Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
"The N64 was great,"......because that's what I played when I was a kid. Oh, okay. That's some solid reasoning there.

You get the same rationale from the Gamecube people. "omg the Gamecube was the best system ever!" Why is that? oh it's because you were 10 and you had one. That's it. Got it.
Those two sentences more or less sum up the ultimate result of console war style arguments. They may start off with some rational points but usually devolve into a nostalgia driven shitshow in which emotions get too involved and people start admitting that they feel whatever console they are arguing for is great just because they had it as a kid. I think in the case of Nintendo, the nostalgia is stronger and more blinding to logic because the company has been around the longest and is/was a bigger household name. At some point it becomes a "How dare you insult Link or Mario" instead of looking at Nintendo as a business that wants your money more than anything else, just like Sony, Sega, or Microsoft.

The N64 is insanely overrated. Like the Gamecube it only had a handful of great games, yet it's highly regarded by all the Nintendo lunatics. It was probably the most shitty period of gaming. Why do you think most people migrated over to the Playstation?

"The N64 was great,"......because that's what I played when I was a kid. Oh, okay. That's some solid reasoning there.

You get the same rationale from the Gamecube people. "omg the Gamecube was the best system ever!" Why is that? oh it's because you were 10 and you had one. That's it. Got it.

Nobody plays N64 games today. Because they didn't age well. It was a very awkward time in gaming since EVERYTHING attempted to have 3D world exploration, and convert 2D games to 3D. They were shitty games by and large. Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine are you kidding me? No one gave a shit about those games and they were probably the worst incarnations of Mario during any Nintendo cycle to date. It's hardly subjective either.
Let's also not forget Nintendo's most awkward and unusable controller ever, terrible frame rates (OoT on N64 is unplayable in my opinion), an extremely limited overall library (especially when compared to their competition: the PS1), and extremely bloated prices--even when the games were new and readily available. The N64 has very little to offer outside of nostalgia. That's not to say it has nothing to offer, but just definitely not very much.

While I loved the PS1, I also liked N64 quite a bit. I loved the platformers such as Banjo and even Donkey Kong 64. 3D platformers where its forte for sure. It sucked horribly for RPGs, which is why I got the PSOne later. Not a terrible system by far, but a good one nonetheless.

I don't think systems are just great in retrospect if you were 10 at the time.  Seriously that's boneheaded.  I was a young adult when the SNES came out and I loved games all through the generations on every platform I could get my hands on.   It really just helps if you lived during that time period and played those games when they were new/new-ish.   Goldeneye didn't look bad in it's day on a standard tube tv.  It was amazing to play through that and then play it with friends.  Such great times.  The problem with most retro systems isn't their games or even the low polygons in those old PS1, GC & Saturn games... it's simply the hardware looks like crap on modern tvs.  Go get a tv 32" or under and most of these systems are much easier on the eyes.   If you want to play on bigger tv's, get the ports (if there are any) on systems with HDMI out.  I can't go back to N64 and Mario 64, but on the DS... no problem.  Same for Burnout on GC.  I have a hard time with it now despite putting enough hours into the first game to unlock everything (on GC).... but if I fire up Burnout Legends on PSP... it's much easier.   I've gotten so used to higher resoltuions that lower resolutions are harder on my eyes on big screens.   That's why the tv I use for retro stuff is like 28" and I have another that's something like 21".  So much easier to play old systems on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I enjoyed the N64, and for what I paid to import it, I damn well better have. LOL

The games it did well where great, but overall due to lack of CD, it really just didn't have the library to make it amazing. 4 player games was for sure the best part of the experience, as nothing beats Goldeneye/Perfect Dark late night gaming sessions. And those high cartridge prices was another big issue of the time. Gamecube while better in some ways, was lacking due to the burnt bridges of the N64, so it was left high and dry, but one of my top 10 games came from the GC, so for RE4 alone, it was worth the buy. I'm looking forward to Lugi's Mansion next month for the 3DS, as that and Wave Race where also top shelf games.

I also had the Panasonic Q model, which is possibly the coolest looking gaming console ever made. But of course, that came from Panasonic and not "N", so mad props to them for their efforts. LOL Overall the N64/GC along side the PS1/PS2 was a bad joke at best, as Sony got what made games cool, and ran with it. I personally preferred Rare's N64 offerings over those by "N", as they took their games and improved them in every way possible. That's when I first realized "N" couldn't do it all, and with some effort, their great games could be made better by others, and sadly ever since the N64, I've seen that more and more with each passing year.

