Killzone 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='NamPaehc']Who the heck is that directed at? Someone in this thread or... I don't know someone elsewhere across the internet? Because really your posts have little to do with what is being discussed within this thread. Crazy how "fanboy and Anti-fanboy" spills into everything.

I just find it funny you are countering fanboyism, when there doesn't really seem to be much here, and thus creating the usual pile of garbage bickering that is sure to follow.[/quote]

What? All I said was that I don't understand the hype for this game when the track record for this series has been less than stellar. If it's great then I'll play it but right now I just don't see any indication that the game wil be fun.

killzone2.jpg

Picture looks good at it's natural resolution.
Hopefully we get some higher res pics soon.

For this new generation of games it is really hard to tell if a game looks good or not from a single screen shot. We need to see a full HD movie of the game in action to determine if it really looks good or not.

If sony wants us to believe killzone2 , will meet the e3 CG trailer, they must show open world gameplay videos,and videos of the player characters , zooming out during gaming videos, I doubt we will see that........

[quote name='InuFaye']For this new generation of games it is really hard to tell if a game looks good or not from a single screen shot. We need to see a full HD movie of the game in action to determine if it really looks good or not.[/QUOTE]

yep, and the video is really the most important part. the game could surpass the trailer in looks, but if the framerate sucks, then count me out. and in Killzone 1, the framerate does suck despite it looking great, which lead to me selling it about an hour after I started playing it.

edit: another thing-- the recently released Lair screenshot is 10000000x better.

[quote name='USA Today']Killzone 2

Release: 2008

Game systems: PlayStation 3; rated Mature for 17 and older

Description: The video game media salivated over the Hollywood-blockbuster-like video clip of this game at the 2005 E3, and Sony has been mum about details. Now it's hoping this futuristic first-person shooter will propel sales of PlayStation 3.

The action takes you and your squad of commanders to the planet Helghan to defeat the mutated human Helghast race, but it's not just straight-ahead combat.

"The Helghast are able to harness the raw power of the weather against you," Sony's Ron Eagle says. "It makes for some unique game play."

Designed to show off the PlayStation 3's capabilities, the game "will be a hardware mover," he says.

Killzone 2 also will be playable online on the PlayStation Network. [/QUOTE]

The weather thing sounds cool.

A word from the DEV about the shot.

Can you coment on what sort of build this is..like pre-alpha or beta?

Will there be opportunities for improvements for things like self-shadowing and shadow aliasing etc...?

1. Pre-pre alpha.
2. Please wait to see more content before judging it.

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games

More DEV info:

It was taken the moment one bullet hit the wall just next to him.

Yes that room is pretty dark to begin with. And the light source is from the muzzle-flash. It looks a lot better in movement. As for the rest, no comment at this stage.

I personally think even if the game looks worse than this, it'll look great in motion. Gorilla has some great animations in all their stuff, so I think this will be great to watch.

I just want to say, that any hype that has been out there has been on the part of fans. Sony has BARELY mentioned this game since the trailer was shown. I can think of maybe two times, both of which are fairly recent.

I know people will do it, but Sony doesn't really deserve the blame if the game doesn't meant their expectations- the gamers do.

I can't wait for this game either. I found the story to be much more engaging then the halo series. I enjoyed the environments more and it really felt like a futuristic warzone. Where as Halo felt very colorful and just not gritty enough. Thats the reason I prefer it to the halo series.
You also can't bunny hop in real life and the inability to jump in killzone really sucked at first but I think made it a more realistic shooter.

Halo was built for multiplayer I think, Killzone was more for the single player experience.
I dont think Guerilla will disapoint with Killzone 2, however the people who have already made their minds up about it will probably not be swayed no matter how good it looks or plays. They will still find something wrong with it or insist that H3 is better.

In a way I think the main competition will be with resistance, since it's a somewhat similar game and on the same system. People will judge it against that since it was a launch game. If it doesnt look or play as nice as Resistance then I think it will be considered a failure.

Fanboys will be fanboys, but I just hope that it sells well enough to make another sequal a reality in the future. Some people may not have liked the first one and compared it to halo, but it doesn't mean it was a failure since so many others enjoyed it for what it was. Imo it was, and still is, the best fps on ps2.
Fable didn't live up to the hype as well but that was still an incredible game!

