Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='worrybomb']While it's technically not a deal, it is a last opportunity to purchase an XSEED published game via the Playstation Store.

XSEED tweeted that in a few days, Brave Story: New Traveler for the PSP will be pulled from the PS Store due to expiring licenses which unfortunately involved a few amount of parties and in the end, couldn't proceed forward to get a renewal. There's also a 0% chance of it becoming available again in the PS Store, according to XSEED's replies. It's coming down "soon" so it could be just a matter of days or maybe even tomorrow since there's no definite date.

The game is currently priced at $9.99 at the PS Store.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I have Brave Story: New Traveler on UMD, and it's . . . OK, but not great. I played it for a little while and then just kind of stopped without even really thinking about it. I more than likely won't ever get around to finishing it. If you find a physical copy for around this price somewhere and want it for your collection it's probably worth grabbing, but honestly, I don't know that I'd bother with it as a PS Store download. With so many other PSP RPGs out there, I'd probably save my money for a better game.

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth, I have Brave Story: New Traveler on UMD, and it's . . . OK, but not great. I played it for a little while and then just kind of stopped without even really thinking about it. I more than likely won't ever get around to finishing it. If you find a physical copy for around this price somewhere and want it for your collection it's probably worth grabbing, but honestly, I don't know that I'd bother with it as a PS Store download. With so many other PSP RPGs out there, I'd probably save my money for a better game.[/QUOTE]

I liked it when it came out, but only because there weren't really any other RPGs on the PSP. It's above average, but there are much better RPGs out there.

Not a bad entry RPG though.

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth, I have Brave Story: New Traveler on UMD, and it's . . . OK, but not great. I played it for a little while and then just kind of stopped without even really thinking about it. I more than likely won't ever get around to finishing it. If you find a physical copy for around this price somewhere and want it for your collection it's probably worth grabbing, but honestly, I don't know that I'd bother with it as a PS Store download. With so many other PSP RPGs out there, I'd probably save my money for a better game.[/QUOTE]
I've got pretty much the same story.

[quote name='elessar123']I know. But they're pretty horrible games, imo. We have just about every Harvest Moon game released in the states, except for those 2.[/QUOTE]

yes i bought puzzle de harvest moon hoping to get my harvest moon fix and was like WTF this is horrible. Mini game stuff, no thank you

[quote name='Kenshindono']that game actually looks kinda cool. Im assuming its region free? If so is it pretty easy to figure out?[/QUOTE]

All PS3 games are region free, plus the top menus are all in English. There is a FAQ on Gamefaqs to help with the submenus just in case ;)

I was in Best Buy today and found :ps3: Atelier Rorona (game-only version) on clearance for $23.99. I went ahead and snagged it since that's starting to look like the best I'm likely to do at least on a new copy. Might or might not be YMMV -- it was on the regular shelf with a printed shelf tag, but it appears to still be listed at $39.99 on the website.

NIS America's "Last Rebellion" has gone down again...$18.65 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Rebellio...8GRC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307996379&sr=8-2

Steal Princess for $4.96 (not inc. S&H) on Amazon (third party - GoHastings):

http://www.amazon.com/Steal-Princes...INTG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307996469&sr=8-3

For those still looking for Crimson Gem Saga from Atlus, someone is selling it used for $17.99 (not inc. s&h) with manual on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Crimson-Gem-S...W2HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307996217&sr=8-1

[quote name='worrybomb']While it's technically not a deal, it is a last opportunity to purchase an XSEED published game via the Playstation Store.

XSEED tweeted that in a few days, Brave Story: New Traveler for the PSP will be pulled from the PS Store due to expiring licenses which unfortunately involved a few amount of parties and in the end, couldn't proceed forward to get a renewal. There's also a 0% chance of it becoming available again in the PS Store, according to XSEED's replies. It's coming down "soon" so it could be just a matter of days or maybe even tomorrow since there's no definite date.

The game is currently priced at $9.99 at the PS Store.[/QUOTE]

If you buy the game from PSN now, will you be able to re-download it after it has been removed? I would think that the digital version's imminent removal is a reason not to buy it.

[quote name='11440']If you buy the game from PSN now, will you be able to re-download it after it has been removed? I would think that the digital version's imminent removal is a reason not to buy it.[/QUOTE]

I believe it's already gone.

