Machinarium for $5 (PC/Linux/Mac)

rawrker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
[IMG-R=6087]17178[/IMG-R]Shipwreck's 2 Cents: Indie developer Amanita Design is having a Pirate Amnesty Sale until August 12th in hopes of recouping some profits lost attributed to the many illegal downloads of Machinarium. They’ve cut the price of this point-and-click adventure game from $20 to a measly $5 and being the Cheap Ass I am, I decided to purchase it. I’m glad I did.

I’m about two hours into this delightfully animated game and I highly suggest picking it up if you are into the genre at all. It’s a classic story of boy robot meets girl robot, boy robot gets picked on by bully robots, boy robot and girl robot get separated, and boy robot must solve puzzles and cleverly combine objects to rectify the situation. The humor is charmingly innocent and the mind-teasers have been satisfying so far. Best of all, this game runs on PC, Linux, and Mac and has very low requirements. I’m playing it on my three year-old MacBook with no issues. As an added bonus you get MP3s of the soundtrack as well.

:pc:
apple.png
Machinarium $5.00

Right now Machinarium + its soundtrack is selling on the developer's website for only $5 until August 12th! This is apparently due to the amount of piracy involving the game, but still a nice little deal for a great game if you haven't had the chance to play it.

Note: You get downloadable versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux!

http://machinarium.net/blog/2010/08/05/machinarium-pirate-amnesty/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='msdmoney']Why would it alienate those who buy games?[/QUOTE]
I use the term consumer loosely, but for someone like me who is spectating they're drawing a line in the sand. You're either with us or against us, as if the sale wasn't designed to attract new customers but to 'redeem' pirates instead. Using piracy as a shield for failing sales is just sad.
[quote name='Vegan']Ah, yes, the "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" argument never fails to amuse me. "Oh, it's good enough for me to play, but I was NEVER going to buy it, so don't feel bad." If you use it and get enjoyment out of it, that's the part where you're supposed to pay for that experience.[/QUOTE]You'd be surprised how many pirates turn around and buy the game once it reaches their price-point.

I guess I believed Amanita Design because they're not well known at all, and, at the same time, Machinarium got a lot of attention among gaming websites. It made sense to me that those unfamiliar with Amanita Design might pirate the game instead.

I do question how statistics on pirating can even be obtained; What thief in his or her right mind would announce illegal acts? Maybe this cry of piracy does make Amanita Design's staff appear like a bunch of "crybabies," "drama queens," or gluttons out for more sales. I can't confirm anything, and I definitely understand your point of view, Jodou. However, there is something to be gained: A great game at a great price.

Even if that makes me gullible, $5 was my price point for Machinarium anyway. I get the result I wanted in a way that supports an independent developer directly.

"Good enough for me," I say; Life's too short to dwell on $5.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']
I do question how statistics on pirating can even be obtained; What thief in his or her right mind would announce illegal acts? Maybe this cry of piracy does make Amanita Design's staff appear like a bunch of "crybabies," "drama queens," or gluttons out for more sales. I can't confirm anything, and I definitely understand your point of view, Jodou. However, there is something to be gained: A great game at a great price.
[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding from reading the original AD webpage that the statistics were derived from looking at the kinds of questions that people would post on the forums. Presumably some percentage of the posts were from obvious pirates based on the context and/or content.

I found the story and how it was told one of the best examples of how videogames are not simply interactive books or movies, but their own independent leg on which communication and entertainment stand.

It's a much better experience playing it than complaining over it.

I only heard good things about the presentation and delivery of this adventure game
In for a purchase and on supporting these great developers

[quote name='Jodou']I use the term consumer loosely, but for someone like me who is spectating they're drawing a line in the sand. You're either with us or against us, as if the sale wasn't designed to attract new customers but to 'redeem' pirates instead. Using piracy as a shield for failing sales is just sad.
You'd be surprised how many pirates turn around and buy the game once it reaches their price-point.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure pirates will purchase something tangible once it comes cheap because if they have the actual DVD/CD they can always sell it off later. That isn't the case with digital downloads.

[quote name='Jodou']
You'd be surprised how many pirates turn around and buy the game once it reaches their price-point.[/QUOTE]

And you know this, how exactly? First-hand, personal experience of pirating and then buying later? Or you just hang around alot of pirates?

[quote name='keithp']And you know this, how exactly? First-hand, personal experience of pirating and then buying later? Or you just hang around alot of pirates?[/QUOTE]
All of the above.

Nowadays, I just buy games when they drop in price since I don't play as much, though.

A warning about purchasing this through them vs Steam; you can only download the game and soundtrack for up to two weeks after they send you the email confirmation. After that, you are out of luck, unless you email customer service, saying your hard drive was reformatted, or something like that. I went through this in December after I purchased it before X-mas and discovered that I couldn't download it on Xmas break. The first email wasn't returned, but the second one eventually allowed me to download it.

