Live DoTW Deadliest Warrior | READ OP FOR MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='utopianmachine']Yesterday, I downloaded the demo to see if I wanted to take part of the sale, and I remembered why I don't like Sonic. I love exploring environments and appreciating every detail, collecting all the little things along the way. Sonic discourages this, or at least, begs you to accomplish this goal at a flighty speed.
[/QUOTE]
You CAN do this in the Genesis titles and there's absolutely nothing discouraging you from doing so. You get a ten minute time limit. There's branching paths. You can explore. You can collect. There's people who who try to collect every single ring in a level. There's also people who try to do the speediest runs they can.

Accomplishing a speed run of Marble zone is fantastic, not because you're blazing and going fast and SONICOMGOMGOMG GOTTA RUN NOW but because it's a level that's almost entirely built for pure, traditional platforming. When you master the game, you can play that level like you're playing on Green Hill Zone act 1. This is why the classic Sonic games are indeed genuine classics. You can choose to play the game like a platformer, or you can go balls to the wall as fast as possible. And when you do the latter, and you get the to the point of never taking a hit throughout the whole zone, it's a nice feeling of accomplishment.

Sorry, but it's so tiring to hear reviewers or gamers still hold the misconception that Sonic games from the 90s were Hold-Right affairs. Sonic games didn't used to play like Sonic Rush.

Next week's DOTW has been announced by Major Nelson:

Critic’s Choice: Next weeks Xbox LIVE Deals of the week are some Arcade favorites:
Defense Grid, 400 Points
PB Winterbottom, 400 Points
Rocket Riot, 400 Points
Darwinia+, 800 Points
Chime, 240 Points
Poker Smash, 400 Points

Personally, I've been waiting for PB Winterbottom to go on sale!

Amazing these sales are now so common, its getting to the point I need to hold off on all XBLA purchases until it goes on sale, kinda like the iphone app store.

Poker Smash is a forgotten gem, hope this sale gets people to try it out.

Yeah, I really wish I had just waited and not bought Rocket Knight the day it came out...

I did pick up the rest of my missing Sonic titles today though!

[quote name='bh47']Next week's DOTW has been announced by Major Nelson:

Critic’s Choice: Next weeks Xbox LIVE Deals of the week are some Arcade favorites:
Defense Grid, 400 Points
Rocket Riot, 400 Points
Darwinia+, 800 Points
Chime, 240 Points
Poker Smash, 400 Points

Personally, I've been waiting for PB Winterbottom to go on sale![/QUOTE]

I will update when I get home.

FYI: The September issue of OXM will have a sale list similar to the one in July.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Interesting. Hopefully if I don't get the 1 Month Free I can still go ahead and upgrade my Silver to Gold for $1 (good enough for me). In a perfect world I'd get my free month, let it expire, then upgrade for a 2nd month for $1. I'd then apply the 12 Month Card to my account, meaning a whopping 14 Months of Gold for $30.99. :applause:[/QUOTE]

You were right. Because I bought 1600 points using my credit card, it locked me into the Silver Membership (I didn't get my first 30 days free). Regardless, I got my 1st Month of Gold for $1 (their current promotion), and turned off my auto-notification. I'll then wait until the month ends, and apply the 12 Month Gold membership card I ordered from Amazon to my account (in fact I just ordered two more $29.99 memberships from E-bay, receiving 8% Bing Cashback too). Overall, I can't complain. I saved enough money buying Castlevania SOTN, Zombie Apocalypse, and Castle Crashers to offset the $7.99 value of one free month of Gold.

Defense Grid, 400 Points
Rocket Riot, 400 Points
Darwinia+, 800 Points
Chime, 240 Points
Poker Smash, 400 Points

Yay, in for PB Winterbottom.

Awesome...just won 800 points...PB Winterbottom and Defense Grid are mine! Hope one of my family members win another 800 so I can get Darwinia+.

[quote name='sadboy']Yeck. Turning poker into a puzzle game. I'm all-out![/QUOTE]

Poker Smash is an absolutely fantastic puzzle game. :p

This bugs me. Microsoft sells:

400pts -- $4.99
800pts -- $9.99
4000pts- $49.99

So, instead of discounting the price as you buy a bigger quantity, you actually pay more. (4.99+4.99 = 9.98 < 9.99) Ok, it's just a penny more, but that adds up to a whole $.09 if you buy 4000pts, which would be $49.90 (not 49.99) if you buy 10 x 400pt packages.

Defense Grid, 400 Points
Rocket Riot, 400 Points
Darwinia+, 800 Points
Chime, 240 Points
Poker Smash, 400 Points

Winterbottom and Chime are definitely purchased. :applause:

I've been waiting ~years~ for a sale on Poker Smash! Finally! I'll be definitely grabbing it, Chime and Winterbottom.... Darwina is tempting, but I'd really hoped for a 560 point sale on it....

[quote name='Pucker']This bugs me. Microsoft sells:

400pts -- $4.99
800pts -- $9.99
4000pts- $49.99

So, instead of discounting the price as you buy a bigger quantity, you actually pay more. (4.99+4.99 = 9.98 < 9.99) Ok, it's just a penny more, but that adds up to a whole $.09 if you buy 4000pts, which would be $49.90 (not 49.99) if you buy 10 x 400pt packages.[/QUOTE]
Lol 9 cents...please tell me this a joke? Buy a card off Amazon in advance then lol...they are often discounted at least a couple bucks.

with these sales continuing lately back to back, no need to buy an xbla game @ release/launch date anymore i'll be waiting. going to get pb winterbottom and am skeptical about darwinia+ hmm...poker smash and chime are a must buy they're great games!

