- LOCK - Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - LOCK -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audios sounds great for Die Hard 4.
I have zero interest in the movie, but I love anything with a good sound mix.
I may rent it.

Why does HighDefDigest review The Santa Clause 3 and not The Fly?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1093/livefreeordiehard.html

Geko, you need to get that movie to test out your system. :D[/quote]
I will be getting it (all 4, actually) regardless--huge fan of the series--but probably will hold off watching it until the PS3 has DTS-HD support.

Otherwise I have a 24-bit 1.5Mbps lossy track, which I've recently been told isn't good enough. :lol: Actually, come to think of it, this would be a good track to base some comparisons on.

[quote name='dallow']I'd love to get only the first Die Hard on BD.[/quote]

They are all sold individually as well as in the collectors set. No Spiderman tomfoolery here.

So no one's picking up Hairspray or no one is owning up to it?

JK...be interesting to see how a girlie film does on High-Def since its mostly guys who purchase High-Def films.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So no one's picking up Hairspray or no one is owning up to it?

JK...be interesting to see how a girlie film does on High-Def since its mostly guys who purchase High-Def films.[/quote]
Wasn't Dreamgirls a "girly" film?

And no, I have no interest in Hairspray. If my wife wants it I'll buy it for her.

[quote name='geko29']I will be getting it (all 4, actually) regardless--huge fan of the series--but probably will hold off watching it until the PS3 has DTS-HD support.

Otherwise I have a 24-bit 1.5Mbps lossy track, which I've recently been told isn't good enough. :lol: Actually, come to think of it, this would be a good track to base some comparisons on.[/quote]
They are number 1 on my Christmas List. The pictures are great on avsforums and I don't own them on DVD so they are perfect addition for my collection, although I have to listen to them in the puny 640kpbs DD :cry:
I would get Hairspray, but I have bigger priorities right now. :lol:

I would say Dreamgirls is girly, and there are couple others like Devil Wears Prada.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']They are number 1 on my Christmas List. The pictures are great on avsforums and I don't own them on DVD so they are perfect addition for my collection, although I have to listen to them in the puny 640kpbs DD :cry:[/quote]
You shouldn't have to, unless your reciever is so old it doesn't support DTS. And IIRC you have a fairly recent HTIB (at least I think that was you), so you should be able to listen to the 1.5Mbps DTS core contained in the DTS-HD Master Audio track. full-bandwidth DTS can be sent via either optical or HDMI, and any receiver made after about 1998 should be able to decode it.

[quote name='geko29']You shouldn't have to, unless your reciever is so old it doesn't support DTS. And IIRC you have a fairly recent HTIB (at least I think that was you), so you should be able to listen to the 1.5Mbps DTS core contained in the DTS-HD Master Audio track. full-bandwidth DTS can be sent via either optical or HDMI, and any receiver made after about 1998 should be able to decode it.[/quote]
Really? That's fantastic, didn't know that. I have the Yahama YHT 380 and I bought it this year so it should decode it as you said.
http://yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=553475

theres the spec for it, it supports DTS.

Yeah you're definitely all good with that setup. You'll be listening to the same soundtrack as me, and 95%+ of the people on AVS, as people who have a full DTS-HD MA chain are still VERY rare.

In other news, Disney did something out of the ordinary. They voted to ratify the 51GB HD DVD. Since the formation of the BDA, not one Blu-Ray backer who is a member of the DVD forum (pretty much all of them, I think) has ever voted in any issue regarding HD DVD. They ALWAYS abstain.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20071119150942_Disney_Votes_for_51GB_HD_DVD_Media_Approval.html

HD DVD now has both of the things that Disney demanded from HDM: interactivity (HDi that Disney themselves helped develop) and 50GB discs. It's way too early to be making any predictions or speculating on conjecture, but this is all interesting to watch, that's for certain.

[quote name='geko29']Yeah you're definitely all good with that setup. You'll be listening to the same soundtrack as me, and 95%+ of the people on AVS, as people who have a full DTS-HD MA chain are still VERY rare.

