LE Halo 3 Scratched Discs - MS Offers Free Replacement Through 12/31/07

I just picked up my copy at bestbuy and shook about 4 of them before i thought i found one that didn't have a loose disc inside it. I opened it at the register and it was unscratched, good guess on my part. Can't wait to get home and play it now.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Just another story of Microsofts un dying steps to assure quality over quantity...[/QUOTE]

You already said in the "Did you pick up Halo 3 at Midnight" thread that you have zero interest in Halo. Yet you seem very interested in Halo 3 threads, because you have been posting negative comments in all of them.

I just find it odd that someone who couldn't care less about Halo would take the time to run around to all the threads.

Surely your time could be better spent leveling up your JRPG characters.

[quote name='Damian']I picked up my CE from Target this morning and the game disc was scratched. Before I picked it up I was debating how much I cared about the bonus disc so long as it was readable, but it turned out to be pristine. I'm going to try to exchange it at lunch.[/QUOTE]
I had no problem exchanging mine. The guy was cool about it, he let me take the best disc from each set. Unfortunately in this case the bonus disc won't stay on its spindle, but since it's my pristine disc from my original set it's fine for now. I'll have to get these in some slim cases inside the metal case. Right now I have it between the manual pages to protect it.

There's definitely a design flaw with the plastic spindles. They don't hold the disc on very well, or at all in some cases.

[quote name='Damian']
There's definitely a design flaw with the plastic spindles. They don't hold the disc on very well, or at all in some cases.[/QUOTE]

Its too bad they didn't use the case design from Halo 2 CE. If they woould have I would have ordered the H3 CE.

[quote name='game_collector_83']Looks like this may be a problem with the Legendary, too. Fast forward to about 3:09 in this video.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/821/821913p1.html[/QUOTE]
I started watching that and my first thought was "Who the hell thinks flip flops are appropriate attire for work?" It doesn't matter that you work at a game magazine and think you're "hip", it really just looks unprofessional.

[quote name='game_collector_83']Looks like this may be a problem with the Legendary, too. Fast forward to about 3:09 in this video.[/QUOTE]
Oh it's definitely the same problem. That's the Collector's Edition packed inside there. I thought Legendary had an extra disc. Does it come in something else?

[quote name='game_collector_83']Looks like this may be a problem with the Legendary, too. Fast forward to about 3:09 in this video.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/821/821913p1.html[/QUOTE]

No.

The press got Collector Editions stuffed inside the Legendary Edition. The retail Legendary Edition has two normal DVD cases sitting on a tray above the helmet. One DVD is the game, the other 2 disc DVD is the bonus content.

Both DVD's in my Legendary were prestine, the packing was fantastic.

(from Evil Avatar): http://www.flickr.com/photos/14094241@N03/1434878718/

[quote name='KingBroly']Guy in front of me had 4, yes FOUR CE's scratched before he got a game clean. The Essentials disc wasn't though. He was still there when I left.[/quote]

Well, that's what suckers, err, pardon me, "distinguished buyers" get for their additional money spent on a "collector's edition" over a "basic" copy. For the extra $10-20 you get a one of a kind, extra special disc with unique disc "etching".

Maybe the legendary editions will come with specially banged up Master Chief helmets that are all broken and cracked...Bungie can claim they are "war damaged"/"battle scarred".

[quote name='Haggar']No.

The press got Collector Editions stuffed inside the Legendary Edition. The retail Legendary Edition has two normal DVD cases sitting on a tray above the helmet. One DVD is the game, the other 2 disc DVD is the bonus content.

Both DVD's in my Legendary were prestine, the packing was fantastic.[/quote]Pics or links to some? I've wanted to see what the retail LE looks like.

[quote name='karkyco']Maybe the legendary editions will come with specially banged up Master Chief helmets that are all broken and cracked...Bungie can claim they are "war damaged"/"battle scarred".[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised they didn't add any worn/dinging effects to the helmet. How many fucking battles has Master Chief been in with the Mark VI already? Must be using a Hori armor protector or something.

took my CE back to walmart today...they had multiple people already return theirs and all the ones they had left had the disc loose...they just said they have to return everything...

i would like to see some sort of statement from Microsoft regarding this other then just updating their policy

SInce i havent picked up my collectors edition yet until after work maybe ill see if i can upgrade to a LE, Although i do love Nice Metal cases i dont want F'd Disks especially if i have to sent it in and wait for a good one back.

[quote name='Jedi1979']i would like to see some sort of statement from Microsoft regarding this other then just updating their policy[/QUOTE]
"This shouldn't be about scratched discs or faulty packaging. This should be about Finishing the Fight! *more marketing tripe goes here*"

I got mine in the mail today. Both discs are scratched but really nothing that serious. As long as it plays fine I will be happy with it. Has anyone tried their disc in the 360 and seen if it worked, or just automatically took it back to the store?

