Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='orcishlad']A bunch of Aksys games got price drops on PSN.

$14.99
Blazing Souls Accelate
Fate/EXTRA
Jikandia: The Timeless Land
Mimana Iyar Chronicle

$19.99
Record of Agarest War

I'm totally tempted to buy Fate/EXTRA again just so I can play it on my Vita. :D[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that in the update, thanks for pointing that out. I might get Fate/Extra and Blazing Souls at some point now.

I like when people define collecting games, albeit sealed games, as compared to a hoarder. Two completely different things and way of thinking. But thanks for being a judge and speaking for everyone else out there.

[quote name='storino03']I like when people define collecting games, albeit sealed games, as compared to a hoarder. Two completely different things and way of thinking. But thanks for being a judge and speaking for everyone else out there.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? Have these people actually watched Hoarders? I have one cubby area for games, and they're almost all on one giant shelf. Last I checked, I can walk just fine without walking on anything other than carpet.

[quote name='BrentronD']I personally got tired of the Collector's Edition items that came with games. I just want the plain game by itself. I don't have anyway of efficiently selling the items, and the items simply don't appeal to me. They just collect dust.

I wasn't always like this. I had a bunch of collectors editions. But after a long while and cleaning up my room, I realized that they ended up being junk. The Street Fighter x Tekken Collector's Edition probably was the straw that broke the Camel's back. All the stuff in there is pretty much useless.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same with my CE and LE. The only swag that's ever cool to me is a shirt that fits or a cool statue or figure. In which case to get in games is too much better of buying figures aside. I'm sick of ark books and stupid crap that comes in all these collectors editions. I'm not about to start playing the Persona soundtrack in my car. My bonus items in Catherine is meant for a girl. I should have got the game only and saved $35 dollars. I had too much monetary gain in my head and now I realize i got a lot of junk I don't even really want.

Now I wait for bottom prices on current gen stuff and prefer to collect and and play retro.

Did any of you see this amazing looking CE for Tokitowa yet?
l_5006bf7c6b82b.jpg

I can't wait to see some gameplay footage though.. I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

Source with more pics and stuff here: http://andriasang.com/con1yz/tokitowa_screens/

They haven't officially announced it yet, but they already hinted at a localization: http://andriasang.com/con1ue/tokitowa_international/

That game looks gorgeous. The problem with imageepoch is that their games always have so much promise, but just fail to deliver. Sands Of Destruction and Arc Rise Fantasia both had so much going for them! They were both also huge let downs given how many good idea are hidden away or misused.

If Tokitowa is localized, I'll definitely be considering the LE if that makes it over, too. The game just looks so dang gorgeous.

I thought I should post this, despite it not being a deal--the final NA box art for Persona 4: Golden (Vita):

:drool: :drool: :drool:

[quote name='Zaku77']That game looks gorgeous. The problem with imageepoch is that their games always have so much promise, but just fail to deliver. Sands Of Destruction and Arc Rise Fantasia both had so much going for them! They were both also huge let downs given how many good idea are hidden away or misused.[/QUOTE]

You just have to go in with the right expectations. I liked both games for what they were.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']You just have to go in with the right expectations. I liked both games for what they were.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to, but they both had such awesome ideas that it was always disheartening how badly they were handled. Imageepoch is going to get it right eventually and it's going to be an amazing game. I just keep waiting for it to happen.

Seeing that Persona box art makes me so hyped, cant wait for that and P4A.

I'm just sad i never played Persona 4 before, gonna feel weird playing Arena without the general knowledge (And possibly spoilery)

[quote name='orcishlad']I REALLY recommend Recettear if you don't already have it.[/QUOTE]
Would all three be worth it, or should I just stick with that one?

[quote name='Talgrund']Would all three be worth it, or should I just stick with that one?[/QUOTE]

Recettear is considered the best, but they're all pretty fun. I'd say it'd be worth it to get all three.

