Lost Odyssey - Gen. Discussion & Info

Here's Kotaku's article:

[quote name='Kotaku']So...Thursday, then. Oh, and sadly only in Japan, at least for now. For 400 points, on offer is a single (very familiar-looking) dungeon, which promises a single rare item and a single boss encounter, though you'd expect a fair bit of random-bad-guy-pop-ups to hassle you during your exploration as well. One more thing: the Famitsu report's a little unclear on where you need to be in the game to access this stuff, so keep that in mind if you're going to try and get around the region locks on XBL and pick this up.[/QUOTE]

Meh, maybe. If the boss is at least as hard as (but less cheap than) the Immortal One from the backyard, I'd be interested. My immortals are already gods, so they don't need any new accessories. :D

Now, if the dungeon itself is as lame as the shuffle dungeon DLC for Blue Dragon, then I might be just a little upset with Mistwalker...

[quote name='Moxio']Crap. 360 died, now I have to wait like a month before I can start up again. :(

And I had just gotten Ming.[/QUOTE]

Which version of 360 was it? My newest one held up through Lost Odyssey, so that's what I needed it for :)

April 6, 2008 - New Japanese Downloadable Content Hits April 10th

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1214549_1124.html

lo0000zg9.jpg

lo0001bf2.jpg

lo0002pl9.jpg

lo0003bo5.jpg

Now i tried to use babelfish to translate and got this

' Lost Odyssy ' download contents 3rd feature transmits from 2008 April 10th
"The search person of the John extra Don abyss" transmits For Xbox 360 which is in the midst of selling from Microsoft software ' lost Odyssy ' download contents 3rd feature, is transmitted from 2008 April 10th. As for the latest download contents, "search person of John extra Don abyss". It is possible to purchase with 400 Microsoft point. In John this additional Don, besides the fact that super rare it is not possible to get only here, the accessory is prepared, also the new boss appears." The strongest "avoiding in the prayer which you aim, you have become John Don who cannot pass. Furthermore, in order to play John this additional Don, the saving data of scenario final stage is with necessary. Already, the person who clears the game, also the person whom you intend probably to play from now on calls the download contents of seeing necessary may.

What i got from that, is that it is a new area in a underwater compound. There are new accessory(s) and a new boss. It will release on the japanese marketplace on april 10th. And you also must have a save file with the completed game on it to get to this place i think it says.

Im thinking we can get this DLC just like the others by creating a japanese gamertag and downloading it like normal, and it will just autotranslate like the other dlc packs. Hopefully its true because i would so get this. I loved this game and a new boss would be awesome.

Here's Kotaku's article:

[quote name='Kotaku']So...Thursday, then. Oh, and sadly only in Japan, at least for now. For 400 points, on offer is a single (very familiar-looking) dungeon, which promises a single rare item and a single boss encounter, though you'd expect a fair bit of random-bad-guy-pop-ups to hassle you during your exploration as well. One more thing: the Famitsu report's a little unclear on where you need to be in the game to access this stuff, so keep that in mind if you're going to try and get around the region locks on XBL and pick this up.[/QUOTE]

Meh, maybe. If the boss is at least as hard as (but less cheap than) the Immortal One from the backyard, I'd be interested. My immortals are already gods, so they don't need any new accessories. :D

Now, if the dungeon itself is as lame as the shuffle dungeon DLC for Blue Dragon, then I might be just a little upset with Mistwalker...

[quote name='Moxio']Crap. 360 died, now I have to wait like a month before I can start up again. :(

And I had just gotten Ming.[/QUOTE]

Which version of 360 was it? My newest one held up through Lost Odyssey, so that's what I needed it for :)

Well it seems that the accessory is a skill that lets you cast any magic for 0mp. It takes 999sp to learn. And the name of the dungeon is seeker of the abyss located under the grandstaff. The boss is suppose to be the hardest boss in the game, but i'm not sure if that means its harder then the last boss (easy) or the immortal (more difficult).

Sounds decent though for 400 points.

So I do have a cleared file, but to play this would I be required to play all the way through the game again on that file? Grand Staff is no longer there on my just-before-the-end save...

I don't want to play through again. Actually, I won't. If I can access it now, though, i'll give it a go.

It looks like the DLC is giving 6 new achievments too. 1 for 50 points, and 5 for 10 points totaling 1100 for the game now. Pretty sweet.

Reached Conference Area 5B 10points
Go to Conference Area 5B in Professor K's Dungeon.

The other 5 are secret.

I have a good feeling all the DLC will be released on the american marketplace pretty soon. Mostly based on the fact that it sold so much better here. They cant be that oblivious.

[quote name='sleepy180']It looks like the DLC is giving 6 new achievments too. 1 for 50 points, and 5 for 10 points totaling 1100 for the game now. Pretty sweet.

Reached Conference Area 5B 10points
Go to Conference Area 5B in Professor K's Dungeon.

The other 5 are secret.

I have a good feeling all the DLC will be released on the american marketplace pretty soon. Mostly based on the fact that it sold so much better here. They cant be that oblivious.[/QUOTE]

Aw, man, I wasn't going to bother with this but now they are going to temp me with the cheesemints... Guess I'll have to get it then ;).

I have this feeling that the 4 10-pt secret achievements are for teaching the 999sp zero mp consumption skill to each immortal.

Please, Mistwalker, don't let it be so. This isn't Blue Dragon. You learned your lesson, right? :(

Some new info has surfaced:

Apparently there is NO SAVES, so once you die, you have to start over!

25 Floors, achievements for reaching 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, final achievement for beating boss

The enemies are supposed to be DANGEROUS, like, 3x worse than Temple of Enlightenment even at lvl 99

Spoilers for pictures of the Boss:
There is also minibosses on some of the lvls like this guy

10042008037pf9.jpg

And the final boss regens 25k each turn (Regenerus), casts a killer spell called Genocide

108800 HP

Called Kerotimet

11042008038sc9.jpg

Its out now on the japanese marketplace and is 400 points. You have to put points on your japanese account somehow but everything works fine for the american version. Region free.

Looks like we'll be spamming Divide and Splitter for yet another battle. Dunno how else to overcome 25K healing each turn unless that can be dispelled

Sounds like fun. :D Now I need an easy, cheap way of getting a small amount of Japanese points...

Hell, I didn't even use Divide/Splitter on the Immortal one. I just kept knocking down his HP bit by bit with perfect ring attacks of whatever his type was (element didn't work). The random attack and spell cancellation/absorption skills kept my immortals alive in bursts and I was able to take him down in under 30 rounds.

I almost had a meltdown today. I've been playing this game with most of the free time I've had over the past week and I made it to disk 4 today. Brand new, never been touched before and the disk wouldn't read. I look at the back and it looks fine but I wipe it down with a cloth anyways. It then registers as a DVD and not a game. I put disk three back in and wait for it to tell me to change discs and when I put 4 back it tells me I've entered the wrong disc put in Lost Odyssey disc 4... I was besides myself. I go to wipe the disc yet again and try to play it, this time I get a white and green 360ish screen that has like a sentence or two of English followed by a paragraph or two of Japanese. I was like WTF!!!

Finally, after about 20 minutes I was able to get the thing to play. Before all this happened, during the last half of disk 3 my 360 kept acting up and doing the whole disc unreadable routine. It must have done that to me like 5 times in a day and a half with a brand new disc. So I'm getting a little worried my 360 may be dying. I've heard horror stories about the process of getting it fixed too...

Hopefully, it's just this one game...

Anyways, back to topic. I'm loving this game and I'm really glad I gave it another chance because the first 90 minutes bored me to tears.

Just got this game...all I can say is it's fucking awesome. I haven't played a JRPG in a while since FFX, and this one is real good. Only question I have is are all cutscenes skippable? I don't want to try it since I don't need to but once I want to are they skippable?

If I'm remembering correctly they are. You just pause it, and hit whatever button it tells you to-back maybe.

Finally getting this game through Goozex. Kind of wish it didn't get shipped out so close to the days the TF2 medic weapons and GTA IV get released...

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Just got this game...all I can say is it's fucking awesome. I haven't played a JRPG in a while since FFX, and this one is real good. Only question I have is are all cutscenes skippable? I don't want to try it since I don't need to but once I want to are they skippable?[/quote]

Start > Back button.

So, I preordered this game and got free DLC. I put in the code to redeem the DLC back when I got the game. But, uh....what exactly was the free DLC? Am I missing something? I can't tell what I got, or where I'm supposed to go, or anything. Does anybody know what's up?

[quote name='slavefive']So, I preordered this game and got free DLC. I put in the code to redeem the DLC back when I got the game. But, uh....what exactly was the free DLC? Am I missing something? I can't tell what I got, or where I'm supposed to go, or anything. Does anybody know what's up?[/quote]

I don't know if you live in Japan but the rest of the world hasn't got the DLC yet...

[quote name='kaaspeer']I don't know if you live in Japan but the rest of the world hasn't got the DLC yet...[/QUOTE]
He's talking about the preorder bonus.

The free content is a dream you get in the Inn at the very beginning by talking to someone at the bar, and an accessory. It's the one that blocks attacks every so often.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']He's talking about the preorder bonus.

The free content is a dream you get in the Inn at the very beginning by talking to someone at the bar, and an accessory. It's the one that blocks attacks every so often.[/QUOTE]

yep, the po bonus. so it was just weapon guard and a dream? dang, i thought it was more. Which dream was it?

[quote name='slavefive']yep, the po bonus. so it was just weapon guard and a dream? dang, i thought it was more. Which dream was it?[/QUOTE]

If you create a Japanese XBL account, you can download this dream/accessory pack for free. It works just fine. All of my characters now know Weapon Guard 2. :D

(To MS and Mistwalker: I WANT PROFESSOR K'S DUNGEON NOW. BRING THE PAIN!)

The dream is about a storyteller that Kaim has to guard during a war, and it's a damn good one. Well worth the hassle to unlock it.

Game arrived last night, and I played it for about two hours.

Absolutely fantastic. Kaim doesn't seem as hollow as I thought he would be, and I like reading the unlocked dreams.

So far it's doing a far-better job of getting me hooked into the story and characters than Blue Dragon did.

[quote name='mrelusive']Game arrived last night, and I played it for about two hours.

Absolutely fantastic. Kaim doesn't seem as hollow as I thought he would be, and I like reading the unlocked dreams.

So far it's doing a far-better job of getting me hooked into the story and characters than Blue Dragon did.[/quote]

I got mine recently and I absolutely love Jansen. That guy cracks me up.

[quote name='mike.m']I got mine recently and I absolutely love Jansen. That guy cracks me up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's a great character. Typically that type of character in a Japanese RPG is painful, but he's genuinely funny, and is a real character.

I still wish the outfits these people wore were better though! Could never get that out of my head completely.

Also hope they perfect in-game kissing at some point. Not bad by game standards, but there's room for improvement.

I just finished disc 1

The miracle thing seemed incredibly cheesy to me...I thought the whole death/rebirth thing was perfectly settled at the funeral but the miraculous flowers in the forest was a bit much.

[quote name='dastly75']I just finished disc 1

The miracle thing seemed incredibly cheesy to me...I thought the whole death/rebirth thing was perfectly settled at the funeral but the miraculous flowers in the forest was a bit much.
[/quote]

The death/rebirth thing STILL isn't settled. The game comes back to it a few more times...which basically is the pretext for throwing you into a few more dungeons later on.

Damn that first boss fight was a pain in the ass. Probably died three or four times.

Just a few minutes ago I got disconnected from XBL, then when I tried to sign in again LO put me back to the main menu... I wasn't that much far from my last save point, but still pretty irritating.

[quote name='mrelusive']Damn that first boss fight was a pain in the ass. Probably died three or four times.

Just a few minutes ago I got disconnected from XBL, then when I tried to sign in again LO put me back to the main menu... I wasn't that much far from my last save point, but still pretty irritating.[/QUOTE]

That logging out part 's lame. I don't think that happened to me thankfully.

The good news about the first boss is I think he gave me more trouble than any other required boss in the entire game. Which is NUTS. I don't know what they were thinking with that. Someone said Sakaguchi even died on it when demoing the game.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That logging out part 's lame. I don't think that happened to me thankfully.

The good news about the first boss is I think he gave me more trouble than any other required boss in the entire game. Which is NUTS. I don't know what they were thinking with that. Someone said Sakaguchi even died on it when demoing the game.[/quote]

He did die, it's in one of these 2 films (not exactly sure which one, but I believe it's the first.)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28609.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28612.html

The first one and the second (Bogimoray?) were the most difficult. I've just beaten disc 3 and the last boss was a breeze once you know what the boss can do. Took me 2 tries to beat him.

Yeah i got pisssssed on the first boss. Roommate and I both got schooled a few times. Bogimoray got lucky and got me once, but after that I don't think I died until
arriving at Arthrosaurus severely underleveled.

I breezed through every boss in the game except for
the horse mounted guard encounter that attack right when you meet cooke and mack the first time at the flowers

All of the ones others had a hard time with i crushed, but they took me 6 tries or something like that.

MUCH better than Blue Dragon. The cutscenes are tedious (but not Xenosaga tedious), but the characters memorable, the storyline basic but well done, and the battles pretty solid.

At $60, I'll say maybe; if you can get it for $40, I'd say certainly.

April 23, 2008 - DLC Available to US on April 25th

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=51570

Lost Odyssey is the story of Kaim, a 1,000 year old immortal character who doesn’t remember his past and nor knows where his future lies, who set out on an odyssey to discover his intricate past and destiny, leading players through a dramatic story of massive scale. Available April 25, the bonus pack (200 MS points) includes a new dream and two items.

A new item, "The Shattered Bond," is featured in the content. When all of the playable characters have joined the player party, visit the demolished bridge in front of the Castle of Uhra with the Shattered Bond item in your possession. A cutscene will occur allowing you to view a new dream.

Another new item includes the "Killer Machine" ring forged to specialize in fighting against magic-powered weapons. And make sure to check out the "Memory Lamp" which is a special item located in the Upgraded Nautilus towards the bottom of the screen at the end of the corridor, which allows players to view the various dreams.

All of these cool new items will be available on April 25 for 200 MS points through Xbox Live Marketplace.

only 200? fuck, that's awesome! just traded my copy away, but i was still sitting at #2 in the Goozex queue for some reason, so i activated it :) gotta have my ultimate challenges. Maybe i'll stumble across treasure trove, too (yeah, right...but who knows?)

[quote name='TahoeMax']only 200? fuck, that's awesome! just traded my copy away, but i was still sitting at #2 in the Goozex queue for some reason, so i activated it :) gotta have my ultimate challenges. Maybe i'll stumble across treasure trove, too (yeah, right...but who knows?)[/quote]

doesn't look like the ultimate challenge... only 2 items and a new dream as far as I can tell.

200pts are okay for that I guess if you like to read the dreams. I don't really read the dreams (I might if I just had them in a seperate book that should be in the box!) so 200pts for 2 items is a bit steep imho.

[quote name='kaaspeer']doesn't look like the ultimate challenge... only 2 items and a new dream as far as I can tell.

200pts are okay for that I guess if you like to read the dreams. I don't really read the dreams (I might if I just had them in a seperate book that should be in the box!) so 200pts for 2 items is a bit steep imho.[/quote]

Oh LOL. I get the n00b of the day award for not actually reading what the DLC is. I instantly assumed we were getting the new dungeon and ultimate boss that Japan got. Silly me.

im excited for the new DLC, i've so far invested 84+ hours in the game, maxed everyone out and am looking for the final 3 treasures on the tip-hunt quest. then i gotta fight gongora and whatnot.

- also, question, new to this site, and i want to add my gamercard to my signature yet it refuses to let me because im only supposed to use 1 line? a way around this?-

[quote name='hohez']I breezed through every boss in the game except for
the horse mounted guard encounter that attack right when you meet cooke and mack the first time at the flowers
[/quote]

Yeah, that guy was tough too, and I was again thinking "there's no way I'll be able to beat this". That was the hardest point though for the rest of the game if I'm remembering right, and I had the toughest time on the very first boss! Crazy! If your lead designer can't beat it, maybe it's time to rethink it :D

Took me MUCH more than just two tries, and I almost quit the game.

[quote name='Deadpool']Is this better than Blue Dragon. Blue Dragon was almost tedious in the fight mechanics.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']MUCH better than Blue Dragon. The cutscenes are tedious (but not Xenosaga tedious), but the characters memorable, the storyline basic but well done, and the battles pretty solid.

At $60, I'll say maybe; if you can get it for $40, I'd say certainly.[/QUOTE]

I disagree about the cut scenes being tedious (but I like cut scenes). I think it's one of the best written Japanese RPGs ever, and had overall an very strong story. No comparison at all with Blue Dragon (which wasn't terrible but more standard IMO). I'm trying to think in regards to the battle system...
I thought both were pretty strong, but not quite up to Final Fantasy 6-10 (but very much in that tradition, which to me is a GOOD thing). I'm trying to think what the differences really were. Probably fairly similar, other than the "system" behind enhancing your characters is different. Sort of a modified esper/materia system in Lost Odyssey (FF6, FF7, FF9), and kind of a Job system in Blue Dragon.
I had more fun with Lost Odyssey, but I'm not sure how much of that was the actual gameplay, and how much was the much stronger story.

The game engine (Unreal 3.0) in Lost Odyssey didn't really impress me all THAT much. Seemed like a higher resolution Final Fantasy 10 engine, less of a gigantic jump (I am looking forward to the White engine for Final Fantasy 13, as square's technology has been cutting edge since the NES). It was a LOT better than the (Gamebryo?) engine used in Blue Dragon though. That was pretty unimpressive, and had slowdown, had to use lame camera angles to avoid showing too much of the world at once, etc. (That same engine was used to equally lame effect in the Resident Evil shooter on the Wii if I'm remembering right.)
Lost Odyssey is certainly splashy, but at the same time I couldn't help but think this could have been done on the playstation 2, or better yet the Playstation Portable (at least with mulitple UMDs...I like portable games, all things being equal!)
Which isn't to knock Lost Odyssey. I think it's basically a must-play if you're a fan of the Final Fantasy series like I am, particularly 6-10. Very similar themes and gameplay, while being it's own thing (much like each FF game is to the other games in the series). SO many great moments in it!

AAAAAAND it's set up so it could have a direct sequel pretty easily, although it doesn't need it-it is a complete story as is. There's just some very obvious and interesting things they could explore in a sequel.

[quote name='TahoeMax']Oh LOL. I get the n00b of the day award for not actually reading what the DLC is. I instantly assumed we were getting the new dungeon and ultimate boss that Japan got. Silly me.[/QUOTE]

count me a noob 2 of the day, i thought the same thing.

bread's done
Back