Looking back on the Dreamcast

That G4 documentary of the Dreamcast makes me sad :( Sega did almost everything right & still lost.

One day I will pass the system onto the young ones and speak "Children, this came from a time when games were GAMES. Pure bliss is before you. Partake and enjoy. AND I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU fuckEN SCRATCH MY DISCS, BREAK MY CONTROLLERS OR HAVE THE SYSTEM ON THE CARPET, I WILL SMITE YOU FROM THIS EARTH!" :cool:

I have a BRAND NEW Dreamcast , still in the box , that I bought just for the Smash Pack game .
I took the game out of the box , and left EVERYTHING else in it untouched .

It is one of 4 that I own .
I actually imported this system .
I have the Asian version that does not include a modem ,
1 North American model that I use , a broken [for parts] former Best Buy kiosk one ,
and my sacred untouched one still in the box with the Smash Pack wrap around it .

My most major regret is that I don't own the broadband adapter .

[quote name='CappyCobra']That G4 documentary of the Dreamcast makes me sad :( Sega did almost everything right & still lost.

One day I will pass the system onto the young ones and speak "Children, this came from a time when games were GAMES. Pure bliss is before you. Partake and enjoy. AND I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU fuckEN SCRATCH MY DISCS, BREAK MY CONTROLLERS OR HAVE THE SYSTEM ON THE CARPET, I WILL SMITE YOU FROM THIS EARTH!" :cool:
[/quote]

Better words were never spoken. :whistle2:# They did a G4 documentary on the dreamcast? When? :bomb:

[quote name='assassinX']Better words were never spoken. :whistle2:# They did a G4 documentary on the dreamcast? When? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Theres a link earlier in this thread I think.

I got my DC at launch with Hydro Thunder and Soul Calibur. Honestly I still think lots of DC games look better than the crap they put out on PS2, everything is so much smoother looking and the colors seem so much brighter.

i just got another one at a ysrd sale but it came with a virtual boy and burnt controller and an old butt rumble pack vest yes a big hard plastic vest that rumbles like a ps2 controller dose all for $5 but guess what the cast turns on but no picture

Man,

Reading all the good vibes from former DC owners opens my eyes to the reality that I missed out on a great chapter in video game history. Between me and my friends, I've felt a part of every major system - Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, PC, Master System, NES, Gameboy, Game Gear, Genesis, SNES, 64, PS, PS2, GC, XBox - except for Dreamcast (yes yes, there was Turbografx and Jaguar etc but they never really established themselves and I don't feel I missed out on being part of any "larger" community with those systems).

Some friends and I even "owned" a Sega CD (or Saturn?) from Wal Mart for a weekend so we could play through Lost Vikings 2 (Our local video store didn't carry the other versions). I'm not advocating buy/return scams either. We were dumb kids.

But the Dreamcast never quite had the Smash Brothers or Final Fantasies to convince me to bite on it and to this day Sonic still just doesn't impress me. Sadly it looks like I missed out on a lot of great gaming because of that.

[quote name='solid snake']i just got another one at a ysrd sale but it came with a virtual boy and burnt controller and an old butt rumble pack vest yes a big hard plastic vest that rumbles like a ps2 controller dose all for $5 but guess what the cast turns on but no picture[/QUOTE]

Some useful keys:
;
?
!
:
(Can't display a backspace for obvious reasons)

:)

[quote name='Richlough']I have a BRAND NEW Dreamcast , still in the box , that I bought just for the Smash Pack game .
I took the game out of the box , and left EVERYTHING else in it untouched .

It is one of 4 that I own .
I actually imported this system .
I have the Asian version that does not include a modem ,
1 North American model that I use , a broken [for parts] former Best Buy kiosk one ,
and my sacred untouched one still in the box with the Smach Pack wrap around it .

My most major regret is that I don't own the broadband adapter .[/QUOTE]

I also have a DC still in it's box, I got it for 50 bucks as my Back up DC. I knew the system would be legendary so I jumped at buying a second one when they hit $50.

Oh and who couldn't love Typing of the Dead ? It even had 2 player action.
You'll never see a typing game on a console ever again.

And PGR wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for MSR.

[quote name='chosen1s']
But the Dreamcast never quite had the Smash Brothers or Final Fantasies to convince me to bite on it and to this day Sonic still just doesn't impress me. Sadly it looks like I missed out on a lot of great gaming because of that.[/QUOTE]

I thought Power Stone 2 and Grandia II would have been the Dreamcast equivalents. Bad marketing ruined that, I guess. All of my friends and I did the BOOK thing for the VMUs in Power Stone 2 so we all had Power Stone 2s. They've been ported now so you can get a chance to play them.