[quote name='orcishlad']Recettear is considered the best, but they're all pretty fun. I'd say it'd be worth it to get all three.[/QUOTE]
Guess I'll just blind buy them then. Bought DAO Ultimate for 7.50 also.

[quote name='orcishlad']Most of you probably already know, but Carpe Fulgur published games are on sale today on Steam. Deals end in about 28 hours.

Chantelise - A Tale of Two Sisters $2.49
Fortune Summoners $4.99
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale $4.99

Or you can save a few pennies and buy the Carpe Fulgur bundle for $12.43

I REALLY recommend Recettear if you don't already have it.[/QUOTE]

I hate DLC games but these are really cheap and i heard about an item shops tale a while back. Can you play these games with like an xbox controller or do you need a mouse and keyboard? Ive never used Steam and am considering buying these but i guess i need to decide soon since the sales almost over. Hopefully i get answers soon =)

The only one im thinking of passing on is Fortune Summoners.. is that any good? It looks more like a platformer than an RPG

Important question: About steam: do i have to be online to play the games? Can i transfer the games to another computer? Right now im using an old desktop since my laptop died and id like to move them once i get a computer built/bought. I was also thinking of maybe that Y's game Zaku mentioned .. blea. I just really hate not having a physical copy

^_^x KD

You can download them multiple times, and do not need to be online unless the publisher puts in some obtrusive online only DRM. Spoiler: Carpe Fulgur do not do this! lol An Xbox pad works great, and Recettear is so much damn fun. The other two actually seem really passable, but that's your call, of course. If you're diving into Steam, then hopefully Ys: Origin will go back down to $8, so you can get that, too! =P

[quote name='Zaku77']You can download them multiple times, and do not need to be online unless the publisher puts in some obtrusive online only DRM. Spoiler: Carpe Fulgur do not do this! lol An Xbox pad works great, and Recettear is so much damn fun. The other two actually seem really passable, but that's your call, of course. If you're diving into Steam, then hopefully Ys: Origin will go back down to $8, so you can get that, too! =P[/QUOTE]

Ya i had actually heard of Recetear a while back and it looked neat. This is so cheap its probalby worth it. Assuming theres no DRM issues and i can move them as I wish as Zaku says then i may pull the trigger on this. The main thing was using an Xbox controller and you say that works fine.. not sure how though, do i just plug and play or need some 3rd party software?

Meh screw it i'll probalby just go for the whole 3 game package. To double check
1) no DRM on these games at least, i can move to another computer
2) dont have to be online to play
3) can use an xbox controller?

assuming all are true the last hurdle other than not having a disk, is having to install some steam software on my CPU it seems

^_^x KD

All true, and also for Ys. As long as you are using a 360 pad, most games seem to just map all the buttons straight away on their own. It's surprisingly easy, especially compared to the old days. When you want to move them to a different PC just sign into steam on that PC, and re-download them. It's as simple as that! :D

[quote name='Kenshindono']I hate DLC games but these are really cheap and i heard about an item shops tale a while back. Can you play these games with like an xbox controller or do you need a mouse and keyboard? Ive never used Steam and am considering buying these but i guess i need to decide soon since the sales almost over. Hopefully i get answers soon =)

The only one im thinking of passing on is Fortune Summoners.. is that any good? It looks more like a platformer than an RPG

Important question: About steam: do i have to be online to play the games? Can i transfer the games to another computer? Right now im using an old desktop since my laptop died and id like to move them once i get a computer built/bought

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]
All three games work with USB controllers. Should all be plug and play, though you MIGHT need to configure them.

Fortune Summoners is alright. It really isn't so much a platformer as it is a sidescrolling RPG (though that isn't to say there isn't some platforming at certain parts). It's definitely not for everyone, though. There's a demo available on Steam that I suggest you try before you decide.

