LEGO Deals 3

Someone pointed out on Brickset that the Mixel joints can ONLY come in grey, has to do with their clutch power, so there is no way for the fish to look decent.

Ugh … the mini golf set seems really fun, but I love “base” sets like the Viking Village … and the fish are nice too. I vote … for all three!
Agree. While I said the mini golf one is really cute, I'd probably rather have the Viking Village first. The fish one I don't care for.

Probably true because in August there is the $400, 4500 piece Castle that comes out for the 90th. 20 figures, two horses and a cow. Sockingly no sheep (besides the LEGO cult members).

That would be a sweet gift with purchase for the LEGO anniversary castle set … I’m really building this castle set up in my mind
Except the Forestpersons (It's 2022 after all) set comes out in June, huge castle comes out in August.

I was debating buy a set to get the two current freebies but I rather wait for this.

$350-$400 Castle 9 Lion Knights, 2 Falcon, 2 Forrestman
Ritterburg-Zeichnung-2.jpg

For non-LEGO Castle fans....

SPACE!!!!

A REMAKE OF THE FAMOUS 497 SET FROM THE 70s!
1254 pieces $110-$150 because LEGO Euro to USD makes no sense.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-10497-galaxy-explorer-neuauflage/144161/

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m excited for the castle and to see how the GWP turns out. That was the Forestmen set I had growing up.

I didn’t know the next CMF series will be tied in with the 90th anniversary stuff. That could be fun

Harry Potter Flying Lesson is in stock on Lego.com. I feel like that hasn’t been available since the fall. Same with Monkey King Warrior Mech although that’s always been on Amazon

Eurobricks mod...

I really see no evidence of AFOLs moving away to other brick-brands besides you. Most AFOLs love LEGO the product, not the format of LEGO or the concept of interlocking bricks and parts.
:shock:

That's literally cult thinking. I like LEGO because of the quality and fun of the build and play. If MegaBloks had ANY quality control as a child I'd be buying them. With LEGO's quality going down the drain I have no issue jumping ship.

More shocking, he wasn't talking to me.

I'm torn...I appreciate them going back to the old space theme, but it looks so blocky. I've gotten used to the newer, smoother designs.

It's like going back to the old VW Bug design

51X-qqSt9BL._AC_SX425_.jpg

My German is rusty, and I'm too lazy to use google translate. Does the remake include the base plates!?!?
You aren't using chrome? Does it automatically most of the time.
Does not include the baseplate. Also doesn't include the little tower thing, it's ONLY the ship and the red and white figures.

It's on the box itself, so I'd assume so
What box? We haven't been shown the set yet.

I'm torn...I appreciate them going back to the old space theme, but it looks so blocky. I've gotten used to the newer, smoother designs.

It's like going back to the old VW Bug design
51X-qqSt9BL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Totally agree … hopefully that’s a fan MOC and not the actual set. I guess they really want to get that 45+ year old money or something, because that Space set is a ways before my time and the retro design would do nothing for me.

I hope the Castle is modernized and not a retro build.

Barracuda Bay was the perfect way to pay homage to the past but evolve a classic LEGO theme imo.

The new Galaxy Explorer is supposed to have 1254 parts. The original set had 338 (which included the tower).

I think it's safe to assume the new version will be a considerable update. 

I thought he was asking about the space set's 2 base plates, since the site is in German.
The pictures are from the Classic. SPace set that the new one is inspired on.

Google Chrome translation....

With the new LEGO 10497 Galaxy Explorer, the focus is clearly on the spaceship. 3D base plates, as they were in the sets from the 70s, didn't make it into the new edition. But that should also be due to the fact that these special base plates are no longer produced. The small transmission tower will also no longer exist.

Instead, the designers focused entirely on the Galaxy Explorer. The remastered spacecraft has a wingspan of 32 cm and measures 52.5 cm from the engines to the top of the weapon systems. This means that the set should not only be suitable for playing, but also look good in the showcase.

For the cockpit and the adjoining crew area there will be two 12 x 6 x 2 windscreens in trans-yellow, as we already have them from 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! know. In general, the spaceship is less bumpy and the edges of the wings are fully tiled. As a result, the look is somewhat reminiscent of that of the 10283 Space Shuttle , where the wing edges are also built without visible knobs.

The cockpit is equipped with various consoles, and there are also various consoles and sleeping arrangements in the crew area. As with the original, the rear area can be folded away to the left and right. This reveals a small rover that can be used to explore foreign planets. The crew of the LEGO 10497 Galaxy Explorer consists of a total of four astronauts, two in white and two in red classic space suits.

The set consists of a total of 1254 parts and will be sold for 109.99 euros. We are currently not assuming that the LEGO 10497 Galaxy Explorer will be a LEGO exclusive set, so there should also be some discounts in free trade. Unfortunately, we can't say with certainty when exactly the new Space Set will appear. We currently think August is likely.

• Set number: 10497
  • Designation: Galaxy Explorer
  • Number of parts: 1254
  • Figures: 4
  • Release date: August 2022
  • Availability: LEGO
  • RRP: 109.99 euros

"3D base plates, as they were in the sets from the 70s, didn't make it into the new edition. But that should also be due to the fact that these special base plates are no longer produced."

That's a pretty lazy excuse.   

Not that I need any as I still have a half dozen of the originals, but it could have been a cool add for people that don't have them.  When did they stop producing those?

