Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I figured you would just get the 32x cover art from the loyalty program, not the actual game. I would prefer this as you would need a lot less tickets.

I figured you would just get the 32x cover art from the loyalty program, not the actual game. I would prefer this as you would need a lot less tickets.
To be honest, I kinda prefer going through the tickets because only the most hardcore collectors would get the 32x version.

My guess is that the sega cd version will be 3,000 copies and the red box version will be 3,000 copies while the 32x version will be 1,000 copies. Josh or Doug has mentioned that they are aiming the game to be 6,000 copies so it would make sense that way.

When FPGAs get powerful enough?
Perhaps I needed to be more specific. I am aware that they are currently producing FPGAs that have enough power to easily emulate 16-bit, and perhaps even 32-bit systems. It would have been more accurate for me to say that I am waiting for them to be affordable enough. I am not a low-level computer engineer. I have no intention of building one of these things for myself. I would have to wait until someone else turns something like this into a commercial product. (as has been happening lately)

But in order for someone to turn something like this into a commercial product, the technology has to be cheap enough to make the final product feasible in the current market. And that's still going to take a little time. Thankfully, time is the only element that is necessary. Tech constantly decreases in cost. The higher-end FPGAs of today will be available for peanuts in a year or two.

WOW, if someone would have told me just last year, we would be having a discussion about "Night Trap" in 2017, and how best to get a LE version for the PS4, I would have said to pass the pipe. LOL

I guess there's never a dull moment when it comes to gaming uh? I just wish this was for an updated version of Snatcher, but I must say, I'm actually interested in this, as I've always been a full motion video fan. While many don't consider them real games, I always admired what was trying to be done, and how some developers went about it. A solid part of gaming history, no question.

Perhaps I needed to be more specific. I am aware that they are currently producing FPGAs that have enough power to easily emulate 16-bit, and perhaps even 32-bit systems. It would have been more accurate for me to say that I am waiting for them to be affordable enough. I am not a low-level computer engineer. I have no intention of building one of these things for myself. I would have to wait until someone else turns something like this into a commercial product. (as has been happening lately)

But in order for someone to turn something like this into a commercial product, the technology has to be cheap enough to make the final product feasible in the current market. And that's still going to take a little time. Thankfully, time is the only element that is necessary. Tech constantly decreases in cost. The higher-end FPGAs of today will be available for peanuts in a year or two.
Sorry I have to nit pick this because it drives me nuts.

FPGAs are not emulation. You are recreating the original circuit pin per pin and cycle per cycle and executing that logic native. An FPGA *becomes* the target circuit, it doesn't translate or emulate anything.

Emulating is a microprocessor running software to interpret and respond to the opcodes of another architecture's software real time.

(Though some would argue that FPGAs are all LUTs and not real logic gates anyway, but its still a concurrent logic circuit with logic gates implementing those LUTs and not a microprocessor instruction interpreter loop).

It's not really a cost thing for the end product. It's more man hours and reverse engineering proprietary undocumented decades old ASICs which mostly involves trial and error. Emulators are a good start at understanding the API from a programmer's perspective (eg: we know how to emulate SFX, SA1, and write custom software that makes use of the same behavior). But reverse engineering the insides of that ASIC and translating that to synthesize-able VHDL is a time consuming task and there aren't a whole lot of people who care that much.

Some even go as far as decapping and acid etching old chips and scanning them in microscopes to try to get an exact 100% accurate circuit operation. But even with old micrometer hmos processes you're still talking expressing something like "multiply 2 vectors" as 10s of thousands of transistors.

I guess it IS a cost thing so much as few people are interested or have access to the costly lab equipment necessary to reverse engineer obsolete decades old toys and develop these things. Once reverse engineered and shared though they can be mass produced in $5 FPGAs. It's tons more effort to reverse engineer someone else's ASIC than to just make your own from scratch.

8/16 bit systems like SNES, TurboGraphics, and Sega CD are fairly simple. It's when you start getting to PS1/Saturn era when complexity, function, integration, density, and pin counts started exploding with high density VLSI by the mid 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:

FPGA prices don't drop that much. They're more expensive to make than your standard ASICs. Your best bet is to get one that can be reconfigured for multiple systems to cut the per system emulation down. A $200 system that can be configured to play 10 systems is more realistic than a $20 system that can natively run SNES games.

FPGAs are not emulation. You are recreating the original circuit and executing that logic native. An FPGA becomes the target circuit, it doesn't translate or emulate anything.

Emulating is a microprocessor running software to interpret and respond to the opcodes of another architecture's software real time.
Sorry I have to nit pick this but...

Hardware emulation is still emulation.

I can't believe people are getting excited about Night Trap. These old FMV games looked like garbage back then, with blurry, low-res video and crappy "interactive" controls. I actually bought a 3DO back when it launched just to see what the games were like, and returned it the next day. Absolute trash system, and the Sega CD was not much better.