As for your Steam questions: No, you do not have to be online to play the games on Steam. And it's really easy to move/copy games from one computer to another via Steam. ;)

EDIT: I'm like ten minutes late, oh well. lol

If you think those seem cheap, know that Steam regularly has semi-old AAA titles on sale for $5. Well, sometimes more like $7.50 for GOTY editions.

As for the Steam DRM, you have to log on to the Steam app to update and download the files, but after the game is up to date you no longer have to be online. You just have to enter offline mode from the app. You may have to allow it online access occasionally though to update the files.

For moving the games to another computer, you can download and install games you've bought to as many computers as you want assuming there's no other DRM, and even then I think Steam will help you out with getting around the activation limit. There's something called Steam Guard which will email you a code which you'll have to copy to login whenever you log in on a different computer by default, but you can easily turn it off.
You may want to note that you can't be logged on to two computers at the same time.

F it im buying the tripple pack. Its like 12 bucks.

Shit this steam thing can be addictive. Ive been browsing it and found Legend of grimrock for 9 bucks which i wanted to play.. looks like my system isn't up to its specs though. Shit i see Dragon age Origins ultimate edition for 8 bucks.. thats not bad at all. I was thinking of finding a PC disk version of that somewhere but for 8 bucks i may bite on that.. I wanted longer to really check around for a PC retail copy but the sale for that ends in 6 hours! Grrr.. Anyone know if that game has any DRM? Bioware is horrible with the console games since they teamed up with EA, requiring you to logon to the lame EA servers for just about everything so im concerned about that.

In fact how do you tell if a game has DRM or not before you buy/d.load it? I know that bundle doesn't because you guys mentioned it but how can you tell before you buy it?

grrr to get DAO or not to get it.. I have the 360 version but i hear the PC versions like a whole other game, much more strategy oriented

*edit* btw why were those 3 RPGS bundled together, they dont seem to be by the same developer..also wondering why theyre called the Carpe Fulgur Collection.

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']F it im buying the tripple pack. Its like 12 bucks.

Shit this steam thing can be addictive. Ive been browsing it and found Legend of grimrock for 9 bucks which i wanted to play.. looks like my system isn't up to its specs though. Shit i see Dragon age Origins ultimate edition for 8 bucks.. thats not bad at all. I was thinking of finding a PC disk version of that somewhere but for 8 bucks i may bite on that.. I wanted longer to really check around for a PC retail copy but the sale for that ends in 6 hours! Grrr.. Anyone know if that game has any DRM? Bioware is horrible with the console games since they teamed up with EA, requiring you to logon to the lame EA servers for just about everything so im concerned about that.

In fact how do you tell if a game has DRM or not before you buy/d.load it? I know that bundle doesn't because you guys mentioned it but how can you tell before you buy it?

grrr to get DAO or not to get it.. I have the 360 version but i hear the PC versions like a whole other game, much more strategy oriented

*edit* btw why were those 3 RPGS bundled together, they dont seem to be by the same developer..also wondering why theyre called the Carpe Fulgur Collection.

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the deals you can get from Steam are pretty good, lol.

Dragon Age: Origins apparently ditched DRM with its latest patch, so if you're against DRM it should be safe to buy.

A game usually lists what DRM it has on the store page, but you can double check by asking on the game's steam forum (which is easily found on the store page of the game)

And as for your last question... Those games were bundled together because they were all published by the same company, Carpe Fulgur. They specialize in localizing doujinshi (think Japanese indie) pc games.

Steam should tell you on the game's page if it has other DRM. For example, look at the Batman: Arkham Asylum game page. In the section on the right under the Metascore it says "3rd-party DRM: Securom". And under the system requirements it says "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows – Live". Note that it also won't let you save if you don't log on to GFWL; I found that out the hard way. Or on the page for Alice: Madness Returns it tells you under the system requirements in dark text that it requires to be registered with EA. Honestly though I would check the game forum or Amazon to see if a game has DRM before buying it.

