Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^Yeah given that pros and cons. I'm leaning towards the 3DS version. I don't really care for trophies, except that moment when they do pop up is nice.

I didn't know that the Vita had a shorter battery life compared to the 3DS. I've heard complaints about the 3DS's current battery life and having to charge the thing more than the DS lite.[/QUOTE]Well, with the 3DS XL, the battery life was improved to 5-7 hours (IIRC), while the Vita has a 4-5 hour charge.

In my case, however, I have a standard :3ds: with the PowerPak+ that gives me around 10 hours for a :3ds: game, so to me that's a significant advantage over the Vita's battery life.

[quote name='Vigilante']Well, with the 3DS XL, the battery life was improved to 5-7 hours (IIRC), while the Vita has a 4-5 hour charge.

In my case, however, I have a standard :3ds: with the PowerPak+ that gives me around 10 hours for a :3ds: game, so to me that's a significant advantage over the Vita's battery life.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, it's not 10-hours like yours but the Nyko Power Grip for the Vita last for 6+ hours. Although it's a blatant design ripoff of the CTA Vita Grip. I have the latter & makes gaming sessions much more comfy.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/nyko-power-grip-for-playstation-vita-review/

I have both a Vita & 3DS XL. Haven't really played both long enough to notice a difference in terms of battery life. If I had to guess, I'd say the 3DS XL last a little longer BUT not by much. I like the dual-screens of 3DS XL however, I prefer higher resolution & dual analog sticks of the Vita in addition to the rear touch panel.

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']FWIW, it's not 10-hours like yours but the Nyko Power Grip for the Vita last for 6+ hours. Although it's a blatant design ripoff of the CTA Vita Grip. I have the latter & makes gaming sessions much more comfy.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/nyko-power-grip-for-playstation-vita-review/

I have both a Vita & 3DS XL. Haven't really played both long enough to notice a difference in terms of battery life. If I had to guess, I'd say the 3DS XL last a little longer BUT not by much. I like the dual-screens of 3DS XL however, I prefer higher resolution & dual analog sticks of the Vita in addition to the rear touch panel.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'm aware of that grip; I forgot to mention that I recently bought the portable charger for the Vita to address the comparatively short battery life (it reportedly adds another 5-7 hours of game time).

[quote name='AFC']I've heard very mixed reviews about this game. Anyone have an opinion whether it's worth a punt? Would it be worth getting the limited edition at $20 at my local Gamestop over this? (Basically are the soundtrack and art book worth $13 I guess..)[/QUOTE]

If you're a fan of Fate/Stay Night, I'd recommend getting it just on principle. :D

It's really a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game. Most people complain about the battle system, which is very much like playing rock-paper-scissors, though enemies do have patterns you can easily memorize.

For about $9, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up. As for the Limited Edition... Ehhh. It's nothing special really. The artbook is pretty skimpy and the soundtrack is only 10 tracks long. (The music is pretty good, though)

[quote name='orcishlad']If you're a fan of Fate/Stay Night, I'd recommend getting it just on principle. :D

It's really a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game. Most people complain about the battle system, which is very much like playing rock-paper-scissors, though enemies do have patterns you can easily memorize.

For about $9, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up. As for the Limited Edition... Ehhh. It's nothing special really. The artbook is pretty skimpy and the soundtrack is only 10 tracks long. (The music is pretty good, though)[/QUOTE]

I never played Fate/Stay Night, and I think I only saw like 2 episodes of the show. Thanks for the input on the LE though. Comparing what you and slidecage both said to what I've seen around the internet, it doesn't seem worth it. Did buy the game though, along with Gungnir. Still haven't replaced my broken 1000 though, so I can't play it yet :razz:

It's true that you'll love it or hate it.

At first I played it for maybe two hours, decided I hated it and quit playing. Came back to it a couple months later and I was hooked. Not sure what happened there :lol:

i got fate le day one and played it around 5 hours and did not build up my person right and had to go back and redo it...i think i put around 30 hours into it ...now starting to wonder why i even got it again cause the more i think of it the more i sort of got bored with it after the first playthough

also there is no that many endings as one might think (at least not that major of a difference

you start with 3 people to pick from i think a knight an archer (not sure) or a mage)

there are 7 days on DAY 4 or 5 you have to pick to save A or B and that is the only change in the game

so

say you pick Knight

DAY 1 Boss A
Day 2 BOSS B
Day 3 BOSS C
DAY 4 BOSS D
DAY 5-1 BOSS E
Day 6 BOSS F
Day 7 BOSS G

if you pick the other path

Day 1 boss A
day 2 Boss B
Day 3 Boss c
Day 4 Boss d
Day 5-2 Boss G
Day 6 Boss f
Day 7 BOss E

see it just means you fight boss E and F on different days not that big of a difference

you can grind the hell out of the game as well and your going to need to grind like crazy if you want to use the MAGE cause by day 4 your going to be way under leveled if you dont