Rare did eventually go off the rails, and to this day, I still wish Dinosaur Planet would have been delivered as intended, as I thought Banjo K. & Diddy Racing improved greatly on M64 & MK64, and Dinosaur Planet was set to be a killer Zelda clone, only to have "N" step in and completely  fuck it up

LOL Overall the N64/GC along side the PS1/PS2 was a bad joke at best, as Sony got what made games cool, and ran with it.
And this highlights one of my biggest pet peeves with people looking back on these systems. Sony didn't make their own console great. They convinced other people to make their console great. The original-model PlayStation hardware was notorious for needing to be cleaned and maintained in order to keep it running. There were some people who would turn their units upside-down in order to keep them working. The hardware for the PS1 was far from perfect. (and a big part of why was the optical drive)

And perhaps more tellingly, Sony's first-party development for the PS1 was crap. They had started publishing their own internal software for the SNES, the PS1 was not their first game-development rodeo. But at that point, they were a bottom-tier developer, notorious for putting out mediocre to terrible games. And the Sony first-party studios wouldn't properly start making a positive name for themselves until later in the PS2's lifespan. (with the introduction of titles like God of War) For most of the PS1, and a healthy portion of the PS2, Sony had no real first-party development worth speaking of.

Sony's coup with the PS1 was in their attitude toward third-party developers, and their co-opting of a marketing style that had been pioneered by Sega. Just as Sega was in the process of self-destructing, Sony swooped in and picked up where they had left off. And they aggressively leveraged their inexpensive CD format to appeal to developers, publishers, and consumers by noticeably reducing the cost of games. Cartridges are pricey, and severely cut into profit margins. CDs can be mass-produced for pennies on the dollar, and have far higher total capacity for the value. Combined with Sony's far more inclusive and permissive (and cheaper) licensing, it's easy to see why third-party developers flocked to the PlayStation.

The PS1 was a weaker, and technically inferior hardware platform. But that didn't matter. The advantages it provided far outweighed those shortcomings, and the developers were more than happy to work within those limitations. The end result was an enormous library of well-regarded titles. But it's also important to realize that none of this was because of Sony being good at developing games. The PS1 was a licensing juggernaut, not a first-party development machine. Nintendo's first-party output during the same period was constantly superior, but it was also pretty much all they had to rely on, as third-parties abandoned the N64 in huge groups.

It took Sony decades to actually assemble a decent first-party presence. Today, they have some serious talent in their stable, and have accrued a respectable reputation for their first-party offerings. But that is not how they started out. It's a lesson that Sony managed to learn, and Microsoft is still struggling with. But it's one Nintendo has always known, and has been teaching the rest of the industry over and over again.

N64 had some great games.  We sat around for countless hours playing 4-player Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.  There were a ton of other fun party games like Hexen, Forsaken 64, Starfox 64, several other shooters, and Mario Party.   There were also countless shoddy ports of everything from Starcraft 64 to Doom 64.  For my money, Mariokart 64 was the best itereation of Mariokart too.  But there was a time and place for all that stuff.  I can't remember the last time I sat around with four players on my couches and played competitive games on the same split-screen.   That's happened once or twice since college.  Many of the people I know that think of themselves as gamers don't even spend time playing video games anymore.  It's a bygone era.  We also spent probably 500 hours smoking grass and playing NHL 2002 on Gamecube in college.  But that doesn't make them great systems. 

Let's also not forget Nintendo's most awkward and unusable controller ever, terrible frame rates (OoT on N64 is unplayable in my opinion), an extremely limited overall library (especially when compared to their competition: the PS1), and extremely bloated prices--even when the games were new and readily available. The N64 has very little to offer outside of nostalgia. That's not to say it has nothing to offer, but just definitely not very much.
Things like Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium were the beginning of the end, and were what Nintendo became to be all about. Which was mostly franchising and selling plastic peripherals.

They got greedy, they got lazy, and a lot of what they did regressed into developing overpriced kids' games while filling out their libraries with hastily created ports of other successful franchises.