Also, check the Steam thread on the front page of the forum for discussion of the deals on Steam. And check this guide, which is linked in the OP of the Steam thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23064

Ahh thanks a lot guys. I guess the games i were looking at didn't have DRM, so there was no mention of it. That batman example helps a lot. I'll check the link you provided slainviper to get some more info on finding deals.

Well.. shit. This steam thing is pretty damn cool actually if it really lets you just install stuff wherever the hell you want DRM free. I think im starting to see why I see so many people singing Steams praises. Christ, this is actually less of a hassle than some console games these days o_O. Great, last thing i need is to be hooked on this hunting for good deals on weird little indie games and Japanese niche rpgs and graphic adventures and stuff. Damn you guys!

I think i will go with Dragon age Origins ultimate edition.. the only problem is i think my graphic card is just below the requirments. It says it needs an ATI Radeon X850 256MB, and i have a ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB, which when i check online i think is the series right before the x850 line. Im not sure if I can run it on this setup. Anyone happen to know? Specs on this old thing are AMD64 4000+, 2 gigs of ram, winxp, ati radeon 9800XT. Ya i know its old but its what im stuck with till i get around to getting a new system to replace my dead laptop.

*edit* damnit i need to stop reading that steam thread.. arx fatalis for 2 bucks? that game was awesome!.. and SHIT looks like Y's Origin was indeed 8 bucks a few days ago but i missed it. For that price i would have probably got it. Not too many Japanese niche games from what i see though. Any chance Y's Origin will go an sale again near the end? The thread seems to indicate some games do

^_^x KD

If it doesn't, it's worth just getting it at $12. That's still nearly half price, and I can't imagine we see it go on sale again for a while.

Well, Steam is actually DRM itself, in that it ties the games you buy to your account. It is however generally considered the only DRM that doesn't suck, especially since it provides useful features like updating your games automatically and cataloging them all in one place, among other features. I think Origin might be OK as well though I personally don't want anything to do with it.

For finding out if games will work on your system, I find the easiest way to tell is to go to canyourunit.com.

For Y's Origins coming back on sale, I'm really not sure. I think the encore deals are usually for the games that were most popular, and I'm not sure how Y's fared. Be you can be sure that it will be that price, or even less, during the winter sale or possibly a daily deal. Usually the most games will be discounted is 75%, so Y's can definitely go lower in the future; though on rare occasions higher discounts are offered. Of course you can buy at a lower discount if you really want it.

For the DRM on Dragon Age, someone on the Steam forums asked about it. It doesn't seem to have DRM. See here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2820338
I don't have it downloaded personally (I have it from Amazon, otherwise I have everything downloaded on Steam since it's so easy) so I can't check myself. I really thought you would get confirmation by now but I guess the Steam deals thread is almost dead at this time of day.

By the way, welcome to Steam. Your wallet says "fuck you".

Well, ya it is kinda DRM i guess. Do you have to run it every time you start a game up to verify it, or just once when installing it and thats it? I thought it was just once when installing it then you could turn it off so it doesn't check every time. Thanks slainviper. I tried seraching but most of the info i found were people complaining about the DRM. Some of the threads i found seemed to indicate you actually still needed to logon to your EA account too. I actually found that thread you linked and theres some back and forth on whether you still needed to do that. The guy at the end seems to be pretty sure you dont have to logon to an EA account anymore though.

canyourunit.com seems interesting but it wants to install some crap on my computer in order to work.. and im not really cool with that. Is it safe and is it something i can uninstall fully?

as for Y's.. i think i'll just wait. Zaku, your right 12 bucks is still pretty cheap, but i think the 75% off price is better. IF it doesn't cycle back over at the end i will probably pass

Meh F it. I think i'll just buy DAO. I really want to see if the PC version is better. I need to play through the whole game since i stalled on it after Bioware screwed over the fans by not patching the console versions dex bug. I did like the story so this would be the best way to play it. I guess even if i cant run it I can just let it sit untill i get a new system up and running

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']Well, ya it is kinda DRM i guess. Do you have to run it every time you start a game up to verify it, or just once when installing it and thats it? I thought it was just once when installing it then you could turn it off so it doesn't check every time. [/QUOTE]

For most games, you'll have to start steam first and leave it running in order to play them, but there are some games that are exceptions.