[quote name='11440']If you buy the game from PSN now, will you be able to re-download it after it has been removed? I would think that the digital version's imminent removal is a reason not to buy it.[/QUOTE]

It's already been removed. If you've already bought it you can redownload it, but you can't buy it anymore.

I am *really* enjoying Ys Seven, so much so that I'm wanting to upgrade my PSP because of it (...still running an old PSP-1001).

But with the Vita coming out soon, price drops! So I'm waiting.

That said, I read how The Oath in Felghana plays different; still good, maybe?

[quote name='ForeStorm']I am *really* enjoying Ys Seven, so much so that I'm wanting to upgrade my PSP because of it (...still running an old PSP-1001).

But with the Vita coming out soon, price drops! So I'm waiting.

That said, I read how The Oath in Felghana plays different; still good, maybe?[/QUOTE]

It basically plays the same; but there are some noticeable differences:

You don't carry around healing items, instead you have to rely on auto pickup healing items to drop from enemies. You only play as Adol and it is a little bit harder. Like old school RPG hard.

I'm sure there are a few others that I am forgetting but it is definitely worth checking out.

I've been waiting for Ys I & II for the PSP to drop for a while now, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon. Might just go and bite the bullet since I have just about enough credit to get it at GS. (Of course it'll drop after I buy it and open it).

[quote name='kndy']Steal Princess for $4.96 (not inc. S&H) on Amazon (third party - GoHastings):

http://www.amazon.com/Steal-Princes...INTG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307996469&sr=8-3[/QUOTE]

It's also $4.96 directly on gohastings.com -- the difference is that, ordering direct from them, the charge for standard shipping is $2.28, rather than the $3.99 shipping charge through Amazon (so it's $1.71 cheaper). You lose whatever extra buyer protection you get by ordering through Amazon, of course, but Hastings is a pretty reputable company themselves, so I wouldn't be too worried about that in this case. Here's the link:

http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Steal-Princess/sku/278615359.uts

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Any thoughts on Steal Princess?[/QUOTE]

I've seen some pretty mixed reviews on it, but it sounds interesting and I've wanted to try it. For this price, why not?

[quote name='arcane93']It's also $4.96 directly on gohastings.com -- the difference is that, ordering direct from them, the charge for standard shipping is $2.28, rather than the $3.99 shipping charge through Amazon (so it's $1.71 cheaper). You lose whatever extra buyer protection you get by ordering through Amazon, of course, but Hastings is a pretty reputable company themselves, so I wouldn't be too worried about that in this case. Here's the link:

I've seen some pretty mixed reviews on it, but it sounds interesting and I've wanted to try it. For this price, why not?[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot. You made my Day. I was kind of waiting for that one to drop, and it's now at my price point. Ordered. I've been building up my DS collection slowly and love the niche games.

[quote name='arcane93']It's also $4.96 directly on gohastings.com -- the difference is that, ordering direct from them, the charge for standard shipping is $2.28, rather than the $3.99 shipping charge through Amazon (so it's $1.71 cheaper). You lose whatever extra buyer protection you get by ordering through Amazon, of course, but Hastings is a pretty reputable company themselves, so I wouldn't be too worried about that in this case. Here's the link:

I've seen some pretty mixed reviews on it, but it sounds interesting and I've wanted to try it. For this price, why not?[/QUOTE]

thats actually not what i heard at all, ive seen many threads with people bitching about getting orders canceled, changed, wrong items, ect from gohastings.

Id actually like to get a sealed copy of steal princess, but am leery i may get a reseal or something. Anyone order from them? does it have the y-folds?

Does Amazon allow you to use credit on purchases like this? I would be in for Steel Princess if Amazon were to allow me to use the $10 credit I got coming my way.

[quote name='Kenshindono']thats actually not what i heard at all, ive seen many threads with people bitching about getting orders canceled, changed, wrong items, ect from gohastings.

Id actually like to get a sealed copy of steal princess, but am leery i may get a reseal or something. Anyone order from them? does it have the y-folds?[/QUOTE]

My experiences with them have all been good. *shrug* If anything, I would think that selling the item on both Amazon and their own website would potentially be a problem, as I don't know how they'd keep their inventory updated in real time. The problems that you name are just as likely to happen when the order is placed through Amazon. Anyway, I'm not worried -- even if they do screw up and I have difficulty getting them to make it right, I just have to call my credit card company -- no harder than calling Amazon really.

