L.A. Noire w/ $15 Gift Card at Best Buy + 500 Bonus Points (YMMV $48.99 PM see OP)

_Ph03n1x_

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Best Buy has PMed TRU's offer of a $15 gift card with purchase of L.A. Noire

Edit: You also get 500 RZ Points if you pre-order which amounts to another $10 certificate. Thanks Defendthestar31 for the reminder!

Edit 2: [quote name='flizmo007']The BB Gaming App for the iPhone shows the game on sale for $48.99. Once you click to purchase, it takes you to the site where it shows $59.99. I know this may not help but it does at least reference their $48.99 price.[/QUOTE] You can try to use this to get a PM in store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered online as well but still haven't seen anyone mention whether or not they know about how the midnight release typically works for those that did in-store pickup. Wondering if I am going to have problems...

[quote name='plutoknight']I'm not sure if I trust the Best Buy Gift card deals anymore. I have still yet to receive my one for Portal 2, despite it being shipped.[/QUOTE]

I had an issue with one I had with a "buy so many of X games and get...." one. The issue I found out about was that when I ordered the items online I had to add a gift card for that amount to the cart as well. Then the amount of the gift card would be deducted from the cart. If you had an issue, call customer support. They straightened it out for me within a few days.

Was going to go with amazon, but this deal is too good to pass up! Time to take a break from amazon and give best buy some love, lol. Very excited about the game Tuesday!

Used my BB gift card from trading in those bad $25 Trade in credit games (I'm looking at you Fight: Lights Out).

Thanks OP!

[quote name='superman37876']Was going to go with amazon, but this deal is too good to pass up! Time to take a break from amazon and give best buy some love, lol. Very excited about the game Tuesday![/QUOTE]

Can you explain how this is that much better of a deal then Amazon?

They are also offering a $15 gift card.

The only downside is that I don't see release date delivery.

The tax savings is probably better then the 500 reward points.

Unless I am missing something.

[quote name='Zimmy']Can you explain how this is that much better of a deal then Amazon?

Unless I am missing something.[/QUOTE]

Unless you pay 16.7% tax, the 500 reward points = $10. My sales tax is 7%, so that's $4.20, I end up coming out $5.80 ahead of the Amazon deal. So yes, you are missing something.

[quote name='Zimmy']Can you explain how this is that much better of a deal then Amazon?

Unless I am missing something.[/QUOTE]
$38.59 is my total cost with Best Buy ($59.99 + 6% tax - $15 - $10) which comes out to $6.41 cheaper than Amazon. Plus I get the game Tuesday morning instead of late in the day when UPS finally shows up. Plus it's 60 points added to my RZ Gamers club, and for every 150 points it's another $10 back. If I factor in those 60 points it comes out to $4 worth in RZ money, and if I add that on to my initial savings it's $10 cheaper than buying from Amazon.

Deals are pretty even for me

BB: $60-25 (pts +GC) + $4.20 tax + 4.20 tax when I use the GCs on next game=$43.40
Amazon: $60-$15=$45

[quote name='MicroDr']Deals are pretty even for me

BB: $60-25 (pts +GC) + $4.20 tax + 4.20 tax when I use the GCs on next game=$43.40
Amazon: $60-$15=$45[/QUOTE]

Thats's not exactly accurate. When you use a giftcard, the giftcard amount comes off before tax is charged. So if you have a $10 item, and a $5 gift card, you are only charged tax on $5, not the full $10.

[quote name='Zimmy']If Amazon had release date delivery, I would go with them, so it looks like BB for me.[/QUOTE]

Amazon does have release date delivery. It was .99 for the privilege. :D

damn you guys and all this fucked up math! BB is the better deal. You have it in your hands that day, don't risk the case being damaged, and get better pre-order bonuses..

This deal has totally made my weekend, thanks again OP!

[quote name='digitalturtle']Amazon does have release date delivery. It was .99 for the privilege. :D[/QUOTE]

Nope.
I just put it in my cart and nowhere does it say Release Date Shipping.

