Japanese Video Game Figure Thread

lilman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
This thread is dedicated to Japanese produced video game figures. In the past, Japanese figures were mostly used for manga and anime characters, but lately they have started making figures from video game franchises. This is more of an awareness announcement than a deal thread since figures can easily sell out long before they are available and the second hand market can be crazy expensive. Pre-ordering is usually the cheapest way to get a popular figure.

Released Figures:

To give you an idea of what Japanese figures look like, the following are some that have been released over the years:

Majora's Mask Link Nendoroid (April 21, 2016):
cB1FifX.jpg

Kirby Nendoroid (January 27, 2016):
ud0Oq0h.jpg

Rockman Nendoroid (January 14, 2016):
7KVFZ4K.jpg

Metal Gear Solid Snake Nendoroid (January 21, 2015):
Cu9jSHm.jpg

Luigi Nendoroid (June 24, 2014):
MUcku2k.jpg

Samus Varia Suit Figma (October 27, 2014) (re-release):
CVRU4tK.jpg

Wind Waker Link Nendoroid (June 2015) (re-release):
J8LMIup.jpg

Sonic Nendoroid (October 8, 2013) (re-release):
mc7o15.jpg

Skyward Sword Link Figma (September 2015) (re-release):
2ymehx1.jpg

Shizue (Isabelle) Nendoroid (April 2016) (re-release):
Mr7WyAS.jpg

Marth Nendoroid (May 10, 2016):
5vFuwLa.jpg

Zero Suit Samus (May 2016) (re-release) (exclusive):
NbL16GM.jpg

A Link Between Worlds Link Figma (August 2016):
SQ9YprG.jpg

DX ver includes additional accessories: hookshot, bomb, tornado rod, clay pot, rupee, baby Maiamai

Figma Fire Emblem Awakening Lucina (August 2016) (re-release):
cdL4RAu.jpg

Wind Waker Zelda Nendoroid (October 2016):
DQXupxZ.jpg

GSC 1/7 Skyward Sword Link (November 2016) (exclusive):
nHhJ8VW.jpg

Figma Zero Suit Samus (December 2016):

iVukTJr.jpg

Breath of the Wild Link Nendoroid DX Edition (June 2017):

2s69e1g.jpg

Pit Figma (April 27, 2013):

lq9Ox.jpg

Dark Pit Figma (April 27, 2013):
fBALb.jpg

Kongiku (May 8, 2013):
6mPGP.jpg

Momohime (January 18, 2013):

bTkVzCN.jpg

About Japanese Figures:

Scale figures, like Zero Suit Samus, are statues made of ABS and PVC. Scale are bigger than Figma, more detailed, and again for display rather than play. Scale figures are not posable and may not come with accessories or alternate facial expressions.

Figma is like an action figure but higher quality. Figma are very posable and come with accessories, alternate faces, and alternate hands to recreate poses from the source material (as well as make up your own scenarios). Check out all the different display poses they show off in pics. While they are designed with posability in mind, these are still meant for display rather than play. These aren't like action figures you would give a kid. Many Figma parts are compatible with other Figmas, allowing you to create interesting combinations of outfits and expressions.

Nendoroid are cutesy interpretations of characters. Each is about 4" tall and, like Figma, usually comes with various faces/hands/accessories to reproduce poses/scenes from the source material. Also like Figma, many Nendo parts are compatible with other Nendos. Faces, hair, hands, and outfits can often be swapped between characters.

Real Action Heroes (RAH) are like a blend of scale figure, Figma, and doll. They are still made of ABS and PVC, but the clothes are made of fabric, giving them a more realistic look. RAH are posable like Figma and typically include accessories and alternate faces. They are bigger than your average scale figure and very high quality. Accordingly, they are also exceedingly expensive.

Shipping:

Don't forget about shipping cost. SAL small packet registered should cost $10-20 and takes about 2-3 weeks to reach me in Florida. SAL may also be available unregistered for 410 JPY less, but you lose tracking and insurance (so if your package goes missing, you are sol). EMS is the best shipping and only takes about 2 days to arrive but is considerably more expensive. There is also SAL Parcel, but it is worth spending a little extra for EMS. You may have to use EMS if your item is too big to fit in a SAL box. I always use SAL registered when I can. If you pre-order multiple figures, you can combine shipping if they come out in the same month (assuming no delays) and save some money.