[quote name='SMMM']True(for just Jet Grind Radio alone); but I have a feeling the Wii will come close.[/QUOTE]

Well, JGR wasn't anywhere near launch. It came out in 2000, actually.

I adored my DC. I just became addicted to it, and at least half of the DC games I own now, probably more, I paid pretty close to full price for when they first came out. The system had my favorite game of the past gen (PSO) and many, many other top favorites (Power Stone 2, JGR, Skies of Arcadia, etc.).

But at the same time, I don't personally blame Sony for the death of the system. I think the two could have co-existed (since I'd argue that the DC had a better software library than either the GC or Xbox) if Sega had just been better equipped financially to market it. They also were unable to win over many developers - and not just EA. Many devs actually seemed at the time to find it "cool" to talk about how they weren't going to support the system (the much-revered jackass Victor Ireland of the late Working Designs is one that stands out in my mind).

And I can still say that the game cancellation that pissed me off the most was Shenmue 2. I've hated Peter Moore ever since the DC died because of the crap he pulled. Shenmue 2 was delayed an entire year, even tho it was completely ready to go, just to be put on the Xbox with less features than the DC version (no Japanese audio, no save carry-over). I ended up importing the EU version, but I still couldn't carry over my save due to it being from a different region.

Damn you guys! Now I have to go out and spend some money on a DC ;) ! I didn't play anything between PS1 (98ish) and getting a XBox around 2003. I totally missed out on gaming for about 5-6 years. I need to see what everyone's talking about here. I'm off to ebay and craigslist as we speak.

RC

[quote name='rscaramelo']Damn you guys! Now I have to go out and spend some money on a DC ;) ! I didn't play anything between PS1 (98ish) and getting a XBox around 2003. I totally missed out on gaming for about 5-6 years. I need to see what everyone's talking about here. I'm off to ebay and craigslist as we speak.

RC[/quote]
ill sell u one thats half broken,it powers on but no picture on the tv lol oh and when i got it the controllers plug was burnt to a crisp.

[quote name='solid snake']ill sell u one thats half broken,it powers on but no picture on the tv lol oh and when i got it the controllers plug was burnt to a crisp.[/QUOTE]

LOL! That would make for a great gaming experience!

I actually just ran out to a "classic" gaming store 2 towns over and bought one. Probably 10-15 dollars more than what I would have paid on ebay but I already have it! I picked up NFL 2k2 for it too. Now I need some games and accessories. Need something like King of Fighters or Tekken.

Damn this site, it should be called Broke Ass Gamer instead :lol:

RC

[quote name='rscaramelo']LOL! That would make for a great gaming experience!

I actually just ran out to a "classic" gaming store 2 towns over and bought one. Probably 10-15 dollars more than what I would have paid on ebay but I already have it! I picked up NFL 2k2 for it too. Now I need some games and accessories. Need something like King of Fighters or Tekken.

RC[/quote]
Sorry, no Tekken on the DC. Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur will have to fulfill all your 3D fighting needs.

I used to go home on my lunch break and take Crazy Taxi for a few spins to relieve stress. I still have mine w/20+ games and 4 1st party controllers and VMUs. Since I got the 360 it doesn't get the love it once did, but I still spent about as much time on it as did my Xbox or GC.

Viva la Dreamcast !!!

[quote name='dcfox']Sorry, no Tekken on the DC. Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur will have to fulfill all your 3D fighting needs.[/QUOTE]

Technically, there is "Bleem! Tekken 3". As for 2D, there is...

King of Fighters Dream Match '99 (actually '98)
King of Fighters Evolution (actually '99)
King of Fighters '00-'02 (imports)
Last Blade 2
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2
Project Justice (technically 2.5D)
Vampire Chronicals (Import)
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (Import)

KOF Dreammatch, Mark of the Wolves, and Project Justice are my personal favorites.

[quote name='rscaramelo']LOL! That would make for a great gaming experience!

RC[/quote]
oh you have to get Super Run about either the us version or japenese that game was the best.
i didnt even know what to do half the time but it was fun its like grand theft auto but you cant get out of your car.

[quote name='SMMM']Technically, there is "Bleem! Tekken 3". As for 2D, there is...

