of power on my 3ds and had to recharge. It's pretty much an RPG-lite rhythm game.

on another note scored shadow hearts covenant and from the new world for 19 and 20$ ln woot. I've heard the games are really good but I wasn't interested in paying 40$+

I bought both of them from the same seller mochdaear so you may want to keep an eye out on that one in case they put up any more cheap titles.
where is that seller from

PS TV question. Do you need to own a Vita/PSP to play them on the little PSTV or I can play them as long as the games are in my PSN

Bah, I missed the sale on Play-asia for Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost a few days ago. Anyone know when they will be having their next big store sale?

How much were they selling it for?
$37.99 for the Asian version. Not sure if there is a difference between the Asian and Japanese versions. I know sometimes there is so it's always worth noting in case one is superior to the other in some way.

Had it in my cart and was waiting for pay day on Friday then forgot till this morning about it. fuck

Senran Kagura Bon Appetite release date announced for 11/11/2014 for North America and 11/12/2014 for Europe. It will be digital only.

Announcement Trailer

Also supposedly the base game will cost $15 and the DLC will cost $15 as well. It has 10 songs to start with.

It's cheap enough i'll likely pick it up, but wish there was a physical version. Boobs and cooking though....sounds like a dream of mine. Should be fun!

Link

I'm reading that the Playstation TV / Vita TV still requires a Sony memory card (proprietary garbage as far as I'm concerned).

How bad is it? Do Vita games require a lot of space? I'm seeing these things sell in 8/16/32 GB.

anyone know how i call the Best Buy elite plus phone number? I dont see it on my account page anymore it says it should be on my membership card.. which i never got o_O Wanted to call about that senran kagura sitting in oakland

I'm reading that the Playstation TV / Vita TV still requires a Sony memory card (proprietary garbage as far as I'm concerned).

How bad is it? Do Vita games require a lot of space? I'm seeing these things sell in 8/16/32 GB.
Depends on the game, but a lot of the retail Vita games are usually in the 1-3 GB range.

So like...is there anywhere I can go relating to Best Buy to actually get some help with my issue?

My Senran Kagura still hasnt shipped, the store says to call the customer service to get it cancelled, customer services says they can't cancel and the store has to. Its not estimated to arrive till the 7th (If at all), and the forums keep deleting my posts...

About to just call my bank and dispute it or something. Shit is annoying

So like...is there anywhere I can go relating to Best Buy to actually get some help with my issue?

My Senran Kagura still hasnt shipped, the store says to call the customer service to get it cancelled, customer services says they can't cancel and the store has to. Its not estimated to arrive till the 7th (If at all), and the forums keep deleting my posts...

About to just call my bank and dispute it or something. Shit is annoying
call bestbuy and threaten them with the dispute with the bank. that is what i had to do one time. when my order was stuck in limbo, because their system error. so they finally started a case # for me.

call bestbuy and threaten them with the dispute with the bank. that is what i had to do one time. when my order was stuck in limbo, because their system error. so they finally started a case # for me.
I might do that, the last lady I spoke to offered me a 5$ Gift Card, so I just took that first before I threatened anything lol.

Pretty sure the guys on the forum are trolling me, they responded to other posts, but keep deleting/ignoring mine.

I might do that, the last lady I spoke to offered me a 5$ Gift Card, so I just took that first before I threatened anything lol.

Pretty sure the guys on the forum are trolling me, they responded to other posts, but keep deleting/ignoring mine.
their $5 is useless. i remember me calling bestbuy due to a damaged collectors edition. the lady i spoke to during my first phone call, offer me a $10 gift card for the trouble. 2 weeks went by nothing, so i called again, the person i spoke to the second time, said there was not indication of a $10 compensation gift card being sent all. so i had to explain everything again. it was during when bestbuy had 30 days return policy.

their $5 is useless. i remember me calling bestbuy due to a damaged collectors edition. the lady i spoke to during my first phone call, offer me a $10 gift card for the trouble. 2 weeks went by nothing, so i called again, the person i spoke to the second time, said there was not indication of a $10 compensation gift card being sent all. so i had to explain everything again. it was during when bestbuy had 30 days return policy.
Yeah I'll give them a call in a bit. Still don't see how they don't see this as an issue. Literally right on the site you can order it and receive it tomorrow, or by the 29th with Standard. How the heck is expedited taking an extra week than the latest standard date...

Threatening worked apparently....lady says she cancelled it and applied the note to the account. Now to order a copy at Amazon so I can actually get it in a timely manner

I've heard that the 3rd is a step down to the first 2 outside gameplay so I know to expect that much going in.
I'm afraid it's even in gameplay. Some weird design choices were made.

On topic, Natural doctrine is killing me. I just spent hours in the mine, beginning of the game, running away from those damn arthropods.