Shipping cost is based on weight. If you are ordering multiple figures at once, it is cheaper to request two SAL shipments than one EMS. It is also cheaper to combine items than do separate shipments for each. From my experience, 3-4 Nendoroid/Figma will fit in a single SAL box. A scale figure may fit with 1-2 Nendoroid/Figma boxes, depending on the scale and size of figure box used. Some figures come in larger boxes than expected. There is no way to know how large/heavy your figure will be before ordering. Some stores may offer an estimate at time of order or indicate that an item should be compatible with SAL.

SAL unregistered (no tracking or insurance) does not require a signature upon delivery. All other shipping methods do, so try to be home on delivery day. If you miss the delivery, you can stop by your local post office for pickup starting the next day.

Payment:

For most Japanese shops, you don't pay until the figure(s) is ready to ship. The exceptions are some limited edition items (which you'll have to pay for in full at time of purchase, including shipping) and certain stores that require a % deposit. Payment is best done through PayPal.

The current exchange rate can be viewed in PayPal -> Profile -> My Money -> Currencies (disclosure arrow of PayPal balance). The PP rate is always a little more expensive than the current rate since they charge a fee for the exchange (I believe 2.5%, the rate you see is already calculated with that fee). You can also opt to pay directly from your PP tied bank account or cc when checking out with PP.. You will have to check your bank and cc websites for their rate info, including whatever % fee they use for the exchange. Best case scenario would be to use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

You will usually receive an invoice the day after an item is released. Shipping usually occurs the day after payment is sent, depending on the store.

Japanese Shops I've Used and Recommend:

AmiAmi: http://www.amiami.com/
My favorite store. Among the best prices. Easily combine orders by month. Amazing pre-owned section. Shipping is usually a little more than other stores since they use lots of packing materials.

Hobby Link Japan: http://www.hlj.com/
My second favorite store. Usually a bit more expensive than the store listed here. In exchange for higher prices, you can cancel orders at any time. Private warehouse feature lets you hold items for up to 60 days to combine shipping, though you still pay for the figure at time of release. Excellent customer service.

Hobby Search: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/
Can combine orders of the same month but not as nicely as AmiAmi. Can cancel a pre-order within the first week of placing.

Big in Japan: http://biginjap.com/
Prices usually a little lower than the rest. Good selection of prize figures. Can pay for pre-orders upfront. Can combine orders by month if you send them a message through your order history page. Can act as proxy or forwarder. Not good at responding to emails, so I don't use them now as much as I used to.

Tokyo Otaku Mode: http://otakumode.com/
Charges in USD $, pay upfront at time of placing order. Regularly offers coupons and bonus point campaigns. Has a Premium membership that is well worth getting since it pays for itself ($15 for 3 months gives you $16.50 in points), 5% off everything, slightly cheaper shipping, and better coupons. You get $5 in points when you register your account, plus another $5 if you signup through a referral link (referrer also gets $5), making your first order $10 off. Excellent customer service.

Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/

Thanks to their Global program, many of their figures are now eligible to be shipped directly to your house rather than having to go through a proxy/forwarder. This is only available on figures fulfilled by Amazon, including those sold by third-party and fulfilled by Amazon. Not all Amazon fulfilled items are eligible for Global shipping. Shipping cost is very good (around RSAL cost) and very fast (3-6 days). Japanese consumption tax (8%) is removed from the advertised price at checkout.

Plamoya: http://www.plamoya.com
Check for sales, otherwise usually overpriced.

Secondhand Japanese Shops I've Used and Recommend:

I buy a lot secondhand. The items are usually in great condition and, for most of my orders, have never been opened before. This lets me get figures I missed out on before I started collecting or couldn't budget at time of release.

AmiAmi Pre-owned: http://www.amiami.com/top/page/c/preowned.html
My favorite store for secondhand figures thanks to a daily updated selection, cheap shipping options, and combining pre-owned items with my pre-orders for that month. Items are rated by separate figure and box conditions. "A" condition means it looks brand new, "B" means there is some normal ware but should still be good, "C" or lower you should probably avoid (at least for figure condition, I personally don't care too much about secondhand box condition). Pricing is hit or miss, but usually good compared to other stores. Their selection is good and updated daily (except Sundays). Stock status is accurate when ordering.

Mandarake: http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/
Excellent source for secondhand figures. Mandarake is a web front for a collection of B&M hobby stores in Japan. Their selection is huge, pricing is great, and new items are added daily. Many of their secondhand items have never been opened. The condition is commonly something like "not opened/box damaged" which translates to it will look brand new when you get it :3 Each order can only be from a single store since it will be shipping from that one location. Because these are B&M stores, an item you ordered may sell out that same day in store (this has happened to me a few times). In that case, the item is removed from your order, or if your order is just one item, the order is cancelled. You can check boxes for "cancel order if this item is oos". You'll receive an email the following day with the items they were able to secure (hopefully everything in your order), the total including shipping, and a link to payment.

