Just walked out of Miami Vice

Walked out after 30 minutes of Monster House in 3-d.

I got tired of being wowed by 3-d objects and realized that the only animated film I hate more than this was The Polar Express. Damn them...

[quote name='2Fast']Here's a simple rule to adhere to when deciding to see a movie or not: If it has Colin Farrell, avoid at all costs.[/quote]

Minority Report

Reality's Fringe;2076359 said:
"Let's get the shipment of drugs" *twenty minutes of loading drugs, shot of boat/plane/shot of dropping off drugs, shot of dancing/dry humping. Repeat for 2 1/2 hours*

Remember to add dialogue that goes nowhere, stiff acting, a total lack of ANY character development, a vanilla-as-fuck storyline about a generic Columbian drug cartel, a bunch of shots of people staring at things, a poor soundtrack, and a hilarioulsy cliched ending. Adaptation or no, the movie was ridiculous and poorly paced. I was literally in pain by the end , and that "awesome shootout" wasn't really that entertaining. If they didn't mean it to be an action film, you'd think they would've spent more time on the plot.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Even if the movie was called something different, and the characters names were changed to where it had nothing to do with Miami Vice, it would have still been a crappy movie. I felt like the two main characters hated each other because they said so little to one another.

I was totally bored for 2 hours.

[quote name='Brak']A sad state the entertainment industry is in when a movie sucks because it doesn't have action.

Eh... oh, well.[/QUOTE]

When it's a fucking adaption of Miami Vice, then yea, it is pretty sad when a movie dosen't have action.

That's like making an A-Team movie without a "let's build a crazy invention" montage or "let's have massive firefights at all times". Now I know how comic book fans feel when someone screws up their favorite character.

I knew this movie would suck ass as soon as I saw it was Miami Vice and it had Colin Farrell in it.

As someone who's a big fan of the original show, it's sad to see they even attempted this movie... it always looked like a poor Bad Boys ripoff in the previews, but without the humor.

Hollywood needs to fucking leave old tv properties alone... The Honeymooners, Bewitched, and now Miami Vice all suck ass... I can't wait for a movie based on "The Facts of Life" or "Knight Rider".

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I just don't have the heart to tell him....[/QUOTE]

Hollywood can royally kiss my ass if this is true.

Can't wait for the eventual A-Team movie where they completely fuck up the casting, characters, and plot.

They should get right to work on that Facts of Life movie... maybe even Simon & Simon. In a few years we can see "Roseanne - The Movie".

[quote name='Roufuss']When it's a fucking adaption of Miami Vice, then yea, it is pretty sad when a movie dosen't have action.

That's like making an A-Team movie without a "let's build a crazy invention" montage or "let's have massive firefights at all times". Now I know how comic book fans feel when someone screws up their favorite character.[/QUOTE]
The difference between the A-Team and Miami Vice is that one had, at it's core, an outlandish premise.

Vice cop life is full of anything but action.

Yeah the movie was pretty bad, that audioslave bullshit in the soundtrack pissed me off when it played in every freaking sex montage. Lengthy talking heads about stuff nobody cared about. Boring except for the two action sequences in the entire movie.

Cabin Fever fucking rules

Collateral was a great great movie, I was disappointed by Miami Vice

[quote name='Brak']The difference between the A-Team and Miami Vice is that one had, at it's core, an outlandish premise.

Vice cop life is full of anything but action.[/QUOTE]

Yea but Miami Vice always had over the top stuff... shit, I once saw Crockett jump from a bridge onto a speed boat and disable a bomb while disarming some crazy guy.

Another time Tubbs went undercover into a prison against all odds to stop some kind of drug ring in the prison which the wardens were a part of.

Another time they went undercover as some kind of colombian drug lords and had some shootout in a swamp on a boat.

I'm drawing a blank on some more episodes (those are the most recent ones I watched), but Miami Vice was rooted in real life but often skewed on the side of "wow, that's some crazy shit Crockett and Tubbs got themselves in on". It was also all about the pastel suits and the repetoire between the two.

The new movie dosen't look like it captures any of the essence or the feel of the original television show, but NONE of these movies do. I haven't yet seen the movie (nor do I want to) but the previews make it out to be some kind of Bad Boys rip off.

Hell, to counter act your point about no action, I remember a preview saying something like "this is one of the most action packed movies this summer... of all year!" from some douche reviewer (it's the one preview they use over and over and over). They also flash the words "sexy", "action packed" "exciting"... of course people will be disappointed when the movie is action free.

You've got to admit the previews for this movie make it look like generic shit.

Oh yeah, forgot about that fucking soundtrack, Linkin Park? Horrible choice.