I found
Knight way easy (played on both paths)
ARcher or whatever it was never played
Mage Way hard (gave up on day 4)

Like i said i think i put around 25 to 30 hours into it... I will just keep it sealed when im bored and no longer have gamefly and need something to play

and hell 8 bucks is just like buying a bad lunch

[quote name='colossus79']I ran across these while tracking down some other games:

Ar Tonelico Qoga $23.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879273015

Atelier Meruru $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879247053

Both are currently in stock as of this post.[/QUOTE]

Damn I thought Ar Tonelico Qoga was rare. Bought it for $40 a bit while ago, still haven't played it. Oh well at least mine is the premium edition even though I could care less about the artbook and cd.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Damn I thought Ar Tonelico Qoga was rare. Bought it for $40 a bit while ago, still haven't played it. Oh well at least mine is the premium edition even though I could care less about the artbook and cd.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I thought Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chests were rare, cause vanilla BL2s are still available!

[quote name='AFC']Cool, glad I was able to help at least 1 CAG :)[/QUOTE]

The big question I'm still asking myself is why was I up at 4am and checking CAG and buying games. Probably not the wisest idea to be buying games while semi-asleep...one of these days I might come home to find 100 copies of the crappy Dead Space 2 CE sitting on my doorstep that I thought was a good deal while sleep-shopping online after reading a CAG notification email :cry:

Was waiting for a good price on Meruru (thought I would be waiting a few more months for it to be $20 on Gamefly, but this works). Meets my $20 1990 dollars and under requirement.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']The big question I'm still asking myself is why was I up at 4am and checking CAG and buying games. Probably not the wisest idea to be buying games while semi-asleep...one of these days I might come home to find 100 copies of the crappy Dead Space 2 CE sitting on my doorstep that I thought was a good deal while sleep-shopping online after reading a CAG notification email :cry:[/QUOTE]

Ha, I know what you mean. If I wasn't studying for a professional license exam, I'd have been asleep at 2 or something. Had to take a break from the boredom and just lucked out. The one good thing I did a while ago was make a huge list of the games I'm interested in and the lowest prices they've ever been new/used anywhere I could find. Whenever I see something interesting, I just open the list. Usually it gets rejected then and there, so I know I only buy games that are: 1) a great/the best deal, 2) have become hard to find so old prices don't apply, or 3) just something I really feel like buying :)

[quote name='AFC']The one good thing I did a while ago was make a huge list of the games I'm interested in and the lowest prices they've ever been new/used anywhere I could find. Whenever I see something interesting, I just open the list. Usually it gets rejected then and there, so I know I only buy games that are: 1) a great/the best deal, 2) have become hard to find so old prices don't apply, or 3) just something I really feel like buying :)[/QUOTE]

Smart plan and I should do the same. I can't tell you how many times I've jumped on a great Steam deal only to (fortunately) have Steam tell me I already had the game in my library. I finally catalogued my physical games (well, almost all of them) so that's helped avoid buying the same game more than once.

Apollo Justice back in stock for $29.99 at Amazon again. 15 copies this time!

Really wish they'd find a stack of Justice For All or the Miles Edgeworth game. Hopefully I'll manage to spot it again if they do.

[quote name='AFC']Apollo Justice back in stock for $29.99 at Amazon again. 15 copies this time!

Really wish they'd find a stack of Justice For All or the Miles Edgeworth game. Hopefully I'll manage to spot it again if they do.[/QUOTE]

Thank god I was browsing CAG at 4am. I picked that up thanks for the tip!

[quote name='KtMack23']Thank god I was browsing CAG at 4am. I picked that up thanks for the tip![/QUOTE]

Sometimes not being able to sleep really pays off.

For those who purchased the Atelier Totori set, was it worth it? I missed the opportunity when Gamestop dropped the price. But I went by there this past weekend and they had one regular edition left for $21.99 and debating whether or not to get the regular edition or wait for the set to drop on Amazon. I have the Rorona set and just ordered the Meruru set from Newegg.

[quote name='kndy']For those who purchased the Atelier Totori set, was it worth it? I missed the opportunity when Gamestop dropped the price. But I went by there this past weekend and they had one regular edition left for $21.99 and debating whether or not to get the regular edition or wait for the set to drop on Amazon. I have the Rorona set and just ordered the Meruru set from Newegg.[/QUOTE]

Meruru on Newegg is the standard edition, the collector's sets sold out near release.

