Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ Best Buy Exclusive

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy [Theatrical Edition] (9-Disc) Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ (StickerBook) [Best Buy Exclusive]

6735bc07e2ad0f1065df1c6fcf63d1aao.jpg

Price: $84.99 MSRP
Pre-Order Price: $64.99 Sale
Release Date: April 6, 2010
SKU: 9794135
Pre-Order Date: March 2 & 7, 2010
Minimum Deposit: $5.00 Required
Limited Quantity: 5-10 copies per store
Size: Jumbo
Other: StickerBook
Link: BestBuy.com
Store Locator: BestBuy.com

According to Brana, Best Buy is getting LotR Trio on BD Jumbo SteelBook but printed on Sticker. Now we have 4 different versions of LotR Trio (Best Buy, Future Shop, FNAC and Amazon.de). Best Buy are the stickerbook, Future Shop is jumbo, FNAC (French) get 3 individual steelbook cases, and Amazon.de (Germany) will have 3 individual steelbook cases housed in a slipcase.

Edit: Pre-order this and get a Steelbook case for free. Required $5 deposit. Must order between 2/4/10 and 4/5/10. Limit 3 per customer.

What is Stickerbook?
Stickerbook is printed on a high gloss photo sheet then laminate on the blank steelbook.
postcard-104341-3557-b.jpg

What is SteelBook Jumbo?
SteelBook Jumbo holds up to 6 disc, measuring by 6.7" x 5.4" x 1.14"
JumboProducts.jpg

2lj58wx.jpg

Courtesy to mmcvey (Bluray.com)

Fine Print: Available Tuesday, April 6, $5 deposit required. DVDs and Blu-ray Discs not included with Steelbook case. Pre-order must be made between 02/04/10 - 04/05/10. Release date subject to change. Limit 3 per title per customer. While supplies last. No dealer. Good in USA only. Void where prohibit. Distributed in the USA by Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd, Burbank, CA 91522. All rights reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local BB still doesn't have them in stock when i asked the manager he says its "in transit" and told me to do "store to site" which im going to do in the morning.

[quote name='ssjmichael']For that price and that many discs I don't know why they couldn't just put both extended and theatrical in there.[/QUOTE]

Because then they couldn't get the suckers who are willing to rebuy the same movie for the third AND fourth time :)

Already own the fancy extended editions on DVD, I see zero reason to buy another version, especially at such an inflated price. I mean come on, the DVD's of these very same movies are $7.50 at Wal Mart day in and day out!

Just wanted to share my experiences with getting this thing.

I did the online in store pick-up sat night. Everything went through okay, but it charged me $15 + tax. I went in sun to pick it up (couldn't locate the promo/endcap section anywhere). When I received the case, I asked if my $15 bucks will be applied towards the purchase of the actual movies. She told me that I was only really charged $5 and not the $15 + tax that I saw online. She also said that when I go pick up the movie in April, I just bring back this $5 charge, they'll refund it to me and I buy the movie separately.

As for the case itself, it does look pretty crappy. Its not a full enclosed steelbook case (ie: Band of Brothers) but more of a combination of plastic with pieces of metal on the surface. Kinda lame. The sticker cover seems to actually be two pieces so you see this horizontal line across the middle of the cover.

[quote name='Dr4g00n']Just wanted to share my experiences with getting this thing.

I did the online in store pick-up sat night. Everything went through okay, but it charged me $15 + tax. I went in sun to pick it up (couldn't locate the promo/endcap section anywhere). When I received the case, I asked if my $15 bucks will be applied towards the purchase of the actual movies. She told me that I was only really charged $5 and not the $15 + tax that I saw online. She also said that when I go pick up the movie in April, I just bring back this $5 charge, they'll refund it to me and I buy the movie separately.

As for the case itself, it does look pretty crappy. Its not a full enclosed steelbook case (ie: Band of Brothers) but more of a combination of plastic with pieces of metal on the surface. Kinda lame. The sticker cover seems to actually be two pieces so you see this horizontal line across the middle of the cover.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, uhm, hate to tell you but there's no way you were only charged $5 if your online receipt says $15.