FPGA prices don't drop that much. They're more expensive to make than your standard ASICs. Your best bet is to get one that can be reconfigured for multiple systems to cut the per system emulation down. A $200 system that can be configured to play 10 systems is more realistic than a $20 system that can natively run SNES games.

Sorry I have to nit pick this but...

Hardware emulation is still emulation.
It's not emulation though.

The original digital logic function is reproduced concurrently and instantaneously by more digital logic. It's not a the same thing as a software interpreter loop that expends 100s of host software cycles on a CPU to run interpreter software to manually carry out translation of another platforms software.

When you synth a 6502 CPU core in a FPGA, you have a legit fully functional real native 6502 circuit that can directly execute 6502 opcodes.

The same VHDL can be compiled to RTL and sent in for litho masks to manufacture an ASIC as well.

Can't stress enough the difference between simulating behavior in software on a microprocessor and reconfigurable logic circuit that simply "becomes" whatever circuit it needs to be, native, with no need for any kind of translation or simulation.

Synthesizing != emulating. It's a fairly difficult thing to wrap your mind around, especially if you are a experienced software developer who has never designed hardware before.

I'll differ to you guys on this one. If you want to talk animal endocrinopathy or infectious disease I can sound intelligent there.

Do these forums no longer have mods?
CAG is basically a shared public diary. We read each others diaries and then have a giggle. Need you to get on board with that idea.

What did you have for lunch today, Lordmaloysius? Are you playing any interesting video games?

Yes, you are nit-picking a little bit. I am aware how FPGAs function, and that the term "simulation" would probably be more accurate than "emulation" where they are concerned. They provide a large number of programmable gates, and you can program them to essentially behave like different integrated circuits. This makes them immensely flexible, which is where their utility in the marketplace comes in.

They are useful for "simulating" older video game systems as they can be programmed to essentially mimic the original hardware flawlessly. So long as the FPGA in question has the necessary number of gates to replicate the functionality of the system you're targeting, you're good to go.

FPGAs prices have been fairly static as of late, as they have not yet been extensively applied. I expect that to change over time, as the need for flexibility starts to outweigh specialized power. But for now they tend to be a bit pricey, which is why we haven't seen them used for a 16-bit video game system clone just yet. Also, 16-bit systems would take more time and effort to map out effectively. The programming for an FPGA is where the vast majority of the work lies.

CAG is basically a shared public diary. We read each others diaries and then have a giggle. Need you to get on board with that idea.

What did you have for lunch today, Lordmaloysius? Are you playing any interesting video games?
I had some peanut butter for lunch(was in a rush). Having a big dinner to make up for it. I am playing Mass Effect Andromeda right now, the appeal has completely worn off, but i'm too far in and just trying to finish it. Torment: Tides of Numenra is next. I was a tad apprehensive at first, but since you put it like that, I figure I had no choice but to oblige your request. TEHE

I more recently played Popful Mail on the Sega CD and boy is that game AWESOME!! I absolutely love the voice-over even though Working Designs took a lot of liberties with the translation.

Also it's insanely difficult.
I look forward to getting Night Trap, I actually don't have it for the Sega CD.
Popful Mail was brutal. I beat it on an emulator, thank god for the ability save anywhere.
The only two issues I ever had with the game was I couldn't complete it fast enough so I got all the outtakes, and that final boss..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUEqRx-C-g

You left out Corpse Killer. Now that was a good FMV game. Lol
Corpse Killer was good. But Supreme Warrior & Double Switch get no love? I loved those two. Hell Double Switch had a all-star cast(for FMV games that is :lol:) in the likes had Corey Haim, Deborah Harry and R.Lee Ermey.

I'm super sad to say in gonna have to pass on Darius. It's just not feasible for me at the moment. I had to emergency buy a new phone that set me back a few hundred dollars and if I buy Darius I'll be struggling all May to not be in debt.

For night trap tho, fuck it, I'll starve for a week. Weird stuff is my specialty and I wouldn't miss it for anything lol.

I get the whole point of the loyalty program and wanting to reward the most dedicated fans... but I kinda liked it when everyone was on a level playing field (goes on sale at a set time for everyone), vs rewarding people who can spend the most money. 

Well, people who buy multiples on every platform to resell are obviously gonna have the most tickets first, which means they're gonna get the Night Trap variants to resell.

Whereas I buy my one copy of every PS4 release like clockwork for just myself and am gonna get screwed on the cool cover here.

Oh well, at least it's just Night Trap. I hope you all waste your 40 tickets on it and right after that another better variant game gets announced that peoples like me can jump on.