As far as your questions about the condition of the item goes -- I placed my order last night, so when (if? :) ) I get it, I'll let you know. Of course, hard to say if they'll have any stock left by then.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Does Amazon allow you to use credit on purchases like this? I would be in for Steel Princess if Amazon were to allow me to use the $10 credit I got coming my way.[/QUOTE]

You can always try it, but my understanding is that you can use gift cards for thrid-party sellers, but the promotional credits that you get for preordering games and such only work with Amazon items.

Went ahead and ordered Steal Princess from GoHastings. I shopped at Hastings for a long time while living in Texas. Never had any problems with them.

This is pretty YMMV, but I saw Arc Rise Fantasia at a local Best Buy today on clearance for $19.99. Seems to be a decent deal, considering the lowest price on Amazon is $30 ($24.92 + $4.98 shipping).

[quote name='Panther Cat']This is pretty YMMV, but I saw Arc Rise Fantasia at a local Best Buy today on clearance for $19.99. Seems to be a decent deal, considering the lowest price on Amazon is $30 ($24.92 + $4.98 shipping).[/QUOTE]

Went to two different Best Buys in the last 2 days and both had it for that price, so maybe happening at all of them. Picked up a copy myself, as it seemed like this was taking forever to drop below $35.

I once ordered Dragon Quest IV new for $19.99 from Hastings and received Ninja Gaiden. Apparently the SKU on the site for DQ IV translated to that in their inventory. I was told I could re-order it at 29.99 and they would try and give me it for 19.99 but considering they couldn't just do that over the phone I decided against it just in case.

[quote name='GreenSpark']Went to two different Best Buys in the last 2 days and both had it for that price, so maybe happening at all of them. Picked up a copy myself, as it seemed like this was taking forever to drop below $35.[/QUOTE]

No dice at my two local Best Buys. But DC metro area doesn't usually have any deals.

[quote name='Kenshindono']thats actually not what i heard at all, ive seen many threads with people bitching about getting orders canceled, changed, wrong items, ect from gohastings.

Id actually like to get a sealed copy of steal princess, but am leery i may get a reseal or something. Anyone order from them? does it have the y-folds?[/QUOTE]

I've ordered from goHastings a couple times (both through their own site and through Amazon). When I've ordered used stuff from them they have typically come in pretty good shape. Every time I've ordered a "New" game from them through Amazon, I've gotten a used copy. They are more than willing to send you a return label and issue a refund, but I've never done it simply because the prices I've paid on them have been reasonable for like-new used stuff.

Bottom line though, if you're ordering a "new" one from them through Amazon and are specifically looking for a new one, don't hold your breath.

Do you guys think it is worth waiting for a GS price drop on the Hyperdimension Neptunia and Ar Tonelico 3 LEs ? Both of them seem to have a smaller printing than the LE of Aterlier Rorona so I'm afraid they could be sold out or hard to find before $40.

Well, as some here predicted, Hastings did fuck up my order, though in my favor, it seems. Last week, when I placed the order, I got one order confirmation. But then the next day I proceeded to receive two shipping confirmations, both with different order numbers (one the one on the order confirmation, the other a different one). I tried to contact Hastings about the issue via email, but they told me that one of the order numbers didn't even exist in their system, so I just figured I'd wait it out and see what happened.

Well, I received two copies of Steal Princess in the mail today, shipped in two separate envelopes, one for each order number, just as I suspected would probably happen. I checked with my credit card company, and it appears that they only actually billed me for one copy. Also, when I log into my account on the Hastings website and look at my order history, only one order (the one I received the order confirmation for) shows up.

So bonus copy, I guess? Since I tried to contact them about it before and basically got blown off, I'm not about to make a whole lot of effort to send one back if they didn't charge me for it. I'm going to hold onto the "extra" one unopened for a while just to be safe, though, so that if they do bill me for it later I can return it.

