Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Ok, so what's the full story on Revenge of the Bird King? I saw it was been auctioned and proceeds given to the Video Game History Foundation, I thought it was just a rare game and a cool idea. So was it never actually sold as a physical game anywhere and they just made their own copies? Is it actually official then? I don't follow LRG enough to know all the details.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The story is that Joe, who is a current LRG employee and has been since the beginning I believe, created the game on his own and LRG published it digitally for the Vita and Switch. He apparently was going to publish it digitally for the PS4, but never did. Supposedly, when LRG submitted the game for ESRB rating for the Vita (I believe this is the game they are still planning to give to Vita full-setters or near full-setters), Joe also tagged on a PS4 version to the rating application. Once he had the rating, he then ordered the minimum run of physical copies from Sony for the PS4. He now owns all of those copies and gave two to Josh at LRG which Josh tweeted about which is how this became public. Joe gave a few away earlier this week to the winners of a bizarre art contest he started on Twitter and then put one up for auction with the proceeds going to a charity. That copy is now at over $430 on Ebay. Joe has said he doesn't plan to sell the game and hasn't decided what to do with the other copies.

As I said earlier, I find it offensive that LRG employees are now publishing their own limited runs of games for their own personal use. It undercuts their business model of preservation as well as the idea that they are trying to get these games out to the public in physical form. It's ironic here that the charity is an organization that preserves video game history and yet it's impossible for people who may actually want to play the game on a PS4 to do so because the creator has hoarded all of the copies. In any event, it's not a good situation and Josh as usual is acting as though he doesn't understand why this has anything to do with LRG.

Poop game by some nobody at LRG, who cares.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't care but, i can see how a collector of ps4 would be upset.

These aren't bootleg games but officially licensed ps4 games. Collectors can't buy the game due to the way it is being handled so it makes their hobby of obtaining a fullset now hopeless/pointless. So all their efforts till now was for nothing.

It sux, but that's just how hobbys are sometimes. It's just a hobby, time to move on i guess?

I find it offensive that LRG employees are now publishing their own limited runs of games for their own personal use. It undercuts their business model of preservation as well as the idea that they are trying to get these games out to the public in physical form.
Their business model was their sales pitch to get people to part with their money. Almost nothing from their initial pitch is still true today. Maybe the single production run and never producing games again, but to some technical degree that too has been broke when they started doing preorders for games they already had a batch ordered or on hand.

Still, it's a business. They can do a single copy variant of any Switch game pretty easily.

Are you mainly bothered because you collect for PS4 or is it just the idea that they would purposefully make something and not distribute it?

Their business model was their sales pitch to get people to part with their money. Almost nothing from their initial pitch is still true today. Maybe the single production run and never producing games again, but to some technical degree that too has been broke when they started doing preorders for games they already had a batch ordered or on hand.

Still, it's a business. They can do a single copy variant of any Switch game pretty easily.

Are you mainly bothered because you collect for PS4 or is it just the idea that they would purposefully make something and not distribute it?
Here's the thing, I'm not one of these people who has an issue with their business model. I've known from day one that LRG is running a business and there are certain things that aren't necessarily palatable about what they have to do to be successful, including limiting print runs, selling a high volume of products, branching into other collectibles, bundling certain items to drive sales and profits, encouraging a resale market, etc.....I'm also very accepting of the fact that they have grown and evolved and anyone thinking they were going to be successful selling 1,500 print run titles once every few months that were hand packed by Douglas was deluding themselves.

My issue here is that they set up certain parameters for their business day one and have generally stuck to those parameters. One of those parameters was that they would do limited print runs of games with the intention of selling those games to collectors who could potentially build a full collection on a particular platform. As long as you showed up and made a reasonable effort, you could buy any of their releases. Creating a physical release of a game with no intention of ever making it available for sale feels like a breach of one of the fundamental rules of their business model. It feels like a form of exclusion and elitism that doesn't fit with their stated goals of preserving games physically while also building a highly successful and profitable company. I mean, why should anyone bother to collect all of their games when they have created one that is literally unobtainable except to a tiny number of contest winners and the deep pocketed winner of the auction? What assurance do collectors have that this won't continue to happen? I mean, would people be so understanding if another staff member did a run of Vita carts for a title and said they would never sell them? There are literally people who have spent thousands of dollars buying every LRG Vita release to full set and LRG themselves have encouraged it by vaguely talking about a free game for doing so. To me, it just feels like they have changed the rules of the game four years in. I mean they haven't broken any laws but they have certainly betrayed a trust that existed and the fact that they are trying to brush this off as "well, it's not really us, it's our employee and he can do what he wants" is just absurd.