[quote name='Roufuss']
Oh yeah, forgot about that fucking soundtrack, Linkin Park? Horrible choice.[/QUOTE]

The film's soundtrack will feature music from the likes of Moby, Audioslave, Mogwai, and more.

Miami Vice Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

"In the Air Tonight" - Nonpoint
"One of These Mornings" - Moby with Patti LaBelle
"We're No Here" - Mogwai
"Sinner Man (Felix Da Housecat's Heavenly House Mix)" - Nina Simone
"Auto Rock" - Mogwai
"Arranca" - Manzanita
"Ready For Love" - India.Arie
"Strict Machine (We Are Glitter Goldfrapp Mix)" - Goldfrapp
"Pennies in My Pocket" - Emilio Estefan
"New World in My View" - King Britt & Sister Gertrude Morgan
"Sweep" - Blue Foundation
"Anthem" - Moby
"Blacklight Fantasy" - Freaky Chakra
"Mercado Nuevo" - John Murphy
"Who Are You" - John Murphy
"Ramblas" - King Britt & Tim Motzer
"A-500" - Klaus Badelt & Mark Batson

The Numb/Encore song is only used for like 30 seconds in the very beginning and 90% of the clip is Jay-Z. -Club background music-

[quote name='Roufuss']It was also all about the pastel suits and the repetoire between the two.[/quote]

I don't think "reptoire" means what you think it means. Neither does repertoire... you're thinking of rapport. Reminds me of the time I heard this friend of mine said that they had a self-defecating sense of humor. Needless to say I deprecated him for that comment.

I have so many amusing stories about people mispronouncing and/or misspelling things which leads to humorous situations for said individuals. Just ask this one kid back in high school who didn't know the proper spelling of hotmail and was then chastised for the rest of his academic years at said school. In fact, I've seen at least 8 people get turned down or otherwise not given the time of day, because of how they said something to someone else, 3 of which have happened from guys approaching me.

Maybe I'm just odd in wanting someone who knows how to talk at a higher level than "hey baby, can i buy you a drink?". Yes, you can, since I've been looking for something to throw in your face since the 5 seconds ago that I first heard that idiot frat-boy voice of yours try to pick me up with the exact same line that I've only heard 52 times tonight...

Oh my, I've gone and ranted again, haven't I? :whistle2:#

Anyhow, what was that Audioslave song they used? I surmised it was probably from the second album, but I could be mistaken.

[quote name='DJ K8E']I don't think "reptoire" means what you think it means. Neither does repertoire... you're thinking of rapport. Reminds me of the time I heard this friend of mine said that they had a self-defecating sense of humor. Needless to say I deprecated him for that comment.

I have so many amusing stories about people mispronouncing and/or misspelling things which leads to humorous situations for said individuals. Just ask this one kid back in high school who didn't know the proper spelling of hotmail and was then chastised for the rest of his academic years at said school. In fact, I've seen at least 8 people get turned down or otherwise not given the time of day, because of how they said something to someone else, 3 of which have happened from guys approaching me.

Maybe I'm just odd in wanting someone who knows how to talk at a higher level than "hey baby, can i buy you a drink?". Yes, you can, since I've been looking for something to throw in your face since the 5 seconds ago that I first heard that idiot frat-boy voice of yours try to pick me up with the exact same line that I've only heard 52 times tonight...

Oh my, I've gone and ranted again, haven't I? :whistle2:#

Anyhow, what was that Audioslave song they used? I surmised it was probably from the second album, but I could be mistaken.[/QUOTE]

if you want a guy to say something al ittle more sophisticated I would suggest not going to bars. And you don't have to throw the drink his face, just drink it and at least say thank you for the courtesy of him buying you a drink.

You remind me of the controlling bitch form Saving Silverman. Good day satan.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm on a huge dose of painkillers, cut me some slack.

It's amazing what I'm writing even makes sense.[/quote]
He does actually make sense, I've seen this, sans-painkillers and ear infection. Trust me on this.

[quote name='mr ryles']if you want a guy to say something al ittle more sophisticated I would suggest not going to bars. And you don't have to throw the drink his face, just drink it and at least say thank you for the courtesy of him buying you a drink.

You remind me of the controlling bitch form Saving Silverman. Good day satan.[/quote]
Well excuse me for expecting something a bit more than just the typical schtick that this guy probably uses on every single girl until it finally works. I expect to be treated and talked to as if I'm an individual, not just another possibile notch in their belt.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Well excuse me for expecting something a bit more than just the typical schtick that this guy probably uses on every single girl until it finally works. I expect to be treated and talked to as if I'm an individual, not just another possibile notch in their belt.[/QUOTE]

well you're not going to get there throwing drinks in their face. It's just the 1st line. Take the drink, and if the guy looks decent talk to him. Would you perfer some other perverted pick up line?