In other news, Disney did something out of the ordinary. They voted to ratify the 51GB HD DVD. Typically Blu-Ray backers who are a member of the DVD forum (pretty much all of them, I think) abstain from any and all votes regarding HD DVD.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20071119150942_Disney_Votes_for_51GB_HD_DVD_Media_Approval.html

HD DVD now has both of the things that Disney demanded from HDM: interactivity (HDi that Disney themselves helped develop) and 50GB discs. It's way too early to be making any predictions or speculating on conjecture, but this is all interesting to watch, that's for certain.[/quote]
That is strange... if they helped develop HDI wtf is taking Blu-ray camp so long? Either way, I don't see 51gb discs being put into production any time soon. Also, they are pretty well invested in Blu-ray now, IIRC they own a Blu-ray plant so I don't see them leaving any time soon. And geko, any news if these discs will work on new players?

Among Hollywood studios HD DVD is supported by New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Studio
As a Blu-ray supporter I have to laugh when an article has to state two Neutral studios as ones that support one side, to even it out with Blu-ray.

And I was at a Target today, and they were sold out of every version of Die Hard Blu-ray, except number 2. :lol:

That's not entirely true. They also list Warner as supporting Blu-Ray. Don't know why they don't list New Line though....

But it's not like they said "HD exclusives and neutrals support HD DVD" and "Blu-Ray exclusives support Blu-Ray". The statement just should have read like this (my addition in bold):

Among Hollywood studios HD DVD is supported by New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Studios, whereas Sony Pictures, Walt Disney, Warner Bros., New Line Cinema and Twentieth Century Fox endorse Blu-ray.

As for Disney developing HDi and Blu-Ray not having interactivity yet.....well, that'd be because the BDA voted down HDi in favor of BD-J, which in its basic form sorta works on most players, but its advanced form is a complete unknown.

But that brings up another angle other than possible neutrality for this move. Disney could be firing on their own ship in order to get what they want. Basically saying "look, you know what we want. We just voted to make it possible with the other guy. You gonna get your shit together now or do we have to take a walk?"

[quote name='geko29']That's not entirely true. They also list Warner as supporting Blu-Ray. Don't know why they don't list New Line though....

But it's not like they said "HD exclusives and neutrals support HD DVD" and "Blu-Ray exclusives support Blu-Ray". The statement just should have read like this (my addition in bold):

As for Disney developing HDi and Blu-Ray not having interactivity yet.....well, that'd be because the BDA voted down HDi in favor of BD-J, which in its basic form sorta works on most players, but its advanced form is a complete unknown.

But that brings up another angle other than possible neutrality for this move. Disney could be firing on their own ship in order to get what they want. Basically saying "look, you know what we want. We just voted to make it possible with the other guy. You gonna get your shit together now or do we have to take a walk?"[/quote]

And I don't like the wording of that article at all HD-DVD is supported and these studios Endorse....... I just dont like it!
Very true, I just don't get it because Disney pretty much runs BDA with Sony and if they wanted it you THINK they would have it by now.
And BTW, I got streaming to work. Problem is? PS3 doesn't support 75% of the codecs my movies are encoded in. :(
and the PS3 doesn't support FLAC. :(

And geko, what's your opinion of DTS-MA then? I hear it's the best codec if you support it, but with so few codecs do you think it was a good idea? I would think yes because it seems like the DTS-Core is still pretty amazing.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And geko, what's your opinion of DTS-MA then? I hear it's the best codec if you support it, but with so few codecs do you think it was a good idea? I would think yes because it seems like the DTS-Core is still pretty amazing.[/quote]
I think it's by far the most elegant setup, because it provides both legacy and advanced audio--with both tracks painstakingly mixed by the sound engineers--all in one stream. TrueHD also supports backwards compatibility, via in-player downmixing for HD DVD and externally linked (sometimes hidden), seperate DD tracks for Blu-Ray. But DTS's solution wins in the packaging department because everything's all in one place.

There should be absolutely no difference between the sound quality of the full DTS-HD MA stream, and a TrueHD or PCM soundtrack, because regardless of the format, you still wind up with the exact same PCM result. MA is a hair less efficient than TrueHD (and thus takes up more space), but I personally think the tradeoff of having the core is worth it. Unfortunately, as with the DVD years, DTS is not on the ball. They didn't have their specs completed in time, and thus failed to successfully lobby for mandatory support in either format, which cascaded into less support from the studios (except Fox).

In a perfect world, I would have liked to see both formats launch with DTS-HD HR and MA as the primary advanced codecs, due to their flexibility. Long-term, I'd still like to see it go that way. However, short term, I want my movies in TrueHD or PCM, because both of my players support them.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So no one's picking up Hairspray or no one is owning up to it?

