Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
As an avid collector of retro games I can tell you that $40 is a very reasonable price for a quality repro cart. I usually see them between ~$25-50. Also, custom clear carts are usually sold at a premium. Retro game collecting has become quite an expensive hobby in the last few years.

I’m having to skip them as I have to make seriously deep cuts to my spending to pay for my upcoming wedding. Would love to pick them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is interesting to me. If you don't mind, what's the appeal of a repro cart like this for a retro collector? Why pay extra for this kind of thing when the originals are cheap and widely available, even in good condition?

Also, congrats on the wedding!

Holy shit those Star Wars editions are starting to sell out. With all the bitching and moaning on here, LRG's Twitter, basically everywhere, I thought they would take a while. Guess not. Star Wars fans will buy anything, literally.
While I still don't doubt that they'll sell out, we'll see how long they sit around at 6PM. They really are geniuses - if they put up less copies in the morning run, the "sell outs" can push some over the edge since we now have proof of possible future worth. Order now and you can at least get your money back if you change your mind, right? Only if they weren't mainly bought up by some very bad prospectors who are about to take a hit.

The blister packs I'd guess will end up fetching decent prices on Ebay. I'm not so sure about the CEs. It's not like they sold out in "Jak and Daxter" time.

This is interesting to me. If you don't mind, what's the appeal of a repro cart like this for a retro collector? Why pay extra for this kind of thing when the originals are cheap and widely available, even in good condition?

Also, congrats on the wedding!
Thanks for the congrats!

These carts are a bit of an odd case, as noted the original carts are readily available for less and as such they make a very strange repro choice. Most of the time repros are of games that either never released (regionally or at all depending) or of custom ROMs. Those should have obvious purpose at least. However, these SW carts don’t fit those parameters so the value comes in them simply being a display collectible. Since they are a limited print and are SW that’s really where the value lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't quite get that either... I didn't even know the "repro cart" market was that big. I've been aware of 1Am8Bit's releases. They made a ton of the Mega Man 2 carts and may never sell out at $100 a pop. Their releases are what I personally would be looking for in a retro repro package. If they landed on a franchise more important to me ("Casltevania"), I would not think twice about it.

If LRG had done anything with the "Super" Star Wars series, I probably would've felt more compelled, no matter what overpriced crap they throw in there (which I think is the real target here - why bother with putting effort into the contents when someone would buy it even if the box was empty?). I just don't get why the target market for this stuff would care about coins and enamel pins. I would be surprised if anyone bought the CE because they were pleased with the contents. When they add stuff like that, I almost take it as Josh and Doug just laughing at the customers - it's almost aggressive. What do people do with enamel pins and coins (I know most will never even open the box, but let's pretend they are making stuff to get used)? Wear the pin? Display the coin? I'm waiting for the day when they include toilet paper with the "Star Wars" logo. I'd only choose the CE because it's in an actual box as opposed to that ridiculous blister pack. That box would have to be pretty "premium".

They removed the quantity limit on the Power Rangers CE's, so no update to how many are left since you can put as many as you want in your cart well beyond the limited number.   I guess the embarrassment of how bad it was selling was too much.

Also, as far as Star Wars goes, the ebay listings are a pretty good indicator that speculators dominated.  How many actually went up for sale in the first batch is a good question.  Did a batch get pulled for Lucasarts/Disney?   Whatever the case, the 6pm batch will be interesting to watch.  Ultimately even if this stuff sells at a profit (which  a few Bounty Hunter standards sold for $35 each.. which is odd to take a loss on this stuff)... I don't want any more hassle of buying games to just end up selling them on later.  So this shit is easy to resist.   Don't get fooled into buying this stuff if you legitimately don't want it.   Complete copies of the NES games (with better box art) go for well under $100 each.

Not surprised that the Star Wars stuff didn't sell out fast, by LRG standards. Anybody that wanted any of those titles could have had them easily without rushing. Usually when stuff in the morning run doesn't sell out quickly then the afternoon run's sales are pretty slow. My thinking on the Star Wars games is that even if they don't sell out completely, LRG still will have garnered a good deal of publicity from offering the Star Wars games, as well as have a feather in their cap for the future.

I have zero interest in paying an exorbitant amount of money for repros of mediocre games that are readily available in their original form, but apparently there is enough interest from Star Wars collectors to make it all worth LRG's effort. I hope people are not buying these with hopes of them becoming super valuable down the line. LRG are releasing so many different titles now, and in many cases in not incredibly limited numbers versus demand for said titles, that their games are not going to be worth a whole lot down the line in most cases.

I think people buying LRG games expecting gold mines in the future are in for a rude awakening. Just buy them if you want physical copies. I have been supporting the shmups and VNs myself with some other ones like Toe Jam and Earl.

I hope people are not buying these with hopes of them becoming super valuable down the line. LRG are releasing so many different titles now, and in many cases in not incredibly limited numbers versus demand for said titles, that their games are not going to be worth a whole lot down the line in most cases.
I think people buying LRG games expecting gold mines in the future are in for a rude awakening. Just buy them if you want physical copies. I have been supporting the shmups and VNs myself with some other ones like Toe Jam and Earl.
If anyone is even remotely thinking about using these games as some investment needs their heads examined, and on top of that they haven't being paying much attention for the last few years. Outside of these last very limited Vita releases, and an occasional PS4/NS title, most of LRG offerings in recent times can be had for less than what they where originally offered for.

While I had no doubt this SW stuff would sell out at some point, I never saw any great demand either, but that's cool, as not every "limited" item needs to be the most desired of all time(sell out in seconds/minutes). If LRG is making funds offering something others want to add to their collections, or just want a decent little collectible, why would I care? I'm sure over time, stuff like this will only grow in demand, as more potential buyers find out about said items coming to market.

The NES and GB games are fine, but I still have no idea how they are going to sell over 10,000 copes of Bounty Hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Power Rangers CE's, Josh Mentioned on twitter in the same thread that any units unsold of the CE's just wouldn't be manufactured.  So they won't be stuck with unsold inventory.   Glad they aren't under contract for a specific number of units.

On the Power Rangers CE's, Josh Mentioned on twitter in the same thread that any units unsold of the CE's just wouldn't be manufactured. So they won't be stuck with unsold inventory. Glad they aren't under contract for a specific number of units.
That's normally not how it works when they produce these things, so I'm not sure I buy that.

Maybe 2,000 was the sweet spot for those NES/GB CEs?   That Bounty Hunter CE is still available, so I guess "Star Wars" doesn't necessarily guarantee a quick sell out for everything.  

That's normally not how it works when they produce these things, so I'm not sure I buy that.
It is odd, but given the game isn’t done and they supposedly sold a lot of standalone copies maybe that gives them some flexibility to lower the number of CEs. What would be kind of nice is to get more info on the final production size for each game since so much now is open preorder which makes it difficult to see how limited these limited run games really are.

It’s LRG that sold that many copies. Not downloads.

On the Power Rangers CE's, Josh Mentioned on twitter in the same thread that any units unsold of the CE's just wouldn't be manufactured. So they won't be stuck with unsold inventory. Glad they aren't under contract for a specific number of units.
Keep in mind that in the 17K sold figure Josh is quoting he is likely counting the number ordered from the unnamed B&M retailer that will be selling it. Figure a minimum of 10K for that retailer (5K for each platform). Then divvy the remaining 7K across both standard and CE for Switch/PS4. I think the Switch sold around 2K CEs and the PS4 around 800 CEs before they took away the minimums, so that's about 2800 allotted to the CEs on both platforms and 4200 sold across the standard editions across both platforms.

I am totally estimating a lot of the numbers, but when you factor in all the copies being sold to the B&M retailer that will be carrying it, the sell through to regular LRG customers doesn't seem particularly impressive.

