Live DoTW Deadliest Warrior | READ OP FOR MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']this...
I've been meaning to upgrade mine for forever, but I'm just too cheap, so now with only a little over 2gb's left I'm forced to choose carefully... eventually I'll upgrade :x[/QUOTE]

those with small HDs can always delete some of your other games AS LONG AS THEY HAVE SEPARATE SAVE FILES. a lot of arcade games have the save file in the program file so deleting those will erase progress, but for the others i'd delete them to pick up new games. just a thought for those worrying about space.

[quote name='mtxbass1']back about 2 years ago, Zune offered some albums at 99 points each. I bought 3 of them. Oy...[/QUOTE]

That's going to eternally haunt you. I would suggest calling Microsoft and in good conscience asking them to add 3 points to your account. Mentioning the fact that you want to spend 240 for a game on sale this week might help your case. Try holding back the urge to tell them it's cruel and unethical until the very end...

I was thinking of getting PBWB, then I played the demo. He can keep his stupid pies.

I got Defense Grid when it was on sale awhile back and i'm not a huge tower defense game fan but I really enjoyed it and I would suggest you buy it! For me, i'll be getting PB Winterbottom and Darwinia+ too. Darwinia has avatar awards by the way :p

Dueling Analogues says it will come out this week on XBLA (along with 9 others). They don't list Ancients of Ooga (which is confirmed) so that is unsettling for reliability. That and they are a web-comic not a news source.

Official page http://www.konami.com/games/ygo5ddecade/ doesn't show any date, nor is there a page for it on xbox.com

I'd say stay patient

[quote name='token2k6']eh, fine, 815mb, I'll get it for the mere 240pts. thanks for the input guys! Never got into Lumines even though I have a sealed Plus copy for the PS2 and a UMD for the PSP around here somewhere..go figure![/QUOTE]

The comparisons to Lumines (Supernova is the version I bought on PS3) makes this an easy no buy for me. I bought Lumines Supernova for PS3, and I doubt I've played it more than 5 minutes. I didn't care for it at all, and from the video I watched on IGN, this is more of the same. I get the same impression from it, which is "what the hell is going on?"

I pass, even though 240 points is a hell of a deal!

Having a problem that I hope someone here can help me out with. I let my gold account lapse to silver a while ago, but I wanted to grab a couple of these games on sale, so I activated one of those free 48 hour gold trial cards that I had lying around. It's still listing me as having a silver account on the My XBox blade on the dashboard, and all the sale games are still showing their normal, higher prices.

It told me to sign out and sign back in for the changes to my account to take place, so I did. I also tried shutting the 360 off altogether for 5 minutes or so and coming back, but it's still showing as silver. I've never tried using one of these trial cards before; is there some simple thing I'm overlooking, or do these trial cards not entitle you to discounts on sale games? (it says right on the card that it does entitle you to exclusive discounts)

Thanks for any help.

The 48hr trial cards won't let you buy the sale priced games at the discount prices. I thought they worked that way also, letting you have access to all gold benefits but they don't.

[quote name='Danimal'] do these trial cards not entitle you to discounts on sale games? (it says right on the card that it does entitle you to exclusive discounts)[/QUOTE]

Uhyep. That thar there be yer problem, mate.

[quote name='Kerig']That's going to eternally haunt you. I would suggest calling Microsoft and in good conscience asking them to add 3 points to your account. Mentioning the fact that you want to spend 240 for a game on sale this week might help your case. Try holding back the urge to tell them it's cruel and unethical until the very end...

I was thinking of getting PBWB, then I played the demo. He can keep his stupid pies.[/QUOTE]

Hell if that was me I would rather just give 7 points to charity, I am forever haunted by this odd gamerscore because of fuck ing Luxor 2 that came with my Arcade unit

[quote name='JVorhees#1']The 48hr trial cards won't let you buy the sale priced games at the discount prices. I thought they worked that way also, letting you have access to all gold benefits but they don't.[/QUOTE]It should at least list me as a gold member now on the "My XBox" blade, though, shouldn't it? I haven't tried playing any multiplayer yet (all my friends are currently offline anyway) but since I'm still listed as silver, I wonder if it would even let me do that.

Well, I guess I'll just check the forums to see if there are any deals on the 12 month gold cards. So I'll basically be paying $30-35 to save $10 or so on a couple XBLA games. :whistle2:s

[quote name='basis']can anyone recommend me getting Defense Grid when I already own it on the PC?

and i did not complete it on the PC even... admit I got bored.[/QUOTE]

This may sound backwards, but I actually liked Defense Grid more on Xbox than on a pc. The controls seemed more natural and the graphics seemed sharper. Maybe I was biased since I tried the Xbox version first. As always, try the demo but I can't see how anyone with the slightest interest in tower defense games wouldn't get $5 of enjoyment out of DG.