So those were heavily influenced by the lunar surface that got me thinking.  Has LEGO ever had a Mars themed series?  I'm picturing a maroon/sunset orange baseplate kind of look, which could be cool.

When did they stop producing those?
About 40 years ago. :lol:
If it weren't for modulars LEGO wouldn't even make thin baseplates anymore. They already phased out the road plates.

Life on Mars was great, very ahead of it's time design wise and the aliens were great. Mission to Mars... I don't know what LEGO was thinking.

The Starry Night is out, still in stock and comes with the two GWPs.

Grabbed Starry Night this morning. Had the site up last night, but apparently passed out before it went live. Good thing not everyone is geeky about Van Gogh as me.....Got both GWPs and actually remembered to use my code for the Ulysses Satellite!

I have a huge stack of the old City road baseplates, but no space ones :(

Grabbed Starry Night this morning. Had the site up last night, but apparently passed out before it went live. Good thing not everyone is geeky about Van Gogh as me.....Got both GWPs and actually remembered to use my code for the Ulysses Satellite!

I have a huge stack of the old City road baseplates, but no space ones :(
I love the set. The Van Gogh Doctor Who episode is a favorite of mine. The set just seems very expensive for what it is.

Screw it. I bought it too with $20 in VIP rewards and the two 'gifts'.

Re: Mars

Those are kinda neat, but not what I was picturing at all.   I'm thinking they could/should revamp the classic space theme to fit Mars instead of the Moon.  I'm picturing The Martian (Matt Damon flick) but with LEGO in my head.  More science based/exploration instead of... aliens.  lol

I'm on Firefox currently. Doesn't seem to have auto-translate. If it does, it's disabled.

Totally sucks that the baseplates are not part of the Space set re-release. That's a large part of an old set. And the excuse is pathetic.  So learn how to produce them for a re-release!

Costco is peak ymmv. I see posts on Reddit with all sorts of sets that never make it to my area. I did get Boba Palace for $60 but right now the entire toy section at my nearest store is a pallet that’s half Pokémon cards and half squishmallows

Costco is peak ymmv. I see posts on Reddit with all sorts of sets that never make it to my area. I did get Boba Palace for $60 but right now the entire toy section at my nearest store is a pallet that’s half Pokémon cards and half squishmallows
I regret not getting a friend of mine to pick it up for me.

Anyone have a suggestion on storage for smaller sets?

My daughter has been building the $10-$20 range sets and we are getting overrun with these things and they are collecting dust. She doesn't really play with them much after building so I was thinking of breaking them back down in some zip lock bags or maybe some kind of plastic storage boxes (put them all in a big plastic tub) so she can easily go through and pick out sets to rebuild later.

Basically, is there a craft storage box or something that makes more sense than a bunch of zip lock bags in a storage tub - something big enough for 100-200 piece set range and instructions that can be easily accessed and stored.

Speaking of Costco YMMV, found a Mario starter set today that was obviously a return for $15. For me, I live close enough to Costco and love rotisserie chicken enough that a membership is worth it.

Basically, is there a craft storage box or something that makes more sense than a bunch of zip lock bags in a storage tub - something big enough for 100-200 piece set range and instructions that can be easily accessed and stored.
For sets, I haven't found anything better than bags as far as cost and space taken. As long as the bag can fit the instructions, it's easy to identify the sets.

For individual piece storage, I've found hardware stores such as Harbor Freight offer better value than craft stores.

Anyone have a suggestion on storage for smaller sets?

My daughter has been building the $10-$20 range sets and we are getting overrun with these things and they are collecting dust. She doesn't really play with them much after building so I was thinking of breaking them back down in some zip lock bags or maybe some kind of plastic storage boxes (put them all in a big plastic tub) so she can easily go through and pick out sets to rebuild later.

Cost wise you've nailed it. We buy Freezer Slide Lock bags in quart and gallon size. Most have a writable white area so we put down the name and number of the set. Put those in big plastic tub. The bags squish together and minimize wasting space. We keep the manuals seperate so they don't get ripped up.

We also have the bigger plastic drawer sets that stack for separating building pieces by color...they work okay until they get fuller and heavier and start to warp the drawers and preventing them from sliding easily.

I'm normally a cheap MF but the slide lock freezer bags are so much better than the basic ziplock. Hefty makes half gallon bags (I've only found them at Target) that are good for medium sized sets where a gallon is overkill.

According to the dates on Lego.com, the Cosmic Cardboard Adventures GWP will now be available through 6/14 (or while supplies last). Good news for those waiting for June 1 sets.  The Amusement Park is still listed as ending 5/30. 

According to the dates on Lego.com, the Cosmic Cardboard Adventures GWP will now be available through 6/14 (or while supplies last). Good news for those waiting for June 1 sets. The Amusement Park is still listed as ending 5/30.
And Forestmen set starts June 15th.

Hell yeah … came here after seeing Beach Vader … wasn’t disappointed.

I normally resist the advent calendars, but Beach Vader and his shirt are definitely joining my collection.

Hopefully Costco carries the advent calendars again this year.

Hell yeah … came here after seeing Beach Vader … wasn’t disappointed.

I normally resist the advent calendars, but Beach Vader and his shirt are definitely joining my collection.

Hopefully Costco carries the advent calendars again this year.
I regret not getting the first Santa Vader but the Ugly Christmas Sweater Vader is awesome. I think I even like this one more.

bread's done
Back