Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the first Danganronpa went out of print? The price went way up on Amazon and my local GS is out now. :wall:
Most niche games don't even get a second print. It is usually just whatever stock finally sold out. If you want a physical copy better hurry.

Some news for anime fans: Funimation released their own app for PS3 last week and it looks like the full catalog is there, so plenty of stuff you won't see on Crunchyroll. The bad news is that most series are limited to two to four episodes if you want to watch for free.

There's plenty of video game adaptations: Devil May Cry, Danganronpa, Blazblue, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Sengoku Basara, World Destruction, Senran Kagura.
sounds like a waste of time. crunchyroll is a buggy mess so its not much competition to the better option of hulu. but really all pale in comparison to whats on the internet in general

sounds like a waste of time. crunchyroll is a buggy mess so its not much competition to the better option of hulu. but really all pale in comparison to whats on the internet in general
90% of the most new animes end up on youtube anyway. atleast most of the 2014 ones

Crunchyroll works fine for me.

I hate Hulu because of the ads so I rarely use it.
Same. I can't stand ads on a paid service like Hulu Plus. I've had some hiccups with Crunchyroll but still prefer it. I've used the premium discount on their shop deals plenty of times, too.

Feel free to add me on PSN. ID is commodorewheeler. Let me know yours as well, I've been getting a lot of friend requests from China that I've been ignoring.
PSN ID is Kameleon-san, I'll add you in a bit.

On-topic: Has the first Danganronpa ever been on sale? I feel like the second one has, but I might be mistaken.

That's what I had. Still has ads. That's what bothers me about it.
meh commercials on hulu don't bother me but It is stupid that it costs money to use it on my ps3 and other systems. And yeah youtube is nice but kinda unreliable since people put stuff up in parts among other issues. youtube of old was miles better despite lower vid quality. It was nice that zestirias ova was uploaded and subbed so quickly on youtube though.

PSN ID is Kameleon-san, I'll add you in a bit.

On-topic: Has the first Danganronpa ever been on sale? I feel like the second one has, but I might be mistaken.
Yeah, it dropped about $10 to $30 in a few places. If it's harder to find now, maybe that was to clear out stock and it worked. IIRC, it was also that price on PSN.

I think the second one has as well, but since I picked up the LE for that one I haven't made any mental notes about that being on sale.

I like crunchyroll since it streams 1080p and with great audio [5.1 7.1?]. It also airs everything asap.
Hulu plus Is ok but I get tired of the comercials quickly especially since they are usually mainstream crap idc about besides I only watch anime so that kinda kills most of hulus programming to me.

I'm also a hardcore fighting game fan ! :D

Is Record of Agarest War / Agarest: Generations of War much different between PC / console? I couldn't find much discussion about it online.

I own this game three times and haven't played it yet :| Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

I noticed submissions on HowLongToBeat are waaaay lower for PC. Like 40-60 hours vs ~150ish. (go here, click "submissions", wait for spinning thing. Site is a little slow)

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=7668

Is it that much faster on PC or something?

Is Record of Agarest War / Agarest: Generations of War much different between PC / console? I couldn't find much discussion about it online.

I noticed submissions on HowLongToBeat are waaaay lower for PC. Like 40-60 hours vs ~150ish. (go here, click "submissions", wait for spinning thing. Site is a little slow)

Play it. It's great.

So is the Final Fantasy Type-0 Collector's Edition sold out? I get an error every time I try and pre-order it on Square's site and it's not available on GameStop or Amazon.

Billing and shipping are the same.

I get the feeling the PS4 version is sold out.
I tested it just now, and the website let me pre-order a PS4 copy of the collector's edition. If you try again, hopefully it will go through for you the next time.

Side note: Thanks for reminding me about the Type-0 collector's edition in the first place. Completely forgot about it after Amazon sold out, so I'll leave this pre-order until Best Buy confirms whether they'll stock it or not.

Random and might not belong here.

I am thinking about importing Dragon Quest Heroes for the PS4, do you guys think the game would switch to English if you have your console set to English?

I bought Guilty Gear on the Japanese PSN and since my console was in English, everything was in English. I was just wondering if the DQ game would also support that feature.

Would any of you guys know by any chance?

Random and might not belong here.

I am thinking about importing Dragon Quest Heroes for the PS4, do you guys think the game would switch to English if you have your console set to English?

I bought Guilty Gear on the Japanese PSN and since my console was in English, everything was in English. I was just wondering if the DQ game would also support that feature.

Would any of you guys know by any chance?
I doubt it. Usually only games with simultaneous worldwide releases/released later in Japan have that.