[quote name='mr ryles']well you're not going to get there throwing drinks in their face. It's just the 1st line. Take the drink, and if the guy looks decent talk to him. Would you perfer some other perverted pick up line?[/quote]
Asking if you can buy me a drink, is a crutch, and you shouldn't rely on it. You might as well ask me what my "sign" is or ask me how I like my eggs done. I'm not saying write it off completely, but as an opening line, it's a bit overused.

For example, here's an example of a good way that a guy once started up a conversation with me, without falling into the typical pitfalls.

"You don't seem to be too thrilled about being here." I said I'm not, that guys keep bugging me, like I thought he was doing at the time. He said, "Same thing here, these girls just will not stop talking to me." and he smiled in a nice, genuine way, then said, "How about we go somewhere and talk for a while. If for nothing else than to not be bugged for a while." and we did, and it was fun.

It was still a pickup attempt, but it wasn't the same thing I'd heard hundreds of times before, and that counts for something with me.

My oh my, we're getting way off topic now...

The only movie I ever walked out of was The Blair Witch Project. I was like 10 (I think), and it was boring as hell and the handheld cameras were making me naucious.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I just don't have the heart to tell him....[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's freaking comic gold right there. That post freaking rules. Thanks for the laugh.

Oh and I thought the movie would suck because everything seemd to be done in a hyper cool style. Look at my cool car, boat, shirt, glasses, bar, club, girl, drink, tv, gun.... Just everything trying so hard to be cool, I can't watch a movie like that. Because you know the plot will suck since they spent so much time on flash.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Well excuse me for expecting something a bit more than just the typical schtick that this guy probably uses on every single girl until it finally works. I expect to be treated and talked to as if I'm an individual, not just another possibile notch in their belt.[/quote]

How can you not? It's a bar. By their very defiinition, it's a social gathering place. Socialization occurs amongst people socializing. Trying to get w/ a pretty girl is one of the facets of socialization. It's one of its unspoken tenets. If you don't want to be picked up on, don't go to a bar. If you're forced to go & don't want to be picked up, don't look presentable. If you want to be picked up, the cheesy line is not to be mistaken for anything other than an icebreaker, not as a display of intelligence. Sure witty conversation can be had but one cannot have a conversation with one who is already predisposed not to talk to you in the first place because of a bad opener. That's as shallow as the guy who's trying to pick you up.

If you think about anyone schtick, it's really all the same. What's the purpose of the schtick? To seem witty to impress the lady enough to initiate a conversation. Trust me, if you want to be treated as an individual w/ dignity & respect, it's a 2-way street so you must be at least reciprocal. Throwing a drink in a guy's face make you look like a stuck up ice princess. Even if the guy is a cesspool, a little lie or a harsh truth such as "I'm not interested" would suffice. Trust me, you'd be doing the guy a favor as he won't waste his time, money & effort on an unresponsive girl. But I agree w/ you, Miami Vice sucked.

[quote name='jaykrue']How can you not? It's a bar. By their very defiinition, it's a social gathering place. Socialization occurs amongst people socializing. Trying to get w/ a pretty girl is one of the facets of socialization. It's one of its unspoken tenets. If you don't want to be picked up on, don't go to a bar. If you're forced to go & don't want to be picked up, don't look presentable. If you want to be picked up, the cheesy line is not to be mistaken for anything other than an icebreaker, not as a display of intelligence. Sure witty conversation can be had but one cannot have a conversation with one who is already predisposed not to talk to you in the first place because of a bad opener. That's as shallow as the guy who's trying to pick you up.

If you think about anyone schtick, it's really all the same. What's the purpose of the schtick? To seem witty to impress the lady enough to initiate a conversation. Trust me, if you want to be treated as an individual w/ dignity & respect, it's a 2-way street so you must be at least reciprocal. Throwing a drink in a guy's face make you look like a stuck up ice princess. Even if the guy is a cesspool, a little lie or a harsh truth such as "I'm not interested" would suffice. Trust me, you'd be doing the guy a favor as he won't waste his time, money & effort on an unresponsive girl. But I agree w/ you, Miami Vice sucked.[/quote]

dropppinknowledge.jpg

[quote name='CappyCobra']Fixed :cool:[/quote]

Yeah, I don't get some people's fascination with Cabin Fever around here. To me, it hardly constituted being a horror film.