Keep in mind that in the 17K sold figure Josh is quoting he is likely counting the number ordered from the unnamed B&M retailer that will be selling it. Figure a minimum of 10K for that retailer (5K for each platform). Then divvy the remaining 7K across both standard and CE for Switch/PS4. I think the Switch sold around 2K CEs and the PS4 around 800 CEs before they took away the minimums, so that's about 2800 allotted to the CEs on both platforms and 4200 sold across the standard editions across both platforms.

I am totally estimating a lot of the numbers, but when you factor in all the copies being sold to the B&M retailer that will be carrying it, the sell through to regular LRG customers doesn't seem particularly impressive.
Just conjecture at this point. We’ll never really know.

You guys should check out Sega 16 thoughts and opinions on LRG. Some of you are earning the title of being called a collectard.

You guys should check out Sega 16 thoughts and opinions on LRG. Some of you are earning the title of being called a collectard.
OH NO! A random internet stranger out of 7.5 billion people of which I'll never know, meet, or care about typed some words online about me/us? Lordy lordy whatever will I do? My life is over and my feelings shattered!

OH NO! A random internet stranger out of 7.5 billion people of which I'll never know, meet, or care about typed some words online about me/us? Lordy lordy whatever will I do? My life is over and my feelings shattered!
Enjoy your $30 dollar burger king glitchfest indie games.

Don't think its been mentioned here yet but LRG is planning a July 4th blowout sale (similar to their January 1st sale) where excess stock of a lot of older titles will be put up, along with blind boxes again.

Don't think its been mentioned here yet but LRG is planning a July 4th blowout sale (similar to their January 1st sale) where excess stock of a lot of older titles will be put up, along with blind boxes again.
Thank you for mentioning this! There are a few titles I've had my eye on that have been sold out for awhile now!

Has anyone received their Lumines Remastered Block Rockin’ Beats editions yet? They sent me a tracking number a little over a month ago with no traction so I’m just curious.

Are you sure it's happening? I believe Douglas tweeted a couple weeks back that they didn't have time to pull stock, so it has been postponed.

Are you sure it's happening? I believe Douglas tweeted a couple weeks back that they didn't have time to pull stock, so it has been postponed.
Oh ok. I was just going by what they said in their last Fireside Chat which I finally had a chance to watch. It may very well have changed since then (a little over a week ago).

Hope they show what's going to be the price of the Transistor CE tomorrow. This has been the only game I want to buy a copy on each platform, but I don't want to spend $100+ if I don't have to.

Edit: Also looks like Giga Wrecker Alt is up on Best Buy if anyone is interested. The alt box art looks like the CE art, which I like better anyway.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/giga-wrecker-alt-nintendo-switch/6358567.p?skuId=6358567

Hope they show what's going to be the price of the Transistor CE tomorrow. This has been the only game I want to buy a copy on each platform, but I don't want to spend $100+ if I don't have to.

Edit: Also looks like Giga Wrecker Alt is up on Best Buy if anyone is interested. The alt box art looks like the CE art, which I like better anyway.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/giga-wrecker-alt-nintendo-switch/6358567.p?skuId=6358567
Hate to say but I’m about done supporting LRG any time they have a print run with Best Buy (talking CEs here). The BB version always ships before the one I ordered months before. Why am I scrambling to order a release when it equates always being last in line? Seriously LRG what’s the point to direct business to you?

Hate to say but I’m about done supporting LRG any time they have a print run with Best Buy (talking CEs here). The BB version always ships before the one I ordered months before. Why am I scrambling to order a release when it equates always being last in line? Seriously LRG what’s the point to direct business to you?
To provide their struggling business with interest free loans

FWIW giga wrecker alt doesnt ship from BB til late July, which I believe is about what LRG was targeting for release?