48 hour trial cards are second class citizens. You can't even send a message.

By the way, I've never anticipated an XBLA release before. When do they (PQ2) get posted?

Sweet! I had no idea Defense Grid had new map packs released this month... Four packs with each having 2 maps and an achievement for a buck. Looks like I'll be fending off aliens again once I come up with some more points.

[quote name='joeyatog']Looks like I'll pick up P.B. Winterbottom and Defense Grid. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Rocket Riot too! That game is awesome![/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Rocket Riot but for some reason I got stuck on level 61? (Blue Ninja). It looks like I might have to blind buy Poker Smash and Chime.

[quote name='mtxbass1']back about 2 years ago, Zune offered some albums at 99 points each. I bought 3 of them. Oy...[/QUOTE]

If you bought 3, it should end in a 3.

300-99-99-99=3

[quote name='WhiteCastleRun']If you bought 3, it should end in a 3.

300-99-99-99=3[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I meant earlier. My balance was 1033.

so these deals are over next week but on what date mon or tuesday at
12:pm right/afternoon.

ordering a card from amazon and wanna know if ill make it or just cancel the card before they ship it.

it says it will be here tuesday morning.

Hello everyone. I just read this over at IGN:

"From July 6 to July 12 Microsoft is holding Liveapalooza on Xbox Live. During this time music game add-ons such as albums, track packs, and songs for Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Band Hero, and Lips will be put on sale."

This isn't confirmation from Major Nelson, but see no reason why IGN would report it if it was inaccurate.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1102718p1.html

[quote name='youenvy']so these deals are over next week but on what date mon or tuesday at
12:pm right/afternoon.

ordering a card from amazon and wanna know if ill make it or just cancel the card before they ship it.

it says it will be here tuesday morning.[/QUOTE]
Order your points online, especially if all you need is 400 or 800 points and you're in a crunch. http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/microsoftpoints.htm

[quote name='fei33']Hello everyone. I just read this over at IGN:

"From July 6 to July 12 Microsoft is holding Liveapalooza on Xbox Live. During this time music game add-ons such as albums, track packs, and songs for Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Band Hero, and Lips will be put on sale."

This isn't confirmation from Major Nelson, but see no reason why IGN would report it if it was inaccurate.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1102718p1.html[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mattBLiTZ']MajorNelson.com puts Blacklight: Tango Down at 1200 points / July 7.[/QUOTE]

I'm updating. I'll update again when he posts the music sale details.

[quote name='fei33']Hello everyone. I just read this over at IGN:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1102718p1.html[/QUOTE]

I hope they put Pixies - Doolittle is on sale for Rock Band.

Man, I am a sucker for XBLA games, especially now that my 360 won't play disc games and is pretty much only good for Netflix and XBLA. It doesn't help that there are so many good XBLA games out there, or that I've stockpiled 16,000 points for less than half price.

I've been blind-buying most of the well-reviewed games in genres I like. I'm kind of torn on Defense Grid and Poker Smash. I still need to think about whether they're worth getting. I've read a lot of the opinions in this thread, but more thoughts pro and con on these games are welcome.

I have to say Chime is a STEAL at this price and is a lot of fun. Plus some of the money goes to charity!

I got Poker Smash a while back when they had it up on sale. It's an interesting twist...kind of reminds me of Columns meets Poker.

I'm torn between Defense Grid and PB Winterbottom. Loved both demos...I could see myself getting frustrated at both but having fun at the same time. And here I am with only 500+ points :(

[quote name='RockinTheRedDog']I have to say Chime is a STEAL at this price and is a lot of fun. Plus some of the money goes to charity!

I got Poker Smash a while back when they had it up on sale. It's an interesting twist...kind of reminds me of Columns meets Poker.

I'm torn between Defense Grid and PB Winterbottom. Loved both demos...I could see myself getting frustrated at both but having fun at the same time. And here I am with only 500+ points :([/QUOTE]

More play-time/value with defense grid. Tons of modes ect... Each map has its own set of modes, Some maps will have like 5 or something while others are like 2 or 3.

[quote name='madcyantist']Are the Defense Grid map packs on sale right now as well? If so what are their usual price?[/QUOTE]

Not on sale. Usual price is 80 MSP.

No one is talking about Darwinia+ does it suck that much or what? It is the only game that has been on sale to date that I didn't buy on the same day it went on sale. I'm stuck on it and don't even know if it is really worth the 800 point price tag. The game seems kinda dull and boring in the demo but I wanna know from someone who owns it instead of it's worth the price tag. Avatar awards included yeah, but I didn't get what alot of the point of game is about really.

