laptop recommendations

MrFixit66

CAG Newbie
well i've been looking to buy a new laptop for awhile and was wondering if any CAGers had any recommendations. i dont want a mac. im not cool enough for one. looking to spend under $800, needs to have a decent harddrive for videos and needs to be able to edit videos without too much trouble. it also needs to be able to run windows 7 ultimate (i know that shouldnt be too hard to do, but my current laptop lacks the RAM to run windows 7 well). was looking at the toshiba A505-S6967 but also considering a dell inspiron 15 or something like that. i like dells but i think the toshiba has a better battery life. was also thinking about higher end netbooks, but not sure. let me know what you think.

Be very careful with getting cheap laptops, when components fail you can't replace them, IBM stands alone in reliability, that's currently the only laptop I would buy, new or used. That's after seeing laptop after laptop have failures over the years, Toshiba used to be up there but seem to have suffered a drop in reliability. Gateway, Fujitsu, compaq, etc I'd avoid. Dells might or might not be ok, hard to say for sure. Sonys are pretty but I think not quite as durable.
You can currently get a new IBM g series for about $1100 on the ibm site, those are a really good deal, but are new, so you won't be able to find a used one yet.
Ibms get their reliability by not offering a load of extra features, they are solid corporate laptops, made to be used, not gaming things etc.
If you get a used one, this becomes very important, a failed screen costs about $600 to replace, give or take, a failed internal modem/networking etc means a motherboard replacement.

Here's a decent sub-$800 laptop deal:
http://dealspl.us/product/hp-hdx-16t-premium-series-intel-core-2-duo-p7450-2-13ghz-3-mb-l2
4 gb ram, 320 gb hard drive, decent cpu/video card

I'm guessing people are going to say the video card is too weak but if you want something more powerful it's probably going to end up weighing 9+ pounds (although this one still weighs ~7.5). Also I just like HP computers in general although dell and compaq seem to be stepping their quality up a bit recently.

ive owned 2 toshiba laptops.

my first was a 17" "desktop" laptop. it had a lot of power and ran well. but after about 2 years the battery life wasnt nearly as good (it happens) and it would tend to overheat when gaming.

i now have a new toshiba satellite a215-s5837 and havent had any problems since ive had it (a little over a year, maybe a year and a half). its not as powerful as my desktop, but its smaller, lighter, and powerful enough for what i use it for (mostly internet, media, ms office and photoshop etc).

asus g51 from best buy looks like the best gaming laptop for the cheapest price. It not only looks awseome but it has a 1gb gtx260m which honestly for a laptop is great. Cost 999.99

I've got an asus n80nv from February. You can get a lot better from them for the price now, but still, Asus seems to make some really nice (and cheap) laptops.

Dell's Alienware brand just released the first high-end systems with quad core Nehalem...witha good GPU it's in the low $2000s, which actually is an awesome price, but for half that you can get a perfectly kick ass system if need be.

And the 9000 series Nvidia GPUs are just fine as a group. Like I said, I've been using my (lowly) 9650GT since February, and even Fold on it. Though my laptop seems to handle heat really well too.

I'd only go with Nvidia though, as Nvidia actually supports their notebook GPUs with new drivers on most notebooks (Sony's stuff and a handful of others may still be an exception). They go on just like if I had a desktop, which is awesome.

Of course now for what I paid, you can just about get a GTX 260 and Blu Ray (And a slightly faster CPU), which is awesome (3x the graphics hardware!)

My Toshiba has been nothing but trouble since I got it. The motherboard has died several times, the jack on the PC where the power goes likes to randomly not work meaning I can't recharge my battery or even just plug it in an outlet to get power, the battery life sucks and has since I got it, and their Tech Support Line is filled with morons. Stay far far away from Toshiba laptops IMO.

I have a Thinkpad X61 tablet. Love it. I also have an old X31. I'm never going to buy anything else. I have been looking at the X200s which is around $1000.