Suruga-ya: http://www.suruga-ya.jp/
Warning: Suruga-ya is in Japanese and requires a proxy or forwarder to get your items (see below for details).
Huge selection and low prices. Sales on items can randomly start at any time. Adding more items to your cart can give you a % discount. Stock system is accurate, at least from my experiences. As the website is only available in Japanese, use MFC to find the Japanese name of the character you are interested in so that you can perform a search.

Recommended US Shops:

Big Bad Toy Store (BBTS): http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/ (allows cancellations, no money down required on pre-orders, warehouse feature, $4 shipping)
Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/ (check for weekly deals, free shipping at $75)
Tokyo Otaku Mode (TOM): http://www.otakumode.com/ (I also count them as a US shop since some of their items are fulfilled by US warehouse, free shipping at $150)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ (occasionally has some figures at good prices)

My Figure Collection:

MFC is an amazing (and free) community of figure collectors. It has info on all Japanese figures including release dates, pics, user ratings, reviews, etc. If you are interested in Japanese figure collecting, I highly recommend joining to keep track of your collection and follow the latest news on upcoming releases. Here's my MFC profile as an example: http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Cantisama

CAG has an MFC club that you can join here: http://myfigurecollection.net/club/1219

Proxy and Forwarding:

There are two services when buying an item that cannot be shipped directly to your country, a proxy and a forwarder. A proxy is a business or person located in the host country (Japan in our case) that places an order on your behalf and then ships it to you.

With a forwarder, you are the one who places the order. You set the shipping address to that of the forwarder who is located in the host country. The forwarder then ships the package to you upon receipt.

Forwarding is typically cheaper than using a proxy since a proxy will charge a % fee based on order total that includes the cost of the item(s). Since with forwarding you are the one paying for the items directly, any % fee is only applied to the cost of shipping + a small forwarding fee. Using a proxy can be easier though since you don't have to place the order yourself on a website that may be only available in a foreign language.

There are many proxy and forwarding service providers. For Nendo Red from Amazon.co.jp, I used Big in Japan as a forwarder and the transaction went perfectly. Fees were also very reasonable.

My first proxy experience: http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/15573
My first forwarding experience: http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/16415

Sites offering proxy and/or forwarding services:
Big in Japan (proxy + forward): http://www.biginjap.com
dv8cag (proxy + forward): http://dv8cag.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Targets have dropped the clearance prices on Overwatch Nendos down to $15. That is the lowest they will go (70% off) before being removed from store inventory.

My store still had one Mercy left (with $25 clearance sticker, but Target App rang up as $15). Note that if you bought one of these earlier at a higher price like I did, you cannot do a simple price adjustment because they are on clearance. You would normally have to do a buy / return (ie there must still be stock available in store), but my store let me do a return / rebuy without the hassle of me having to go home to pickup my previous box for return (I had only brought the receipt with me, so they scanned the barcode from the one in store). You can try your luck with return / rebuy at a store without stock, but Target doesn't have to allow it.

My store also had a Tracer "as-is" for $18. Didn't look like it has been opened before, but I'll keep my $25 one.

Kingdom Hearts Riku Nendoroid (January 2019):
outmyr.jpg

Placed my TOM 30% off order before the coupon expires. Picked up:
-Revolve Holo (Wise Wolf ftw!)
-SHF Bulma (poor choice of outfit, but yay for Bulma)
-EXQ Shinobu (badass, though they used green blood for distribution reasons)
-EXQ Yuuki beach ver. (to go with my 4 other EXQ SAO beach figs)
-KonoSuba wall scroll (on clearance, plus this is one of the few KonoSuba scrolls that is family friendly)
Total: $173 (after 30% off and $8 in points) + $13 back in points + free shipping

Still pissed I didn't get the $40+ back I would of from that one day only bonus. I talked to TOM about it, and they agreed the 20x promo duration was misleading. They said they won't make that mistake again.

I've noticed some random GSC re-releases popping up for mid September, including Nendo Play Set School Life A & B for only 1770 yen each. That's like original release prices.
Could be overstock that GSC needs to get rid of, which is rare for them. Most of the time, when I see this sort of thing on AmiAmi, it's Square Enix stuff.