TBH, it all went downhill shortly after their falling out with Squaresoft late in the SNES era.

But it's one Nintendo has always known, and has been teaching the rest of the industry over and over again.
I can loosely agree with the rest of the post but I don't think Nintendo is what they once were in regards to 1st party quality titles. The consistent chain of re-releases of games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash, and Donkey Kong are wearing thin with me and it's hard to avoid getting burnt out on titles that are so similar to one another generation after generation. Zelda gets a pass because each iteration manages to be quite a bit different from the previous one, and they do release some new flavors from time to time like Splatoon or Captain Toad, but I don't consider those to be major system sellers. God of War and Resident Evil were both heading down a path similar to that but luckily Sony Santa Monica/Capcom realized these titles were becoming stagnant and radically changed the way they played to keep things fresh. I love Nintendo even in 2018 and I'm sure that the new Smash will be fun, but it won't be all that exciting, as it's basically another coat of polish on an already good game from 3 generations back.

God of War and Resident Evil were both heading down a path similar to that but luckily Sony Santa Monica/Capcom realized these titles were becoming stagnant and radically changed the way they played to keep things fresh.
Man, what do you want? Four or five Nintendo titles that are across-the-board good, some of them great. Or four or five third-party titles that are mediocre to crap, with a few of them great? Resident Evil was getting a touch troubled before 4, and basically took a nose dive afterward. God of War was tired after 2, and didn't get back on its feet until getting re-imagined on the PS4. Those series have some fairly severe ups and downs. Every main-line Nintendo release for their major series are usually just some shade of great. They are consistently high quality, even if they don't vary as much as some people would like. You can always be sure that the latest Mario Kart is going to be solid. The only question is how it stacks up to the series as a whole. Is the latest Mario platform going to be good, like New Super Mario Bros, or great, like Odyssey? The last major screw-up by Nintendo on its first-party offerings was Star Fox. (or possibly Metroid: Federation Force, though we did get a consolation Metroid II re-make shortly after)

I'll take consistently good once a console cycle over hit-and-miss on an annualized series. Nintendo keeps re-making the games that people like. You might get tired of them as a long-time gamer, but there are plenty of people who come to Nintendo consoles for exactly that.

And this highlights one of my biggest pet peeves with people looking back on these systems. Sony didn't make their own console great. They convinced other people to make their console great. The original-model PlayStation hardware was notorious for needing to be cleaned and maintained in order to keep it running. There were some people who would turn their units upside-down in order to keep them working. The hardware for the PS1 was far from perfect. (and a big part of why was the optical drive)
I stopped reading here, as "N" did the same with the NES/SNES, as they didn't get success alone. Yes, they did make great games(1st party), but so did many others, and when it came time to respect those developers, "N" gave them the finger, and Sony didn't, it's no more complex than that. The industry saw CD as the future, and did what Nintendon't, and they got left behind. You continue to try to explain why they are gods of industry, and yet everyone else is some bubbling fool who doesn't know what their doing. Atari was very successful before "N", and others have been more successful after "N" came along, those are facts and not fiction.

I can loosely agree with the rest of the post but I don't think Nintendo is what they once were in regards to 1st party quality titles. The consistent chain of re-releases of games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash, and Donkey Kong are wearing thin with me and it's hard to avoid getting burnt out on titles that are so similar to one another generation after generation. Zelda gets a pass because each iteration manages to be quite a bit different from the previous one, and they do release some new flavors from time to time like Splatoon or Captain Toad, but I don't consider those to be major system sellers. God of War and Resident Evil were both heading down a path similar to that but luckily Sony Santa Monica/Capcom realized these titles were becoming stagnant and radically changed the way they played to keep things fresh. I love Nintendo even in 2018 and I'm sure that the new Smash will be fun, but it won't be all that exciting, as it's basically another coat of polish on an already good game from 3 generations back.
You get it, not much more to say, as this sums up my last 10+ years of "N", and why I went from buying each new system at launch(imported most). To not buying a Wii U until it was over, and I'm still waiting on a properly priced NS, that trims the fat, or at least offers me NEW games, and not full priced games I already own. They really have just become a "greatest hits publisher", and not much more, sadly.