Yeah I'll give them a call in a bit. Still don't see how they don't see this as an issue. Literally right on the site you can order it and receive it tomorrow, or by the 29th with Standard. How the heck is expedited taking an extra week than the latest standard date...

Threatening worked apparently....lady says she cancelled it and applied the note to the account. Now to order a copy at Amazon so I can actually get it in a timely manner
i told you it would work.

You can get a 16gb card under $20 on ebay. I bought one for $17. Also the Vita TV has a built in 1GB of memory if you just want to use carts

On topic, Natural doctrine is killing me. I just spent hours in the mine, beginning of the game, running away from those damn arthropods.
Yeah, you have to do specific things to survive in that game. The ones that require escaping can be rough.

Korra's review scores are such a bummer... Will wait for the Flash sale or something on it at this point :/
People on CAG who are playing the game are saying good things. I'm installing now and will post my impressions, though I won't get much in tonight.

Beat the first 3 chapters of Korra. The first two are absolutely cake, but in the 3rd you get water bending back and start running into bending opponents. At that point you realize you're a squishy chick, which kinda sucks. The game definitely works in the counter and dodge system pretty strongly and it feels exactly like you'd expect a Platinum game to feel in combat once you start hitting the benders. Before that it feels kind of awkward.

There's really no story. No other characters so far aside from Korra. I don't know the Korra anime so I'm not missing anything there, but yeah Platinum put 0 effort into this part of the game.

The running part kind of sucks. I don't play runners, though. Maybe somebody that enjoys those will get more out of it. I expect that the trophy for finishing a flawless running level will be one of the harder ones. 

You might want to play From the New World before Covenant, as the latter is superior to the former. I beat FtNW and started Covenant, and I can already feel that Covenant is better.
I dont agree with that at ALL. FtNw(3rd game) is worse than Cov(2nd) in pretty much every regard IMO. Especially in the stoy/character department

i still remember this awesome comic lol

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/10/04

I've heard that the 3rd is a step down to the first 2 outside gameplay so I know to expect that much going in.
if your talking about Shadow Hearts yea... it definitely is.

Beat the first 3 chapters of Korra. The first two are absolutely cake, but in the 3rd you get water bending back and start running into bending opponents. At that point you realize you're a squishy chick, which kinda sucks. The game definitely works in the counter and dodge system pretty strongly and it feels exactly like you'd expect a Platinum game to feel in combat once you start hitting the benders. Before that it feels kind of awkward.

There's really no story. No other characters so far aside from Korra. I don't know the Korra anime so I'm not missing anything there, but yeah Platinum put 0 effort into this part of the game.

The running part kind of sucks. I don't play runners, though. Maybe somebody that enjoys those will get more out of it. I expect that the trophy for finishing a flawless running level will be one of the harder ones.
I got through getting back earth bending and what seems like most of what follows that section. Really disappointing, just seems kind of empty. The running parts I just don't like at all. And Korra keeps going on about how much damage she is responsible for in the city, yet you are running around trying to smash anything that is sitting around (the same few items). Just really feels like it is missing alot.

I think I spoke too soon. Hadnt received any confirmation email or anything, so I called the store and the order is still showing as pending....

This is really pissing me off now
did you try the BBY unboxed forums? You mention posts were getting deleted or something which i find odd... posting on the gaming forum there has always been quite helpfull and has usually gotten things resolved much faster than dealing with their idiot customer service number

I've yet to play the final Shadow Hearts game, but I really enjoyed the first two--flaws and all. They are unique enough that they actually stand out in the flood of JRPGs from that era. Let's also not ignore the fact that Covenant finishes the story that started in the first game, so it is the obvious next game to play if you have played the first. The third looks quite goofy and different. I fully plan on playing it, but it looks like a very different beast from the first two.

I've yet to play the final Shadow Hearts game, but I really enjoyed the first two--flaws and all. They are unique enough that they actually stand out in the flood of JRPGs from that era. Let's also not ignore the fact that Covenant finishes the story that started in the first game, so it is the obvious next game to play if you have played the first. The third looks quite goofy and different. I fully plan on playing it, but it looks like a very different beast from the first two.
Yea. I usually hate games that require strat guides to get most of the extras, but this games characters and unique gameplay and quirks made me not really mind having to use one. I also really liked the ending... it was kinda surprising and refreshing to see something play out to the logical finish without some bullshit Deus Ex Machina 'you win' bullshit jumping in at the end. Kinda depressing but it really fit with the game

3rd is ok, but definitely the weakest of the 3. The best thing about it is the drunken master giant cat in it =P Going from Yuri though as the main character to some annoying tween was a major bummer. If i want that crap i'll play a FF game

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back