All this exclusivity talk makes me want that Wu-Tang Once Upon a Time in Shaolin album
I want that infinitely more than I want this lmao. LRG went from such an indie sweetheart to heartless corporation so quick. I mean anyone realistic expected it anyway but it was way quicker than I expected.

I want that infinitely more than I want this lmao. LRG went from such an indie sweetheart to heartless corporation so quick. I mean anyone realistic expected it anyway but it was way quicker than I expected.
Let's pool our money and buy it back from the Feds.....assuming they still have it

What are the 3 remaining Vita games? Right now I'm just waiting for the Papers, Please release.
limited-run-ps-vita-games-2019-2020.jpg

I mean they haven't broken any laws but they have certainly betrayed a trust that existed and the fact that they are trying to brush this off as "well, it's not really us, it's our employee and he can do what he wants" is just absurd.
That makes it pretty clear why this is such a big deal. I appreciate the explanation.

What are the 3 remaining Vita games? Right now I'm just waiting for the Papers, Please release.
Others have said it, but to clarify - Rocketbirds 1 & 2 will be sold at the same time. So the three remaining release days will contain four games. One is Super Meat Boy, one is Papers Please, and the last is Rocketbirds 1 + Rocketbirds 2.

It's technically four games, plus the purported freebie. Rocketbirds, Rocketbirds 2, Papers Please and Super Meat Boy.
Have they elaborated how to even be eligible for the freebie or how the process works?

I remember at first they said it was only to those with a complete collection then I started hearing otherwise...

Others have said it, but to clarify - Rocketbirds 1 & 2 will be sold at the same time. So the three remaining release days will contain four games. One is Super Meat Boy, one is Papers Please, and the last is Rocketbirds 1 + Rocketbirds 2.
just to clarify LRG have said that paper please would be sold some time in 2020

Have they elaborated how to even be eligible for the freebie or how the process works?

I remember at first they said it was only to those with a complete collection then I started hearing otherwise...
No, Josh has refused to answer the question on the last few fireside chats because he says that the topic causes too much controversy whenever he provides an answer. The reality is that if he was just clear about the process, there would probably still be some outcry, but at least the flames wouldn't also be stoked by confusion and speculation.

I see the PS4 Bird King copy for auction on eBay or whatever, but they better still release the vita version to full set collectors like they originally said. Kind of affects me personally since I not only have a complete LRG vita set but also a complete North American vita set in general. If they don't and horde them to drip slowly for insane auctions or contests, that might actually be the last nail in the straw for me for buying stuff from them (I've thought this many times but now that vita is kill I can actually following through with it).

Honestly wondering the legality of this whole situation. Seems like publicly announcing a big reward for making purchases and then not following through on that reward is grounds for a potential class action lawsuit.

just to clarify LRG have said that paper please would be sold some time in 2020
They've also heavily implied that Super Meat Boy will be released alongside Super Meat Boy Forever (the sequel), which will likely be next year. So unless Team Meat pushes out SMBF or LRG changes their minds on Papers Please then we'll probably have two of the remaining three Vita release days in 2020.

They've also heavily implied that Super Meat Boy will be released alongside Super Meat Boy Forever (the sequel), which will likely be next year. So unless Team Meat pushes out SMBF or LRG changes their minds on Papers Please then we'll probably have two of the remaining three Vita release days in 2020.
oh WOW I didn't know about that

They also surely want to have the last NA vita release. Nicalis supposedly still has their stock to sell as well. So this could run till 2021 with these companies sitting on games long since produced to try and be the final official NA vita release.

That would be pretty crazy if true since I've been able to just go to Best Buy for awhile and get it...published from them. I just want the LRG cover art man.

Wow the jealousy is strong in here.

I know I see people trying to justify it but let's be honest, this all boils down to "someone got something that I can't get". Its one stupid game out of how many released every year? I mean yeah it would be cool to have the one copy of something but I dont so big deal.

I bet if it had 0 value no one would be upset, or if every person upset was the one person that owned it they wouldn't be bitching.

If people actually played there LRG copies than i'd be surprised. I'm going to start playing some of mine for sure. Now where's that Breach and Clear?

If people actually played there LRG copies than i'd be surprised. I'm going to start playing some of mine for sure. Now where's that Breach and Clear?
I open and play almost every one of mine. The only things I have still sealed are Thomas was alone (I had it digital) and jak and Daxter CE (impulse buy I want to trade eventually).

I got into LRG for the physical media. I never cared about rarity. I just hate digital and wanted to support the idea. I wanted open preorder from the start.

I don't buy to collect. I buy to play. Stopped collecting basically after the PS2/XBOG/GCN generation. I may keep some games sealed until I get around to playing them but definitely NOT buying games merely to own.