You continue to try to explain why they are gods of industry, and yet everyone else is some bubbling fool who doesn't know what their doing. Atari was very successful before "N", and others have been more successful after "N" came along, those are facts and not fiction.
No, I am pointing out that I get frustrated when gamers like you attempt to dunk on Nintendo. And it's obvious the only reason you're doing it is because you can't currently afford to have more than one console. It's an elementary-school mentality, and one of the primary motivators of console-war bickering. You're desperately attempting to latch onto any excuse to dismiss a company like Nintendo, in order to justify your acquisition of a different platform. You yourself have numerous times pointed out that you currently don't own a Switch, and only just recently acquired a used Wii U. You're digging up the same old tired arguments, and airing them out in order to reaffirm that you made the right choice, and are not missing out for having not picked up a Switch. Same old story.

If you had actually read any of what I posted, you would have noticed that I openly acknowledge the many mistakes Nintendo has made. They aren't some flawless exemplar. They've screwed up many times. But that doesn't make them bad game developers. Often times, some of their best games have come out of the adversity of some of their least profitable systems. They've stuck around because they make good games. They would have tanked long ago if their games weren't on point. Their quality game development keeps them afloat when they can't rely on anything else.

Everyone in this industry has screwed up. As I just pointed out, Sony's biggest success stories were born out of other companies mistakes, more so than their own merits. But learning about the history of the game industry involves absorbing everything, not selectively singling out what supports your current console purchase.

And for the sake of your own collection, dig deeper into the catalog of the Wii U. Now is actually one of the better times to pick up titles for it, as major retailers like GameStop are in the process of dumping stock. Now that you actually have one, you have the opportunity to catch up on its selection of titles on the cheap. Get a copy of Nintendo Land, get a copy of TANK, TANK, TANK, get Mario Maker. It burns me to see people poo-poo quality hardware based on school-yard prejudice. It's the GameCube all over again.

No, I am pointing out that I get frustrated when gamers like you attempt to dunk on Nintendo. And it's obvious the only reason you're doing it is because you can't currently afford to have more than one console. It's an elementary-school mentality, and one of the primary motivators of console-war bickering. You're desperately attempting to latch onto any excuse to dismiss a company like Nintendo, in order to justify your acquisition of a different platform.
ohhhhh, shots fired! :twoguns:

ohhhhh, shots fired!
I calls them like I sees them.

Moreover, this type of posturing is pointless in this forum. This is CAG. No one cares if you can't afford a Switch. We're all looking to get good deals, or stretch our gaming dollar here. And the bloody things are still original retail. $300 USD just to get in the door. No one's going to look down on you here if you can't pony up for one of these things right now. We've all been there. I've waited on any number of consoles before eventually getting one. I waited for a long-ass time before picking up a PS2, because the after-market prices held so strong for so long. (despite the ridiculously high supply) And I'm an insane collector who wants to get every console, whether it was actually good or not.

Overall this has been a great read. Seems like there is a lot of passion surrounding Nintendo. I think that says something. Love em or not, it's driven by some level of feeling. I don't see that for anyone else. I had that kind of passion for Sega, especially with the Dreamcast and to a lesser degree the Saturn. Beyond Nintendo most of my passion is for specific developers or series... but as much as I like Nintendo, I buy maybe 20% of what they publish. I'm still keeping my focus to what I find fun.

No one's going to look down on you here if you can't pony up for one of these things right now. We've all been there. I've waited on any number of consoles before eventually getting one
Definitely. I'm notorious for picking the dead bones of a system or waiting for a revision. My PSTV was bought during liquidations. My vita was bought as they were nearly gone from nearly every regular brick and mortar retailer. I went through the WiiU library months ago to round that out, but I didn't even touch the one my kids got until after getting into the Switch. I've even picked up a few more Wii games just because I wanted to play some of the hidden gems. I did get my first PSP during it's life... but it was the second model. My current PSP, a GO model, I got after picking up my PS3 (the last black friday before the PS4 came out). Picking the bones of systems is great. Unfortunately this thought process can backfire on certain genre and games. Getting a cheap copy of a great RPG later, MAY be difficult. Thankfully it's not bad on this last gen for a lot of it, but Nintendo published stuff... maybe you'll pay more than retail if the system was popular enough. The whole 20% prime discount on games (RIP) made me go ahead with the switch. I hadn't got a system that close to launch since the GBA (because I was hooked on Advance Wars from that E3 and decided I'd get a system so I wouldn't have to hunt one down later)... but I've been super picky about my purchases. I don't feel the need to play everything anymore. I just want the best of the best of what appeals to me the most as a gamer.

