- LOCK - Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - LOCK -

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='GizmoGC']The new Onkyo HD DVD player is shipping and should be in stores in the next few days. Venturer's player apparently has already begun shipping to Wal-Mart (in Canada at least) and is rumored to sell at $149 everyday price. If all this holds true it is now Toshiba, Onkyo, Venturer vs Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and Panasonic. The amount of CEs making HD DVD players just got bigger.[/quote]

Why, HD-DVD's lineup really scares me compared to Blu-rays! :roll:

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Why, HD-DVD's lineup really scares me compared to Blu-rays! :roll:[/QUOTE]I know, I've never heard of Sharp, Samsung, Pioneer OR Panasonic, but I know for a fact that Onkyo and Venturer make quality and respected products.

[quote name='TimPV3']I know, I've never heard of Sharp, Samsung, Pioneer OR Panasonic, but I know for a fact that Onkyo and Venturer make quality and respected products.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you're living under a rock if you have not heard how fantastic Onkyo products are. But hey, diss whatever you want to make you're format seem viable I suppose. I see you have a PS3, no wonder why you support Blu-ray :lol:

I see the PS3 matters now. Wonder how long before that changes.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Wow, you're living under a rock if you have not heard how fantastic Onkyo products are.[/QUOTE]

It's not entirely unreasonable to not know who Onkyo is or how reliable their products are. This is the Wal-Mart crowd we are talking about here. I don't even know how reliable they are, and, I'm almost certain my knowledge on this hi def war is far more than the average Wal-Mart shopper.

[quote name='GizmoGC']But hey, diss whatever you want to make you're format seem viable I suppose.[/QUOTE]

For someone who supports both formats the format with 1/2 the marketshare of its direct competition, that's pretty sound advice to dole out. I only wish you would heed it yourself.

I can't believe it was JUST Toshiba all this time....

Onkyo I trust with audio. I don't know too many people on AVS that use their DVD players though.
I'm sure it'll be a fine product though.

[quote name='GizmoGC']The new Onkyo HD DVD player is shipping and should be in stores in the next few days. Venturer's player apparently has already begun shipping to Wal-Mart (in Canada at least) and is rumored to sell at $149 everyday price. If all this holds true it is now Toshiba, Onkyo, Venturer vs Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and Panasonic. The amount of CEs making HD DVD players just got bigger.[/quote]
I believe the Onkyo is a Toshiba player with different name and price.

Edit: Venturer player also appears to be rebadged Toshiba.

We do know a few of the numbers that will be relased tomorrow, as well as the rankings of the top 4 titles:

1. Shrek 3 100
2. Ratatouille ??
3. Oceans 13 BR 50
4. Oceans 13 HD 33

These are obviously preliminary, and are based on info from an article on HMM (which in turn is based on Nielsen First Alert). I'll post the full list when we have them.

Oh, and hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your black friday shopping, I'm just going to OfficeMax to pick up a shredder for my FIL, and making my annual trip to Sears Hardware for various sundries. No electronics this year (or last year, for that matter).

[quote name='KingDox']Who else thinks that even after xmas is over that BR vd HdDVD sales figures will be the same ?[/quote]

Nope, HD-DVD would have to sell a TON of discs without Blu-ray selling any. They are losing by a 30% interval, which means they would have out sell blu-ray by about 100,000+ discs.

And yes, I have heard of Onyko, but as Dallow said, they are a audio company, not a DVD player company, and most people haven't heard of them. Have most people heard of Sony, Pionner, Sharp, Samsung, and Panasonic? You bet.

After watching Kingdom of Heaven DC, I just want to say I'm thankful for high definition movies.

I'm thankful for judder free panning (thanks 24fps output!)

I'm thankful for home audio surround.

Triple post!

This should be correct for the week:

Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn:
66:34....Take that one to the bank. Shrek III came in first, but sales were about 1/2 of what the Rat did.