I doubt Bestbuy.com even thinks of it as a pre-order in that case, you'll probably have to go through a bizarre return process at the store. Be sure to bring a printout of your online receipt showing you paid $15 if you really decide to go pick up the movie....

I ordered mine on line for instore pick up - my online receipt read $15.00 plus tax - but when I picked it up instore, it changed the price to $5.00 plus tax... and now if I look at my order on line it clearly shows the amount was changed to $5.00...

I just checked my credit card statement on line - I was charged the full price of $15.00 plus tax - then refunded $10.00 plus tax...

[quote name='Dr4g00n']
She also said that when I go pick up the movie in April, I just bring back this $5 charge, they'll refund it to me and I buy the movie separately.
[/QUOTE]
Yep, just picked up mine today. Ordered with in store pick up when the price had already dropped to $5. It did not work like a regular preorder, so it looks like I wont be able to return it to get my $5 back + keep the steelbook. No biggie though, just wanted to point out that it looks like this freebie is different than some.

My store was already sold out and said I was lucky I got the in store pick up before they opened on Sunday.

I managed to grab one.
One store was OUT. The next closest had 4.
But that was several hours ago. I'm sure they're out of stock by now.

[quote name='bearkiss']I ordered mine on line for instore pick up - my online receipt read $15.00 plus tax - but when I picked it up instore, it changed the price to $5.00 plus tax... and now if I look at my order on line it clearly shows the amount was changed to $5.00...

I just checked my credit card statement on line - I was charged the full price of $15.00 plus tax - then refunded $10.00 plus tax...[/QUOTE]

Hrrm, guess the automatic price adjustment at pickup worked on these, for some reason I thought that the online pre-orders were handled differently. My bad!

[quote name='Justin42']Hrrm, guess the automatic price adjustment at pickup worked on these, for some reason I thought that the online pre-orders were handled differently. My bad![/QUOTE]

The lady said that the online price was unofficial/an estimate or something of the sort. I just checked my online statement and it did what Bearkiss described. Charged me $15 + tax, then refunded me $10 + tax.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Xage - 17
Me - :D:D[/QUOTE]

Was it six on your end?

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']I got the last 6, woohoo! I'm gonna modify jumbo cases to slim, so I can make single cases for each one.[/QUOTE]

this is bullshit both my local BB's say they have them in stock but when i call or goto the store they all say they have never seen them, sold them or put them out for display and to order them online

im like i cant.. it doesnt ship.. i can do ship to store but thats it and they keep telling me that wont work so i just said fuck it and im not dealing with those idiots anymore.. same thing happened with the UP steelbook and hurt locker, my BBs are full of incompetent children

Who else had this in stock at their nearby Bestbuy store?

The reason why I asked this, is that don't expect it to be the same as the Bestbuy Disney Bluray Steelbooks or do a rant about it being "instock" at "a lot" their stores.

:D basically, the bottomline... there is no more to get in store. It would be great if found one at your nearest Bestbuy but with all the wacky stuff about this release expect it to be hard to find.

Bestbuy.com LOTR Steelbook

As you can see, its not available anymore for shipment and chances are if you go for store pickup the product is much likely unavailable

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']West Hollywood has instock. I'm sure you been there already.[/QUOTE]

:) out of stock now, I guess.

I posted the url link above this post

Why does the thread say SOLD OUT now? It looks like you can still order them on the BestBuy website, anyway ...

[quote name='dfo']Why does the thread say SOLD OUT now? It looks like you can still order them on the BestBuy website, anyway ...[/QUOTE]It doesn't any more.

Regardless, the OP shouldn't mark it as SOLD OUT when there's been apparent availability at some BB's at the moment, plus the website goes in and out of stock.

Just got mine from my local Best Buy but it only has room for 4 discs in the case and Amazon's listing says its a 9 disc set... whats up with that

[quote name='shrike4242']It doesn't any more.

