Just purchased my first PS2...Game recommendations?

screwkick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Well, the new PS2 design got me. I purchased one last night, along with some "cheap" starter games:

GTA-Vice City
WWE Smackdown-HCTP
Resident Evil-Code Veronica X (rang up at $1.99)
NFL 2K5
NHL 2K5
NBA 2K5

Any other "must have" games I should pick up ASAP?

I like how your title says your "first PS2" like your expecting to have to buy more than one. Also where did you get Code Veronica to ring up at $1.99?

It depends on what kind of games you are looking for really? RPG, RTS, FPS, etc..

If you are looking for a solid platformer, the Ratchet and Clank series would be a really good choice.

ICO...should be able to find it cheap.

Jak/Ratchet & Clank/Sly Cooper (any one of them)

If you're into RPGs, Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

Code Veronica X rang up $1.99 @ TRU...in-store only I guess.

I enjoy all types of games: RPG, sports, Shooters, puzzle...

Katamari Damacy is my favorite PS2 game. Also, if you're into rhythm games, check out Frequency or Amplitude, both can be found cheap. Zone of the Enders 2 is another great game worth checking out. And Xenosaga will fill your RPG/movie watching requirements

Jesus where to begin?

Ratchet & Clank 1, 2 & 3
Jak & Daxter 1, 2, & 3
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
GTA: III, Vice City & San Andreas
Sly Cooper 1 & 2
Katamari Damacy
Devil May Cry
ICO
Hot Shots Golf Fore! (or 3 cause it's cheaper - same game though)
TimeSplitters 2

These are all AAA games (IMO, of course) and they should keep you busy for a few years. There are tons more but a quick search on gamerankings or IGN for their 8.0 games and above should help you out...

Wipeout Fusion: You'll find this on the cheap just about anywhere anymore. Quite possibly the best game for the system.

I'll agree that Amplitude is a great game, DDRs if you're able to play them (MAX2 being the best), and of course the regular suspects, like Gran Turismo 3 (or 4 if you can wait a while).

If the concept of "Magic: The Gathering" combined with Monopoly appeals to you in any way at all, you must get Culdcept. It's my favorite game in my PS2 library of over 50 games. You should be able to find a cheap but mint condition copy at any EBgames store.

Killzone
Metal Gear Solid 3 (from what I have heard it brings back the glory of the first one)
Kingdom Hearts
xenosaga
Devil May Cry
NBA Street (love this series)
Prince of Persia (1 or 2, though I haven't played 2 yet but I have heard it's awesome)
Culdcept (can be found cheap used at EBgames)
Katamari Damaci (can be found for $15 after GGC at BB, one of the year's best games might I add)
The Getaway
Ico
Zone of the Enders 1/2
Frequency/Amplitude
Mister Mosquito (great quirky game from Japan)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1/2
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (very similiar to Baldur's Gate but with a sci fi story, loads of fun.)
Drakengard
The Nippon Ichi three if you are into tactical RPGS (La Pucelle Tactics (can be found cheap for 19.99 at Gamecrazy right now), Disgaea, Phantom Brave)
Front Mission 4
Tekken Tag Tournement

All of these games are top calibur games and can be had pretty cheap, excluding the Nippon Ichi three which can be quite difficult to find and difficult to find cheap. I forgot to mention that Killzone and Metal Gear Solid 3 will not be cheap as they recently came out.

I'd also say that you should get the other two GTAs.

If you're looking for adventure/platform games, I can't recommend the Ratchet & Clank series enough. The Jak series, too.

I also have to mention ICO, which is very cheap everywhere now. It's a somewhat short game without too much in the way of gameplay, but the experience is akin to what "games as art" might be.

And of course, the obligatory, "wacky Japanese" recommendation for Katamari Damacy.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is also a great new game to pick up so long as you're willing to sit through some half-hour CODEC conversations.

I'm not sure if you already own these on other systems, but you should also give a try to Burnout 3, SSX 3, and THUG2 (though I personally still prefer THPS4 in the entire series). The thing about those 3 games is that they're so good they even appeal to people who don't care at all about racing, snowboarding, and skating.