King of Fighters Dream Match '99 (actually '98)
King of Fighters Evolution (actually '99)
King of Fighters '00-'02 (imports)
Last Blade 2
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2
Project Justice (technically 2.5D)
Vampire Chronicals (Import)
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (Import)

KOF Dreammatch, Mark of the Wolves, and Project Justice are my personal favorites.[/quote]
But counting Bleem would be like counting any other games running on a emulator :lol: On the 3D side I also forgot Power Stone 1&2 and Soul Fighter. And not sure if it would go under 2d or 3d but there was also Plasma Sword.

[quote name='dcfox']But counting Bleem would be like counting any other games running on a emulator :lol: On the 3D side I also forgot Power Stone 1&2 and Soul Fighter. And not sure if it would go under 2d or 3d but there was also Plasma Sword.[/QUOTE]

So count MGS & GT2 .
What's the big deal .

I know you were talking about fighting games , but there's only 3 bleem games anyway .

[quote name='Richlough']So count MGS & GT2 .
What's the big deal .

I know you were talking about fighting games , but there's only 3 bleem games anyway .[/quote]
i all ways ment to get that bleemcast thing but never did

[quote name='dcfox']But counting Bleem would be like counting any other games running on a emulator :lol: On the 3D side I also forgot Power Stone 1&2 and Soul Fighter. And not sure if it would go under 2d or 3d but there was also Plasma Sword.[/QUOTE]

Plasma Sword was 3D.

And as for Project Justice... I dunno if I'd call that 2.5D... the graphics are 3D and you can sidestep so it's technically not on a 2D plane... 3D graphics and gameplay = 3D.

The Dreamcast Checklist, is just what it says. Originally published by SEGA in 2003. The Dreamcast has about double the processing power as a PS2 but still lacked in the games departmnet. Propeller Arena, a game never officially released was leaked on to the internet not too long ago and it's the best flight sim for the console.

IGN or GameSpot or one of those huge ass gaming sites has a top 10 list for the dozen or so game generes Dreamcast had to offer.

3 questions:

1. Awhile back, Gamestop or EB was doing some deal where you could get a ton of games for something like $30 for the DC.... is the deal still out there? I've searched and it looks like it's MIA.
2. Anybody use any of the homebrewed games available? Any good?
3. I see there's a broadband adapter...is it useless now?

RC

[quote name='dtarasev']About 1.5 GB.

Correction : 1.2 GB[/QUOTE]

So actually less than GCN? Ouch.

btw, if the DC kept on going, would the Xbox be here? I mean, did Microsoft just see a spot open and took it?

[quote name='rscaramelo']3 questions:

1. Awhile back, Gamestop or EB was doing some deal where you could get a ton of games for something like $30 for the DC.... is the deal still out there? I've searched and it looks like it's MIA.

RC[/quote]
1.? i wanna know 2
2.whats homebrew mean?
3.i dunno.
the dc probly woulda killed ps2 and xbox if it had the chance to sooo sad i never got to play online cause i didnt have a computer back then.
:cry:
have you guys ever played some of the jap games for it those are alot of fun

Looking back on the Dreamcast... it's now obsolete.

I'm no hater, I mean, check my sig, I own a ton of Dreamcast games... but sadly, everything that is decent on the system has been ported or will be ported over soon.

It was awesome while it was out, but I think it's one of the few systems that's now obsolete. I'm sure someone will come in and name a bunch of true DC exclusives that didn't get ported, but its late and I really can't think of any true DC exclusives that are mind blowing that you can't get elsewhere.

Yea... I looked through my list, and I'm really not seeing anything.

Project Justice, Samba De Amigo, and Record of Lodoss War are the only ones I can think of (other then some shmups, but the best ones like Ikaruga still got ported)... I never really realized how many DC games either weren't worth it or got ported.

I'll throw KoF 98 on that small list for now, but Chacrana has told me that it's rumored to be getting an overhaul on PS2 similar to KoF 94 Rebout, so it's just a matter of time.

Well, the original Jet Set Radio and Shenmue 1 (and I'd argue Shenmue II because the dub the Xbox version got was awful) were fantastic as well and haven't been ported... and really, most ports of games that were originally on the DC didn't turn out well... like Grandia II.

But yeah, the system has it's classics, but the vast majority of the library is worthless now.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well, the original Jet Set Radio and Shenmue 1 (and I'd argue Shenmue II because the dub the Xbox version got was awful) were fantastic as well and haven't been ported... and really, most ports of games that were originally on the DC didn't turn out well... like Grandia II.