Regardless, the OP shouldn't mark it as SOLD OUT when there's been apparent availability at some BB's at the moment, plus the website goes in and out of stock.[/QUOTE]

but the availability is very minimal and its a chance of luck.

[quote name='dfo']Why does the thread say SOLD OUT now? It looks like you can still order them on the BestBuy website, anyway ...[/QUOTE]

Bestbuy raised it to $15 and not available for shipping

For some odd reason my posts were deleted, any chance knowing why?

I missed out, OOS at all my local best buys, but I got lucky, there's still plenty in the ass crack of New Hampshire so I have someone picking me up one.

I considered getting it when it was $5 and free shipping but it's kind of fugly to me. With all the fantasy and beautiful set pieces from LOTR, they could have made the case look amazing, but it's just really bland. Maybe the extended steelbook (if there'll be one) will be better.

I don't know that I'm necessarily boycotting this release, but the crassness of the way it's being marketed really makes it easy for me to wait for the inevitable EE double-dip. If you genuinely prefer the theatrical editions, I have no problem with you picking this up, but if you're a more avid LOTR fan and you cave on this, you have some soul-searching to do.

[quote name='Tybee']I don't know that I'm necessarily boycotting this release, but the crassness of the way it's being marketed really makes it easy for me to wait for the inevitable EE double-dip. If you genuinely prefer the theatrical editions, I have no problem with you picking this up, but if you're a more avid LOTR fan and you cave on this, you have some soul-searching to do.[/QUOTE]

I pondered this awhile myself... but to me waiting for the Hobbit to be released for the EE's (which is when I assume they will release) would push me back to probably 2013. If I have to rebuy them in 3-4 years fine. As long as the EE's don't come out this fall.

[quote name='KansasFF']I pondered this awhile myself... but to me waiting for the Hobbit to be released for the EE's (which is when I assume they will release) would push me back to probably 2013. If I have to rebuy them in 3-4 years fine. As long as the EE's don't come out this fall.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy the conventional wisdom that we won't see the EE's until The Hobbit comes out. The primary factor determining how soon the EE's come out is how soon sales of the theatrical editions tail off. Then they'll know they've saturated the market and it's time to roll out the second cash-in. They have practice at this, after all. :roll:

Then there's the secondary argument that the separate editions are a bullshit construct to begin with, when they've already proved they can include both editions on a single release via branching.

The steelbook isn't THAT bad, although it's really plastic, not any kind of metal. The included Sideshow $50 gift certificate is a nice little freebie too.

Yeah, I'll second that the $50 slideshow gift card is nice (even though it's only good on a few dozen items). Just got my "free" (+ $8 shipping) Indiana Jones hat and couldn't be more psyched. This thing is awesome!

[quote name='eliter1']Got one yesterday. Nice bonus slideshow GC, going to see if it stacks with the $25 card I got a t Comicon last year.[/QUOTE]

They do not stack

[quote name='dfo']Why does the thread say SOLD OUT now? It looks like you can still order them on the BestBuy website, anyway ...[/QUOTE]

You cannot order it from their site - "Not Available For Shipping"

Its out of luck if its still available in store.

[quote name='eliter1']Got one yesterday. Nice bonus slideshow GC, going to see if it stacks with the $25 card I got a t Comicon last year.[/QUOTE]

Dissed the $25.. go for the $50 - There is no combination of giftcards offer.

[quote name='misbitski']The steelbook isn't THAT bad, although it's really plastic, not any kind of metal. The included Sideshow $50 gift certificate is a nice little freebie too.[/QUOTE]

How can that be? the outer front & back panel and part of spine were made of steel.

I only found 4 at BB about 2 weeks ago. Bought 3 for $15 and left 1 for someone else. I still check for a Hurt Locker steelbook when I go. About 5% of the steelbooks actually go up in value.

The glue holding the title onto the spine is already toast on my copy. There are "air bubbles" on the front cover too.

Unquestionably the worst Steelbook I've ever seen. Total crap.

bread's done
Back