There were some good moments, though. The old man/ni@@er joke was fuggin hilarious.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yeah, I don't get some people's fascination with Cabin Fever around here. To me, it hardly constituted being a horror film.

There were some good moments, though. The old man/ni@@er joke was fuggin hilarious.[/QUOTE]
I liked the fact that the movie trys to be a serious horror up to a point where it stops taking itself seriously and steers off into absurd and funny situations.

The movie realy doesnt seem to have anything to do with the miami vice tv show other than the names of the charactors and one guys white n ones black.
Thats what im hearing atleast I like the directors work butwhats he doing remaking tv shows? It seems like hes to good for the concept.
Still im interested jamie fox and the thought of collateral and heat .

I havent liked collin ferral since dare devil btw anyone ever notice that if that the 2 problems with daredevil wernt ben afleck or the suit it was the fight scene in the park with electra and the entire bullseye charactor..without those 2 things that movie had a chance.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Maybe I'm just odd in wanting someone who knows how to talk at a higher level than "hey baby, can i buy you a drink?". Yes, you can, since I've been looking for something to throw in your face since the 5 seconds ago that I first heard that idiot frat-boy voice of yours try to pick me up with the exact same line that I've only heard 52 times tonight...[/QUOTE]
Just so you know, you're a rare breed.

... although I'm not entirely sure why that was brought up. :lol:

[quote name='Brak']Just so you know, you're a rare breed.

... although I'm not entirely sure why that was brought up. :lol:[/quote]

I went off on a tangent, everyone argued with me about something I said that rubbed them the wrong way, that whole deal. I guess I'm going to have to get used to it sooner or later, since it happens to me all the time anyway.

And guys thank you for yelling at me about even saying that I wanted to throw a drink in guys face, actually, it was a, what do you call it? A "for instance", that I was going to throw a drink in some guy's face. It's what I would think, not what I would say to someone offering me a drink. I am at least outwardly nice, and inwardly leary. I listen to every guy's schtick, but 9/10 of them sound the exact same. Not talking about just the first lines either, I'm talking about basically the whole conversation. It's like they've all taken the exact same seminar on how to get girls. I'm just saying, it doesn't work on me. Possibly because I'm usually there to do the same thing they are, and all they're doing is fucking up my chi, but who knows?

[quote name='DJ K8E']
And guys thank you for yelling at me about even saying that I wanted to throw a drink in guys face, actually, it was a, what do you call it? A "for instance", that I was going to throw a drink in some guy's face. It's what I would think, not what I would say to someone offering me a drink. I am at least outwardly nice, and inwardly leary. I listen to every guy's schtick, but 9/10 of them sound the exact same. Not talking about just the first lines either, I'm talking about basically the whole conversation. It's like they've all taken the exact same seminar on how to get girls. I'm just saying, it doesn't work on me. Possibly because I'm usually there to do the same thing they are, and all they're doing is fucking up my chi, but who knows?[/QUOTE]

No offense, but I could write this exact thing and replace all references from men to women, and it would make complete sense as well.

You mean, you like Sex in the City too? Holy shit, that doesn't make you like ANY. OTHER. WOMAN. IN. THE. WORLD.

(The above is a "for instance," btw.)

Am I still in the Miami Vice topic? .... Wtf?

[quote name='Strell']No offense, but I could write this exact thing and replace all references from men to women, and it would make complete sense as well.

You mean, you like Sex in the City too? Holy shit, that doesn't make you like ANY. OTHER. WOMAN. IN. THE. WORLD.

(The above is a "for instance," btw.)

Am I still in the Miami Vice topic? .... Wtf?[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

But both circumstances are somewhat unique, in that the frat boy's motivation is a direct allusion towards fucking. However, it's equally disgusting / disappointing when those tactics work.

[quote name='DJ K8E']I went off on a tangent, everyone argued with me about something I said that rubbed them the wrong way, that whole deal. I guess I'm going to have to get used to it sooner or later, since it happens to me all the time anyway.

And guys thank you for yelling at me about even saying that I wanted to throw a drink in guys face, actually, it was a, what do you call it? A "for instance", that I was going to throw a drink in some guy's face. It's what I would think, not what I would say to someone offering me a drink. I am at least outwardly nice, and inwardly leary. I listen to every guy's schtick, but 9/10 of them sound the exact same. Not talking about just the first lines either, I'm talking about basically the whole conversation. It's like they've all taken the exact same seminar on how to get girls. I'm just saying, it doesn't work on me. Possibly because I'm usually there to do the same thing they are, and all they're doing is fucking up my chi, but who knows?[/quote]

For all the stuff I bolded, that's just the nature of the game. I can easily complain about the numerous vapid conversations I deal with when trying to hook up:

"So what do you think of Brangelina?"