[quote name='mrelusive']I will, but maybe later.

I've said this in the other bitching thread, but this is a good reason why you don't let the marketing department sign off/design game packaging. The irony that MGS' cash cow will likely cost them money instead of garning them profit is irony at its finest. (BIG IF, I have no clue how much profit each disc turns up or what it costs to replace)[/QUOTE]
You must of failed math or something because these game discs cost like half a cent to produce and thats all they end up replacing this is no big deal at all plus at bulk mail rates sending a disc costs close to nothing.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']I got mine in the mail today. Both discs are scratched but really nothing that serious. As long as it plays fine I will be happy with it. Has anyone tried their disc in the 360 and seen if it worked, or just automatically took it back to the store?[/QUOTE]
Mine is fairly scratched up. Not the worst that I have seen but scratched, nonetheless. I played the first mission last night without a hitch, I also played multiplayer as well. I'll be sure to report if something doesn't work.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']You must of failed math or something because these game discs cost like half a cent to produce and thats all they end up replacing this is no big deal at all plus at bulk mail rates sending a disc costs close to nothing.[/QUOTE]
I'm refering to all those CE copies being returned in whole at the B&M, not some recall crap.

No need to attack on my terrible math skills :p

Man...my copy is coming UPS....>_< Has anyone contacted NewEgg about this...this is part of their non-refundable 30 day policy...i will wait untill it arrives, but if it is scratched I will definitely be contacting them about this and update here if anyone needs to know. Mine was delivered today supposedly but I haven't been home yet.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']You must of failed math or something because these game discs cost like half a cent to produce and thats all they end up replacing this is no big deal at all plus at bulk mail rates sending a disc costs close to nothing.[/quote]

Yeah you're right, because after all, Microsoft didn't have to pay developers or designers or any of that to actually MAKE the game. They just click Start Menu in Vista and click on, "Game Maker".

fail.jpg

I hate when people assume the cost of disk and packaging = cost of game.

3 out of 4 limited edition cases I picked up at best buy could easily feel the disc sliding and hitting the top/bottom of case. Not good.

Mine arrived today, both disc's loose and scratched. Played through the first two missions though without a hitch. Still going to call and get mine replaced.

For anyone that bought there Limited Edition from gamestop, we recieved an email telling us to replace the disk from a regular edition, so if you have a scratched one and u bought it from gamestop, we have already been informed and are replacing the scratched disks.

[quote name='NamelessMC']I hate when people assume the cost of disk and packaging = cost of game.[/QUOTE]
But in this situation (Microsoft doing mail in replacements), he's correct. We're not talking about the cost of the game. We're talking about the additional costs Microsoft will incur in replacing defective discs. That additional cost will just be the physical cost of the disc and a tiny cost in handling/return postage.

People returning them to the store, on the other hand, will cost them significantly more. But still just the physical replacement and logistics cost.

[quote name='Pestilence']For anyone that bought there Limited Edition from gamestop, we recieved an email telling us to replace the disk from a regular edition, so if you have a scratched one and u bought it from gamestop, we have already been informed and are replacing the scratched disks.[/quote]

The cd labels are different for those that care.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Mine are flawless, then again, I'm friends with everyone at the gamestop where I got mine. He shook around until he found one that wasn't loose.[/QUOTE]

... while at the same time, he made everyone else's limited edition just a little bit worse. Just kidding, it really isn't his fault.

For anyone that bought there Limited Edition from gamestop, we recieved an email telling us to replace the disk from a regular edition, so if you have a scratched one and u bought it from gamestop, we have already been informed and are replacing the scratched disks.

[quote name='jughead']... while at the same time, he made everyone else's limited edition just a little bit worse. Just kidding, it really isn't his fault.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know it sucks for them.. but I also have 8 games preordered, and shop there all the time,

I didn't know them until I started buying stuff there, not like there some highschool buddies.

Either way, it took 4 before I got to my perfect copy. Shitty.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']The cd labels are different for those that care.[/quote]

Yeah, I was at Gamestop launch event last night. They tried to tell my friend they would replace his CE disk with the RE disk, he was like "Wtf? No. I paid for a collector's item, it's worth even less than a regular with a regular disk in CD packaging."

He eventualy had to settle with returning his CE and buying an RE copy. And he's REALLY pissed, because he won't be able to return Halo 3 RE to buy a CE when the good CE's come, and there were only 3 good CE's out of a whole package of 55 that the store had. THREE! Three games not scratched out of a box of 55.

[quote name='jughead']Mine is fairly scratched up. Not the worst that I have seen but scratched, nonetheless. I played the first mission last night without a hitch, I also played multiplayer as well. I'll be sure to report if something doesn't work.[/quote]

Alright thanks for that. Mine is scratched but it's more light scratches then anything. I had my brother look at it as well and he said it should play fine. I am not a collector anymore but if I was I could see why this would be a problem.

your friend could send it to microsoft, since they said they replace any damaged CE edition game disc.