I guess if they're going to screw up, that's the preferable way for them to do it. :lol:

For those asking about condition -- Yes, these are new, factory-sealed copies, in Y-fold plastic. However, it looks like the cover inserts were put into the cases a bit improperly in both (sticking out the bottom of the plastic), and there is a little bit of damage on the edges (one is worse than the other, but both have the issue). That's not Hastings' fault, though. Maybe they're being sold cheap because of that? Hard to say. Anyway, it's not a game that I feel a great need to have a mint collector's copy of, so for the price I'm not complaining.

[quote name='eau']Just put in an order for Steal Princess $4.98 + $0.96 shipping (JUNEBUG promo code).[/QUOTE]

That's a great price for Steal Princess!

[quote name='eau']Just put in an order for Steal Princess $4.98 + $0.96 shipping (JUNEBUG promo code).[/QUOTE]

The shipping code was enough to push me over the edge. Thanks!

i almost got hyperdimension through gohastings b2g1$1, but then they bounced the price from 55.99 to 74.99 within the minutes i was deciding. oh wellz.

i noticed now it dropped a lil more, down to 65.xx, im just gonna wait and hope on a reprint.

You can look at getting a PAL version of Hyperdimension if you're okay with messing around with different PSN accounts for any DLC. I bought mine for $30 new in Australia on sale and you can import it cheaply from the UK (maybe not quite that cheap all the time, but certainly for $45ish).

[quote name='arcane93']
For those asking about condition -- Yes, these are new, factory-sealed copies, in Y-fold plastic. However, it looks like the cover inserts were put into the cases a bit improperly in both (sticking out the bottom of the plastic), and there is a little bit of damage on the edges (one is worse than the other, but both have the issue). That's not Hastings' fault, though. Maybe they're being sold cheap because of that? Hard to say. Anyway, it's not a game that I feel a great need to have a mint collector's copy of, so for the price I'm not complaining.[/QUOTE]

Each copy of Steal Princess comes with a small poster, and it's behind the box art insert so that's why it can possibly look like that. Though when I got a review copy back when the game came out, mine came with two identical posters.

[quote name='flames_of_chaos']Each copy of Steal Princess comes with a small poster, and it's behind the box art insert so that's why it can possibly look like that. Though when I got a review copy back when the game came out, mine came with two identical posters.[/QUOTE]

Hm, no, no poster with this (at least nor with the one I opened, though the unopened one doesn't appear any different). That must have been just with the initial pressing or something.

[quote name='Velo214']i almost got hyperdimension through gohastings b2g1$1, but then they bounced the price from 55.99 to 74.99 within the minutes i was deciding. oh wellz.

i noticed now it dropped a lil more, down to 65.xx, im just gonna wait and hope on a reprint.[/QUOTE]

You do realize the game came out at $59.99. You don't want it because it's $5 more? I'd pick it up if I found it that cheap. Just look at amazon. It's over $70 now.

[quote name='storino03']You do realize the game came out at $59.99. You don't want it because it's $5 more? I'd pick it up if I found it that cheap. Just look at amazon. It's over $70 now.[/QUOTE]

I'd assume that he's talking about a used copy, though? I'd only even consider paying that much for a used copy (and that only if I really wanted it and had missed it when it was available new) if it came complete and in like-new condition, which probably isn't guaranteed. I can't imagine Hastings is still sitting on new copies at this point, when it's sold out everywhere else.

[quote name='arcane93']I'd assume that he's talking about a used copy, though? I'd only even consider paying that much for a used copy (and that only if I really wanted it and had missed it when it was available new) if it came complete and in like-new condition, which probably isn't guaranteed. I can't imagine Hastings is still sitting on new copies at this point, when it's sold out everywhere else.[/QUOTE]

I remember reading in the recent GS B2G1 sale thread that at least 1 CAG was able to pick up a used copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia complete (game, artbook & box) for $49.99. Some people do trade in their games with the extras :)

[quote name='kk012']I remember reading in the recent GS B2G1 sale thread that at least 1 CAG was able to pick up a used copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia complete (game, artbook & box) for $49.99. Some people do trade in their games with the extras :)[/QUOTE]

Oh sure, I don't dispute that it happens at all. I wouldn't order sight unseen off of a website that doesn't give any specific information about condition and expect it, though. :)

[quote name='arcane93'] I wouldn't order sight unseen off of a website that doesn't give any specific information about condition and expect it, though. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back