But yeah, the system has it's classics, but the vast majority of the library is worthless now.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but most of them turned out ok... Evolution, Skies of Arcadia, the Sonic Adventure games, all the fighters, the upcoming Powerstone ports to PSP are upgraded ports. Jet Set Radio Future is decent, as well, and Jet Set Radio on the GBA is a good game too.

It's kind of sad, in a way. The Dreamcast was once the pride of my collection but now I can easily see myself dumping 80% of the titles I own since I can rebuy them at cheap prices for other systems. I can't think of another system that has had most of it's library dumped elsewhere... I can name a ton of games that were released on other systems that make the system worth buying, but I really can't do that on the DC... I can think of five or six games, but nearly everything worthwhile has been ported.

I can add Shenmue to that small list, but I have to take out Samba De Amigo, since I forgot the maracas are expensive and the game isn't that great without them. I was really convinced back then that the DC was amazing, and I remember that I scooped every cheap title I could grab... this was pre CAG so clearance games at low low prices was awesome (Best Buy was running some crazy deals back then on clearance DC games).

I haven't hooked up the system in close to two years at this point :(

Looking at prices on Ebay, it looks like most of the shooters that came out near the end of the system's life have gone up in price... games like Border Down and Ikaruga (which I still have factory sealed).

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, but most of them turned out ok... Evolution, Skies of Arcadia, the Sonic Adventure games, all the fighters, the upcoming Powerstone ports to PSP are upgraded ports. Jet Set Radio Future is decent, as well, and Jet Set Radio on the GBA is a good game too.

It's kind of sad, in a way. The Dreamcast was once the pride of my collection but now I can easily see myself dumping 80% of the titles I own since I can rebuy them at cheap prices for other systems. I can't think of another system that has had most of it's library dumped elsewhere... I can name a ton of games that were released on other systems that make the system worth buying, but I really can't do that on the DC... I can think of five or six games, but nearly everything worthwhile has been ported.

I can add Shenmue to that small list, but I have to take out Samba De Amigo, since I forgot the maracas are expensive and the game isn't that great without them. I was really convinced back then that the DC was amazing, and I remember that I scooped every cheap title I could grab... this was pre CAG so clearance games at low low prices was awesome (Best Buy was running some crazy deals back then on clearance DC games).

I haven't hooked up the system in close to two years at this point :(

Looking at prices on Ebay, it looks like most of the shooters that came out near the end of the system's life have gone up in price... games like Border Down and Ikaruga (which I still have factory sealed).[/QUOTE]

Well at the very least, if you get rid of 80% of your DC games, not only will your collection be better, but you'll have more space for stuff and a lot more money.

RC[/QUOTE]

1. It was like a dozen or so games for $50, but most of them were crap or old sports games. Even if it was still available, you wouldn't want them.
2. The homebrew scene was quite robust in its day - even now, actually. Besides the plethora of 2D shooters, you had Feet of Fury (a more advanced version of DDR) and Cool Herders (a nifty little puzzle game). Don't even get me started on emulation; how does hundreds of NES, Game Boy, or Genesis games on one disc sound?
3. You can still use it, but even if you can find one on the cheap, there aren't a lot of players online. If you want to use broadband on your DC, you're probably better off connecting to it from your PC.

Eh, I found the Dreamcast to be a pretty overrated system and I find it ridiculous when people compare it game-wise to the current-gen systems. The PSX and N64 just had much better games than the DC, even if their graphics were behind it.

And I dont know who said that Shenmue II on Xbox is awful... but its not. The dubs are actually better.

I don't know how "rare" it is now and you might have trouble finding a copy, but Tech Romancer was a very interesting fighter on the DC. If you've seen most mainstream Mech animes, they've probably got a knock-off one in there for you. The idea and graphics were nice but once I started playing it, I knew I didn't like it--- but I kept coming back for more. I found it odd that my friends and I were snagging this game for $20 at a Capcom booth at a con I went to, and the game didn't seem to be that old at all. Actually, now that I think about it, their website was having a sale were most of their DC games were like under $25 or something. I'm pretty sure it was during the DC's last legs but it wasn't out for the count yet.

Project Justice and Capcom Vs SNK 2 still get the most love from me on the DC to this day. Whenever I explained Project Justice to my friends, I just told them it was a fighter with 2-D moves, 3-D graphics and moving in the foreground and background. I didn't have to explain any 2.5D stuff..

I want my Samba de Amigo port, dammit! It could work really well with the Wiimotes, so here's to hoping..

The Typing of the Dead game was fun, but pretty brutal when giving your typing speed. The stuff you had to type was awesome. Nothing is better than taking on a giant zombie with a chainsaw while typing, "Take off the dress, it's for my dad."