I cannot wait for the Blu-ray release of Superbad. I've decided to not only keep my PS3 but also get the HD-DVD player so I don't have to feel regret when movies get released on seperate formats. It is the way to go. Also got Nip/Tuck Season 4 in the mail (blu-ray) and plan on watching that once I'm done painting the wall I mount the TV on.

First HD-DVD's to order;
Children of Men, Batman Begins, Transformers, and Blood Diamond. Four movies I haven't seen yet, no point in blowing a ton of money on movies I've seen already, in time I'll accumlate the movies I've seen and not seen.

Welcome to the club nyprimus. It is appearing, more and more, that dual format is pretty much the only solution in the short as well as the long term.

[quote name='dallow']Find a cheaper A3 nyprimus. It's a better player.[/quote] I would but I don't want 3 different units (PS3, 360, and then an A3) as I will be leaving for college soon and I don't need the lossless audio as I run 2.1 speakers.

Lossless and other advanced audio is an advantage regardless of the number of speakers. And unless you're hurting for inputs, there's no difference in number of units between 360 + addon vs. 360 + A3. But the A3 is $20 cheaper than the addon, and comes with ten movies as opposed to six.

[quote name='geko29']Lossless and other advanced audio is an advantage regardless of the number of speakers. And unless you're hurting for inputs, there's no difference in number of units between 360 + addon vs. 360 + A3. But the A3 is $20 cheaper than the addon, and comes with ten movies as opposed to six.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's not fair. You can put both the Xbox 360 and the add-on on their sides.

Can't do that with an A3 and the A3 (if it's anything like the A2) is pretty damn big. It's like an original Xbox flattened out.

[quote name='geko29']Lossless and other advanced audio is an advantage regardless of the number of speakers. And unless you're hurting for inputs, there's no difference in number of units between 360 + addon vs. 360 + A3. But the A3 is $20 cheaper than the addon, and comes with ten movies as opposed to six.[/quote]
I just rather not have that amount of large units when I'll be strapped for space in college. The HD-DVD add on can stand up right next to my 360. The add-on can be had for cheaper used and lossless audio doesn't mean much to me at all. Once I'm into my later years of college I'll have a standalone and real surround sound and a projector.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']So, for someone who doesn't pay attention. Who's winning.[/QUOTE]

Stalemate/too early to call it

Looks at the numbers now though, Blu-Ray.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']So, for someone who doesn't pay attention. Who's winning.[/quote]Software wise, BD has beaten HD DVD every week this year.

Hardware wise, well, that depends on whether you count the PS3.

Both are still in their infancy though.

[quote name='dallow']Software wise, BD has beaten HD DVD every week this year.

Hardware wise, well, that depends on whether you count the PS3.

Both are still in their infancy though.[/quote]

dunno man.. i think the momentum is shifting a bit...

yo are you upgrading your onkyo anytime soon... i cant seem to find a decent deal on the 605.. plus i think i may need a full setup since i think my subwoofer uses a proprietary plug

[quote name='b3b0p']I believe the Onkyo is a Toshiba player with different name and price.

Edit: Venturer player also appears to be rebadged Toshiba.[/QUOTE]

Onkyo is a rebadged XA2 with "higher quality" parts. Venturer looks to be just the A2 in a different case. Regardless, its still two other '"brands" of players on the market to show its not just Toshiba carrying the format as the Blu-folks would say.

So, I have a question that's probably already been answered, but I'm not checking 240+ pages to see if it was.

What about TV shows on DVD from studios like Fox (BR specific) and Universal (HD-DVD specific)? No Hi-Def goodness for these shows, do they come out for both, or just one? The show House has brought up this question for clarity.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Onkyo is a rebadged XA2 with "higher quality" parts. Venturer looks to be just the A2 in a different case. Regardless, its still two other '"brands" of players on the market to show its not just Toshiba carrying the format as the Blu-folks would say.[/quote]

Whatever.

And the Onkyo having higher quality parts, care to share that source of information?