[quote name='NamPaehc']I just want to say, that any hype that has been out there has been on the part of fans. Sony has BARELY mentioned this game since the trailer was shown. I can think of maybe two times, both of which are fairly recent.

I know people will do it, but Sony doesn't really deserve the blame if the game doesn't meant their expectations- the gamers do.[/QUOTE]
That's not entirely fair. Sony is the one who put out the rendered trailer that has brewed all the hype. Fans have only responded to that trailer since that's all they have. For a long time Sony wouldn't even acknowledge it was rendered! So yeah, they deserve a lion's share of the blame. Now, fans do deserve blame too for thinking this game would be exceptional based off a minute trailer alone, which we have known was rendered for years now. But Sony doesn't deserve a pass on this, and I'm one of the first to say Sony doesn't deserve a lot of the grief they get.

Looks fine to me.

I loved the first Killzone. Probably one of the first games I played online regularly. The Devs were fantastic at fixing problems online and listening to gamers feedback.

As for the single player...it had a decent story at the very least which I enjoyed. I dont see why people want the game to fail...but whatever.

[quote name='elwood731']That's not entirely fair. Sony is the one who put out the rendered trailer that has brewed all the hype. Fans have only responded to that trailer since that's all they have. For a long time Sony wouldn't even acknowledge it was rendered! So yeah, they deserve a lion's share of the blame. Now, fans do deserve blame too for thinking this game would be exceptional based off a minute trailer alone, which we have known was rendered for years now. But Sony doesn't deserve a pass on this, and I'm one of the first to say Sony doesn't deserve a lot of the grief they get.[/quote]

Hype to me is going out and saying-"It is the next best thing because you can do thisandthisandthisandthisANDTHIS!!!!" "It'll blow every game ever invented out the door!" OR "Those guys... their game sucks but ours, it'll have 100+ more levels... and tons more blood spit by radioactive aliens!"

They didn't do that. If we went back in time and put the comments they made recently at the end of the video (was something like "That was a video showing what we are aiming for. We are close but not quite there") then didn't say anything more until now... I think we'd be in the same spot we are now don't you?

[quote name='elwood731']That's not entirely fair. Sony is the one who put out the rendered trailer that has brewed all the hype. Fans have only responded to that trailer since that's all they have. For a long time Sony wouldn't even acknowledge it was rendered! So yeah, they deserve a lion's share of the blame. Now, fans do deserve blame too for thinking this game would be exceptional based off a minute trailer alone, which we have known was rendered for years now. But Sony doesn't deserve a pass on this, and I'm one of the first to say Sony doesn't deserve a lot of the grief they get.[/quote]

It's too bad that people will equate Guerilla with Sony. Guerilla never said it was in game, they never said it was their stuff, and now they will get all the blame by way of association with Sony for it.
Yes I know Sony bought them a few years back, but they have been toiling away at making the game while Sony went out and (ultimately) hurt their rep with that "trailer".

If there was NO hype/trailer for this game, or for the first, and they just popped out with it, I seriously bet it would have been received much better. Hype brought it down.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']when is tonights event anyway?[/quote]

I think 9:00pst.

But what I WANT to know is if it will be covered in realtime... (not a pun)

I hope we dont hear about it tomorrow...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I think 9:00pst.

But what I WANT to know is if it will be covered in realtime... (not a pun)

I hope we dont hear about it tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

eastern time is...?

what, like a half hour after microsofts thing starts???

What event is it?

I know Microsoft is at 8:30PM Today, then "KillZone2 press invite" event 9:30 - 12 AM for Press sites.
Nintendo is 9:00 AM Tomrrow,
And Sony is 11:30 AM, all Pacific.

Edited in KZ2 time.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hype to me is going out and saying-"It is the next best thing because you can do thisandthisandthisandthisANDTHIS!!!!" "It'll blow every game ever invented out the door!" OR "Those guys... their game sucks but ours, it'll have 100+ more levels... and tons more blood spit by radioactive aliens!"

