LEGO Deals 3

I wanted it before it got "recalled"...I'm sure collectors/resellers will make it impossible to find in the wild now that the value is astronomical.

Speaking of resellers, big shout out to the douche bag that bought all three Hidden Sides High School sets in my local Walmart. Weird thing is that now Brickseek is showing 3 in stock at a Walmart 45 minutes away that was OOS since the beginning of the clearance. Wonder if this person is moving stock buying and returning to their closer store and waiting for another drop.
I mean, you have to go out there, buy them all up and move them back, right?

Saw the Mario stuff in Walmart today.  Didn't know they were doing mystery character bags $4.97.  Got 5 or so.  Might get the starter set from Lego.com to get the freebies with it.

And those 3 Hidden Sides High Schools dropped to $30 and went OOS an hour later.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the Mario stuff in Walmart today. Didn't know they were doing mystery character bags $4.97. Got 5 or so. Might get the starter set from Lego.com to get the freebies with it.

And those 3 Hidden Sides High Schools dropped to $30 and went OOS an hour later.
I tried last week to get them and learned they were accidentally put out and couldn't be sold. I'm planning on getting the set tomorrow but does anyone know if supporting sets are on sale now?

I tried last week to get them and learned they were accidentally put out and couldn't be sold. I'm planning on getting the set tomorrow but does anyone know if supporting sets are on sale now?
Saw a ton of sets at Target today - Bowser, outfits, Boos, Piranha plants, but no starter set. Kind of glad they don’t appeal to me, as I could see the temptation to collect all of it at an exorbitant price. Hopefully Legend of Zelda sets follow, which would be more interesting imo.

I saw a mountain* of Nintendo polybags on a 30% off clearance endcap at Target the other day.  I grabbed one to price check... nope...not on clearance.  That was expected but still disappointing.  

*looked like someone accidentally ordered 10x the amount they would normally get of any other poly.

I really didn't want to..... but I got the Piano set along with the Mario Starter, character costumes and a few other add on sets. Now I need to work a few days on my vacation to offset my Lego purchase. Considering I ordered the NES last night too, I guess I can look forward to all those reward points.

I really didn't want to..... but I got the Piano set along with the Mario Starter, character costumes and a few other add on sets. Now I need to work a few days on my vacation to offset my Lego purchase. Considering I ordered the NES last night too, I guess I can look forward to all those reward points.
I didn't know that one of the bonuses was in store only :bomb: . Made the trip. Got there around 1:00. Piano and NES sold out signs on the windows. Also a line to get in the store as they were limiting customers in the store. Did get the polybag and bigger bonus set by buying the starter set. Now somebody needs to hack this ugly little Mario and make it do some cool stuff.

I'm looking for a 75953 Whomping Willow set for my son to go with the great hall and clock tower for his birthday. Any ideas on where to get one for msrp even?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Barnes n noble might be your best bet

Yeah, the Monty mole set came back, it was a pain to get. The Ontario mills store is doing curbside only, took me a half hour to get through, I picked up the second to last piano, nes still seems to be in stock.

I got a nutcracker as well, weird that they still have those, I think elessar said he got a gingerbread house the other day.

I'm looking for a 75953 Whomping Willow set for my son to go with the great hall and clock tower for his birthday. Any ideas on where to get one for msrp even?

Piggyback off of what skiizm said:

https://oberlin.bncollege.com/shop/oberlin/product/lego-harry-potter-tm-hogwarts-tm-whomping-willow-tm-75953?graphicId=x

That's my store and I know we have a few of them. If you do decide I can ship it out to you tomorrow. I'd look for a coupon code first though. There's a few floating around I think.

As much as I like Mario, the sets don't interest me. If Legend of Zelda comes out, I'm afraid of going down another collection rabbit hole...

LEGO site has it up but back ordered until Aug 16

And yeah Barnes and Noble will show which stores have stock too

I was kinda disappointed in the Mario set. My 9 year old enjoyed the idea of it and the easy but fun build but no one really seems interested in the actual "game". Also, while I know it's not exactly their expertise I'm surprised Lego under developed the app so much. My main complaints are:

1. There's not a starter design using all the base set components. I know this is supposed to get you designing yourself but it seems like a concept that wasn't thought through instead,

2. That might be because it was. There's not really any controls for scoring, leaderboards, or anything that holds the idea of a level other than the vague idea of platforming you might have seen in the youtube videos.

3. Finally, I thought for some reason there would be some AR or other method to more functionality capture and share designs but really you are literally just uploading photos from your device. They may get checked or curated for appropriateness but it means plenty of shared designs can't even really be understood.

Overall, I'm not too mad about having the base set but I may return some unopen supporting sets if my kids don't show more interest or engagement.