I'm a Prime member and know what to look for.

It just gives the normal shipping options.

With Portal 2, it was in big bold letters, Want it the day it comes out?!?!?

They may have had it before, but its not on there now.

[quote name='wolfgang2399']Thats's not exactly accurate. When you use a giftcard, the giftcard amount comes off before tax is charged. So if you have a $10 item, and a $5 gift card, you are only charged tax on $5, not the full $10.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how it is in other states but that is not the case at all here. There is no tax on Gift Cards when you purchase them but items purchased with them are certainly taxable.

The government has to get their tax at some time and its either with the gift card purchase or the item purchase. I have never heard of a state do it with the GC purchase. The only close exception I can think of is when you buy a prepackaged gift card, something like the old MS Point packages in the clamshell casing. The reason for that is because the item is treated as goods rather than a GC.

That being said the BB deal probably is a bit better but the Amazon deal is certainly much less hassle. Not sure which way to go or just wait for this game's price to tank 1-2 months after release.

[quote name='Zimmy']Nope.
I just put it in my cart and nowhere does it say Release Date Shipping.

I'm a Prime member and know what to look for.

It just gives the normal shipping options.

With Portal 2, it was in big bold letters, Want it the day it comes out?!?!?

They may have had it before, but its not on there now.[/QUOTE]

I too am a Prime member; while I can't speak for it now, when I pre-ordered LA Noire, it automatically gave me free Release Date Delivery.

On this whole deal, I'm torn. Best Buy's deal is better, but there are more hoops to go through, there's tax, and you either have to pay 3 bucks as well for shipping, or go in-store.

[quote name='wolfgang2399']Thats's not exactly accurate. When you use a giftcard, the giftcard amount comes off before tax is charged. So if you have a $10 item, and a $5 gift card, you are only charged tax on $5, not the full $10.[/QUOTE]

Fine, whatever. I knew someone would likely bash my math. Seriously though, subtract the couple bucks I was off and the fact remains that the deals are not that different.

That's not true at all. All GC's are deducted post-tax. RZ certs are deducted pre-tax though.

[quote name='SteveGo']I already got a shipping notice for my $15 gift card, maybe it will be here in time to use towards the game! :)[/QUOTE]

Check your bank account.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Check your bank account.[/QUOTE]

For what exactly? I did in-store pick up and you can pay however you like when you pick the game up. There may be a pending charge on my account, but when I pick up the game I can choose my method of payment...

Anybody know Best Buy's policy when it comes to gift card activation? I'm guessing they probably won't activate right after purchase but it'd be nice if I didn't have to wait another few days before using it on something else.

The only issue I have is what version to get. 360 or PS3.
From what I know the 360 one has 3 discs while the PS3 is only one.

Have they said any differences between the 2 at all? Or are they pretty much the same thing (besides swapping discs twice).

[quote name='chuckywang']That's not true at all. All GC's are deducted post-tax. RZ certs are deducted pre-tax though.[/QUOTE]

I've already spent my $15 GC from LA Noire. I bought a cd that was $15.99. I paid tax on .99 and not on $15.99.

EDIT: My GC was used as a Promo code. That might be why I only paid tax on .99 instead of 15.99.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']The only issue I have is what version to get. 360 or PS3.
From what I know the 360 one has 3 discs while the PS3 is only one.

Have they said any differences between the 2 at all? Or are they pretty much the same thing (besides swapping discs twice).[/QUOTE]

PS3 has an extra mission included.

Cool, what are the odds that I actually get the 500 bonus points if I preorder online and do in store pickup? I might just say fuck it and buy in store so I can get 15 on the spot

I just preordered in store. However, I'm afraid they may have messed up when entering my RZ #. The computer wasn't working so she had to enter it manually. The number on my receipt matches my RZ number online except on the receipt there is a 0 in front of the numbers and there is no 0 when I look at my RZ # online. Is this going to be a problem?