I get what you're saying when it comes to Nintendo burnout. They stick pretty closely to their giant IPs, and I can't blame anyone who's sick of seeing the same dozen or so characters over and over again. On the other hand, I'd argue that the quality of their games has never been higher. Over the past couple years, we've seen them come out with what is, in my opinion, their best Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, and Mario Kart games, one of their best mainline Mario games, and a solid Metroid. They've also built up a couple new series in Splatoon and Arms, and their collaborations with other devs have produced fun spinoffs like Mario+Rabbids and the Warriors games. Plus they've been actively supporting and publishing other non-Nintendo franchises like Xenoblade and Bayonetta. So yeah, if you're already burned out on Nintendo then none of this will matter much, but they're still churning out great stuff.

I get what you're saying when it comes to Nintendo burnout. They stick pretty closely to their giant IPs, and I can't blame anyone who's sick of seeing the same dozen or so characters over and over again. On the other hand, I'd argue that the quality of their games has never been higher. Over the past couple years, we've seen them come out with what is, in my opinion, their best Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, and Mario Kart games, one of their best mainline Mario games, and a solid Metroid. They've also built up a couple new series in Splatoon and Arms, and their collaborations with other devs have produced fun spinoffs like Mario+Rabbids and the Warriors games. Plus they've been actively supporting and publishing other non-Nintendo franchises like Xenoblade and Bayonetta. So yeah, if you're already burned out on Nintendo then none of this will matter much, but they're still churning out great stuff.
Aye, which is why slamming the Switch sounds utterly ridiculous.

Xenoblade 2 and Octopath Traveler are right up my alley, and I'm very much looking forward to Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the new Shin Megami Tensei game. The last two mainline Mario games (3D world and Odyssey) were also probably the best versions yet.

I do get tired of the $59.99 ports from yesteryear though. I see much of AAA PC gaming as having the same problem.

In fact, that's what started this whole conversation when you think back.

No, I am pointing out that I get frustrated when gamers like you attempt to dunk on Nintendo. And it's obvious the only reason you're doing it is because you can't currently afford to have more than one console. It's an elementary-school mentality, and one of the primary motivators of console-war bickering. You're desperately attempting to latch onto any excuse to dismiss a company like Nintendo, in order to justify your acquisition of a different platform. You yourself have numerous times pointed out that you currently don't own a Switch, and only just recently acquired a used Wii U. You're digging up the same old tired arguments, and airing them out in order to reaffirm that you made the right choice, and are not missing out for having not picked up a Switch. Same old story.
Your frustrated, because your arguments are beyond weak, as is your basis for why I state what I do. I've stated here many times my son has an NS, and I can play it anytime I want, but choose not to for the reason I have given here. So that negates your whole weak ass post, as I technically have an NS, and choose not to use it. How many here can say the same? I also have a Wii, PS3, and 360 currently in use.

I've included pics of my own NS collection of games(a few recent LRG aren't shown), and all are still sealed, waiting for the day I get a proper NS, or a refurb/closeout like I did with the U. I've also shown a few pics of my "N" coin-op cocktail machines, as money and funds is never an issue for me, I do like to save a buck, but I've spent tens of thousands on "N" products over the years, and my right to point out issues, is my past investment, which is also more than most here.

So please don't try to say how I can't afford something, so I want to piss on the parade, as nothing could be further from the truth. I want a once great company to get their shit together, and return to making quality games, and stop dicking around with these gimmick shit ass systems. And the shadow box Monopoly pic, also hangs proudly in my living room, as that's the fan I am, and have always been.

[attachment=30875:Misc N Pics September 2018 006.JPG]

[attachment=30876:Misc N Pics September 2018 003.JPG]

[attachment=30877:Misc N Pics September 2018 001.JPG]

[attachment=30878:Misc N Pics September 2018 005.JPG]

giphy.gif

If you criticize Nintendo that means you don't own any Nintendo consoles and can't afford them??? Cheapassgamer logic......