Dell/Alienware have quite a few. I'm not sure if they're shipping yet or just taking orders, but their one 15" alienware model looks really awesome. Quad core Core-i7, high end Nvidia GPU, LED backlit screen, and Blu Ray, for low $2000s, which is a way better deal than the used to do.

The Lenovo site is oddly down right now but even if it's got the hardware for gaming, it doesn't really matter, right?

Lenovo makes solid laptops, but they don't usually include very good discrete video cards.

From my experience working as a PC tech, Toshiba's are a good choice if you're looking for an inexpensive gaming laptop.

Yeah, Lenovo and IBM before them seem to aim at "business" users basically. Not really what any of us would want.

I've been very happy with my Asus. Well built (they seem to focus on making it work, over "looks"), and they give you a lot of hardware for the money. They've got ones with low end Nvidia GPUs for the price other companies are giving you Intel graphics, and high end Nvidia for the price others are giving you low/mid or even integrated graphics, etc.

Lenovo's just not even on my radar though, 'cause they don't make anything that works for me. Glad that Dell's finally back in the game though!

I could have sword someone posted about Quadros, but I don't see it now. Anyway, you have to be VERY careful with those. It's VERY hard to figure out which Quadro equates to which regular Geforce. They tend to be really low end on the laptops, and the names are confusing. I *think* they still run regular drivers but I'm not sure.

It's okay, I've been convinced to look elsewhere.

The Toshiba ones look very appealing but good lord, this one: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=424965

However, I'm going to keep my eye on the upcoming Qosimo X500 since it has that new Core i7 but I bet it's going to cost an assload of money since the Core i7 is relatively new to laptops: http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/X500

(Ick, the primary HDD is a 64GB SSD. I'd prefer 128GB.)

So what's up with Dell, Alienware, Asus, and...everyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ended up getting the Asus G50vt-X5 from gamestop.com for 750 shipped overnight with tax. Paid it off will all store credit (flips and such from the summer). I have to say this is the best laptop for the price. Intel C2D P7450 2.13 GHZ 4GB Ram Nvidia 9800gs 512mb DDR3 and a 320gb 7200 RPM HDD. It dosent compare to my desktop build of my i7 920 6gb ddr3 4870x2 build but for a laptop its great. Runs most games maxed out at the screen's native res and some maxed out with AA and AF.

stay away from dells. the price is right but there is a reason why. They fucking suck. after a year, you battery will probably crap out. the replacement for that is like 100-150. The battery charger will crap out in about a year which is about 100 on their website. if you look around you may get it for 60. They both have a warranty of about a year and thats exactly how long they last. i also had the hard drive crap out. but this took more than a year so ill give them that. my advice is to just not get a dell. everything else should probably be more stable

I used to love Dell, and it's still a brand I'll consider. Regarding the hard drives though, that's not Dell, every company is going to be pulling from the same pool of hard drives, and sometimes they can go bad (or be damaged, etc.).

I just picked up Aion and want a laptop that can run it well. I'm tempted to get an Alienware (they have a deal for Dell Preferred Account accountholders that would let me get 18 months no interest if you pay it off in full in that timespan), but I'm sure I could get something good from Asus that's cheaper.

Any recommendations from the current crop of what's out there?

[quote name='silks']I just picked up Aion and want a laptop that can run it well. I'm tempted to get an Alienware (they have a deal for Dell Preferred Account accountholders that would let me get 18 months no interest if you pay it off in full in that timespan), but I'm sure I could get something good from Asus that's cheaper.

Any recommendations from the current crop of what's out there?[/QUOTE]
It's 12 months, not 18.

Nah man, check their page. Small print at the bottom of www.alienware.com:

NO INTEREST IF PAID IN FULL WITHIN 18 MONTHS available on new Alienware systems purchased 10/8/2009 – 10/28/2009. Interest accrues during promotional period and will be added if plan balance is not paid by customer's payment due date in May, 2011. If not paid by end of promotional period, account balance and new purchases will be subject to the Standard Rate depending on creditworthiness (14.99% - 29.99% variable APR, as of 7/31/2009, which can increase or decrease).

That said, is Asus still preferred in general?