In for PB Winterbottom. I'd like to try out the demo for Poker Smash and Chime before making up my mind but I'm currently without a 360. Hopefully, GS comes through with my Slim pre-order early next week.

PB WINTERBOTTOM IS AWESOME! But short =/ The good thing is that you do something new constantly, it never stagnates into the same puzzle solving but "omg bigger" for hours.

I'll look into darwinia, was kind of interested in that before. Already have PB, rocket riot and defense grid. Amazingly 2/3 of those games have actually been finished! Besides the extra levels, in both.

Chime was worth it at 400 points, especially with the charity thing when it was released (what, last year already? God, I'm old).

In for PJ and Darwinia+

If you're interested in Darwinia +, the PC version is a better deal on Steam right now.

header.jpg

The Introversion Complete Pack has Darwinia & Multiwinia (the two games that make up Darwinia+) and Defcon and Uplink. The pack is on sale for $5 until July 4 through Steam.

Not that I'd discourage anyone from getting the awesome XBLA version, but it's another option.

[quote name='Pucker']This bugs me. Microsoft sells:

400pts -- $4.99
800pts -- $9.99
4000pts- $49.99

So, instead of discounting the price as you buy a bigger quantity, you actually pay more. (4.99+4.99 = 9.98 < 9.99) Ok, it's just a penny more, but that adds up to a whole $.09 if you buy 4000pts, which would be $49.90 (not 49.99) if you buy 10 x 400pt packages.[/QUOTE]

Lol. I don't think any CAGer EVER EVER bought a 4000 pt card at regular price, so this argument is pointless. I had amassed over 10,000 pts back when Target was giving away free 1600 cards with purchase of anything Xbox.

[quote name='eastx']If you're interested in Darwinia +, the PC version is a better deal on Steam right now.
[/QUOTE]

Well my points are bought at half off for now so 800 is only 5 bucks, I also don't have or use steam. Thanks for the suggestion but yeah if I buy this it'll be from live.

There is a link in the first post that says Chime $$$ might not be going to charity. I don't live in the UK and can't find any sources other than that site. I'll investigate more and post what I find

Just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU, reddjoey, for keeping this thread constantly updated. I look forward to this thread every week.

[quote name='vidpower']just wanted to chime in and say thank you, reddjoey, for keeping this thread constantly updated. I look forward to this thread every week.[/quote]

+1

Poker Smash is similar to Tetris Attack/Puzzle League/Panel de Pon, which is my favorite puzzle series ever. I paid full price and still don't regret it.

Critic's Choice sounds fantastic. I'm pretty sure that I'll pick up the games that are missing from my collection. I just wish my 1600 Microsoft Points from Amazon would have shipped by now. It looks like I'm going to have to pick up some points locally from retail or get a redeemable online code from Amazon or elsewhere. I guess this is the price I pay for using all my points during the Inventory Blowout Sale.

[quote name='VidPower']Just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU, reddjoey, for keeping this thread constantly updated. I look forward to this thread every week.[/QUOTE]

No doubt! Small downloadable titles are one of the coolest things this generation for me. We're getting some great games and it's really nice to see some digital platforms like this and steam pushing sales when they could so easily not(like most of MS's own games on demand). Thanks for the continued updates. It seems like a week is a really long time but sometimes I could easily miss a title or two if I was forced to look them up on my own all the time.

Much thanks to the OP for keeping this thread updated.

I'm kicking myself for buying Winterbottom at full price, as I personally did not enjoy that game. Rocket Riot gets old kind of quickly, but it's certainly worth five bucks, and has great local and online multiplayer. Chime was definitely worth the 400 points, and it will still be worth 240. I'm not a big RTS or tower defense fan, so I'll be skipping Darwinia and Defense Grid. I've heard great things about both, though. Finally, I'll absolutely be picking up Poker Smash. I've been close to buying it several times now, but I've been holding out for a sale. Between Poker Smash and Puzzle Quest 2, I think I'll be set for puzzle games for a while.

[quote name='Vortextk']Well my points are bought at half off for now so 800 is only 5 bucks, I also don't have or use steam. Thanks for the suggestion but yeah if I buy this it'll be from live.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend you start using steam. seriously, check out the sale they have going on now. You can't call yourself a CAG if you aren't taking advantage of steam sales.

Eh, I hardly use my computer for gaming, so I don't bother. Never played a ton of pc outside of way too many MMO hours and emulators for my fudged systems like nes/snes. The only thing I'm playing on it now is a 10+ year old MMO, looking forward to diablo 3 and...that's it.

Does anybody know the cheapest way to get Microsoft Points right now? Is it the $16.54 for 1600 Microsoft Points on Amazon? I exhausted my last stockpile during the Inventory Blowout Sale and it looks like I'll definitely need more than the paltry 40 Microsoft Points tied to my account now.

Thanks to reddjoey for consistently updating this thread as sales are revealed. The Critic's Choice DoTW looks to be spectacular. I wasn't expecting to need Microsoft Points again so soon after the Inventory Blowout Sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back