JK...be interesting to see how a girlie film does on High-Def since its mostly guys who purchase High-Def films.[/QUOTE]

My wife just insisted I pick up Transformers for her, but she did see harispray in theaters as well.

[quote name='geko29']I think it's by far the most elegant setup, because it provides both legacy and advanced audio--with both tracks painstakingly mixed by the sound engineers--all in one stream. TrueHD also supports backwards compatibility, via in-player downmixing for HD DVD and externally linked (sometimes hidden), seperate DD tracks for Blu-Ray. But DTS's solution wins in the packaging department because everything's all in one place.

There should be absolutely no difference between the sound quality of the full DTS-HD MA stream, and a TrueHD or PCM soundtrack, because regardless of the format, you still wind up with the exact same PCM result. MA is a hair less efficient than TrueHD (and thus takes up more space), but I personally think the tradeoff of having the core is worth it. Unfortunately, as with the DVD years, DTS is not on the ball. They didn't have their specs completed in time, and thus failed to successfully lobby for mandatory support in either format, which cascaded into less support from the studios (except Fox).

In a perfect world, I would have liked to see both formats launch with DTS-HD HR and MA as the primary advanced codecs, due to their flexibility. Long-term, I'd still like to see it go that way. However, short term, I want my movies in TrueHD or PCM, because both of my players support them.[/quote]

Sounds like DTS-HD MA is the best then, a shame more companies don't support it.

Isn't that old news geko?
Disney has been voting for the past year on issues for that side.

I like DTS-HD MA as well, no matter how nice the Dolby tech is over at AVS.
I still can't hear it though.... c'mon PS3 decoding...

[quote name='dallow']Isn't that old news geko?
Disney has been voting for the past year on issues for that side.[/quote]
Could be. That was not my impression upon reading the story, but it appears they may have voted on stuff in the past. Sorry about that.

[quote name='dallow']I like DTS-HD MA as well, no matter how nice the Dolby tech is over at AVS.
I still can't hear it though.... c'mon PS3 decoding...[/quote]
Yup, waiting for that as well.....

And since we were talking about anime earlier, Ghost in the Shell is out on Blu-Ray in Japan. Unfortunately, it apparently sucks:

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6449.php

Surround mix from the last DVD release is gone. Picture quality is crap (noisy) despite being an AVC encode in the high 30mpbs on average. Comes in a standard DVD case (why?). No extras. And it costs $93, not including international shipping.

fuck you bandai.

3 minute loading and unskippable ads on die hard collection yay

i spend $85 on something and can't even skip the ads, i hate fox

been reading it doesn't work on all players too

[quote name='rsigley']3 minute loading and unskippable ads on die hard collection yay

i spend $85 on something and can't even skip the ads, i hate fox

been reading it doesn't work on all players too[/quote]
What player do you have?

And I have been reading that no you can't skip ads, but this is common, and that it works fine on all players now except the sammy 1200.

And I just finished watching Transporter, and I love mindless action flicks like this on Blu-ray. This and Crank are just fun movies to watch and some of the action scenes make you laugh they are so ridiculous.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And I ahve been reading that no you can't skip ads, but this is common[/quote]
Whether it's common or not, it's totally unacceptable. I have yet to find an HD DVD or Blu-Ray in my collection that has unskippable promos (granted, I haven't watched about a third of them yet). If I do, no more movies from that studio.

I haven't found the reports of unskippable ads on the Die Hard series yet. If there are, they're coming off my shopping list. I won't pay $100 to be forced to watch ads. Hell I've paid a few grand over the past 8 years in order to skip them...

[quote name='geko29']Whether it's common or not, it's totally unacceptable. I have yet to find an HD DVD or Blu-Ray in my collection that has unskippable promos (granted, I haven't watched about a third of them yet). If I do, no more movies from that studio.

I haven't found the reports of unskippable ads on the Die Hard series yet. If there are, they're coming off my shopping list. I won't pay $100 to be forced to watch ads. Hell I've paid a few grand over the past 8 years in order to skip them...[/quote]
Don't most DVD's have unskippable ads? and I thought there are some on Pirates movies you can't skip (if you can, the normal skip button doesn't work, unless I am doing something wrong)

and from the AVS forums I am reading, I don't see anything about Ads, just that they don't work with the 1200 because Samsung hasn't released the firmware for it yet.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']What player do you have?