I think I'm just going to do it online and have it shipped to me.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Cool, what are the odds that I actually get the 500 bonus points if I preorder online and do in store pickup? I might just say fuck it and buy in store so I can get 15 on the spot[/QUOTE]

Don't see why you wouldn't get the 500 bonus points. I'm kinda leaning towards pre-ordering and picking up at midnight (despite probably not getting an email stating its ready for pickup if I'm gonna wait in line before midnight) or doing the Kmart deal.

From the offer details
Here's your chance to grab an easy 500 bonus points – good for a $10 discount certificate – by buying L.A. Noire before 5/16/11. Simply:

Pre-order the game for PS3 or Xbox 360 in store or online, anytime between now and 5/16/11.
For in-store pre-orders, pick up and purchase the game from 5/17/11–5/21/11.

Looking for more titles? See all the Gamers Club offers now.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']If you pre-order at GameStop[/QUOTE]

PS3 has extra content, no matter where you buy it. They even have it on the box in a black label at the top. That being said it probably doesn't matter much as its more than likely frivolous.

[quote name='Bronson-Lee']I too am a Prime member; while I can't speak for it now, when I pre-ordered LA Noire, it automatically gave me free Release Date Delivery.

On this whole deal, I'm torn. Best Buy's deal is better, but there are more hoops to go through, there's tax, and you either have to pay 3 bucks as well for shipping, or go in-store.[/QUOTE]

I also am a prime member and got free release day delivery. I just logged in to look at my order details and it says Release day delivery.

Also, I really am confused why people think this is a better deal. I suppose you get the bonus points if that is important to you, but you pay for tax + shipping (or personal time/gas).

Whatever works though....all i can say is that this game is going to be amazing and I cant wait.

[quote name='pROvIs']PS3 has extra content, no matter where you buy it. They even have it on the box in a black label at the top. That being said it probably doesn't matter much as its more than likely frivolous.[/QUOTE]

Hrm... seems to be an extra mission. "Consul’s Car Traffic.
I tend to try and only get exclusives for PS3, but because of that my PS3 is damn lonely.

In Texas...you get charged taxes on the full price before the gift card. Think about it...if someone buys you a giftcard, they don't pay taxes ($50 gc is $50)....so they don't pay, you don't pay....I doubt any state likes that. Store credit is another thing....they take it out before they tax the final amount. Maybe there is a state that treats gc as store credit but the majority don't.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Hrm... seems to be an extra mission. "Consul’s Car Traffic.
I tend to try and only get exclusives for PS3, but because of that my PS3 is damn lonely.[/QUOTE]

i tend to get most of my single player games on ps3-I tend to think since it has bluray capability the games will look nicer-not sure if thats true, but that excuse gives my xbox a chance to rest since i do all my multi playing on that.

Had 57 in BB credit....paid 7 out of pocket for LA Noire, 15 dollar gift card, 10 in RZ credit, plus I was only 3 away from another 5 points, so I'm looking at 30 BB credit coming back on a 60 dollar purchase :)

WIN

[quote name='youenvy']i tend to get most of my single player games on ps3-I tend to think since it has bluray capability the games will look nicer-not sure if thats true, but that excuse gives my xbox a chance to rest since i do all my multi playing on that.[/QUOTE]

yeah that's the same thing I think.
Single player only would be OK for PS3 because the X take all the multiplayer games.

500 points (and base points) from Portal 2 still haven't been deposited into my account. will most likely get the 360 version anyway and sell the dlc.

[quote name='youenvy']i tend to get most of my single player games on ps3-I tend to think since it has bluray capability the games will look nicer-not sure if thats true, but that excuse gives my xbox a chance to rest since i do all my multi playing on that.[/QUOTE]

This has been demonstrated time and time again to be false. Multi-plat games look better on the Xbox 360 almost every time.

Im just gonna do a Pre-Order in store. Worst comes to worst and ill just have them PM the site to get the 15$. Maybe ill luck out and they'll PM TRU or something xD.

I want to risk missing the midnight release

bread's done
Back