[quote name='KingBroly']So, I have a question that's probably already been answered, but I'm not checking 240+ pages to see if it was.

What about TV shows on DVD from studios like Fox (BR specific) and Universal (HD-DVD specific)? No Hi-Def goodness for these shows, do they come out for both, or just one? The show House has brought up this question for clarity.[/quote]
Not many have come out on Hi-Def. Nip Tuck is out on both formats (Warner). The Office and Heroes are out on HD-DVD (Universal) and Blu-ray has Prison Break and Lost. House is aired by fox but the studio that produces it is owned by Universal, so don't know on that one.

And like people have said, Onyko isn't known by many people and is more known for their receivers, not players. and Venturer isn't either. So, don't really understand how you can say they are "carrying" the format with Toshiba when they are hte only known brand, where as Sharp, Samsung, Sony et al. are.

And Geko, that's an amazing receiver. Me wants it.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Some do come out on Hi-Def. Nip Tuck is out on both formats (Warner). The Office and Heroes are out on HD-DVD (Universal) and Blu-ray has Prison Break and Lost. House is aired by fox but the studio that produces it is owned by Universal, so don't know on that one.[/quote]
The day The Office comes out on HD-DVD is the day I buy a player immediately as quick as I can no matter the price.

That day is not in the forseeable future.

[quote name='nyprimus4']The day The Office comes out on HD-DVD is the day I buy a player immediately as quick as I can no matter the price.

That day is not in the forseeable future.[/quote]

Ohh wait, I'm sorry, The Office isn't out yet, it's just Heroes, and they were giving it away with the HD-DVD add-on. Universal is also releasing Battlestar Galactica.

Geko,

I think you mentioned numbers with shrek winning, but made the comment about the Rat being 2x the sales last week.

If when you post the HD numbers for the week, will you also post the standard DVD numbers for both Rat, and Shrek 3.

I think its relevant and will be interesting to look at. I think the Rat was the highest rated "cartoon" to date, while Shrek 3 is the completion of a trilogy and not a new IP. I think a high quality new IP might have a better week on standard DVD than a third in the series (ala shrek 3).

So not to defend Shrek3 not beating the rat, but I would love to look at the info. Are you getting it from home Media online somewhere? I get that sub, have for over a year now. I rarely visit them online though.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And Geko, that's an amazing receiver. Me wants it.[/quote]
It is indeed. I put up the links primarily for Guyver (but of course hope it helps anybody), since he said he couldn't find a decent price anywhere. It does appear that the inital $365 pricing is gone, but $429 isn't too bad.

[quote name='Snake2715']Geko,

I think you mentioned numbers with shrek winning, but made the comment about the Rat being 2x the sales last week.

If when you post the HD numbers for the week, will you also post the standard DVD numbers for both Rat, and Shrek 3.[/quote]

You're half right. I did post the list of the top 4 titles and their relative sales ratios based on the last paragraph in this article. I didn't say anything about actual numbers (units sold), however, and don't typically have a source for such. Sometimes with a particularly big title, the studios will provide numbers, but usually we don't get them and have to guess.

Since you asked I'll post the relative numbers (sales ratios) for the SD versions of Shrek and Ratatouille, but I doubt if real unit numbers will be available.

Talk about wierd. I was just browsing through Xploited's current catalog and stumbled across Lord of War on HD DVD. This in itself is not unusual. What is strange is this version has a DTS-HD MA English track (vs. Dolby Digital on the Blu-Ray) and is CHEAPER than the Blu-Ray version is at Amazon. Not counting the B2G1, of course.

First time I've seen something like that.

[quote name='geko29']Talk about wierd. I was just browsing through Xploited's current catalog and stumbled across Lord of War on HD DVD. This in itself is not unusual. What is strange is this version has a DTS-HD MA English track (vs. Dolby Digital on the Blu-Ray) and is CHEAPER than the Blu-Ray version is at Amazon. Not counting the B2G1, of course.