[quote name='alongx']Katamari Damacy is my favorite PS2 game. Also, if you're into rhythm games, check out Frequency or Amplitude, both can be found cheap. Zone of the Enders 2 is another great game worth checking out. And Xenosaga will fill your RPG/movie watching requirements[/quote]

Agreed zone of the Enders 2 is a bitchin' game

[quote name='BigDirty']I'll agree that Amplitude is a great game, DDRs if you're able to play them (MAX2 being the best), and of course the regular suspects, like Gran Turismo 3 (or 4 if you can wait a while).[/quote]

I disagree that MAX2 is the best, I'd say stick with the PSOne DDRs if you can get your hands on one ;)

Hmmm. Many good games to choose from!

My faves would have to be:

Sly Cooper 1 and 2
R and C (all are fun)
Katamari Damacy
Activision Anthology (for pure nostalgia)
Dark Cloud 2
ICO
Rez (good luck finding that one though)
Beyond Good and Evil
GT 3

You can get all these must-have PS2 games for $19.99 or less:

Silent Hill 2 Greatest Hits version (avoid the non-GH version since the GH version contains all the Xbox/PC port extras) - great story, characters are well developed, lots of replay value

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance - contains more extras than the Sons of Liberty original, although the more violent cut scenes were slightly censored in Substance

Shadow of Destiny - one of the most underrated adventure, with a cleverly written time travel mystery and multiple endings that fit together and reveal more about the story than just being alternative scenarios

Soul Calibur 2 - weapon based fighting anime style. Tons of stuff to unlock. A real classic

Ace Combat 4 - perfect mix of flight sim and arcade game presented in mission/campaign format

Onimusha Trilogy - hack and slash RE style with great stories

Devil May Cry - loud and fast-paced Mario style platformer/action game

Tenchu 3 (Wrath of Heaven) - if you loved the original, you'll love this one too

Other non-cheap games I highly recommend:

Fatal Frame 1 & 2 - make the RE games look like a sunny day at the park

Ace Combat 5 - AC4 with better controls and great cut scenes/story, plus more missions and an arcade mode

Metal Gear Solid 3

Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts Convenant, Shin Megami (finally opened mine!), Gradius V, R Type Final ... and pretty much most if not all the games others have mentioned already :)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I like how your title says your "first PS2" like your expecting to have to buy more than one. Also where did you get Code Veronica to ring up at $1.99?[/quote]
It's not all that odd considering the horrible hardware Sony uses in their products.

ZOE2 is a really great action game... especially if you like Gundam.

There are so many good games, i really don't know where to start. My favoreite series on PS2 is Ratchet and Clank, the Onimusha trilogy is awesome as well. Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are wonderful, as is Contra: Shattered Soldier and Kingdom Hearts.

If you like platforming, try to find Klonoa 2, it's heaven.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']must-own games: downhill domination, freedom fighters, klonoa 2, robot alchemic drive, war of the monsters[/quote]

yes... downhill was awsome...

I am surprised nobody's said Twisted Metal Black... cheap and very well made.

Also if you can find these: Rez (good luck) and Gitaroo Man

Shadow Hearts (RPG)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (Hack and slash RPG)
Dynasty Warriors 3 (Hack and slash)
Zone of Ender 2 (Action)
Winning Eleven 7 (Footie game)
Time Crisis (Guncon game)

Devil May Cry
Batman Vengeance
Extermination
Kingdom Hearts
Dark Cloud
The Bouncer
Ico
Amplitude
Shinobi
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
GTA: San Andreas
Sonic Heroes
Viewtiful Joe
Resident Evil Outbreak
Twisted Metal Black

Mega Man: Anniversary Collection
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Sonic Mega Collection Plus

I think you have enough to keep you busy for a long long time but if you want platform fun I totally agree with everyone else buy one from the Ratchet and Clank series.

Grand Theft Auto series
KillZone
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Jak 3
Burnout 3
Freedom Fighters

That's all I can think of at the moment.

This is going to take awhile... :wink:

If you're into RPGs:

Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X, X-2
Xenosaga: Der Wille Zur Macht
Shadow Hearts
Dark Cloud 2

If you're into platformers:

Ratchet and Clank series
Jak and Daxter series
Sly Cooper series

If you're into racing games: