Lost Odyssey - Gen. Discussion & Info

io, regarding your Seed frustration -

Just found my 99th Seed. I got to like 97 without any guides or anything, so I decided to look at one to try and figure out which two I missed. It turns out that I was missing the very first Seed in the game, up the watchtower in Uhra, and the last one was in the Numara Terminal, (right before you get the White Boa) in a white locker.

Finished it last night. The ending was a cakewalk compared to the last Backyard battle, but I was expecting that.

As for possible sequels: (spoilers about the end, obviously):
I think someone here made the comment that the ending obviously set it up as a series. It certainly could go that way, but it is also a pretty self-contained ending - no cliffhangers or loose ends, really. Of course, Gongora could always come back from the other world and Seth could get involved in some way. Then there's the magical energy storage tanks all over the world that Gongora mentioned - someone new could get a hold of those and cause trouble. There are certainly lots of possibilites for continuing the same storyline. And of course, they could always just come up with something completely new set in the same world or even just a similar one ala FF. In any case, hopefully the decent sales mean there will be a sequel or follow-on, or at least another turn-based JRPG with a similar style even if it is completely different characters/story.

*sighs* After dumping 34 hours into this game, getting to the 4th disc, and returning my rental since it was too damn addictive, I go and order it + the guide with that $20 off $80 promo at buy.com. I feel weak.

Oh well. Hopefully the budget shipping actually takes a while. I'd like to finish my last game of Mass Effect before continuing the godliness that is Lost Odyssey.

I finally got my copy for YourFree360games and it's amazing. The game looks spectacular and the memories are very well written and umm.... sorta' depressing. Overall, I'm enjoying the game and really like the combat.

[quote name='paz9x']i thought ff12 was VERY good. i think its so different a lot of people were just turned off by it.[/quote]

My problems with the game stemmed largely from the game design. There were some things that were really crappy in it, such as how you get the Zodiac Spear. Leveling up was also really boring, and I got sick of it at the end of the game when trying to raise up enough gold for equipment & spells (I didn't use a guide at all) - it's a shame that everyone I know who didn't use a guide got just as burned as me by the game, and really shaken my trust in Square-Enix's ability to churn out a game that stands out as a complete package in itself.

Edit: FINALLY, found the 99th seed - turns out I was missing seed #70 from that pic, I can't believe I misthought where that seed was from the FAQs and even the pic

80.jpg

How do you get the Sleep Spell? I need to put those Arthrosauruses to sleep.....I dont stand a chance without sleep.....

[quote name='King Bahamut']My problems with the game stemmed largely from the game design. There were some things that were really crappy in it, such as how you get the Zodiac Spear. Leveling up was also really boring, and I got sick of it at the end of the game when trying to raise up enough gold for equipment & spells (I didn't use a guide at all) - it's a shame that everyone I know who didn't use a guide got just as burned as me by the game, and really shaken my trust in Square-Enix's ability to churn out a game that stands out as a complete package in itself.

Edit: FINALLY, found the 99th seed - turns out I was missing seed #70 from that pic, I can't believe I misthought where that seed was from the FAQs and even the pic

80.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Can i ask where you got that guide with pictures? I have a feeling i missed alot and going back through to find the seeds with pictures would help alot. Thanks.

[quote name='paz9x']i thought ff12 was VERY good. i think its so different a lot of people were just turned off by it.

im actually playing blue dragon as i type.[/quote]

FF turned me off at 8. I just didn't find any of them playable after that. I do have 12 and I do think its okay, but I'm not fond of the real time action stuff. If I want real time action, I'll go play an MMO.

[quote name='mike.m']FF turned me off at 8. I just didn't find any of them playable after that. I do have 12 and I do think its okay, but I'm not fond of the real time action stuff. If I want real time action, I'll go play an MMO.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='King Bahamut']I'm of the opposite view - I despised FF12 with a passion, and they'll have to really revamp the design if they want me to buy another FF game after FF13.[/QUOTE]

What did you dislike about it? I mean I know it's not a real Final Fantasy game, and the battles weren't nearly as satisfying (nor the story), but I still found it WAAAAAY better than the fast majority of Japanese RPGs. And the "programable" battles were kind of an interesting new thing.

My favorites in the series are 6-10, especially 9 and 10. (I disliked 8 at first, but my brother got me to finally give it a second chance, and I liked it after I 'got' the Junction system.)

whoever designed the temple of enlightenment should be shot. In fact much of whoever came up with some of the shoddy game design should be shot. Nobody enjoys trekking back through a level they just went through.....

[quote name='Zoglog']whoever designed the temple of enlightenment should be shot. In fact much of whoever came up with some of the shoddy game design should be shot. Nobody enjoys trekking back through a level they just went through.....[/QUOTE]

You talking about having to get back out of that place? :lol:. Yeah, that was asinine - especially when there are plenty of other levels where you go out automatically after the ending cutscene so it's not like that's the style of the whole game. But I guess since this is an optional dungeon they wanted to make it as painful as possible. I wouldn't mind if the damn random encounters stopped or at least toned down a bit. They seemed to increase when I was trying to find my way out. I swear there were times when I couldn't run more than 5-6 blocks and another would start up.

I played this for about an hour, and I enjoy it.. but with this, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, and Eternal Sonata in my RPG lineup.. it may be a while before I get to it. I have so many 360 games I need to play.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What did you dislike about it? I mean I know it's not a real Final Fantasy game, and the battles weren't nearly as satisfying (nor the story), but I still found it WAAAAAY better than the fast majority of Japanese RPGs. And the "programable" battles were kind of an interesting new thing.

My favorites in the series are 6-10, especially 9 and 10. (I disliked 8 at first, but my brother got me to finally give it a second chance, and I liked it after I 'got' the Junction system.)[/quote]

As I said, I hated the design - I have no problems with them trying to innovate, but there were some fundamental design flaws, such as the things I've mentioned dragging down the pacing, and the size of the world, making it a huge chore to travel. The game had too many unbearable elements for me to enjoy it.

[quote name='King Bahamut']As I said, I hated the design - I have no problems with them trying to innovate, but there were some fundamental design flaws, such as the things I've mentioned dragging down the pacing, and the size of the world, making it a huge chore to travel. The game had too many unbearable elements for me to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Like what though? I never got a zodiac spear-I don't even know what it is, other than I assume it's some uber weapon. And I didn't think the world was very hard to travel around (they had different ways to get around as I recall).

My main complaints are the story was weak compared to 6-10 (or Lost Odyssey/Chrono Trigger), the battles were never as interesting (I handled boss fights the same way as everything else, almost by necessity), and also I would have liked a more in depth programming system (which is sort of being picky since it's the first one with a system like that at all). Oh and the random treasure chests were lame...

But all in all, Final Fantasy 12 is the game that convinces me Square can make a game without Sakaguchi, not the game that shakes my faith in that. For me, the VAST majority of non-Sakaguchi Square/Enix games aren't worth playing.

One thing I forgot to mention about this game that bugs me...the costume design for everyone but Kaim and Seth. What the heck were they thinking? It ranges from atrocious for most of the characters, to downright creepy in the case of Ming. Her weird "breasts are hanging out" costume is embarrassing and unappealing at the same time. Seth and Kaim look great, but everyone else needs a new outfit badly.

[quote name='Wolfpup']One thing I forgot to mention about this game that bugs me...the costume design for everyone but Kaim and Seth. What the heck were they thinking? It ranges from atrocious for most of the characters, to downright creepy in the case of Ming. Her weird "breasts are hanging out" costume is embarrassing and unappealing at the same time. Seth and Kaim look great, but everyone else needs a new outfit badly.[/QUOTE]

You don't like Tolten's regal gold and diamond-encrusted armor? :D

I dunno, I kind of liked Tolten's getup. Sed wasn't too bad either. Jansen's is a little strange, as are the kids', but they certainly didn't bother me. I do agree that Ming's is a bit, uh, much.

I've been playing Blue Dragon the last few days (right on the heels of completing Lost Odyssey). Someone here said they liked the battle startup better in LO? I can say one thing for sure after comparing the games so close together - Blue Dragon has WAY WAY WAY better loading times on battle startup and closeout. If you are level grinding, or making your way through some tedious area like the Temple of Enlightenment, you'll appreciate BD's battles way more. In LO you have to see that multi-pan shot of the background, hear the comment from one of the chars then do the battle. Then at the end you have to watch a slower closeout. BD starts up almost immediately and finishes up quick. I also think the menu selections in BD are faster (more responsive). Anyway, it is a minor thing but I could see this combined with the non-random battles (and ability to bump off lower foes with the field barrier) making Blue Dragon a better-paced game in terms of combat/exploration.

Again, though, I like both games a ton and would rate both in the top 5 all time for the 360. Note that I don't care for FPS games though ;).

Well im sure they didnt want all that scenery, lines and junk before and after each battle. But they chose to add that instead of putting a black loading screen the whole time. Which was smart.

oh my fucking god. Why didnt anyone say you HAVE to have mack in your group when you fight the boss of the temple of enlightenment. All my main group is lvl 72 and im about to fight the boss with mack in there, lvl 37. fucking wack.

edit: well i just beat him. That was fucking easy. ohwell. I reallllllllllly dont want to find my way out of here now. this sucks.

[quote name='sleepy180']oh my fucking god. Why didnt anyone say you HAVE to have mack in your group when you fight the boss of the temple of enlightenment. All my main group is lvl 72 and im about to fight the boss with mack in there, lvl 37. fucking wack.[/QUOTE]

D'oh! On the plus side, you can just run around for a few minutes and each fight you get in will give Mack a full level until you get him close to the others. Just keep him in the back for a while. I had the same problem, though my Mack was around 50 and my other chars were at 80 or so. I just put him in the back for that final fight. It was really easy if I remember correctly. It seemed like kind of a letdown considering how challenging some of the random battles up to that point were.

[quote name='sleepy180']oh my fucking god. Why didnt anyone say you HAVE to have mack in your group when you fight the boss of the temple of enlightenment. All my main group is lvl 72 and im about to fight the boss with mack in there, lvl 37. fucking wack.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter.

I just let him die and beat the boss with the immortals.

[quote name='zewone']It doesn't really matter.

I just let him die and beat the boss with the immortals.[/QUOTE]

^^^ Or that ;)

Woot! i just found this video. Its a guide on exiting the temple of enlightenment. Thank god. edit: HOLY SHIT lol. This video got me out of temple of enlightenment from the boss in about 10 min. Praise the Lord! Hallelujah!!

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y25iKqFpeg[/MEDIA]

Is this "Temple of Enlightenment" something mandatory? At any rate, I just started Disc 3, and so far I keep my four immortals in the party at all times, and just swap out a normal character whenever everyone's learned everything they can from him/her. Because of the semi-level cap system, I don't need to worry about leveling them equally which is nice.

[quote name='Callandor']You don't like Tolten's regal gold and diamond-encrusted armor? :D[/QUOTE]

I'd forgotten about him. He's fine, but I just meant like of the main characters you have through disc 2, I like Seth and Kaim a lot, but everyone else's outfits are either kind of odd/ugly at best, or just embarrassing in the case of Ming. I think it might be less embarrassing to me if they just had her naked. (Not to mention her outfit doesn't remotely match her personality).

[quote name='io']I dunno, I kind of liked Tolten's getup. Sed wasn't too bad either. Jansen's is a little strange, as are the kids', but they certainly didn't bother me. I do agree that Ming's is a bit, uh, much.

I've been playing Blue Dragon the last few days (right on the heels of completing Lost Odyssey). Someone here said they liked the battle startup better in LO? I can say one thing for sure after comparing the games so close together - Blue Dragon has WAY WAY WAY better loading times on battle startup and closeout. If you are level grinding, or making your way through some tedious area like the Temple of Enlightenment, you'll appreciate BD's battles way more. In LO you have to see that multi-pan shot of the background, hear the comment from one of the chars then do the battle. Then at the end you have to watch a slower closeout. BD starts up almost immediately and finishes up quick.[/quote]

For me Lost Odyssey is probably less tedious though, or at worst about the same because random battles are a lot less frequent, and you you gain levels and abilities fast. I like what they did with it. Plus Blue Dragon wasn't blazing fast to begin with. I'm not super impressed with either game's engine though, but at least Unreal 3 comes off (to me) as a high resolution version of what they were doing on the PS2.

No the temple of enlightenment isn't mandatory. It's an optional dungeon that's in disk 4 and personally I didn't find it difficult to navigate at all really. At first it seemed that way but quickly realized how simplistic the paths were outside of one that made me think a little bit. Though I'm also good at memorizing paths I've taken so I can backtrack, unless of course every single room looked the same and I was suppose to randomly guess north/south/east/west. (Damn you old school 2D identical room mazes!)

I just got done with the Uhran Sewers and my god, for some reason I was hitting a random battle every three steps and was having trouble finding my way out. I hadn't been frustrated with any part of this game til now. However I'm done with that part now and ready to move on and finish this masterpiece.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
For me Lost Odyssey is probably less tedious though, or at worst about the same because random battles are a lot less frequent, and you you gain levels and abilities fast. [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how you can say that. There were times in LO when I'd hit long and tedious random battles every 5-6 steps (just wait till the ToE) all the while trying to remember where I was supposed to go next (the battle would interrupt that and I'd forget). In Blue Dragon the monsters are less frequent, not random, AND YOU CAN AVOID THEM! :lol: The quicker leveling up in LO is appreciated though - just visit Numara Atoll if you need some levels early on. There's nothing in BD that is the equivalent of that though the Golden Poo Snakes on that one island come close (need to fight about 10-15 to gain a level).

me and my friend have a game going where whenever a japanese game comes out where the main character has amnesia, we take 4 shots of tequila, I haven't been sober... or out of the hospital... for more than a day.

[quote name='Wolfpup']One thing I forgot to mention about this game that bugs me...the costume design for everyone but Kaim and Seth. What the heck were they thinking? It ranges from atrocious for most of the characters, to downright creepy in the case of Ming. Her weird "breasts are hanging out" costume is embarrassing and unappealing at the same time. Seth and Kaim look great, but everyone else needs a new outfit badly.[/quote]

You know...I totally agree. I think Sarah just looks flat out goofy. I think Ming looks alright, but they certainly could have done better. I think they should have given Mack more of a brawler look.

hey does anyone know where i can go to grab a bunch of adamantine ore? I wanna make the lvl 3 rings but i am severly lacking in adamantine ore and brass ring? brass something.

[quote name='TruVisionary']me and my friend have a game going where whenever a japanese game comes out where the main character has amnesia, we take 4 shots of tequila, I haven't been sober... or out of the hospital... for more than a day.[/QUOTE]

True enough, but this isn't like that. He's an actual character, not a personality-less cypher, and
his amnesia doesn't last, and there's actually a reason for it.
It's not used the way it is in the trillions of other Japanese RPGs that do it.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']This game is one of my favorite games now, it's so phenomenal!
I cried when Kaim's daughter died on disc one. :whistle2:#
[/QUOTE]

Quoted.

Very good game. Ive been on disk 4 for like 20 hours now just finishing up the sidequests. Almost done though, cant wait to go to grandstaff and finish up this game.

[quote name='zewone']Quoted.[/quote]
Thanks for that. :lol:

Anyway, I guess I should reiterate on how I liked this game.
Ok, so the intro to this game was so epic for me.
Not only was it amazing, but I also had just gotten an HDTV, so it was a blast.
The music is incredible, and I have no real gripes with it.
The dream sequences are an annoyance when they pop up, but afterwards it's just great. This game is an emotional roller coaster.
It's hilarious (I thought Jensen was really funny), it REALLY pulls your heart strings and is just over all, a great experience.

The first couple minutes (maybe even hour?) are kinda boring, but once you get to about half of the first disc, things escalate and it just gets really fun.

I aboslutely love this game, but...

I'm missing one seed. One fucking seed. And I know it's not from a closed area since nothing is appearing at the auction house. :bomb:

I've already gone through the full list from gamefaqs along with the guide. This is very annoying.

I'm still on the first disc but some of dream sequences hits you pretty hard.:cry:
Is the Prima Guide any good? Most of the guide I bought so far are terrible.

[quote name='Trakan']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4091071&postcount=555[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Callandor']OMG, thank you for the link![/QUOTE]

Ahem... Or, maybe the ORIGINAL source for the link ;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4081544&postcount=544

Note Callandor I was in the same boat as you. I thought I had gone through them all but when I saw those pictures I had a few candidates for rechecking - turns out it was the apple in the tree (with a bunch of other apples) on the canal street in Numara - very small trigger point there so I never saw it while running past and it is in the area of town where there aren't apples on the walls like in the main part so I wasn't expecting it.

Sorry io, just found the most recent link.

Wish I woulda saw that before hunting down my 99th one though, heh.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Do you need all those seeds?[/QUOte]
only if you're going for the learn every skill for the immortals and open every chest achievement.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Do you need all those seeds?[/quote]

If you want some of the better items in the game including one of the items needed for the immortals to learn all the skills, then yes.

The items you get from the seeds aren't very good... Unless you're following a guide. Because by the time you find the amount of seeds needed for the items (without following a guide, like me), they are outdated.

[quote name='io']Ahem... Or, maybe the ORIGINAL source for the link ;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4081544&postcount=544

Note Callandor I was in the same boat as you. I thought I had gone through them all but when I saw those pictures I had a few candidates for rechecking - turns out it was the apple in the tree (with a bunch of other apples) on the canal street in Numara - very small trigger point there so I never saw it while running past and it is in the area of town where there aren't apples on the walls like in the main part so I wasn't expecting it.[/QUOTE]

I kept running by the container for #3, never hitting the right angle to open it. So I thought I had opened it. :bomb: Oh, well. At least I found a few items I missed and a few mini sidequests during the whole ordeal.

So this leaves the final areas, backyard battles, and the Temple of Enlightenment. Joy.

And thank you to io for the original link. Are you happy now, io? :bow:

[quote name='zewone']The items you get from the seeds aren't very good... Unless you're following a guide. Because by the time you find the amount of seeds needed for the items (without following a guide, like me), they are outdated.[/quote]

I remember one decent sword/ring combo and I think the HP Up 3 accessory.

bread's done
Back