Some Nintendo fans(like some here)  believe there is this "Nintendo Quality" that doesn't exist anywhere else. If you've been gaming since the 80s and played a lot different consoles and their libraries it could be argued that the best games on NES, SNES, N64 and GC weren't even made by Nintendo. 

Haven't been keeping up with this thread, so sorry if this was already posted..

Kickstarter backers for Yooka Laylee will get a 10% off discount code for the Switch version. It'll only be live for the first 24 hours.

64-bit Kickstarter backers will get the opportunity to order a CE variant with a different cart color. It'll be available for a significant discount.. priced at $34.99

If you criticize Nintendo that means you don't own any Nintendo consoles and can't afford them??? Cheapassgamer logic......

Some Nintendo fans(like some here) believe there is this "Nintendo Quality" that doesn't exist anywhere else. If you've been gaming since the 80s and played a lot different consoles and their libraries it could be argued that the best games on NES, SNES, N64 and GC weren't even made by Nintendo.
That's beyond true, as I could argue several titles across all those systems that I think others did better, but there are many "N" titles that set the bar, and that's what made for better efforts by others(it was a win/win).

stuff from the LRG Discord.

Summarized details from the LRG Discord over the last several days with some info reiterated upon by @bunnybear.
-- On the slight chance anybody missed the adjustment, Salt & Sanctuary (PS4/Vita) has been postponed to September 14th. Although an official decision hasn't been made at the time of this posting, Narcosis (PS4) will likely get delayed launch alongside S&S, too.
-- Mystery Switch game for September 14th has been described as "super FURIous" in their latest tease. It'll apparently have a CE (est. $55-65) with a Steelbook case, new artwork for a poster and "some other goodies."
-- When asked whether a S&S CE was a possibility, Doug expressed that it would be "cheap." In relation to the conversation, this statement likely means that it wouldn't have a Steelbook case since those weren't too cheap to develop.
-- As expressed by Josh, the ToeJam PAX retro collectible will likely retail for $29.99USD with an expected shadow for today (Sept. 6th) without a prior product listing to make it fair for customers and avoid bot sniping.
-- Mercenary King & Flinthook (NS) will have reprinted cover art available for request. Meant to correct issues from weird art review shenanigans with Nintendo (ex. mismatched ESRB ratings on MK and lack of backside description on Flint).
-- A Yooka plush has been delayed due to manufacturing issues.
-- Golf Story CE won't be "super cheap" as a result of their collaboration with Fangamer; however, it was hyped as their best CE packaging to date with a retail price below $100USD with a trophy and possibly a golf ball as physical extras.
-- Mercenary Kings for PS4/Vita will have a manual and it's expected later this year.
-- The development team behind the untitled goose game from the latest Nintendo Indie showcase has apparently expressed interest in LRG.

Thanks for the updates Olengie, as I completely forgot this was the LRG thread, so it's good to get back on topic(sorry to all for the derailment).

A few interesting updates for sure, how is Furi, can anyone recommend it? It hasn't been on my radar, although I have seen some footage, it never really caught my eye. That goose game looks beyond interesting, so that is a for sure a possibility for me if it happens physical at some point. I'm curious to see what that Golf Story CE will have to offer, as that "won't be super cheap" scares me in regards to what will be included, but Fangamer often offers things of interest, so I'm hopeful as well. And the Mercenary Kings update was welcome, as I had almost given up hope the Vita version was still happening.

Thanks for the updates Olengie, as I completely forgot this was the LRG thread, so it's good to get back on topic(sorry to all for the derailment).

A few interesting updates for sure, how is Furi, can anyone recommend it? It hasn't been on my radar, although I have seen some footage, it never really caught my eye. That goose game looks beyond interesting, so that is a for sure a possibility for me if it happens physical at some point. I'm curious to see what that Golf Story CE will have to offer, as that "won't be super cheap" scares me in regards to what will be included, but Fangamer often offers things of interest, so I'm hopeful as well. And the Mercenary Kings update was welcome, as I had almost given up hope the Vita version was still happening.
I adored Furi when it released for "free" through PS+ in July 2016 and couldn't put it down until I had gotten the (still ultra-rare) plat. It can be a very difficult action game with some slight shooter aspects--you can shoot projectiles in between hand-to-hand attacks--, but defeating bosses in record time felt amazing. The music is also fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ5gtInauiI

I'm not sure Furi is worth the $30+ that LRG will likely charge, as I haven't played the Switch version to compare it to the PS4 version, but it's a reasonably short game with commendable replayability.

Complains about overpriced ports on the Switch.... collects nothing but overpriced ports on the switch. :bow:
And here we go again.........Nothing ever rest when it comes to this thread, does it?

I bought every single one of those games on discount/sale, so I haven't done a single thing contrary to any argument here I have ever made, but nice try anyway. Not a single one of those games was offered on the Vita(I think Sine Mora was, but it never got physical I believe), so I haven't played anyone of them, as my arguments have never been about "ports" in general, but the ones offered elsewhere cheaper, or the more expensive ones of the NS. I got each title here for what I would have paid for Vita versions, if they had ever happened(and a few for less than that). So as much as some of you would love to catch some form of hypocrisy on my part, it's never going to happen.

The same way I'm waiting on a cheaper or heavy discounted NS, I have done the same with the games. And while I could play everyone today if I so desired, I'm still a man of my word, and I won't get an NS for me until it meets my own personal requirements. So they will remained sealed until such a time happens(or I opt to sell them), but I like to support 3rd party developers, and I'm happy to buy any port at a fair price. Like always, I have facts on my side, where the trolls here just want to try to show some deeper level of their own warped realities. So feel free to proceed, as after all, don't let me keep you guys from your day jobs(haters).

-- When asked whether a S&S CE was a possibility, Doug expressed that it would be "cheap." In relation to the conversation, this statement likely means that it wouldn't have a Steelbook case since those weren't too cheap to develop.
Once again odd choice that they would go "cheap" on a CE for a game that has been "highly" anticipated but don't really expect anything less from their CEs anymore.

-- Golf Story CE won't be "super cheap" as a result of their collaboration with Fangamer; however, it was hyped as their best CE packaging to date with a retail price below $100USD with a trophy and possibly a golf ball as physical extras.
Also seems like this will also be one of the most pricey CE as well probably thanks to the extras.

Once again odd choice that they would go "cheap" on a CE for a game that has been "highly" anticipated but don't really expect anything less from their CEs anymore.
Yeah, I really don't understand that decision. But their CEs are pretty lackluster lately, so it's probably just as well. It'll save me a few bucks to just get a standard Vita copy.

Yeah, I really don't understand that decision. But their CEs are pretty lackluster lately, so it's probably just as well. It'll save me a few bucks to just get a standard Vita copy.
It is very simple decision. The Switch retail version is coming in October and features a download code for the sound track, a poster and world map poster all for $29.99. In order to compete with this release they need to stay around the a similar market price. I am curious to see what they have in store because I have been waiting for this Vita release for a long time.

Wow, hella blow up on Nintendo lately. Not gonna bother trying to find the post that started it.
I just wanna chime in on the N64. I don't think that system is overrated, I think it's just appreciated for pioneering a lot of things. 4-player standard, rumble, legit 3D platforming, console viability for multiplayer fps...
It also launched Mario Party and Smash Bros, which revolutionized party gaming, in my opinion.
It might not have the largest library, but it had some f*cking killer games.
Banjo, Conker, Paper Mario, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Kirby 64, Star Fox 64, Mischief Makers, Ocarina and Majora, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Puzzle League, Jet Force Gemini...
I realize that most of those games are 1st and 2nd party, but they pack some serious punches.
Lastly, I wanted to touch on Pokemon Snap. I read someone mentioning it as part of the beginning of the end for Nintendo... or for their hardcore games.
Honestly, a Pokemon Snap sequel has been one of my most desired games for over a decade. I want a legit, big-budget game with a single-player story and an online open-world where Pokemon behave naturally and you can freely photograph them and upload your pictures for others to rate. I want there to be extremely rare species and a dynamic ecosystem that means there's always something new and reasons to come back.
Pokemon Snap was one of the most relaxing and cathartic games I've ever played, and despite its linearity, I can always go back to it. I see SO much potential in a modern version of it. My imagination just runs wild with the amazing, spontaneous encounters that you could have. Like the idea of wading through some murky, deep waters to have a giant Gyarados appear from the darkness would be sick.
/fanboy

...anyway, the N64 was not Nintendo's best system, but it definitely made more of an impact and established a larger legacy than some give it credit for.