And DAO on PC is a lot better, more enemies at a time and much easier controls.

I've actually never used offline mode before since I'm always connected to the internet, so I just tried it out. I disconnected my internet and loaded up Steam, and although it said it was logging into my account (which wouldn't be possible; I'm pretty sure it just meant it was checking what games I have on my account) it loaded and opened games perfectly without asking for any additional information. So I think that while you're in offline mode, although you'll still have to open Steam to get to your game library (without the need for internet), you'll be home free after that. Again, assuming the games don't have any other DRM that would cause problems.

Oh, was there some debate there? Sorry, I didn't actually read the whole thing. I mean, the first half dozen posts seemed to confirm that the DRM was removed.

I've never had to install anything for canyourunit. I believe it just runs something like javascript to check your system specs. I guess that's still technically downloading something but I don't think it really installs anything. It does access your hardware info, but personally I trust that it will do only that. On a related note, I refuse to install Origin because the agreement states that it's allowed to check your computer files.

[quote name='Green Card200']I picked up a 360 Record of Agarest War Zero limited edition for $20 at Best Buy. Not sure if this has been posted before.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Can't find PS3 version :(

In for the Carpe Fulgur collection, ended up gifting my friend a copy too.

I like supporting the small developers and at that price its a steal.

At Best Buy the :360: Record of Agarest War Zero LE is on clearance for $19.99. To see if your store has it in stock, go to the Store Locator and find a locale store. Then go to the store's page and check under the clearance items. I am unsure if the PS3 version is also on clearance because I've only been able to find/buy the 360 version and no one has mentioned finding it on the Best Buy Clearance thread.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12090&type=page

you gotta be fucking kidding me... ive been wanting a copy of Agarest war zero for the PS3 for a while. i saw this post this morning before heading to BB and running some errands, figured id get it this evening when i got home.. well i just checked and its sold out!. Seriously? That fast? *sigh* any hope they'll get more in stock or was that it? I cant belive i missed out on this again. I was gonna get another copy of Vesperia too, but that was just cuz i liked it so much and wouldnt mind an extra copy. Agarest I actually needed

Damn im annoyed. When did Agarest war sell out? Around 10am they still had them in stock.

^_^x KD

[quote name='KillerRamen']At Best Buy the :360: Record of Agarest War Zero LE is on clearance for $19.99. To see if your store has it in stock, go to the Store Locator and find a locale store. Then go to the store's page and check under the clearance items. I am unsure if the PS3 version is also on clearance because I've only been able to find/buy the 360 version and no one has mentioned finding it on the Best Buy Clearance thread.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12090&type=page[/QUOTE]

Woah awesome, never knew you could check clearance per stock like that. Thanks :)

Though, does the page update as items are sold? Or is it just a general "Hey, we might have this instore"

[quote name='dgwillia006']Woah awesome, never knew you could check clearance per stock like that. Thanks :)

Though, does the page update as items are sold? Or is it just a general "Hey, we might have this instore"[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the system updates itself nightly. So as far as I know if it's listed as in stock, then they should have had it when they opened their doors for the day.

Awesome, that will definitely come in handy in the future

And i found a store with Dragon Quest on clearance, I know where i'll be heading tomorrow morning

[quote name='Masterkyo']Same here. Can't find PS3 version :([/QUOTE]

They're the same right - other than not being able to transfer the file to Agarest 2? Did they ever put the PS3 one on clearance?

[quote name='Pets0undz']Blah. I want to support JRPGs and all, but $70 for a book? I could buy another JRPG for that much!

Only way I can justify it is to pretend I'm overpaying to support Kickstarter project.[/QUOTE]

Uhm, wow. Were they reading this thread? Ninostarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back