[quote name='Rozz']Eh, I found the Dreamcast to be a pretty overrated system and I find it ridiculous when people compare it game-wise to the current-gen systems. The PSX and N64 just had much better games than the DC, even if their graphics were behind it.[/quote]

Sure when Dreamcast only had a solid run of 2 years, it's easy to say that other systems had more quality games. They had a 3 year headstart to build up thier library. Dreamcast had a higher ratio of quality games during it's short timeframe. Either way, it's your own loss.

Tech Romancer I think is kinda hard to find. Back when the DC was still alive I couldn't find a copy. I had to get one off ebay back in the day. That game is a real hidden gem.

[quote name='KingDox']Tech Romancer I think is kinda hard to find. Back when the DC was still alive I couldn't find a copy. I had to get one off ebay back in the day. That game is a real hidden gem.[/quote]
i have that game just with out the case or book and its a lill beat up

RC[/QUOTE]
1. No, but GS did lower thier DC prices buit only have a few left.

2. From what I have played, they are ok I mean how much are you going to get out of people who are not going to make much money off of them. Cool Hearders is good think dig dug meets bomber-man. They also have started running old PC games on it like DOOM and Quake.

3. There are a FEW private severs that you can use the BBA for umong other thing that can not be discussed here.

Guido,

The one thing is, when everything is said and done, there are only 10-20 games a generation that are played years later. When you hook up a SNES nowdays, they had 700 games, but you aren't looking to play Beavis and Butthead. You'll pop on Maro World or Chrono Trigger.

I think as the Dreamcast goes on, they will have their games that hold their own. Games like Soul Caliber will be used to show what fighting games were like during it's generation. Powerstone is unique. The Sonic Adventure games, even Seaman will be shown, just because most people will never have seen anything like it.

Now, for the comment about a system not having so many ports. I'm not sure if other systems have had this many ports, but I think many of the older systems big games have been ported. What games do you want to play from the 8 or 16 bit era hasn't been ported to another system?

[quote name='CappyCobra']Sure when Dreamcast only had a solid run of 2 years, it's easy to say that other systems had more quality games. They had a 3 year headstart to build up thier library. Dreamcast had a higher ratio of quality games during it's short timeframe. Either way, it's your own loss.[/quote]
Hows it my own loss if I own a Dreamcast and a solid library of games?

And I dont care how long a head start they had or whatever, I go to whatever is the higher quality system.

Honestly, I sorta regret buying the dc when I did. If I had waited a few months down the line I could have bought it for $100 or cheaper instead of $150, especially since I didn't really play my dreamcast until it offically died and there was zero support for it. I was still into my psone at the time and I really wanted the ps2, but because it was sold out, I settled for the dreamcast.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate dreamcast, but I didn't play a lot of the great games until it was game over for sega. :(

[quote name='Rozz']Hows it my own loss if I own a Dreamcast and a solid library of games?

And I dont care how long a head start they had or whatever, I go to whatever is the higher quality system.[/quote] Meh, to each his own I guess. All i'm saying is that for the short run it had, Dreamcast had some pretty innovative concepts. Some of the more noteworthy:

VMU: Still to this day an innovative piece. NFL 2k3 strategy element of picking plays on your controller's screen was ground breaking even now. Plus the minigames played outside of the main game heighted the experiance by unlocking extras/leveling up characters while away from the main game.

Standard Modem: First true taste of online console gaming and what could be achieved if done right. Amazingly smooth connection over a dialup. Best part of it all, it was FREE (excluding PSO of course)

Fishing Controller: Yes the fishing controller. Even If you're not a fishing fan, Sega Bass fishing was an enjoyable distraction.

Maracas!: Do I have to explain this one? It's Samba de Amigo; seriously.

So yes if you didn't find any of that worthy of your time during it's day, then it is your loss indeed.:booty:

[quote name='lionheart4life']
It doesn't seem like it had enough of the big mainstream titles to really sell systems though. If it had launched with a better looking version of Madden or something it would have done better.[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Did you play the NFL 2k when it first came out on the DC? That game was absolutely amazing, far suprassing anything madden had done or did for the next 3 years at least.

And the fact that people are posting that they are thinking about selling their DC games because tons have been ported to other systems should tell you a little bit about the quality of the games and the system. It was an amazing system and it is really to bad that it didn't make it.

While were on the topic, is Sega ever going to jump back into the home console war? I would love for them to.

bread's done
Back