First time I've seen something like that.[/QUOTE]

Another interesting one is Reservoir Dogs.

The Dutch import is using a VC-1 transfer on a 30GB disc while the Blu-Ray was only a MPEG2 on a 25GB disc.

I'd rather have Ratatouille in Hi-def than Shrek. Just...so many details went into Ratatouille make it better in Hi-def.

Speaking of Hi-def, and knowing how Disney supports Blu-Ray, meaning Pixar supports Blu-Ray, when's Toy Story (I assume it'll be both) coming out on Blu-Ray? That's a day 1 purchase.

I'm reconsidering HD-DVD with the Nordic release of Children of Men in Blu-ray. And once Blu-ray is all figured out with the Java features or whatever Batman Begins, Matrix Trilogy's, V for Vendetta, etc. will be released too so I'm questioning if I should spend $100+ on a player and even more on movies.

[quote name='nyprimus4']I'm reconsidering HD-DVD with the Nordic release of Children of Men in Blu-ray. And once Blu-ray is all figured out with the Java features or whatever Batman Begins, Matrix Trilogy's, V for Vendetta, etc. will be released too so I'm questioning if I should spend $100+ on a player and even more on movies.[/quote]
Always a tough question, I guess it's whatever movies you want. Personally, I would wait until after Christmas to see what Warner does.

and I haven't heard anything about Toy Story, the last I heard from Disney they were releasing Sleeping Beauty next year.

Looks like next week is going to be the most boring week of the year, with no major releases on either format.

Or, if you're geko, the most exciting: geko's been waiting for such conditions to be ripe so as to determine what the actual sales ratio would rest at, all other things being equal.

I'll bet some sale pops up to screw things up, though. ;)

(I'm mildly interested in Paprika, but I'm also aware of its limited mainstream appeal.)

[quote name='nyprimus4']I'm reconsidering HD-DVD with the Nordic release of Children of Men in Blu-ray. And once Blu-ray is all figured out with the Java features or whatever Batman Begins, Matrix Trilogy's, V for Vendetta, etc. will be released too so I'm questioning if I should spend $100+ on a player and even more on movies.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, with the point of entry being so low right now, you would probably be better off just grabbing an HD-A3 from Amazon. Not only is it $177.13 but it comes with 10 movies.

The jumping point for Blu-Ray to HD-DVD is much easier on the old wallet than going HD-DVD to Blu-Ray.

That said, I've been looking into the combo LG computer drive for my Dad so he can take his A2 on the road with him and who knows maybe sometime next year I could call myself purple by proxy ;)

There is a movie I want ever week going into the new year in Blu-ray.
11/27- The Omega Man
12/4 - Superbad, Pirates 3
12/11 - Harry Potter 5
12/18 - The Simpsons Movie
12/26 - Rush Hour 3
1/1 - Shoot 'Em Up, War
1/8 - 3:10 to Yuma, Man on Fire

Blu-ray is definitely finishing the year strong with these and other movies I'm not even interested in (Lost Season 3, Resident Evil Trilogy, etc.).

[quote name='nyprimus4']There is a movie I want ever week going into the new year in Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

Same for me on HD-DVD. I actually already have all of the them paid for except for Eastern Promises and Zodiac.

11/20 - Tremors (Universal)
11/27 - The Omega Man (Warner)
12/04 - Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid (Eagle Rock)
12/11 - The Bourne Ultimatum (Universal)
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (Warner)
12/18 - Blade Runner (Complete Collector's Edition) (Warner)
12/26 - Eastern Promises (Universal)
Pan's Labyrinth (New Line)
01/08 - Zodiac: Director's Cut (Paramount)

I'll be getting quite a few from Sporadic's list as well.

[quote name='gizmo']Onkyo is a rebadged XA2 with "higher quality" parts. Venturer looks to be just the A2 in a different case. Regardless, its still two other '"brands" of players on the market to show its not just Toshiba carrying the format as the Blu-folks would say.[/QUOTE]You should probably re-read your post. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back