I like crunchyroll since it streams 1080p and with great audio [5.1 7.1?]. It also airs everything asap.
Hulu plus Is ok but I get tired of the comercials quickly especially since they are usually mainstream crap idc about besides I only watch anime so that kinda kills most of hulus programming to me.

I'm also a hardcore fighting game fan ! :D
lol crunchyroll airs the same garbage commercials about bookless children, creepy old men but its ok they are parents, and white rhinos.

how long to beat is user submitted and is not a good starting point for the average person to use as a point of reference. on the same note it might run better on the pc where as the system versions have terrible technical issues. usually you need to put the game in and let it warm up for 5 min minimum. Though how that would make up that much of a time difference for it is beyond me.

Thanks for the heads up. Normally I can find "something" in a LE to make it worth purchasing, but for this one, I can't find a damn thing. I know these items are game specific, so maybe playing the game will make these items more interesting, but I just can't take the plunge. Maybe if this was 20, I would get it. Sadly, I think I'll wait for this or the standard game to reach 20, and which ever one makes it there first, get's my buy.

You made the classic mistake of not looking at the number of people polled. There were 3 players for PC and 4 players for PS3. Look at the disparity on PS3--longest and main are both 170 hours, which is probably the same person. So he just said "main" when he marked the game complete. Fastest and main+ are 110 hours, which indicates the same. What "main" and "main+" means to the people who submitted their time isn't clearly defined--they could have very different amounts of game content they played, but there's no real way to know that.

Basically the data is very unreliable because of how few people have submitted their times. Looking over the average of the three platforms, though, Main + is listed as taking 110-127 hours. I'd guess that to be your best estimate, but even then it's iffy because of the low number of submissions. Click on the "Submissions" tab to see every entry, though again there's so few that it's not super reliable which can be seen from one person saying they beat it the main story in 44 hours, which is 20 hours faster than the next runner-up.

If you're looking to get 100%, the playstationtrophies site guide lists it as taking 150+ hours. The xbox trophy guide 200+ hours. The difference could be due to the trophies and achievements being different or it could be another example of variance between different people and how efficiently they can play the game.

Thanks for the heads up. Normally I can find "something" in a LE to make it worth purchasing, but for this one, I can't find a damn thing. I know these items are game specific, so maybe playing the game will make these items more interesting, but I just can't take the plunge. Maybe if this was 20, I would get it. Sadly, I think I'll wait for this or the standard game to reach 20, and which ever one makes it there first, get's my buy.

You can get it for 20$ on amazon warehouse.. Well its limited edition but still you said your waiting for just the game for 20$ im sure the limited edition goodies are just bend/scratched/torn so its a winwin :p with the game case n game being fine

Yeah, it dropped about $10 to $30 in a few places. If it's harder to find now, maybe that was to clear out stock and it worked. IIRC, it was also that price on PSN.
I think the second one has as well, but since I picked up the LE for that one I haven't made any mental notes about that being on sale.
That makes sense. At the time I didn't have a PSTV so I didn't bother to get it. I guess I'll get it on PSN as a last resort if it ever goes on sale there.

That makes sense. At the time I didn't have a PSTV so I didn't bother to get it. I guess I'll get it on PSN as a last resort if it ever goes on sale there.
It will most likely be on sale during Golden Week. I believe it was $31 or $32 dollars during the last Golden Week sale. It dropped down to $19.99 during a sale in August, so it might be that price or cheaper next time it goes on sale.

Man, I want to have the Type-0 limited edition, but it really doesn't seem to offer $100 of value with those extras.   Not sure what to do.

Same here man, does anyone know if the amazon one sold out or they just didn't put it up for preorders yet? i have credit on there.
Sold out for now. I managed to preorder one back on Dec 16.

Gamestop's online only PS4 version pre-orders has also been sold out for several days despite being $10 more.

They won't. Cooking in the game is mostly useless, and the dish/bib aren't in the game.

You made the classic mistake of not looking at the number of people polled. There were 3 players for PC and 4 players for PS3. Look at the disparity on PS3--longest and main are both 170 hours, which is probably the same person. So he just said "main" when he marked the game complete. Fastest and main+ are 110 hours, which indicates the same. What "main" and "main+" means to the people who submitted their time isn't clearly defined--they could have very different amounts of game content they played, but there's no real way to know that.

Basically the data is very unreliable because of how few people have submitted their times. Looking over the average of the three platforms, though, Main + is listed as taking 110-127 hours. I'd guess that to be your best estimate, but even then it's iffy because of the low number of submissions. Click on the "Submissions" tab to see every entry, though again there's so few that it's not super reliable which can be seen from one person saying they beat it the main story in 44 hours, which is 20 hours faster than the next runner-up.