Could be overstock that GSC needs to get rid of, which is rare for them. Most of the time, when I see this sort of thing on AmiAmi, it's Square Enix stuff.
Maybe, but this seems different somehow. GSC usually handles overstock either through store restocks or on the GSC Shop (in the area below pre-orders). Some of these, like the Nendo Play Sets, are much cheaper than usual, while others, like Nendo Mickey, are full price. And they are all being treated as pre-orders... just strange.

Anyway, good chance to pick up the Nendo school play sets if you don't have them already. I got them during the last re-release at 3k ea and felt lucky considering they were going for like 10k ea in the aftermarket.

New single-use Tokyo Otaku Mode coupon (originally posted by dmi in MFC's Coupons thread):

30% off cart after adding an item from Figures & Dolls label
Coupon Code: ENJOYOTAKON
Valid Before: Aug 31, 2018 11:59pm PST
Final day!

Some things to note:

-As long as at least one figure is in your cart, the 30% off applies to the whole order.

-Free shipping over $150, calculated after coupons and points are applied and not including shipping costs.

-All TOM orders are paid up-front.

-There is a clearance sale that also ends today, so a chance to get even bigger discounts. I got a normally $30 wall scroll for $12.60. They have F4F BotW Link for $41 after clearance and 30% off. I've seen it in person at Best Buy for $90, and it looks great.

Monster Hunter World Female Hunter Rathalos Edition Nendoroid (April 2019):

NOSmzpP.jpg

DX Ver:

Ar7vmvU.jpg

"Additionally, the DX version comes with a replacement head part for displaying the hunter with a ponytail, Scoutflies, Slinger parts, monster footsteps, barbecue food and a table and chair, allowing you to enjoy MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD even more!"

Nice addons in the DX ver (visit the MFC page for more pics), but you definitely pay for them.

There's another MHW Nendo coming later:

I have the MH3 Nendo. The Rathlos Edition looks really cool. The DX is tempting me...
Keeping a close eye out for that Xeno hunter too. I've got the other four they made back in the day (Barioth, Lagiacrus, Kirin, and Lagombi.) and can't wait for more. Kinda tempted to start swapping parts to make some mixed sets, ahahaha.

They'll be taking my money with the DX version.  Splatoon is one of my favorite (recent) IP's.

EDIT:  Preordered the DX!

Target is clearancing some Overwatch Nendos. Regular price $50, normal clearance $25, best clearance $15. They started this a while ago, but the discount finally hit stores near me. You may want to check if your stores have updated as well:

Mercy: 207-04-0268

Mei: 207-04-0301

Tracer: 207-04-1576

I picked up Mercy at $25. I'm not much of an Overwatch fan, but I like the character designs.

-Update-

Thanks to my sister's help (she lives near a much better stocked Target than mine), was able to also get Mei and Tracer for $25 ea.
Got Mei and Tracer, no stores remotely near me had a Mercy.

This was weeks ago FYI, just haven't posted because I've had no energy. Turns out organ transplants take a lot to recover from.

Braing Arts Nier Automata 9S and A2 are up for pre-order. They also have a 2B ver2 in the works. If we've learned a lesson from 2B though, it is probably best to stay away from these high cost, low quality messes.

Flare's 2B should be up for pre-order soon.

Turns out organ transplants take a lot to recover from.
Where's Nendo Mercy when you need her ^^;

Good luck on your recovery.

Just paid for Nendo Atlas and P-body at AmiAmi. I noticed on MFC that not many people ordered these. I have high hopes though.

Also Nendo Geralt releases tomorrow. His tub accessory is going to be fun.

Now extended to Sept. 30.
It stacks with new pre-orders' 10x points for 40x back. September was already brutal for me, so I'm keeping my distance ^^;

I wish they made Harry's eyes green as the GSC bonus, so both sides could be happy. I saw your mark-up on MFC, and it stood out way too much against the rest of his color scheme.

I can't even tell exactly what the Gryffindor mat is. It goes over the bottom stand, I'm assuming? I wish it was at least the actual replacement stand itself. Which will still be weird when they release Ron and Hermione.

Anyone plan on ordering these figures from the fantasy credits of My Hero Academia? I want to grab em, but Aitaikuji seems a bit pricey and unreliable in the long run. Never messed with Taobao or TaobaoRing or anything. Thought I'd see if anyone had any experience.

bnha-fantasy-figures.jpg

I wish they made Harry's eyes green as the GSC bonus, so both sides could be happy.
GSC changed his eyes to green.

