Kmart.com - PS3 60GB - $499

[quote name='beowulf77']My wife bought me the 60 AND 80 at Christmas and let me keep whichever one I wanted.

I only have 4-5 PS2 games anymore anyway so I kept the 80GB. Plus the 80 was part of the wal-mart deal with free Motostorm (in box as usual) + free Heavenly Sword... heck yeah

so i guess my point is BC = no concern for me... and I wanted the extra slots on the 80.[/QUOTE]

I guess it varies on your PS2 preference, I have a huge backlog of 400+ PS2 games and 100+ PS1 games, so naturally I chose the 60GB PS3, although, if I didn't have a huge backlog, I would've probably bought the 80GB PS3 model. But nice of your wife to buy both, should've kept one as a backup, now that both of them will become rarer to find.

[quote name='supercag34']...lots of good information...

Nate[/quote]

:applause: Well put.

[quote name='Unickuta']I saved $100 and got mine at gamefunk, but if you want it new then I guess this is the way to go.[/quote]

Gamefunk sound pretty gross. :booty:

[quote name='NolbertoS'] I have a huge backlog of 400+ PS2 games and 100+ PS1 games, [/quote]

Wow that's the biggest backlog I have heard of. Are you going to be able to get through it?

[quote name='prence']Anyone read this?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26176800&sid=6185126&action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;4[/quote]

i see your rumor and raise you one

Before, i explain what is going on. I will give you my source so there is no more speculation on this topic. I work for Best Buy In Buffalo, NY & I am a supervisor for the gaming department and i have read ALOT of topics on what is going on with Sony and the question "Will there be a $299 PS3" & "The 80GB is being discontinued!"

Since getting to work i was able to get into the system and find out the SKU situation and also we have TWO Sony rep's here. After contacting several people including my playstation rep, the support crew for RLS and playstation, as well as the front offices of SCEA and SCEI I can say with 100% confidence that this is incorrect

Recently in the Employee News for Media there was a notice stating "Sony is phasing out the 80GB console, so the 40GB will be the main PS3 console going forward for now." What is happening is they are removing Motorstorm from the 80GB unit and Spiderman 3 from the 40GB unit. SCEA would neither confirm nor deny the rumors of replacing the game and movie with different titles. What they did admit to was underestimating the demand for the 80GB unit, especially after the 40GB unit was released. This is the reason why almost nobody has any 80GB units in stock. The ETA given me for replenishment of the 80GB unit in its new box was sometime from the end of January to mid March. It was in our RSS System for $449.99 In my opinion it will probably be later rather than sooner as Sony probably wants to sell throught the stock pile of 40GB units (my store alone has over 60 of them) before they put out the new 80GB unit. The removal of Spiderman 3 from the box is the reason the 40GB has gone @risk.

Also! Concerning the White PS3..

It will be released packaged with Metal Gear Solid & A DS3 For $499. It will be a 40GB Model, Hence the 40GB Being the future of Sony. The reason why Sony made it possible to use External HD's. So by summer there will be THREE models to choose from:

PS3 40GB For $399
White PS3 40GB(BC) W/ Metal Gear Solid+DS3 For $499
PS3 80GB(BC)+DS3 For $449.99

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2482902

Hm, so the rumor of removing the 80 gigs from shelves is just so they can replace it with an 80 gig system but with a different game or movie? That sounds absurd but stranger things have happened.

So i am assuming that if that does happen. the "BC" on the White 40gb will be emulation? I find it hard to believe they will keep the price that high without the EE.

[quote name='graf1k']Yeah, what the fuck is that about? It's like Sony is trying to keep up with Microsoft in the "let's release 1000 SKUs of the same console" race.

Lets see:

Microsoft: Core, Arcade, Premium, Halo 3 Edition, Elite
Sony: 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB

Getting there Sony.....[/quote]

Best Buy and Sony are both silly or perhaps, the $499 80GB was not a big seller, in the wake of thousands of Americans at the verge of losing their homes, maybe the $499 didn't make sense? Maybe to stay competitive with other console prices, the $399 was a smarter buy at the hands of most average Joe or Jane the soccer mom buyer.