I know some here treat Videogame like an investment opportunity. There are many reasons why that's a bad idea, which I'm not going to get into here. I don't subscribe to that. Any urgency to own an LRG or any physical media item is for the reason that it may be hard to find later on and I want to watch/play it eventually.

I don't hesitate to play mine, but the issue is that I have far more games than I have time to play (which isn't just an LRG issue).

For my two cents on the collecting discussion - I do have a Vita full set because that was a fun hobby before LRG bastardized the physical library and we're so close to the end now that I've fallen into the sunk cost dilemma. Beyond that I only buy games I intend to play, but I do tend to buy them closer to release when I can afford to in order to support the developers. However, buying games with hopes of them turning into some treasure trove is a dumb idea. For every Earthbound and Stadium Events there are thousands of games below their MSRP, and some LRG titles are already going that way on eBay.

I originally thought everyone was talking about the Vita version of Bird King, not the PS4 one.  I find it hard to believe there are many people who own a full PS4 collection.  There are so many games for that system.  I know there are a few people out there who probably are trying but it has to be very few.  Vita on the other hand has a managable 300+ games so I think there are more full set collectors there.

Either way, the Vita saga is going to easily be stretched into 2020, maybe even 2021.  It would be nice if LRG and Nautilis would just release their final games since they are already in-hand.

BTW - are they still producing carts in R2 and R3?  I see PA has released a few titles recently but wasn't sure if those were already in hand or if Sony still lets them make new games.

I was joking mainly. I buy games to play too though my copy of Breach and Clear will likely land in someone else's collection. I bought that on a whim ages ago when limited printing wasn't the norm. I do play my games but leave them sealed until I play. I have way too many now which I'm doing a massive purge of to make games I have only games I want to play and not just stuff I got cause it looked interesting or was cheap , of which I have a lot to go through.

I was joking mainly. I buy games to play too though my copy of Breach and Clear will likely land in someone else's collection. I bought that on a whim ages ago when limited printing wasn't the norm. I do play my games but leave them sealed until I play. I have way too many now which I'm doing a massive purge of to make games I have only games I want to play and not just stuff I got cause it looked interesting or was cheap , of which I have a lot to go through.
I bought breach with the intention of playing it but it went to my backlog and I never got around to opening it. So I bought the next one and the next one. But never got around to playing any of them. So I have like the first 30 vita lrg all still sealed and when I realized I was buying but not playing I stopped buying the vita games.

I bought B&C to support printing physical versions of digital only games in the hopes the success of the one title would lead to games I actually wanted. I ended up with a couple games I really wanted from LRG, but no real heavy hitters.

I tend to keep games sealed till I play them except for some switch games because of gold coins. If I own a game digital or there is a demo, I’ll play that before opening a game except for the series I’m most serious about.

My purchasing now is restricted to what games I know I’ll play and mostly in series I already love. Resting deals and most hype has been great. So DQ-XI-S is my most recent game and DQ I/II/III Asia is my next. Yakuza Collection 3/4/5 next year will follow unless something pops up that I want (like Cat Quest 2 physical on switch). Shenmue 3 I did the Kickstarter for so I just have to wait on it.

The only reason I still buy physical at all is because I don't trust digital when with DRM and the idea that you don't buy games anymore, you buy the "license" to play them which sickens me. The only way I'd buy digital is if I don't care to begin with or if it's super cheap (or even free).

Still waiting for my copy of Transistor to ship though. :whistle2:

The only reason I still buy physical at all is because I don't trust digital when with DRM and the idea that you don't buy games anymore, you buy the "license" to play them which sickens me. The only way I'd buy digital is if I don't care to begin with or if it's super cheap (or even free).

Still waiting for my copy of Transistor to ship though. :whistle2:

Same here. I never buy digital games unless they are free or dirt cheap. I always buy physical games because if I am going to pay for it I want it to actually belong to me to do with as I please.

You always were just buying a license for a game, digital just gives publishers greater control over distributing the license.

Coming into this current generation, I was strictly for physical games (except for download exclusives) but changed my stance a few years ago. When games like Call of Duty BLOPS 4 are basically just a 100mb install key, the disc is just a piece of plastic that lacks manuals and other inserts and it's going to get constantly updated. And updates are and certain titles are unplayable unless they get updated.

DRM really is garbage though.

You always were just buying a license for a game, digital just gives publishers greater control over distributing the license.
You use COD BLOPS 4 as an example, but almost every single physical game can be played without having to connect to the internet and perform an update. People who buy physical are hardly "just buying a license for a game."

bread's done
Back