They didn't do that. If we went back in time and put the comments they made recently at the end of the video (was something like "That was a video showing what we are aiming for. We are close but not quite there") then didn't say anything more until now... I think we'd be in the same spot we are now don't you?[/QUOTE]
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but hype is not limited to words. A large part of the hype for the iPhone was based on the video and pictures alone. So yes, they did manufacture hype themselves with that trailer. No, it was not all fans creating it. I'm not really sure why you think hype simply comes from comments and not images, too.

hype - an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

So yeah, they were trying to drive up publicity for the PS3 at E3 and showed a fake trailer to create hype. They wouldn't even admit it was fake for a long time. That's hype. Even saying it was a target render wouldn't absolve them, as we all recall the Madden footage shown for the XBOX 360, also used to generate hype even though the final game was not quite as astonishing.

[quote name='dallow']The weather thing sounds cool.[/quote]
Actually, this is something that could really re-invent this license. Think about what "time control" did for the Prince of Persia series. If you could control weather, you could blast rain into an area then blast freazing cold right after to make it hard for the enemies to stay afoot. Or you could blast rain and then unleash lightning to electrify everything wet. It's very well possible that this isn't the gameplay intent, but if it was that would SO kick ass and probably be a system seller IMO.

[quote name='dallow']This is true.
It's just that Killzone E3 render really messed with people.

They must deliver something good this time.[/QUOTE]

That and Killzone was mediocre. Not to mention that the troops are a complete rip-off of Jin-Roh.

I like it being late seeing as on average I stay up till 3am during the summer >_<

also, I highly highly doubt it, but if sony wanted to really pull out the big guns they need to put a trailer of killzone AND a demo of it on the PS Store... now that would blow most people away IMHO.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I like it being late seeing as on average I stay up till 3am during the summer >_<

also, I highly highly doubt it, but if sony wanted to really pull out the big guns they need to put a trailer of killzone AND a demo of it on the PS Store... now that would blow most people away IMHO.[/QUOTE]

They might give a demo during E3... the game should be almost ready..

I just read on digg that the photo is from the game but if you lighten up the pic, you see that the enemy is just a poster on a wall.

[quote name='kennistond']I just read on digg that the photo is from the game but if you lighten up the pic, you see that the enemy is just a poster on a wall.[/quote]

It looks more like a mirror than a portrait/poster.

[quote name='postaboy']I read somewhere that sony put 20 million budget on this game?????? Isn't that a lot? it has to be good[/quote]

The budget has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

[quote name='javeryh']Well I think the last 2 Matrix movies were budgeted at $150M each and we all know how that turned out... ;)[/QUOTE]

now name a game with a 10-20 million budget that turned out bad..

Still not killing my need for Halo 3 :razz:

Graphics look tight, but please let them fix the gameplay. Even with awesome grpahics, Killzone 1 played more like a "meh" rental than anything I would actually want.

still the franchise universe always holds more appeal to me than Halo. then again, I really don't want to bring Halo debate in here... please nobody start that.

Am I really the only one that thinks the picture looks cool?

Yea there are low res textures, but either thats:
A.) Because its super early and they havent implemented the new textures.
B.) Because everything else is SUPER insane (physics and lighting and animations).

Just got to see it in motion. I think its going to look GREAT. But I know im going to have to be crucified for liking it cause everyone will say, "OMG THESE GRAPHICS ARE SO HORRIBLE".

[quote name='javeryh']Well, the other difference is that the previous 2 Halo games were very well received and the previous 2 Killzone games weren't. I haven't seen any evidence that this trend will change.[/quote]
:whistle2:s An 80% sure seems like a very well-received score for Liberation.

Um, I really liked Halo, and I suspect I'll like Killzone 2. One problem I see was that this is a piss poor shot to have leaked.

There's potential, and the Helghan looks nice, but because the lighting is washed out and the world geometry behind him is pretty simple, it makes me think this shot wasn't prepared ahead of time.

The lack of system memory is showing its ugly head with those textures if those are final. But considering it's supposed to be a dark room with blasted lighting, I suspect this room just got the basic texture treatment for now.

edit: This was confirmed real, however it looks like it's actually a small screenshot that was upscaled in photoshop or similar, which is why it's grainy.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']So, wheres it at?

Isnt it now?

We gonna see shit?[/quote]

-West Coast.

-Yes. Showing it to closed pressed at 9:30 - 12 AM Pacific

-Right away, no. The event is "eyes only", no cameras. Look for blog updates for written details, then hopefully the company will give them press images to share too.

bread's done
Back