If you like soundtracks and artbooks(softcover) as extras then it's worth it. The box is fairly weak but it does have different cover art than the case.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']Meruru on Newegg is the standard edition, the collector's sets sold out near release.[/QUOTE]

Nobody has confirmed this yet.

I believe the Meruru Limited Grand Finale Set was exclusive to NISA's online store.

EDIT: As far as Totori goes, Totori Plus is coming out for the Vita in Japan. It has extra stuff over the original. So far no localization announcements have been made, but I think it could be a possibility. Just something to keep in mind incase you aren't in a rush to play the game or if it's just going straight to your backlog anyway.

[quote name='barrit']I believe the Meruru Limited Grand Finale Set was exclusive to NISA's online store.

EDIT: As far as Totori goes, Totori Plus is coming out for the Vita in Japan. It has extra stuff over the original. So far no localization announcements have been made, but I think it could be a possibility. Just something to keep in mind incase you aren't in a rush to play the game or if it's just going straight to your backlog anyway.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yeah, I read about this but since KOEI released the first one in America, I wonder if they would have the license to sell "Totori Plus". I would ask but it looks like many of the U.S. staff have arrived in Japan for the Tokyo Game Show.

To those wondering, Meruru came with a "character archive", but no soundtrack.

Box feels REALLY flimsy compared to the rest of my PS3 games, and I can instantly notice when picking it up (mind you, the newest PS3 release I have before this is Dark Souls and everything else is super old, so if there was a universal packaging change in 2012, I would have missed it)

Yeah, I received my Meruru too. Character archive, no soundtrack. Standard PS3 case. Does Totori standard come with the character archive. I may go to Gamestop and get the standard version since it's last one there. I don't think I want to play Meruru until I play Totori first...or does it matter if I played Rorona, then Meruru and then Totori last?

If you click on the individual system versions, it allows you to add to cart (preorder).

Edit: nevermind. I guess the preorder BONUS is sold out, not the game itself lol.

Maybe someone in here can answer this...

I pre ordered Ragnarok Odyssey, but I'm kind of on the fence. I've never played a MH-esque game before. It seems interesting, but I also know the tales of difficulty. I do NOT like difficult games. How easily should I be able to get through this?

Thanks for the price info. The only one I think I have seen cheaper is "Last Rebellion" which was at $13.99-$16.99 on Amazon, but that was December (not sure if it was last year or the year before).

[quote name='storino03']Atelier Meruru $29.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879247053&Tpk=meruru

Atelier Totori $27.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879247046

Ar Tonelico Qoga $23.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879273015

Cross Edge $27.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879247036

Last Rebellion $29.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879273009[/QUOTE]

BTW...is anyone here into import Japanese games (specifically for the DS or PSP) and J-Pop? I need five people to check out my upcoming article. PM me if you are!

Is it bad that I am probably only ordering Natsume's new game just for their giant cow? Its not like I hate harvest moon, but I always end up never finishing these types of games.

[quote name='deuxhero']To those wondering, Meruru came with a "character archive", but no soundtrack.

Box feels REALLY flimsy compared to the rest of my PS3 games, and I can instantly notice when picking it up (mind you, the newest PS3 release I have before this is Dark Souls and everything else is super old, so if there was a universal packaging change in 2012, I would have missed it)[/QUOTE]

Ya.. i thought it was an anime box or something when it arrived. I was very disappointed to realize the Barrel shirt was in the box too, not separate. I still haven't opened mine, but i can see how these could get damaged in shipping very easily.

[quote name='jling84']I wish Trails in the Sky would get a sale again. I really regret not getting it on Amazon way back when.[/QUOTE]

I just hope the sequal actually gets a release... its not looking good even though we were promised it was coming

^_^x KD

Aksys Games Shifting World - $15.99 (DS) on Amazon (third party - fulfilled by Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/Shifting-Worl...8&qid=1348808734&sr=8-34&keywords=aksys+games

Aksys - Bit.Trip Saga 3DS - $16.49 (3DS) on Amazon (third party- fulfilled by Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/Bit-Trip-Saga...8&qid=1348808899&sr=8-35&keywords=aksys+games

Aksys - Rockin' Pretty - DS - $4.59 + $3.99 shipping - Amazon Third Party
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...99&sr=8-42&keywords=aksys+games&condition=new

Aksys - Jake Hunter Detective Story - $13.61
http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Hunter-D...8&qid=1348809080&sr=8-63&keywords=aksys+games

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back