"I can't believe that Fendi was on sale!"

"OMG! My girls went to ATL without me because of my sprained heel! I hate those bitches."

:roll:

You've got to understand that the conversation is also a filter for guys as well. Depending on how it went, we can evaluate whether or not a girl falls into 3 categories - the hookup, the fubu, or the gf. Whether or not we have sex w/ them is beside the point. We're all looking for that special someone. It's just when it comes to sex, guys will be hard pressed (no pun intended) to turn it down when it comes to a pretty girl.

Seriously though, if you're lookin' for someone to be your transitory soulmate, bars are the worst place to go to. Being a pretty girl, you're gonna get hit on regardless of where you go but a bar is a given. If you want to pursue guys of a more intellectual bent, go to more unconventional socialization places such as coffee houses, bookstores, company picnics, etc. They won't guarantee that you'll meet an intelligent, respectful guy but it'll definitely increase your chances.

So, don't hate the player, hate the game. :rofl:

There are girls that can't be social-scientifically classified, you know? ;o

Personally, I want one that - no offense - jaykrue can't psychologically profile -- and there are some that exist. They're just impossible hard to find.

[quote name='Brak']There are girls that can't be social-scientifically classified, you know? ;o

Personally, I want one that - no offense - jaykrue can't psychologically profile -- and there are some that exist. They're just impossible hard to find.[/quote]

It's not a complete psychological profile but an impression of personality type. I wouldn't know a girl's exact taste in clothing, music, etc. I'm not that good. :lol: But I will be able to figure out whether she's a vapid airhead or an independent & intelligent young woman. :bouncy:

[quote name='DJ K8E'] this one kid back in high school who didn't know the proper spelling of hotmail [/quote]

I'm curious as to what this humorous misspelling was.

[quote name='Xevious']When did this thread spiral wildly away from 'Miami Vice'?[/QUOTE]
Miami Vice -> Vanity
Vanity

I guess I can't imagine an "independent and intelligent" woman being up for group-dating. Mostly with the "independent" characteristic. I only foresee vapid airheads wanting to do this.

But then again, I'm fucking clueless.

[quote name='argyle']Only movie I can remember walking out on was Battlefield: Earth. I tried watching it about a year later when I found it playing on HBO, thinking I was going to make myself watch the whole thing this time. I ended up changing the channel at almost the exact same spot I had walked out on. :p[/QUOTE]

It's a shame nobody except scientologists knows that this movie is based on real battles from ancient space (95,000,000 yrs ago, very space opera).

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/OTIII/

[quote name='Strell']I guess I can't imagine an "independent and intelligent" woman being up for group-dating. Mostly with the "independent" characteristic. I only foresee vapid airheads wanting to do this.

But then again, I'm fucking clueless.[/quote]

Oh they would be. Just because a woman's independent & intelligent doesn't mean her friends are. She could be going along for moral support. Plus, in terms of attractiveness, the uglier her friends are, the more attractive it makes her (even if she does this subconsciously). I think that would make her even more intelligent (if a bit conniving) in that she's exploiting whatever assets she has to make herself more desirable.

[quote name='jaykrue']Oh they would be. Just because a woman's independent & intelligent doesn't mean her friends are. She could be going along for moral support. Plus, in terms of attractiveness, the uglier her friends are, the more attractive it makes her (even if she does this subconsciously). I think that would make her even more intelligent (if a bit conniving) in that she's exploiting whatever assets she has to make herself more desirable.[/QUOTE]
I've found that the best girls, for me, are the one who don't go out, subconciously looking for a primal mating session.

For me, and this isn't for everyone (which is key), I have to be sexually attracted to a girl - and, most importantly - have some type of bond with her... and the best word used for that bond is "friendship".

I know that in some walks of life, and in regards / directed-towards most shitty human beings, it's not good to mix sex with a friendship -- but some people can't be defied by set conventions. It's as simple as that. Sure; many can, but some can't.

You could find a girl like that in the stereotypical social settings -- maybe -- but, probably not. Hell, I won't be there, in that social setting, anyway.

If I don't have a friendship with a girl I'm seeing, it's shallow; not a relationship, for me, by any means.

I think this may be why I only have had one serious girlfriend.

I find it hard to have a relationship with a girl and things not get a little sexual, be it just touchig, to kissing or sex. Maybe I just have never met a girl "cool" enough that we can just hang out. It's hard to find a girl that is interested in computers and games and yet be hot at the same time. SO most the times if we hang out it gets rather boring and eventually things happen.

bread's done
Back