In any case, Best Buy is the one choosing to omit the console from their stores, If the other big stores follow suite then we may have some sort of strategy from Sony themselves.

At least with the 360, a core or arcade versions have the potential of becoming like its more "endowed" siblings, whereas the 40GB Playstation 3 will never be more than it is.

IN ANOTHER NOTE:

As for BC, this was a hot issue for all 3 companies when they were launching the next generation platforms. All three touted on "full backwards compatiblity", which was most likely to ease the EA's of the bunch with their 100+ games in the current generation gaming system. With MS being the first to bow out and claim that they are not 100% backwards compatible. Of course shortly after learning this Sony touted their next gen system not be one better than the 360 in the realm of BC. They did this at the cost to them of over $400 net loss for every console sold.

Using newer processes in manufacturing allowed them to pack the same number of transistors in a smaller package which streamlines production, along with the removable of the old Emotion Engine has cut their costs in half, enabling them to break even per console.

So I guess the true winner of BC is the Wii. BC is important to many of us who still enjoy PS2 games and is quite disappointed with the choices presented to us with the current PS3 library. I bought the PS3 for the "open" architecture in the sense that I may remove the hard drive and easily, without risk or violation of the warranty replace the OEM hard drive. So the 20GB offered with the 80GB console with it's lack of features did not make sense fiscally. Especially since I can always buy a 120GB or larger SATA 2.5" drive for relatively low prices. But I can not install the emotion chip in the 80GB PS3. I also like the PS3's ability to use USB external drives for Multimedia content, freeing the 60GB drive for game data. Region-Free gaming, Blu-ray player and Backwards compatibility with my current PS2/PS1 library makes the PS3 a sensible addition to my console collection.

So with all that said, ease on the comments regarding our decisions in which we buy certain things, because to many of us, this makes a lot of sense. Even if it does not to you. The assumption that we must be morons because we want the smaller hard drive for only the sake of BC is really prejudicial, you may find that some of us who chose the 60GB are actually pretty smart. LOL.

Anybody else out there wish they could afford a second 60 GB PS3 for backup? Someday when my 60GB system bites it I will be screwed and they may not want to service it (or at great cost).

White PS3 40GB(BC) W/ Metal Gear Solid+DS3 For $499
Not sure I buy the BC in the white 40GB given the FCC filing info that included a copy of the manual that stated NO PS2 game compatability (yeah, I looked myself b/c I had to know). So, unless the manual was incorrect and just a place-holder copy of the current US 40GB model (not sure how likely that is) I'm thinking this is at least a little debunked.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Anybody else out there wish they could afford a second 60 GB PS3 for backup? Someday when my 60GB system bites it I will be screwed and they may not want to service it (or at great cost).[/quote]

I've been having this thought too. I'm probably in the minority, but I wish Sony would come out with a high end unit with the following features:

1. The starting point would be the 60 Gig model
2. Full BC including the ability to play all region games for PS1/PS2
3. 320 Gig HD
4. Dual HDMI ports
5. HDMI cable packed in
6. PS1/PS2 Memory card slot built in (or adapter included)
7. Two DS3 controllers packed in
8. Remote Controll packed in
9. Blue Tooth Headset packed in
10. PS3 Eye packed in

They could throw in a game and blu-ray movie but I'd be fine if they didn't. If they could do this for $800-$900, I would buy it. I understand that most of the market is on the cheap end, but it would be nice to have something for the other end.

i wanted a 80g for bc, more usb and card slots, is there somewhere that compares 20,40,60 and 80g models? i cant find a 80g local i think i might find a 60 at kmart though

ps3faqjf8.jpg

I hope those rumors of a $450 80GB model are true. That would be pretty great. I usually hate racing games, so Motorstorm doesn't do much for me (now if they threw in Resistance and Uncharted or something the $500 price would be great...)