Reviews on it were mediocre anyways. I was glad i skipped it when they were selling it before we even knew whether the game was any good or not

Admittedly, the logic doesn't make much sense, but buying from LRG is just ensuring you get a copy, as there are no guarantees with BBY. Granted, that hasn't become an issue yet, but you never know. I also stopped buying games you could get through Best Buy though, as I can save on shipping.

I couldn't find what you were referring too. A link would be helpful if you want people to check out something.

As far as that term, I don't think we have anyone left that actually buys every release on every platform. There was plenty of negativity/confusion in the logic behind releasing repros of common cheap and fairly mediocre quality games. Still, there was no link to read it... so maybe it was about something else?

I don't think they brought up anything we haven't discussed/argued about in this thread. The gist of what they are discussing there is the concept of limited production runs of games across all sites and the artificial inflation of interest in titles. It's less about LRG directly and more about these businesses. Ultimately these business only survive by being limited. The one thing LRG has at least done as a benefit is change to unlimited open preorders for vanilla switch games and some PS4 games and they stopped publishing the production size of releases with open preorders so there's no rarity information to drive up demand. That makes it where everyone that wants the game can at least get the vanilla version and the secondary market has suffered driving the flippers to target the vita (which will be over soon enough). Plus with BB carrying some games that has eaten into those trying to exploit the games as being rare.

The person's question about what they can do to stop limited print games is ... absolutely nothing but watch and see what happens.

LRG coming out july 9th 12pm ET

D-fFQjYXkAERmhK.jpg

Well, that's long past due to say the least, as I actually contacted Soedesco directly and never got a reply. I had the physical EU version ages ago, especially since I never heard back from anyone about a US release.

Like always, I would love to get the artbook here, but unless this is Play-Asia priced($35, which is very doubtful), this will be an easy pass. I'm pretty sure this won't be a part of LRG official US run count, so another reason for me to pass this one over. Decent game though, as it had a unique gameplay mechanic, but it didn't always work as well as it should. So a cool idea like Portal, without the solid execution of Portal. LOL

That was a long time coming for Teslagrad.  I contacted the dev ages ago about it and there was no NA physical planned at the time.   The deeper I got into the game (it was free on PS+ or it was so cheap i bought it) the more the physics seemed to be inconsistent... so I just kind of forgot about it.

So I ordered ToeJam & Earl, and when the tracking showed that it had arrived it wasn't in my mailbox. I contacted LRG about it, and they told me they would only send a replacement if I could provide a written statement from USPS stating that the package had been delivered to the wrong address. It took 4 visits to the PO until they finally gave that to me. I went to the house that it was supposedly misdelivered to, but they told me it couldn't have been delivered to their house because they didn't have a mailbox. LRG ended up sending me a replacement, and then, about a week after I received that, a woman who lived a couple houses down from where USPS said they misdelivered to brought the original package to me. It was opened but everything was there. So I had to make a fifth trip to the PO to return it. Just wanted to vent that.

So I ordered ToeJam & Earl, and when the tracking showed that it had arrived it wasn't in my mailbox. I contacted LRG about it, and they told me they would only send a replacement if I could provide a written statement from USPS stating that the package had been delivered to the wrong address. It took 4 visits to the PO until they finally gave that to me. I went to the house that it was supposedly misdelivered to, but they told me it couldn't have been delivered to their house because they didn't have a mailbox. LRG ended up sending me a replacement, and then, about a week after I received that, a woman who lived a couple houses down from where USPS said they misdelivered to brought the original package to me. It was opened but everything was there. So I had to make a fifth trip to the PO to return it. Just wanted to vent that.
Sure hope you charged them for return shipping on that one. Other wise you're too nice and gullible.

Wayforward's River City Girls just announced for PS4, NSW, X1, PC with LRG doing the physical release.

River City Girls will launch digitally for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam, GOG, and Humble Bundle on September 5 for $29.99, publisher and developer WayForward announced. A physical edition will also be released via Limited Run Games.
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1146468827678437376

bread's done
Back