Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gettinmoney662']My goods were "damaged" and I think you're a whiny bitch.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='scott_matthews']I agree. For those of us who are gamers and collectors there are really two facets to the economic logic.

As a gamer, I have so many games in my backlog that, with a few exceptions here and there, I never wind up playing a game as soon as I get it so it doesn't make sense for me to spend $60 on a game at launch that most likely will sit unopened on my shelves for untold months. By the time I get around to playing a game, it has most likely dropped to the point where I can pick it up for $10-$15. This really leaves me only wanting to buy two types of games at launch - those few I want to play right away and CE/LEs (which I will use to refer to all limited or exclusive releases of some sort).

As a collector, I'm admittedly a sucker for the CE/LE versions of games. However, it doesn't make economic sense to buy them right away. For every LE/CE that winds up being rare and/or valuable (Bioshock 1, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Neptunia mk2, etc.) there are at least half a dozen that wind up being bargain bin discounts. If, conservatively, you figure that you can pick up those bargain bin CEs for $25 each (which is high) on a $70 MSRP (which is low), you save $45 on each one. If we extrapolate that savings across each of the dozen cheapos per rare we've got a savings of $270 - more than enough to cover the cost of the corresponding rare CE/LEs on the inflated re-sale market. And remember, these are conservative savings estimates. Factor in the $150 MSRP LE/CE that you can get for $30-$50 later on (Halo, Gears, Skyrim, War in the North, etc.) and that number jumps even further.

This has really kept me only buying things at launch for full MSRP that fall into two categories. First, it's a game that I want to play right away (and there may be three or four of these a year). Second, it's a game that is an exclusive publisher-direct title with a stated limitation on the print run (i.e. Dead Space Ultra Limited Edition, Reckoning Signature/Special Edition).[/QUOTE]

What's a good way to score bargain bin LEs?
For Atelier Rorona I waited until it hit 40$... same with Ar Tonelico Qoga (which has been out quite a while and only recently hit $40 at GS) and Atelier Totori... I also saw that Rorona hit $30 just now. I had to fork out the 60$ for hdn-mk(1) after waiting for so long that it was almost impossible to find one at gamestops.

It was different with PS2 games - I grabbed quite a few at $20, but seem to be doing a lot worse with this generation's games...

[quote name='fourthespada']What's a good way to score bargain bin LEs?
For Atelier Rorona I waited until it hit 40$... same with Ar Tonelico Qoga (which has been out quite a while and only recently hit $40 at GS) and Atelier Totori... I also saw that Rorona hit $30 just now. I had to fork out the 60$ for hdn-mk(1) after waiting for so long that it was almost impossible to find one at gamestops.

It was different with PS2 games - I grabbed quite a few at $20, but seem to be doing a lot worse with this generation's games...[/QUOTE]

It's hard to determine which ones become the rare LE's. When the risk of getting reprints can exist, if you're a collector, it doesn't matter as much. If you're looking specifically for resale value, I'd say scoop them up once they hit the first price drop and sell it ASAP. In the case of Hypdimension Neptunia mk2, I'm torn between selling it off and hoping for a reprint or keeping it comfortable on my shelf and admiring my collection of sealed JRPG's.

Get buddy buddy with your local GS employees. I've asked them several times to call up stores and have them ship the item to my nearest GS store where I'd purchase it.

[quote name='shivan128']It's hard to determine which ones become the rare LE's. When the risk of getting reprints can exist, if you're a collector, it doesn't matter as much. If you're looking specifically for resale value, I'd say scoop them up once they hit the first price drop and sell it ASAP. In the case of Hypdimension Neptunia mk2, I'm torn between selling it off and hoping for a reprint or keeping it comfortable on my shelf and admiring my collection of sealed JRPG's.

Get buddy buddy with your local GS employees. I've asked them several times to call up stores and have them ship the item to my nearest GS store where I'd purchase it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think NISA has ever reprinted an LE.

[quote name='elessar123']I don't think NISA has ever reprinted an LE.[/QUOTE]

Possibly but print sizes vary a lot. For example the LE of Atelier Totori can easily be bought new, the price hasn't dropped but it's not rare either.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']Possibly but print sizes vary a lot. For example the LE of Atelier Totori can easily be bought new, the price hasn't dropped but it's not rare either.[/QUOTE]

The Mk2 LE isn't sold in stores, so there is no varying.

[quote name='elessar123']I don't think NISA has ever reprinted an LE.[/QUOTE]

I never realized that! I'll think long and hard about selling this copy then. I'll probably have to take this bit of wisdom into the next NISA LE pre-order.

[quote name='shivan128']I never realized that! I'll think long and hard about selling this copy then. I'll probably have to take this bit of wisdom into the next NISA LE pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I lied. They might have reprinted the Disgaea 4 one.