[quote name='NamelessMC']Yeah, I was at Gamestop launch event last night. They tried to tell my friend they would replace his CE disk with the RE disk, he was like "Wtf? No. I paid for a collector's item, it's worth even less than a regular with a regular disk in CD packaging."

He eventualy had to settle with returning his CE and buying an RE copy. And he's REALLY pissed, because he won't be able to return Halo 3 RE to buy a CE when the good CE's come, and there were only 3 good CE's out of a whole package of 55 that the store had. THREE! Three games not scratched out of a box of 55.[/quote]

[quote name='BULL_Ship']You must of failed math or something because these game discs cost like half a cent to produce and thats all they end up replacing this is no big deal at all plus at bulk mail rates sending a disc costs close to nothing.[/quote]

It should not cost me a cent. M$ should pick up the bill and say they are sorry for wasting my time.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']The cd labels are different for those that care.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if it's more than the labels. The CE has a big sticker by the bonus disc saying "Important! Insert game disc first." I haven't been home to try mine, does anyone know what happens if you don't? It makes it sound like you need the CE game disc to unlock the content of that bonus disc.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']your friend could send it to microsoft, since they said they replace any damaged CE edition game disc.[/quote]

Yeah, and HE has to pay shipping and go two weeks without the game.

Sorry but MS is atrocious at quality control. They messed up the disks, why should the customer have to pay another $5 to get the unscratched version of the game?

It's like they're telling us, "For $69.99 you can get the Collector's Edition of Halo 3, but if you want the new copy of Halo 3 Collector's Edition, it's $74.99 and a 2 week wait period. Finish the fight! After shipping and handling and two week wait."

I got scolded by a Best Buy employee for shaking the CE boxes to search for loose discs...I found 1 package out of 6 that wasn't obviously loose...

Then the cashier told me I should spend $5 on a warranty because MS "designed the game case to intentionally scratch the disc"... :roll:

[quote name='youbastards']I got scolded by a Best Buy employee for shaking the CE boxes to search for loose discs...I found 1 package out of 6 that wasn't obviously loose...

Then the cashier told me I should spend $5 on a warranty because MS "designed the game case to intentionally scratch the disc"... :roll:[/quote]

If you lived in my city and I went with you to Best Buy, that employee would've gotten an exciting Halo 3 experience that he wouldn't tell his friends about from shame and embarassment.

Any time an employee at any place like that tries to be an asshole to people when they're obviously trying to protect their investments, I always step in.

One time this chick was looking at an ad for Circuit City while she was at Best Buy, obviously price checking and some dick walked up to he and was like, "You know we do price checks here and it's not cool to hold an ad for our competitors when other customers are around." She looked intimidated and I didn't even know her, but I stepped in and told him off. His manager came around and apologized to her and surprisingly, the jerk employee must've went on lunch break cuz he disappeared.

[quote name='Pestilence']For anyone that bought there Limited Edition from gamestop, we recieved an email telling us to replace the disk from a regular edition, so if you have a scratched one and u bought it from gamestop, we have already been informed and are replacing the scratched disks.[/quote]

Do the regular edition disks look exactly the same as the LE ones?

[quote name='Blackshear']Do the regular edition disks look exactly the same as the LE ones?[/quote]

[quote name='ZerotypeX']The cd labels are different for those that care.[/quote]

!

I've ordered the LE from gamequestdirect but now I'm worried so I bought a copy at Target after passing the "shake test" (I found two out of like twenty that didn't rattle). I suppose there sholdn't be any problem with returning the shipped copy in a couple of days as long as it's not opened, right?

[quote name='Blackshear']Do the regular edition disks look exactly the same as the LE ones?[/quote]

Nope, they don't. The Collector's has a different art for the number 3 and it says "Game Disc" on it to identify it from the two discs that come with the CE.

Also, the collector's bonus disc says, "Insert Game Disc first!" on it, so I'm wondering if you NEED the CE game disc in order to access the features.

shame those with a screwed up "Essentials Disc" will still have to send their discs out.

[quote name='NamelessMC']Also, the collector's bonus disc says, "Insert Game Disc first!" on it, so I'm wondering if you NEED the CE game disc in order to access the features.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's because the bonus discs are filled with spoilers and they want you to play through the game first.

There's a warning screen for both discs, too. (warning about spoilers).

[quote name='spmahn']As long as the game plays fine, I fail to see why this is taht big of a deal.[/quote]
I agree, Actually... this is quite entertaining I mean you all spend all this time standing in line at Midnight and all this money for all this retarded hype and you get home with your over hyped, over priced gamed and... it's scratched...

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN

LOL

bread's done
Back