Anyone plan on ordering these figures from the fantasy credits of My Hero Academia? I want to grab em, but Aitaikuji seems a bit pricey and unreliable in the long run. Never messed with Taobao or TaobaoRing or anything. Thought I'd see if anyone had any experience.
Considering the manufacturer is Chinese and BNHA figure licensing has been tough, you may not have much of a choice where you pre-order these from. I don't have experience with these shops. $85 on Aitaikuji seems rough. Some info on Taobao: https://myfigurecollection.net/thread/14218

On a related BNHA note, I instantly pre-ordered Bell Fine Asui.

GSC changed his eyes to green.

Considering the manufacturer is Chinese and BNHA figure licensing has been tough, you may not have much of a choice where you pre-order these from. I don't have experience with these shops. $85 on Aitaikuji seems rough. Some info on Taobao: https://myfigurecollection.net/thread/14218

On a related BNHA note, I instantly pre-ordered Bell Fine Asui.
I'm also super tempted by Tsu. She looks fantastic.

Thanks for the info dump on Taobao. I'll take a look!

Nendoroid Tsunade (June 2019):

pmbOFnW.jpg

Nice. I'm hoping she'll be available on TOM; I have a ton of points there to use up.
TOM posted an article about her but didn't put up a product page. The end of the article says "Available at various figure shops", so it sounds like they aren't getting it.

BBTS doesn't have her either. Probably a Japan-only licensing thing.

TOM posted an article about her but didn't put up a product page. The end of the article says "Available at various figure shops", so it sounds like they aren't getting it.

BBTS doesn't have her either. Probably a Japan-only licensing thing.
I hope that's not the case, but she isn't on Right Stuf either, so it's not looking good :cold: Waiting for a decent deal at any rate.

Flare 1/6 Nier:Automata 2B (September 2019):

Zwi8Pht.jpg

DX ver (includes alternate face w/out mask, alternate torso w/out skirt, and pod):

X9PN6ih.jpg

I really like the mask-less face of the DX, but f* that extra 7k yen. Maybe if TOM gets her and offers a good coupon...

Not really gaming related, but there's also a Nendo Envy for Fullmetal Alchemist. Exclusive GSC part being Ed's hand holding mini Envy.
To be fair, FMA did have a few video games (though I never tried them).

I'm not as excited about Envy as I have been for the others. I was hoping for Winry, then maybe an Armstrong sibling or Scar. Will probably get him anyway because FMA. I do like that they included his mini form.

I'm not that excited about Envy, but I wasn't that excited about Rita either. Especially her crappy bonus. But yea, I'm more excited about Envy's mini forms the most.

They need to make Winry (with Ed's broken arm) and Ling (normal face and shielded face) for sure. Then Scar, Alex (two bodies), and Mei (obviously with a Xiao Mei).

2B is up on OtakuMode, but I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger with the 20% off coupon plus my TOM points or maybe wait for a better deal uggggh

TOM 40x bonus points Oct 18-20.

2B is up on OtakuMode, but I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger with the 20% off coupon plus my TOM points or maybe wait for a better deal uggggh
That would have been a good deal, especially if you get free shipping. Given her size, I'm worried she will be too big for small packet, meaning $30+ shipping cost from Japanese shops.

TOM lists her as December release though (3 months after Japan release). I find it hard to pay that much money upfront for such a distant release :\

I'm not that excited about Envy, but I wasn't that excited about Rita either. Especially her crappy bonus. But yea, I'm more excited about Envy's mini forms the most.
Riza is my favorite FMA character after Al, so she was an insta-preorder for me :razz: The one I was on the fence about was Roy, but once Riza was announced, I had to get him.

Just preordered Envy at the GSC shop, along with Simon (though his lack of faceplates + no Lagann included still bugs me) and Moderoid Gurren Lagann. At this point, I'll get as many FMA Nendos as they want to make! Personally, I'm expecting (and hoping) Lust will be next, given that she appeared in a lot of early scenes alongside Envy.

Riza is my favorite FMA character after Al, so she was an insta-preorder for me :razz: The one I was on the fence about was Roy, but once Riza was announced, I had to get him.
I don't dislike her, but she's not particularly interesting without Mustang around, since she's mostly his foil. The only scenes she's interesting outside the context of Mustang was her training Black Hayate. I'd prefer Izumi, Winry, or Mei, who don't feel as much like the support character of a support character. Even you sort of admit, you had to get Roy because you got Riza.