Well according to their web page the tickets are "non-transferable" which I'm not sure if they plan on enforcing.  A friend of mine actually gave me his 8 tickets because he said he never planned on using them :/

Well according to their web page the tickets are "non-transferable" which I'm not sure if they plan on enforcing. A friend of mine actually gave me his 8 tickets because he said he never planned on using them :/
Yeah, they keep track of them, so you can't use your friends, as they are attached to your account.

I'm at 24 not counting Flinthook and Ray Gigantic.   Trying to remember if there was anything since they started these that I didn't get the max quantity for. I think max is 26? 

Pretty sure Runner 2 was limit 2 for the regular.  I got both bundles and didn't bother getting another 1 each platform of the normal version, so I should only be down 2 tickets from max possible.

so, everyone in this thread agrees no legit user can be at 40 yet, yet somehow that guy on Twitter claims to be at 39?

I counted all my copies, double checked my Excel file, and LRG site I believe is ordered by release date under sold out. Games wise, Vita and PS4 with max allowed, 26 should be the highest.  

Not sure if you get more for soundtracks and don't recall which if any of these had limits changed for the PM batch or lasted long enough to have no limit.

Games wise I believe these were the totals and limits:

PS4

Astebreed x2

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae x2

Pang x2

Runner 2 x2

Runner 2 variant x1

Dear Esther x2

The Swindle x1

The Swapper x2

Oxen Free x2

Curses n Chaos x1

Aqua Kitty x1

PS4 total: 18

Vita

Runner 2 x2

Runner 2 variant x1

The Swindle x1

The Swapper x2

Curses n Chaos x1

Aqua Kitty x1

Vita total: 8

Total possible games purchased since reward tickets = 26

Ray Gigant x2 and Flinthook x2 brings it up to 30.

Nova-111 PSV + PS4 and DariusBurst Std + LE is 34 as of this coming Friday.

Well the rewards variant is going to be the 32x cover right?  If that's the case I'm good as I only want the Sega CD ones, especially the original as that's the one I have.  Plus I think I only have 10-12 tickets at max right now. :lol:

This Night Trap release is way cool, and it's another of the few PS4 titles I'll be considering, but even if I had the tickets, I doubt I would spend them for that variant, unless I had plans to flip it, as I would rather wait on any possible Vita variants, as I have a complete set going there. So to get a variant for a system where I would only ever be buying a title here and there, no need to get in on this.

If the NT variant is only offered in that way, I don't know how many they can hope to move that way, as I would often get some bigger ticket items at Club N from time to time, as I knew it wouldn't take to long to build back up my surplus, but to spend the tickets here, your going to be a long time getting back up enough for another physical game, and I don't see a huge amount of users getting in on this specific title.

Maybe Josh will just hook me up with the 32X cover variant because I own the original 32X version of Night Trap. I'm like a "Night Trap ambassador" or something. Plus I watched Different Strokes as a kid. Make it happen, Josh! We even have the same name, bro! It's gotta be worth something.  :D/

Silver Case also shipped with reward tickets and there was no limit on number of copies allowed. We're coming up with ways to try and make the reward program benefit everyone a little more equally. We implemented it as a way to try and keep people around through heavy release periods but I realized too late that it'll only really benefit the people buying multiples (who would buy every release whether we had a rewards system or not).

I'm super sad to say in gonna have to pass on Darius. It's just not feasible for me at the moment. I had to emergency buy a new phone that set me back a few hundred dollars and if I buy Darius I'll be struggling all May to not be in debt.
For night trap tho, fuck it, I'll starve for a week. Weird stuff is my specialty and I wouldn't miss it for anything lol.
Curious, there anything about night trap getting a physical release?

Guys/gals, is there a simple checklist of LRG games?

Wiki has good info, but not the spine numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Run_Games

Okay, so there are number gaps in the collection and I'm wondering if I've missed any...

PS4 spine number 23, 25 and 27... What are they?

PSV, what's spine number 21 and up?
from astebreed's postcard:

23 - Thomas Was Alone VITA

25 - Shantae and the Pirates Curse PS4

27 - Stealth Inc VITA

21 - Mystery Chronicle One Way Heroics VITA

Yeah the checklist doesn't really help when you are trying to track down spine numbers.  Wish they did a checklist per platform, by spine number. 

Anyone know of the Darius vinyl will be up tomorrow as well? I don't really collect vinyls, but that one is too cool for me not to attempt to get. 

Do people really pick portal systems for shmups over the option of using a joystick/fightstick?

Not being facetious. I just can't picture myself trying to play using the Vita controls.

Dear Esther should be 23 ( The Swindle is 22, Runner 2 is 24)

Nova-111 should be 25 (Runner 2 is 24, Pang is 26)

Darius Burst should be 27 (Pang is 26, Mitsurugi is 28)

bread's done
Back