Also fantastic would be if Sony tries for 100% backwards compatibility with EVERY model. If they're working on that now, and plan on rolling it out this fall or something.

[quote name='andyjharper']Because PS2 games look like garbage on an HDTV. With the upscaling they look wonderful. I bought one at Kmart three weeks ago. No one shops at Kmart and that is why they have 'em I assume.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='nermal15']There is nothing wrong with a PS2 on an HDTV, I play my PS2 on my HDTV using component cables and it looks beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Yep. It's entirely dependent on your TV. If you want to play SD content, which almost any gamer will, you want a TV with a good scaler/deinterlacer. What brand is yours nermal15? I've got a fairly recent Sony (I think it's two generations out of date now), and SD content looks flawless, as long as I've got it hooked up through S-Video or component. I'm not sure what other brands include good scalers, as I've heard Samsung and Pioneer don't.

[quote name='supercag34']...I consider video games to be high art. I really do. My collections contains treasures, things that not everyone has or appreciates. If all you care about is a better looking Madden or the next Halo, then you don't care about BC. If you want your children to be able to play Katamari Damacy, or DDR Disney (PS1) you'll want it available on a console you can get parts and service for.[/quote]

[Thumbs up] I agree 100%. Games are art. Having access to your old games, and having your children be able to play them too isn't going to be important to every type of person, but it's just as legitimate as wanting to maintain access to a great book or a great movie.

To date, I'm really disappointed with how casually the industry has treated backwards compatibility. Until this with the Playstation 3, Sony was the only company that really had been taking it seriously. Nintendo's had it for one system back in a few systems, but they drop it fast, and in most cases they're really getting backwards compatibility for almost "Free" since their new system uses the same hardware as their old one, at least to a point (Gameboy Color, Wii, DS). I'm still pissed off about losing Gameboy support on the DS-geez, they could actually do an emulator for that if they wanted to (they could even SELL it if they wanted to).

Go ahead, just try to play Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. You'll need an original Xbox in working condition. I just bought a brand new XBOX yesterday. I lament that the 360's BC is incomplete, and I resent Sony's strategy with BC on the PS3. I got a 60 GB, but the attitude towards BC means Indigo Prophecy may never be fixed. (It still doesn't work on the 60GB).

That stinks. I haven't played Indigo Prophecy yet (beyond the demo), but I've been looking forward to it, and suspect it's one I'd want to keep.

Sony took the chips out to force you to buy PS3 games so they can make some profit. The chips cost nothing. I heard an analyst put the savings at under $10 for BOTH chips. But me scaring up an old copy of ICO and enjoying it with my new DualShock 3 with rumble (be here next month) on my PS3 in high def is not going to make Sony any royalties. Same with Gran Turismo 4.

The problem of having on old console is that it's an old console. Eventually you can't get parts or controllers for them.

Yup. I'm tired of how hearing how expensive the PS2-on-a-chip supposedly is. It's < 100 million transistors, and at this point shouldn't be too terrible built on a 65nm process.

Because of this mess, I guess I'm going to buy a few spare Playstation 2s at some point (probably when they hit $100). I don't see much of an alternative :(

Sony has no plans of rolling out any more systems with backwards compatibility. Currently a rumor, the 80GB is to be phased out as it has been done to the 20GB and the 60GB. Below are links to the rumor.

1UP

Another article from 1UP to further increase the chance of this happening

Source where this rumor started

I can see Sony actually going through with this as from a business standpoint, it makes sense. This article could mean good things for consumers in terms of pricing and Sony in terms of profits.

All in all, my aim is to get a 60GB. Yes, I own a PS2 but I like the comfort of knowing that if it dies, my PS3 will play all my games just fine.

If 37 people hadn't just gotten fired where I work, I'd be all over, under and up in this. I'm wincing at the idea of waiting and saving more money before taking advantage of offers like GF's, but it has to be done.