I love my asus G50vt-x5. The newer one the G51 is on clearence at best buy with the p7350 and GTX 260m and backlit keyboard for 950 i think and the newest one the g60 is coming out which just has a better processor and bigger battery. Honestly for 750 shipped overnight at gamestop.com even cheaper with credit if you have flipped stuf to them i did and i paid it off with credit (g50 with coupon "asus") the 9800 gs with p7450 and 320gb hdd its great so every game ive played on it. (Bioshock, Crysis, Mass effect, ect.) I have a gaming desktop so im not easily impressed (4870x2+i7,6gb ddr 3) but this asus really shocked me how great of a value this laptop is. Alienware's look awesome but I think they are overpriced for what they are. Personally I think the asus look just sweet. Or get it from best buy as well for 738.29 with standard shipping. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...aptop&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218120546654

Best buy also offers no intrest 18 months which could be a better deal for some people. Honestly though Asus are great budget laptop's but i heard when i was shopping for mine that the p7450 was a weak processor and such but honestly some people are just full of it. Ive downloaded, installed transered files played games for hours on end no overheating, no crashes, no slowdown with all graphics set to the highest (except crysis that was high only). The screen's rez is 1366 by 768 so it looks sharp and the 9800 can do the higest setting's to that. To give you an example it can run half life 2 all settings to highest and 8xAA and 16XAF. It can run batman with all settings set to the highest with 2xAA and still smooth as butter. Also I run every game with vsync on since i hate screen tearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrFixit66']well i've been looking to buy a new laptop for awhile and was wondering if any CAGers had any recommendations. i dont want a mac. im not cool enough for one. looking to spend under $800, needs to have a decent harddrive for videos and needs to be able to edit videos without too much trouble. it also needs to be able to run windows 7 ultimate (i know that shouldnt be too hard to do, but my current laptop lacks the RAM to run windows 7 well). was looking at the toshiba A505-S6967 but also considering a dell inspiron 15 or something like that. i like dells but i think the toshiba has a better battery life. was also thinking about higher end netbooks, but not sure. let me know what you think.[/QUOTE]
I Own a toshiba satellite, my parents have a satellite, all my uncles have satellites, and that is what they bought my cousins, except for the oldest who bought a mac but that is beside the point. When i bought my netbook, i bought toshiba, so yes i recommend that you buy toshiba. Toshiba all the way, none of us have had any problems what so ever.

Toshiba's are good but not for gaming. UNless you get the higher end ones that cost way more than 800.

i got the toshiba A505-S6960, one of the last ones at my local best buy. i have to say its fantastic. its upgraded to windows 7 ultimate. i play mostly older games anyways, but it plays dark messiah pretty well and my old dell couldnt play it at all. its a bit of a beast size-wise, but with the huge battery, its worth it.

Does that HP you're talking about have a solid GPU though?

That iBuyPower seems to be using a desktop GPU? It's a bit more expensive than the Dell...and would be more powerful I guess with a desktop CPU, but hotter/louder too (and hopefully cooled okay).

I so want an i7 though :whistle2:/

Would have bitten on that $689 Asus, but alas I got rejected on the signup for the Best Buy credit card (which you need for the 18 months no interest). That's a sign from above saying, "Yes, your credit is that shitty right now, you don't need to extend it any further. Pay off your massive debts you dumbass."

On to the Christmas list it goes. ;)

Unless I'm missing something the cheaper one's probably the better deal. Looks like the mobile Geforce 250's a 96 shader part, so that's pretty awesome (I think there's only two steps above that, 112 and 128 maybe, for mobile parts).

Even the cheapest one (finally!) includes Blu Ray, so that's cool too. Doesn't have an LED backlit screen, which matters to me but not to some people.

Seems like a pretty nice system and price to me. Might want to check the forums on notebookreview.com too to see if anyone's got complaints or whatever.

[quote name='s2k']Toshiba's are good but not for gaming. UNless you get the higher end ones that cost way more than 800.[/QUOTE]

I play wow on mine. but thats about it... So i agree with you.

bread's done
Back