[quote name='shivan128']I never realized that! I'll think long and hard about selling this copy then. I'll probably have to take this bit of wisdom into the next NISA LE pre-order.[/QUOTE]

They clearly stated that they would NOT be reprinting this after they sold out. If they went back on that I'm sure many people would be pretty upset. I wouldn't buy from them again thats for sure.

I really don't think they'd reprint it though after explicitly stating they wouldn't.

I think they've reprinted a few SEs like the first Hyperdimension and some PS2 games. I may be mistaken but didn't they also reprint the Sakura Wars Premium edition?

[quote name='HakaHina']I think they've reprinted a few SEs like the first Hyperdimension and some PS2 games. I may be mistaken but didn't they also reprint the Sakura Wars Premium edition?[/QUOTE]

But those were game only reprints?

Does anybody think Otomedius Excellent Special Edition is worth it at $40? I thought the CE would have sold out by now but it still showing in stock at my local gamestop. Is the game really not that good?

[quote name='HakaHina']I think they've reprinted a few SEs like the first Hyperdimension and some PS2 games. I may be mistaken but didn't they also reprint the Sakura Wars Premium edition?[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm aware they didn't reprint the Premium Editions of those games, just some standard copies for people who were having a hard time finding a copy just to play.

[quote name='MyPaper']Does anybody think Otomedius Excellent Special Edition is worth it at $40? I thought the CE would have sold out by now but it still showing in stock at my local gamestop. Is the game really not that good?[/QUOTE]

It's ok, and I don't really like schmups that much beyond this game and a few others. Might as well pick it up for the extra goodies, I'd say. :eek:

[quote name='MyPaper']Does anybody think Otomedius Excellent Special Edition is worth it at $40? I thought the CE would have sold out by now but it still showing in stock at my local gamestop. Is the game really not that good?[/QUOTE]

I was excited for this game, cause it's a decent Gradius. But they delayed it for months, and my enthusiasm for it wore off. On top of which, Amazon shipped me the CE damaged, and never restocked, which made the wait even longer when added to the delays. By that point, I gave up.

While I received my copy of mk2 in perfect condition, I can see why some people are upset that they got one that wasn't. I think they could avoid this in the future by simply using a higher quality material for the outer box (chipboard maybe?).

All I know is that you have to treat these LEs with kid gloves or just leave them sealed so that it doesn't appear worn out in the future.

[quote name='sevenfold']As far as I'm aware they didn't reprint the Premium Editions of those games, just some standard copies for people who were having a hard time finding a copy just to play.[/QUOTE]

I believe the did a second run of the Hyper Neptunia Special Edition to meet pre-order demand within the first week. So earlier buyers got the on time while those that pre-ordered past a certain date got the game a week later. They've also done more than one run of the Disgaea 4 figure edition.

I recall that in the past, when asked why they did not issue reprints on Special Editions, NISA responded by saying they had no control on whether a reprint was issued but on how much was reprinted when the reprint order was issued. Supposedly, only large retail stores could control if a reprint would happen by placing a large order for the game in question.

Still if the demand is large enough, they might be tempted to do a second run of Hyper Neptunia II LE themselves. I can't see why anyone would be mad at NISA for allowing others to get a copy of the game as well. At the moment only resellers are profiting from the short run and by their own words, NISA was not aware such a demand for this game would happen.

[quote name='BlindJoker']I believe the did a second run of the Hyper Neptunia Special Edition to meet pre-order demand within the first week. So earlier buyers got the on time while those that pre-ordered past a certain date got the game a week later. They've also done more than one run of the Disgaea 4 figure edition.

I recall that in the past, when asked why they did not issue reprints on Special Editions, NISA responded by saying they had no control on whether a reprint was issued but on how much was reprinted when the reprint order was issued. Supposedly, only large retail stores could control if a reprint would happen by placing a large order for the game in question.

Still if the demand is large enough, they might be tempted to do a second run of Hyper Neptunia II LE themselves. I can't see why anyone would be mad at NISA for allowing others to get a copy of the game as well. At the moment only resellers are profiting from the short run and by their own words, NISA was not aware such a demand for this game would happen.[/QUOTE]

I think it has to do with the fact that its a Limited Edition. If they just keep pumping out copies they aren't actually limited, are they? Besides, they can just reprint standard editions if people only want the game. I would much rather have this game in my collection as somewhat of a rarity as opposed to something everyone and their mother can purchase a new copy of at will.

[quote name='NEP'] I would much rather have this game in my collection as somewhat of a rarity as opposed to something everyone and their mother can purchase a new copy of at will.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing not alot of mothers are too interested in this game :cool:

Hi guys, does anyone know how long it takes for NIS to get back to you? My copy says delivered, but I didn't get any packages :whistle2:( I opened a case under my account, I don't know what happens next. I basically explained to them that I checked my local post office and next door neighbor, no package :whistle2:(

[quote name='SinnerChrno']Anybody play mk.2 yet? Still trying to get through the first game, though moving into a new place hasn't exactly helped my quest either. :D[/QUOTE]

The fact that many people don't want to open it since people are paying up to $200 for it, makes me wonder if anyone will play it...lol..