Also, while I'm lucky to have the Haunted Mansion ride (really enjoying the build BTW at the halfway point) I think I want to get the Piano so if anyone here builds it soon I'd love impressions.

As someone who spends most the day listening to his kids yell “1-2-3, let it rip!” followed by the loud sound of whirring Beyblades, I concur.

I guess I’m not that hard of hearing them, hopefully they can improve that with some sort of update. I couldn’t barely hear anything while using the app.

I don't know if this is common or if I just have the worst luck, but I've had an issue with every large set I've owned.  Looks like I'm missing a small bag of parts in the NES set this time.  Yay.

I've been noticing a decrease in quality control from Lego lately or I'm also having bad luck.

My NES set isn't fully built yet but bag 1 had an incorrect swapped piece. Fortunately it was a common piece so i just went into my spare bins and pulled out a dark grey wedge but this is the 3rd set recently where something similar has happened. Also instruction book 1 had some kind of....gunk inside it smeared all over one page and soaking through about a dozen pages on each end. Oily nastiness. It did not affect being able to follow the instructions but ruins the nice manual.

I don't know if this is common or if I just have the worst luck, but I've had an issue with every large set I've owned. Looks like I'm missing a small bag of parts in the NES set this time. Yay.

I've been noticing a decrease in quality control from Lego lately or I'm also having bad luck.

My NES set isn't fully built yet but bag 1 had an incorrect swapped piece. Fortunately it was a common piece so i just went into my spare bins and pulled out a dark grey wedge but this is the 3rd set recently where something similar has happened. Also instruction book 1 had some kind of....gunk inside it smeared all over one page and soaking through about a dozen pages on each end. Oily nastiness. It did not affect being able to follow the instructions but ruins the nice manual.
Did your instruction booklet catch coronavirus?

Got lucky with the NES set I ordered. The set apparently got dispatched Saturday and was at my house already Sunday morning. The “luck” part involved my son actually noticing the set looking out our front picture window. Fed Ex had left it without knocking or ringing the doorbell and within ten minutes of us pulling it in we got slammed by torrential rain for a good half hour. It likely would have been soaked.

Yikes, sure did get lucky, replacements from LEGO are taking astronomical time!!!! It took two months to get an order replaced. From may the fourth, on the bright side they sent me duplicate sets on one of the items after they received the return.

I wouldn't exactly call it quality control but I learned first hand how finicky the engineering on the new Haunted House is. I can't get the lift to work at all and there appears to be numerous issues at fault including uneven friction, a weak lift chain, and others. This would be the first lego set I've ever bought where I'm not confident I can get functioning without an outright modification.

Yikes, sure did get lucky, replacements from LEGO are taking astronomical time!!!! It took two months to get an order replaced. From may the fourth, on the bright side they sent me duplicate sets on one of the items after they received the return.
I ordered a replacement manual for the Haunted House mentioned above and while the process was slow (days to reply and a few weeks to get a replacement) I'm at least happy to say it was all free without many hoops to jump through in order to get the order complete.

I didn’t have the previous Weasley house so I’m not sure

This morning I picked up the AT-AT and a couple Harry Potter series 2 minifigures. Didn’t get to the store at opening to the 591st sets had already been swooped up

Watch this video Fatbot, don't know if it will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_AieFWlqk
Thanks! Sadly, my issue is more about the tower shaft not being totally square and the carriage getting repeatedly stuck at different sections. I'm going to see what I can do close any tiny gaps that may be causing it but worst case scenario its still a decent looking model.

Ikea Bygglek, anyone?

lego-ikea-bygglek-brickfinder-banner.jpg

Agreed. Those look pretty cool. I hope they come in other colors.

I like the little row of studs indented at the front so you can label them using Lego

Spending the least amount of money to get some movement, you'll just need a battery box and a motor.  

I've found power functions to be fairly cheap and durable, especially compared to the new system.

Having  said that, power functions components are like regular Lego pieces...the more quantity and variation you have, the more freedom you have to be creative.

You want remote control...you'll need an IR controller and an IR receiver.

You DON'T need the DC power plug (charges a rechargable battery that isn't even listed).  Also the servo motor is only good for rotating an axis 90 degrees in either direction (think steering wheel).

The battery boxes perform the same function but one is AAA  and connects like a giant Lego brick, while the other is AA and connects with Technic.

The only hidden cost to using power functions is the gear pieces and perhaps Technic pieces you might need to do what you want...like the chain you mentioned.  

I mostly add power functions to trains which means I need a train motor, IR receiver, IR controller, and battery box for each train.  The IR controllers have 4 channels to send signals on, so a single controller can control 4 different trains.

Good luck.

bread's done
Back