And I have been reading that no you can't skip ads, but this is common, and that it works fine on all players now except the sammy 1200.

And I just finished watching Transporter, and I love mindless action flicks like this on Blu-ray. This and Crank are just fun movies to watch and some of the action scenes make you laugh they are so ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

i have the ps3, it takes about 2-3 mins to load

there's a progress bar that keeps filling up for some reason

i never had a blu ray or hd dvd with unskippable ad's before, the only ones i had on regular DVD some of the MTV films DVD's

[quote name='rsigley']i have the ps3, it takes about 2-3 mins to load

there's a progress bar that keeps filling up for some reason

i never had a blu ray or hd dvd with unskippable ad's before, the only ones i had on regular DVD some of the MTV films DVD's[/quote]

What firmware version do you have? There's nothing about it on the AVS forums, people said they have put the movie in and it has played without any issues.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Don't most DVD's have unskippable ads? and I thought there are some on Pirates movies you can't skip (if you can, the normal skip button doesn't work, unless I am doing something wrong)[/quote]
I think Disney used to do that on their DVDs (at least I remember people complaining about it), but I've never watched one, so I wouldn't know for sure. When I popped Pirates 2 in the PS3, I don't remember there being trailers that I couldn't skip. I'll have to check again.

I do remember some old DVDs that disabled the skip button during ads, but they didn't disable the menu button, so I'd get around it that way.

[quote name='geko29']I think Disney used to do that on their DVDs (at least I remember people complaining about it), but I've never watched one, so I wouldn't know for sure. When I popped Pirates 2 in the PS3, I don't remember there being trailers that I couldn't skip. I'll have to check again.

I do remember some old DVDs that disabled the skip button during ads, but they didn't disable the menu button, so I'd get around it that way.[/quote]
Tricky Tricky. ;)

Shouldn't we be complaining about more relevant things like Fox/MGM charging 40$ for Catalog titles? :lol:

And what do you think the Chances of The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur coming out? Ten commandments is a movie that could pull me over to the HD-DVD side, and Ben-Hur would be an awesome Blu-ray movie. Why oh why does it have to be MGM? :cry:

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Really? That's fantastic, didn't know that. I have the Yahama YHT 380 and I bought it this year so it should decode it as you said.
http://yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=553475

theres the spec for it, it supports DTS.[/QUOTE]

You probably know this, but a mistake a lot of people make is they set the DVD player to send the signal in PCM and not Bitstram or whatever. Then its not DTS enabled and the receiver doesnt pick it up as DTS.

So howcome everytime I set my ps3 to output in pcm it always in 2.1 but when i select bit stream its dolby 5.1?

'splain.

[quote name='InuFaye']So howcome everytime I set my ps3 to output in pcm it always in 2.1 but when i select bit stream its dolby 5.1?

'splain.[/quote]PCM is raw uncompressed sound.
The max/limit that optical will send PCM is 2.0.

Dolby Digital is a compressed format, and can have it's full signal sent over optical.

You only want to set your PS3 on PCM when you have an HDMI 1.1+ receiver so you you can get full multichannel lossless sound. (at least 5.1)

wow the die hard set was a tad dissapointing.. i may just buy the new one.. still thinking about it..

the star trek set looks might impressive though..

I've kinda been afraid of this for a while. I'm hoping Warner goes exclusive one way or another to hopefully give one format enough momentum to end it.

I found this funny and yet sad:
[quote name='Ruined']Blu-Ray Disc Association sinks to new low with childish YouTube attack ads

Just when you though you've seen it all, it has been confirmed that the Blu-Ray Disc Association has launched (un)professional viral attack ads against HD DVD on YouTube:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_id=11591

Desperation has set in, perhaps, with no answer to the $199 HD-A3?[/quote]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I found this funny and yet sad:[/QUOTE]

Love how they mention Blu-ray movies play in the PS3...yeah, no shit, thats the only reason you're format is still here :lol:

The new Onkyo HD DVD player is shipping and should be in stores in the next few days. Venturer's player apparently has already begun shipping to Wal-Mart (in Canada at least) and is rumored to sell at $149 everyday price. If all this holds true it is now Toshiba, Onkyo, Venturer vs Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and Panasonic. The amount of CEs making HD DVD players just got bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back