The 60GB is only going to get rarer and more expensive; this seems like one of the best times to buy. If you or I don't, vultures on ebay surely will.

80GB is no longer on Best Buy's website. So it is discontinued.

Rumor of price drop? Look at Speedy's ads in this forum. Theres no price drop in the sales that he posts from Circuit City, Best Buy or Target.

[quote name='iazybandit']80GB is no longer on Best Buy's website. So it is discontinued.[/quote]

In its current form only, if you go back a page i posted a follup rumor that says Bestbuy is simply making room for new Skus', which in a way makes perfect sense unless people here think they'd keep the same movie/game bundle and never integrate the DS3s into a PS3 package. Changing any of this usually requires a new sku so that there is limited confusion for resellers and their stock systems. So if you believe that, the 80gb PS3 isnt discontinued, the sku is.

I briefly had a 60gb from warehouse deals, but I had to return it due to a constant whining noise it made.

Now that I have a 40gb, I'm happy. For people concerned about heat and noise, the 40gb is the way to go. The thing is whisper quiet (especially compared to the xbox 360) most of the time.

But if you must have backwards compatibility, then definitely pick up a 60 while you can.

[quote name='qwerty1']In its current form only, if you go back a page i posted a follup rumor that says Bestbuy is simply making room for new Skus', which in a way makes perfect sense unless people here think they'd keep the same movie/game bundle and never integrate the DS3s into a PS3 package. Changing any of this usually requires a new sku so that there is limited confusion for resellers and their stock systems. So if you believe that, the 80gb PS3 isnt discontinued, the sku is.[/quote]

Indeed.

If you really want a 60gb, you can get a new one for 449.99 at gamerush/blockbuster if you have one near.

I got it 2 weeks ago, but I dont know if they are still at that price. It mght be rare, but just call around the stores and ask if they have any.

[quote name='blueboy']I briefly had a 60gb from warehouse deals, but I had to return it due to a constant whining noise it made.

Now that I have a 40gb, I'm happy. For people concerned about heat and noise, the 40gb is the way to go. The thing is whisper quiet (especially compared to the xbox 360) most of the time.

But if you must have backwards compatibility, then definitely pick up a 60 while you can.[/quote]

Well my PS3 doesnt make weird noises and the heat thing was ok. My 60gb ps3 only made noise when a game start, but it last only 2-3 second, its sounds like a power up noise with bass. and it would be quiet for the rest of the time playing.

I haven't haerd anything about different models having less heat yet, but I'll take your word for it since I'm too lazy to check myself.

[quote name='Supernova']I'll sell my sealed 60gb PS3 for $530! PM ME! LOL![/QUOTE]
dude.....is that, bob sapp on your sig?

[quote name='dsella']Gimped? Sorry that most people buy a PLAYSTATION 3 to play PLAYSTATION 3 games and not PLAYSTATION 2.[/quote]

What? I'm not convinced.

Most of the people I know with a PS3 use it to play PS2 games. PS3 games are mostly shallow eye-candy. Lumines Plus in HD on a 10 ft screen is jaw dropping.

PS2 doesn't upscale, and PS2 games are still vastly superior in gameplay.

Bought a 60 GB version a few months ago and about 95% of my game time has been on PS2 games. :)

[quote name='xmikexisxkoolx']If you really want a 60gb, you can get a new one for 449.99 at gamerush/blockbuster if you have one near.

I got it 2 weeks ago, but I dont know if they are still at that price. It mght be rare, but just call around the stores and ask if they have any.[/quote]
No gamerush in the west coast! :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

My BBV has the 80GB bundle containing remote, a BBV BR rental card, etc. No 60GB at all :cry:

[quote name='eau']No gamerush in the west coast! :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

I live in California, and I seen like 6 Gamerush that are part of Bloackbuster. They are like hidden within it.

No gamerush in Oregon. There was one in Wilsonville (hometown of Hollywood Video) but closed down last year.

bread's done
Back