[quote name='intoxicated662']No one is talking about Darwinia+ does it suck that much or what? It is the only game that has been on sale to date that I didn't buy on the same day it went on sale. I'm stuck on it and don't even know if it is really worth the 800 point price tag. The game seems kinda dull and boring in the demo but I wanna know from someone who owns it instead of it's worth the price tag. Avatar awards included yeah, but I didn't get what alot of the point of game is about really.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't own it so fwiw I agree with you that the demo seemed extremely dull and did not present the game as even worth the reduced 800 pt price tag. However, it has been well rated by most reviewers so perhaps there's something more to the game beyond the glimpse that the demo provides. Personally, I'll hang onto my $10 to get two games on sale at some point down the road.

[quote name='mattBLiTZ']MajorNelson.com puts Blacklight: Tango Down at 1200 points / July 7.[/QUOTE]
crap, forget tower defense. I'm running low on points, and with the future releases of Monkey Island 2 and now this, I'll need more points. Luckily I think the Rock Band DLC is gonna suck until RB3 comes out.

I got Chime and pretty much fell in love with it. I'm only on the second song, but it's been great fun thus far. Definitely for fans of Tetris and great audio. On that same note, the second song is amazing. Need to look for an MP3 of it tomorrow.

Chime doesn't offer alot like lumines or other puzzle games. However, you're paying $3 and you are getting your bang for your buck believe me. I bought it for 400 points @ launch and don't regret it. I'll try the darwinia demo out a bit more and see if it's worth purchasing. So far doesn't look good, no one is talking about it at all and don't know anyone who even played the original one.

Just in case you guys aren't following the steam thread, until July 4th you can pick up Introversion's entire catalog(4 games) for $5. It includes Darwinia, Multiwinia, Uplink, and Defcon. None of the games seem that taxing.. I would bet they'd run fine on nearly any laptop even if you dont have a gaming PC.

[quote name='joeyatog']Looks like I'll pick up P.B. Winterbottom and Defense Grid. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Rocket Riot too! That game is awesome![/QUOTE]

I second that opinion on Rocket Riot... a very underrated game. Do yourselves a favor and at least try the demo. Defense Grid is great too but plenty of people have already said that here. Just needed to send more love Rocket Riot's way.

I bought Winterbottom last night. Didn't think I was going to like it but the demo sold me. I don't always enjoy puzzle games like this (hated Braid) but this one just felt right... from the graphics to the gameplay to the writing/rhyming to the sounds/music. It's a steal at this price!

I'll probably pick up Chime too. The music seems great and the gameplay is solid, if a little repetitive. But for $3, how can I say no?

[quote name='smoger']Just in case you guys aren't following the steam thread, until July 4th you can pick up Introversion's entire catalog(4 games) for $5. It includes Darwinia, Multiwinia, Uplink, and Defcon. None of the games seem that taxing.. I would bet they'd run fine on nearly any laptop even if you dont have a gaming PC.[/QUOTE]

I LOOOOOVE Defcon. That needs a live release. An iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch release.

Looooove Defcon.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Puzzle Quest 2 today! :whee:[/QUOTE]

Never played the first one, but I have a good feeling I'll like this. Definitely trying the demo. Also, the new Ninjabee game and Toy Soldiers DLC today!

Nice shirt, btw.

Already own Defense Grid from a prior sale and I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks recommending it. I'm not a big tower defense guy, but this is a great entry in that genre and there's a lot of play value here. I like the story/narration and the interesting, incredibly detailed environments and units.

Ran through demos for just about everything else last night. Darwinia+ was alright, but the demo didn't really convince me that it was worth 800 points on sale. Given its "classic" status, you might need to have had some prior experience with it to really appreciate it.

I really expected to like P.B. Winterbottom more than I did. It's fun and I like the play mechanics and production design, but I could see it getting frustrating and boring over time in the very same way Braid did for me. Not sure if I'll bite on this one or not before the sale is up.

Chime clicked with me immediately. LOVE the music and the gameplay is easy to get into (though I don't fully understand what's going on yet). Doesn't hurt that it's dirt cheap and gives you a 50-point achievement just for picking it up. Bought that one immediately.

I played the Rocket Riot and Poker Smash demos a while back, during a previous sale, and again found them just okay. I have way too many GREAT XBLA games backlogged to kid myself that I am going to play the middling ones, even at sale prices. It's especially hard to spend the points with A-list titles like Puzzle Quest 2, Monkey Island 2: SE, and DeathSpank on deck, plus DLC for Toy Soldiers and Defense Grid. And that's just in the next two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poker Smash is a game that seems to be overlooked among all the titles on sale right now. I was on the fence about it, but once I played the demo (I feel the same about Chime), it was an easy buy.

Semi-off topic, but has anyone else watched IGN's montage for the 2010 Summer of Arcade? That video got me pumped & I'm amazed at how far XBLA games have come. All of those games look like must own titles (especially Limbo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back