If you're looking to get 100%, the playstationtrophies site guide lists it as taking 150+ hours. The xbox trophy guide 200+ hours. The difference could be due to the trophies and achievements being different or it could be another example of variance between different people and how efficiently they can play the game.
most people don't even bother to finish it myself included. games very guide required.

I tested it just now, and the website let me pre-order a PS4 copy of the collector's edition. If you try again, hopefully it will go through for you the next time.

Side note: Thanks for reminding me about the Type-0 collector's edition in the first place. Completely forgot about it after Amazon sold out, so I'll leave this pre-order until Best Buy confirms whether they'll stock it or not.
Did you pay with Credit Card or PayPal?

lol crunchyroll airs the same garbage commercials about bookless children, creepy old men but its ok they are parents, and white rhinos.
Weird, I always get ads for video games or other anime shows.
On hulu I get ads for boring cars, drama tv shows, house insurance other boring stuff.

Can confirm the crunchyroll ads he spoke of - giving books to kids, the dads and their kids ones I've seen tons of, and I've seen a few rhino ones XD

I know I've reviewed it on this thread somewhere, but it's long past.

The game is a rogue-lite (heavy emphasis on "lite"). Everytime you move, monsters in the dugeons also move. It's a turn-based system and it is suitable for this game. The town is mostly the same and you interact with the chef to learn new recipes and at home you can customize your spells and stash your loot. Food is used for several different things in the game. (more on that later)

Every dungeon you explore, you'll find more loot than you can carry... so inventory management is very important Some of the loot requires you to identify it (through either spell or scroll). Each dungeon has a boss at the end of the dungeon. The dungeons can be fairly long, depending on what your strategy is to complete it. Weapons/Armor can be upgraded through usage and through crafting and scrolls. Any enchanted items you dont care for (+1, +2 +3, etc) can be used to improve your own weapon/armor through crafting.

You have a pet that helps you fight and sometimes carry items. Feeding it food also helps boosts its stats for the duration of the trip into the dungeon. The food you pick up in the dungeon can be used to create curry recipes and buff your character. You can also toss (just about anything) curry to your pets to give it a super boost. The pets get hungry over time, so you will have to manage the food you have on hand for yourself and your pet. Your pet will pass out if it runs out of life (or go hungry). If that happens, y ou can not progress to the next level of the dungeon.

This game is very frustrating for the wrong reasons:

1) Everytime you leave a dungeon and re-enter, you start at experience level 1. There is very little in the ways of feeling that you've accomplished a whole lot with your character because your experience resets.

2) Nothing is safe equipped or in your inventory!! The monsters you encounter can be cheap... VERY CHEAP! Some monsters can turn inventory into (useless) onions and there is no way to undo it. This is an important point to remember, especially if you carry specialized gear for other occassions. It pretty much limits you to wear only one set of gear... but here is where it gets even more frustrating. Some monsters have the ability to disarm you and there are also monsters that just spend their time looking for objects to destroy.

3) Identify scrolls and spells are way too limited in amount to get through a dungeon. You'll spend much of your time trying to figure out what to keep or what to leave behind because the dungeons get mind-numbingly long towards the middle/end of the game. While we're on scrolls, there are some scrolls that destroy your armor/weapon completely so you need to be very careful before you read them and make sure you dont take any unnecessary risk.

4) Crafting food seems almost random at times and its effects really seems to last a short while. I spent a lot of time carrying food around to get extra buffs, only to find the my inventory gets changed to onions or the food spoils (from monster curses).

The story itself is quite weird, but that's par for the course. The colors are bright and I enjoyed the dialogue, as creepy as some of these characters were. The extras in the LE are worth it only if you have an infant. The spoon is really small and has several jagged edges on the back end of it... making it someone an issue for kids learning motor skills. The bib has a pressed image on it and it faded/cracked over several washes. I can almost no longer tell what game the bib came from. It is also very small and not very useful in terms of trying to catch food falling out of spoons/mouths. The plate is nice and shaped like kuu and my daughter enjoyed looking at it for a few days and ate off it for a few weeks. It's not worth the extra $10 if you ask me, but since I bought one, might as well use it right?

I felt like I spent so much time trying to account for the different ways to prevent cheap shit from happening to me that the enjoyment out of the game really wasm't there. I stopped playing after a while because it just go to be too much. I may end up picking it up again and trying to finish it... but right now, it's sitting on my mousepad in front of me .. just reminding me that this rogue-lite has gotten the best of me (so far). I really would not recommend this game unless you're a hardcore rogue-like fan, and even then, you may find it's flaws outweight it's bright spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back