Any more word on the TJ&E drop? I’m swamped and haven’t seen anything about it other than it’s happening sometime today.
I've had my auto re-load on today but nothing has come up. If i see anything pop i'll make sure to update the thread but I am hoping it's not when I am in meetings this afternoon.

Uh, Pokémon Snap was one of the most original games of that generation. Super refreshing and easily the best Pokémon spin-off to date and I’ve played them all (except the last Colosseum game on Wii as I simply missed it, oh and the JP only phone game from way back for obvious reasons). I’ve even played Green and TCGII.

Uh, Pokémon Snap was one of the most original games of that generation. Super refreshing and easily the best Pokémon spin-off to date and I’ve played them all (except the last Colosseum game on Wii as I simply missed it, oh and the JP only phone game from way back for obvious reasons). I’ve even played Green and TCGII.
I agree, and it's probably the only Pokemon game I've ever enjoyed. LOL

I too enjoyed chucking tons of apples at the head of pikachu and charmander.. knocking them out.

I agree, and it's probably the only Pokemon game I've ever enjoyed. LOL
TCG was amazing and the sequel was even better. It’s an absolute shame we didn’t get that one. It fixed all the issues I had with the first one.

I actually like a few of the spinoffs as some were actually done well and not just shoveled out garbage with the Pokémon brand on it. The Pinball game had surprising depth and the first ranger game was fun but then they milked that dry with too many sequels too fast. I’ll admit I had the guilty pleasure of playing the most recent f2p puzzle game too much until it became too difficult to continue without paying. Also, and I’m sure I’m the only one in this, but I enjoyed Pokémon TV through to completion.

I’ve never considered myself a ‘Pokémon fanatic’ but in retrospect maybe I am. Lol

I adored Furi when it released for "free" through PS+ in July 2016 and couldn't put it down until I had gotten the (still ultra-rare) plat. It can be a very difficult action game with some slight shooter aspects--you can shoot projectiles in between hand-to-hand attacks--, but defeating bosses in record time felt amazing. The music is also fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ5gtInauiI

I'm not sure Furi is worth the $30+ that LRG will likely charge, as I haven't played the Switch version to compare it to the PS4 version, but it's a reasonably short game with commendable replayability.
Already bought the PS4 version long ago. I see no point in buying a Switch Port if its only for the sake of portability.

I’ve never considered myself a ‘Pokémon fanatic’ but in retrospect maybe I am. Lol
In all fairness, I haven't tried to many Pokemon titles, but the spin-off games do seem to hold the greatest appeal for me as well, as the main games I just never got in to. But I haven't tried one in a very long time either, so I may like some of the more recent titles, as they do seem to be more in depth than the earlier ones I tried.

I was speaking about the franchise mentality and business models associated with Pokemon Snap, not its intrinsic quality.  It could be a great game for all I know.  The point is that was when Nintendo really started to head down the path of exploiting franchises, selling numerous plastic peripherals to people (many of them useless), and also focusing on making spinoffs and cash grabs instead of focusing on developing main line games in their beloved franchises. 

When Pokemon Snap came out everyone wanted a real Pokemon game on N64.   It was largely seen as a disappointment.  I was there; I was 16.  Everyone was holding their breath for a feature length Pokemon RPG to play on the home television console.  Nintendo, seeing the success of Pokemon, instantly pigeonholed it into the "handheld only" market segment in order to sell more handheld hardware systems.  To this day, a traditional Pokemon RPG has never been released on home TV console.  It never materialized. 

Nintendo continues that franchising trend to this day by selling two different Pokemon 3DS cartridges upon every game release, three versions of the recent Fire Emblem Fates, and crappy Animal Crossing spinoffs instead of real games. (thanks in-part to lengthy development cycles, Wii U failure and the lack of foresight with generational cycles.)

The dichotomy of Nintendo is so strange.  How they can put in a half dozen years developing an amazing game with a wealth of content like BotW and then sell it for only $60.  But then so many of their other games are stopgap titles (low quality spinoffs), meant to fill in during the lulls of mainline releases, with very shallow gameplay experiences.  The standard deviation in quality from title to title is immense.  They have also gone for very long periods of time in the past without releasing any meaningful titles. 

bread's done
Back