True, it's not as easy and convenient as Steam, so just be sure to download it and burn it to a CD sooner, rather than later.

[quote name='mikeyscheap']A warning about purchasing this through them vs Steam; you can only download the game and soundtrack for up to two weeks after they send you the email confirmation. After that, you are out of luck, unless you email customer service, saying your hard drive was reformatted, or something like that. I went through this in December after I purchased it before X-mas and discovered that I couldn't download it on Xmas break. The first email wasn't returned, but the second one eventually allowed me to download it.

True, it's not as easy and convenient as Steam, so just be sure to download it and burn it to a CD sooner, rather than later.[/QUOTE]

Stuff like this is the reason why I try to stick with Steam. Some people prefer the "freedom" of their digital games just being files that they download... I see it as a downside and prefer a client. I don't like having to keep track of and worry about some file, not losing it and such.

[quote name='Jodou']People will vote with their wallets regardless. Pirated game =/= lost sale and bitching about it only serves to alienate the consumer.[/QUOTE]
No, it alienates the dirtbags that steal the game

You want to support the people who steal games that's your decision

[quote name='Vegan']Stuff like this is the reason why I try to stick with Steam. Some people prefer the "freedom" of their digital games just being files that they download... I see it as a downside and prefer a client. I don't like having to keep track of and worry about some file, not losing it and such.[/QUOTE]

This is actually pretty typical of a direct-from-developer purchase. This is the only way they really have (other than incorporating DRM into the files, which Amanita isn't doing) to protect their IP; otherwise, you, I or anyone else could just post a link to a website and (until the dev figured it out) anyone and everyone could download their game for free.

Indie devs generally don't have the web infrastructure that a third-party vendor like Valve, Direct2drive, or Gamersgate does, with a system for maintaining lists of user accounts, databases of information on what games what users own, or (as you note) a dedicated client for file transfers. The advantage (for the dev) of you buying direct from them is that any of their sales through a third-party vendor will be at a reduced profit (because the vendor takes a percentage).

This is actually why I try to buy direct when it's feasible to do so.

[quote name='warreni']This is actually pretty typical of a direct-from-developer purchase. This is the only way they really have (other than incorporating DRM into the files, which Amanita isn't doing) to protect their IP; otherwise, you, I or anyone else could just post a link to a website and (until the dev figured it out) anyone and everyone could download their game for free.

Indie devs generally don't have the web infrastructure that a third-party vendor like Valve, Direct2drive, or Gamersgate does, with a system for maintaining lists of user accounts, databases of information on what games what users own, or (as you note) a dedicated client for file transfers. The advantage (for the dev) of you buying direct from them is that any of their sales through a third-party vendor will be at a reduced profit (because the vendor takes a percentage).

This is actually why I try to buy direct when it's feasible to do so.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, obviously, I know that. It's still my preference.

[quote name='warreni']This is actually pretty typical of a direct-from-developer purchase. This is the only way they really have (other than incorporating DRM into the files, which Amanita isn't doing) to protect their IP; otherwise, you, I or anyone else could just post a link to a website and (until the dev figured it out) anyone and everyone could download their game for free.

[/QUOTE]

They are complaining that the game is already pirated, so why act like your paying customers are pirates - it's already out there. I also question their 'estimates' based on feedback. I find it hard to believe that the point and click crowd is so rife with pirates. I doubt there are too many people out there who pirated this game who would have bought it otherwise. I'm buying it now because I've heard good things and $5 is a good price for an independent adventure. I thought $20 was too high before. The developer just sounds upset that people didn't flock to the game at their price point and are making excuses. There may be hope for them yet since this is a popular tactic of successful developers as well when a game doesn't sell as much as they'd hoped.

I just finished the demo and loved every bit of this game. Downloading (legally) right now.
$5 bucks is a steal for this game.

So, um, how's the soundtrack? For $5, for me, this is just as much a soundtrack with a game included, rather than a game with a soundtrack included.

[quote name='Vegan']Ah, yes, the "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" argument never fails to amuse me. "Oh, it's good enough for me to play, but I was NEVER going to buy it, so don't feel bad." If you use it and get enjoyment out of it, that's the part where you're supposed to pay for that experience.[/QUOTE]

Some people just download it because it's there. You'd be surprised how much overlap there is on the Venn diagram of pirates and pack rats. If only 5-15% of downloads purchased the game, then probably only 5-15% of pirates actually played the thing.

This is speaking from experience because I'd only really play about 5-15% of games I downloaded too. As an adult now with a real job and real income, I still only play about 5-15% of the games I purchase, simply because my pack rat tendencies cause me to purchase games I see on CAG just because it's an incredible deal. I mean, Christ, if you looked at my Steam list, it's something like 330 games deep, and not counting games I purchased again because I loved them and wanted them in a format I could get access to any time I wanted, I can probably count on two hands how many games I've actually played. )Primary among those being Portal and GMod.)