I'm sorry one of my favorite FMA characters is so boring to you -_-

As it happens, Winry is one of my least favorites (she's about as interesting to me as Riza seems to be to you), so to each their own, I guess.

I'm with you on Riza being awesome. And she is actually releasing on time this month ^^

Nendo Envy though... f* I'm torn. I'm worried I'm going to see him on my shelf and be thinking
You Hughes murdering bastard! *throws collectible I spent good money on*

-Edit- Ended up ordering Envy from GSC (along with Yuru Camp Rin DX and Tsunade). Mini Envy won me over.

Got the Atlas and P-Body Nendos in. They're ok but not great. The figures are surprisingly light due to being hollow, giving them a cheap feeling you don't usually get with Nendos. The included portal stands are cool, especially with their white tiled bases. GSC used hexagonal joints on these Nendos rather than the usual circular joints. As such, using the portals with other Nendo parts (like I was planning to do with Kyouma) will unfortunately require some trickery. The portal guns have larger handles than the usual Nendo holding hand, so again using them with other Nendos isn't as easy as I was hoping.

The figures look good as expected. Since the paint is so simple (each individual part is pretty much one solid color), there are no flaws to worry about. The heads/torsos can move within their harnesses, and the eyes can be pointed to look in other directions.

I'd give them a 7/10 score. They're currently 3900yen ea on Amazon JP. That seems a more appropriate price than the 4800yen ea I paid.

TOM 40x bonus points campaign has started. Runs Oct 18-20. Stacks with newly added items' 10x points for 50x points back. For example, newly added 2B regular ver is $147.24 with $73.61 back.

50x points can be considered 33% off, and 40x bonus points is like 28% off, but I don't like treating future money the same as out of pocket money. Optimizing this deal depends on whether or not you have TOM points (warning, potentially boring math ahead):
Case 1: You have x TOM points

Ideally, you would want to spend all x of your points and get them all back in the same transaction. The figure cost c you should be aiming for is: c = (x / .5) + x

Replace .5 with .4 if the figure comes with 40x points instead of 50x.

As an example, I currently have $35 in points. For a figure with 50x points, I would aim for: c = (35 / .5) + 35 = 105

So if I buy a 50x figure that costs $105 and use all $35 of my TOM points, then I would spend $70 out of pocket and get all $35 of my TOM points right back.

If you spend the ideal c amount, figures with 50x points would be an instant 33% off, and those with 40x points would be 28% off.

If the figure costs less than c, just use less of your points so that you again get the same points back. Or you can choose to still use all of your points, get a bigger discount upfront, but less points back to use later (so lower net discount, but losing store-specific currency isn't such a bad thing).

If the figure costs more than c, then use all of your points and get more points back than you spent. The net discount is smaller than ideal but can still be good.

Case 2. You don't have any TOM points

Assuming you will eventually spend all of the TOM points you get back, figures with 50x points can be considered 25% off, and those with 40x points would be like 20% off. In reality, it's still 33% off for 50x and 28% off for 40x, but I deducted some value for having to put down more money upfront.

Case 1: You have x TOM points
Ideally, you would want to spend all x of your points and get them all back in the same transaction. The figure cost c you should be aiming for is: c = (x / .5) + x
Replace .5 with .4 if the figure comes with 40x points instead of 50x.
As an example, I currently have $35 in points. For a figure with 50x points, I would aim for: c = (35 / .5) + 35 = 105
So if I buy a 50x figure that costs $105 and use all $35 of my TOM points, then I would spend $70 out of pocket and get all $35 of my TOM points right back.
If you spend the ideal c amount, figures with 50x points would be 33% off, and those with 40x points would be 28% off.
If the figure costs less than c, just use less of your points so that you again get the same points back. Or you can choose to still use all of your points, get a bigger discount upfront, but less points back to use later (so lower net discount, but losing store-specific currency isn't such a bad thing).
If the figure costs more than c, then use all of your points and get more points back than you spent. The net discount is smaller than ideal but can still be good.

Case 2. You don't have any TOM points
Assuming you will eventually spend all of the TOM points you get back, figures with 50x points can be considered 25% off, and those with 40x points would be 20% off.
[/quote]

Dude you work for NASA?

I thought TOM bonus points only apply to the portion you don't use points on?

And (c / .5) + c = 3c ?

Applying $73.78 to 2B Deluxe, it's $157.56 out of pocket, with -0.01 in TOM points.

Applying $0 points to 2B Deluxe, it's $221.34 out of pocket, with +110.66 TOM points.

You end up forfeiting $37 in TOM points.

bread's done
Back