If there's so much demand for this game, I don't get why NISA didn't make more. I missed out on the pre-ordering because they closed them early. Sometimes I think that they just make it seem rare, just so they can resell themselves for $200 lol

[quote name='lutz']If there's so much demand for this game, I don't get why NISA didn't make more. I missed out on the pre-ordering because they closed them early. Sometimes I think that they just make it seem rare, just so they can resell themselves for $200 lol[/QUOTE]

They sent out a warning days before it sold out, saying there's only 500 left. They didn't close it early just to be dicks. They simply sold out.

And there's a vanilla copy, so there's no reason to reprint it. If you want the game to play, it's $50.

[quote name='SinnerChrno']Anybody play mk.2 yet? Still trying to get through the first game, though moving into a new place hasn't exactly helped my quest either. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat of trying to finish the first game. I'm so very close...and yet, so very far!
Mass Effect 3 did not help my cause. :p

I got mine. Already opened it and looked through all the extras to make sure it was all in perfect condition. I have it in my to soon play list and with Tales coming from Newegg today I will hope to get to it soon. Can't complain with more RPG's to play.

[quote name='lutz']If there's so much demand for this game, I don't get why NISA didn't make more. I missed out on the pre-ordering because they closed them early. Sometimes I think that they just make it seem rare, just so they can resell themselves for $200 lol[/QUOTE]
So you are upset that you didn't preorder when you could have done so for the past few months... don't blame them for your mistakes. I'm glad they managed to sell all of the LE's. With small companies releasing niche games be glad we even got it released. Like elessar said... if you want it go spend the money for a regular edition. Next time don't wait until last minute to attempt to preorder.

Lesson learned... I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my two copies of the HN mk2 LE in good shape, I think I'm leaving both copies sealed. I haven't even started the first game yet, so by the time I'm ready to actually play mk2 I'll probably be able to find a 30-40 used copy of the normal edition.

I'm really hoping they hold to what they said about not printing more of the LE, that's pretty much what put me over on buying a second copy.

That would be a pretty smart idea though, especially with a game that isn't going to bring in that much money.

The demand is only there because supply is so limited.

[quote name='Donkey132']It seems atlus reprinted devil survivor oc. Both amazon and gs have it instock again.[/QUOTE]I noticed that, too. I was getting worried for a while there, thinking I'd have to jump on a used copy at GS before it became even harder to find, but now I think I can continue waiting for it to be in the $20-$25 range. :D

I have played it up till chapter 5 which I think is close to the end. I didn't enjoy the first game at all. From what I've played its an ok game, nothing really that sets it apart and I love rpgs of all types. Now that I think about it, I guess letting players use custom textures for Nepgears cpu transformation is nice. Although every other character and cpu are out of luck. I didn't find any of the jokes to be funny again. There was one scene which crossed the line for me at least. If you like the first game you would like the second game. The second game is much better then the first game by far. Although personally the game changes didn't really help me like the game at all.

kind've surprised that there's nothing on Warriors Orochi 3 yet, but coming out in a week. Remember WO2 being $30 preorder on Amazon, that was nice =)

I see Amazon finally got a product placement up. Nice.

The rumors about XSeed releasing games on Steam is confirmed. Ys : The Oath In Felghana is coming March 19 for $14.99 and Ys Origin, in its first official English release, will follow in May.

[quote name='vherub']anyone know of updates on the radiant historia reprint?[/QUOTE]

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on February 10, 2012 (Order# ):

"Radiant Historia" Estimated arrival date: March 19, 2012 - March 23, 2012

I'm guessing Amazon might have sold out of their allotment though.

[quote name='Zbornak']The rumors about XSeed releasing games on Steam is confirmed. Ys : The Oath In Felghana is coming March 19 for $14.99 and Ys Origin, in its first official English release, will follow in May.[/QUOTE]

Oh good, I was planning on getting these on PSP. At least, I have another option if I can't track down a reasonably priced copy of each game.

[quote name='orcishlad']Just got my Newegg newsletter.

Record of Agarest War Zero (360) - $15.99

Tales of Vesperia (360) - $15.99[/QUOTE]

I might look into the Record of Agarest War series.

[quote name='elessar123']We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on February 10, 2012 (Order# ):

"Radiant Historia" Estimated arrival date: March 19, 2012 - March 23, 2012

I'm guessing Amazon might have sold out of their allotment though.[/QUOTE]

This is good news. I keep seeing praise for this game and would like to actually play it to see what everyone is talking about.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Do Want!!![/QUOTE]

It seems that the only difference between the LE and the Premium is different artwork on everything.

The box, the OST and the Artbook all have different, and in my opinion, better artwork.

Wait a sec, where's it say that it's NIS store exclusive? For the most part their LEs go everywhere... though I could very well see the t-shirt be store-exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back