It's something to remember. Just because someone downloads something doesn't mean they ever actually do anything with it.

[quote name='warreni']It's my understanding from reading the original AD webpage that the statistics were derived from looking at the kinds of questions that people would post on the forums. Presumably some percentage of the posts were from obvious pirates based on the context and/or content.[/QUOTE]

It seems like you'll get the real idiots on there. The majority of paying users really have no reason to ever post on their forums, I'm sure.

[quote name='madcatz1999']So, um, how's the soundtrack? For $5, for me, this is just as much a soundtrack with a game included, rather than a game with a soundtrack included.[/QUOTE]
It's probably all on youtube, so you can always preview it there.

Why would I pay to download something I can get for free? Like seriously...... I KID KID!! Stop typing now!
I'll jump in on this, I played the demo and loved it. Sad story aside this game really is worth the 5 bucks.

[quote name='Leggo']Some people just download it because it's there. You'd be surprised how much overlap there is on the Venn diagram of pirates and pack rats. If only 5-15% of downloads purchased the game, then probably only 5-15% of pirates actually played the thing.

This is speaking from experience because I'd only really play about 5-15% of games I downloaded too.[...]

It's something to remember. Just because someone downloads something doesn't mean they ever actually do anything with it. [/QUOTE]

Then they're even stupider than I thought. Why do something illegal over and over again, risking a lengthy court battle and financial ruin, for nothing? It'd be like shoplifting from every store you go into, only to toss the goods in the trash on the way to your car.

Kind of sad the reason why they're doing this. Small little developer that really could use the money finds that 90% of the people connecting to their server are playing pirated copies.

[quote name='banodyne']connecting to their server are playing pirated copies.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what you mean here.

There is no server you connect to.

I bought it, if only in the hopes that it will let them produce a console version of this game or next. If XBLA is being too anal, at least do PSN!

If you download the game to your computer, will you always have it or will it expire. What is the difference between buying it direct or with steam?

this is like an odd pixel hunting game... made no sense to me when I got it in a bundle. I figure it may pick up but I didnt have the time to spend.

[quote name='mickeyp']If you download the game to your computer, will you always have it or will it expire. What is the difference between buying it direct or with steam?[/QUOTE]

There's no DRM, which is the whole reason for the sale.

Thanks for the post. I almost bought it at $5, but decided to get the collector's edition instead.
It turned out to be ~$20 including shipping. Machinarium CE

[quote name='Vegan']Then they're even stupider than I thought. Why do something illegal over and over again, risking a lengthy court battle and financial ruin, for nothing? It'd be like shoplifting from every store you go into, only to toss the goods in the trash on the way to your car.[/QUOTE]

ehh can we end the piracy talk? I think its sad that they feel that they need to announce they failed over piracy, and then have a sale to sorta guilt people into buying (or atleast thats how i see it)

No matter how big or small the game is, there are %'s of people who will do both, many people who want the game will look into doing it as piracy... you can argue so many points, I mean if they game can just be shared we can do the same as people do with PSN games, since in the end it hurts the sales as much as "piracy"

in the end, I think the game type is dated... and I've never heard of it before so i cant believe it was very largely advertised, but lets just blaim the pirates (they tend to be more vocal too btw =P)

[quote name='admiralvic']ehh can we end the piracy talk? I think its sad that they feel that they need to announce they failed over piracy, and then have a sale to sorta guilt people into buying (or atleast thats how i see it)

No matter how big or small the game is, there are %'s of people who will do both, many people who want the game will look into doing it as piracy... you can argue so many points, I mean if they game can just be shared we can do the same as people do with PSN games, since in the end it hurts the sales as much as "piracy"

in the end, I think the game type is dated... and I've never heard of it before so i cant believe it was very largely advertised, but lets just blaim the pirates (they tend to be more vocal too btw =P)[/QUOTE]

No, we can't. Talking about guilt and pirates is laughable. This is a niche game. A lot of people won't like it. It's great deal for a quality game though.

[quote name='moojuice']Is there any way to "activate" this on Steam so I don't have to keep the install file on my comp?[/QUOTE]

No the website said they had the option during pre-order but in the FAQs it says if you want it on steam, buy it on steam.

Add me to the list of people who would buy it if it could be registered on Steam. The steam marketing must really work, because I don't like having games that can't be registered to steam any more (unless they are legal and free games of course).

A bold idea for a sale.

Perhaps reaching out to the pirating community for sympathy(those statistics are rather alarming, indeed). It may or may not work but I reckon they'll sell more copies of the game and make more profits than if they were to have sat on their $20 price point with DRM.

I bought a copy of the game myself. Since its art style interested me in the past but not enough for me to pony up the cash to get it.

Thanks for the post on this deal! I was going to buy it when it came out but $20 seemed a bit much for me at the time. $5 is a golden price especially since it goes to the developer directly. Awesome stuff.

bread's done
Back