Machinarium for $5 (PC/Linux/Mac)

rawrker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
[IMG-R=6087]17178[/IMG-R]Shipwreck's 2 Cents: Indie developer Amanita Design is having a Pirate Amnesty Sale until August 12th in hopes of recouping some profits lost attributed to the many illegal downloads of Machinarium. They’ve cut the price of this point-and-click adventure game from $20 to a measly $5 and being the Cheap Ass I am, I decided to purchase it. I’m glad I did.

I’m about two hours into this delightfully animated game and I highly suggest picking it up if you are into the genre at all. It’s a classic story of boy robot meets girl robot, boy robot gets picked on by bully robots, boy robot and girl robot get separated, and boy robot must solve puzzles and cleverly combine objects to rectify the situation. The humor is charmingly innocent and the mind-teasers have been satisfying so far. Best of all, this game runs on PC, Linux, and Mac and has very low requirements. I’m playing it on my three year-old MacBook with no issues. As an added bonus you get MP3s of the soundtrack as well.

:pc:
apple.png
Machinarium $5.00

Right now Machinarium + its soundtrack is selling on the developer's website for only $5 until August 12th! This is apparently due to the amount of piracy involving the game, but still a nice little deal for a great game if you haven't had the chance to play it.

Note: You get downloadable versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux!

http://machinarium.net/blog/2010/08/05/machinarium-pirate-amnesty/

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree that $20 was way too much for this. Even a fully fleshed out point-and-click of the same length from Telltale Games (with a major license, to boot, just take your pick) costs only 6 or 7 dollars. If this $5 sale is very successful, I hope the developers get the message.

mI'd like to echo anyone that said pick this gem up. I got it at Christmas from the developers website for same price including the soundtrack and their other game Samorost 2 and its soundtrack as well.

Machinarium is very cool and a little hard. Can take awhile to figure out some of the puzzles. But you can play a mini-game for clues.

Its worth more than most $15.00 XBL games. ;-)

Ok, I bit on account of the glowing reviews here, plus the fact that it's the price of a lunch and lord knows I've blown more on crappy games.

Oh yeah, the demo was pretty good too. :D

Well screw it. I was going to wait for a Steam sale on this game, but after playing the demo, I had to bite. I just hate that you cannot redownload the game if something happens to your computer. Hard drive failures happen and it sucks that I might lose the game because of it.

[quote name='GreatDoink']Well screw it. I was going to wait for a Steam sale on this game, but after playing the demo, I had to bite. I just hate that you cannot redownload the game if something happens to your computer. Hard drive failures happen and it sucks that I might lose the game because of it.[/QUOTE]

Don't you have a spare CD-R/DVD-R lying around? And if you're worried about wasting all that extra space, just take some other files that are important to you (papers, install files, music, pictures, etc.) and add them to the disc as well.

Sure it's not as convenient as re-downloading it from the site, but I don't think it's THAT much more inconvenient.

[quote name='GreatDoink']Well screw it. I was going to wait for a Steam sale on this game, but after playing the demo, I had to bite. I just hate that you cannot redownload the game if something happens to your computer. Hard drive failures happen and it sucks that I might lose the game because of it.[/QUOTE]

It's $5. Consider it a rental if that happens.

Slightly OT, but I found this to be a good read since it clearly outlines the problem companies see with piracy and covers issues with DRM. Of note, this passage mirrors my opinion:
The claim often made by the games industry is that a pirated copy of a game is essentially a lost sale. This is a rather egotistical assumption, however, because games are not free. It is wrong to assume that anyone who pirates a game is someone who would want to pay for it. You don’t need to be a genius to figure out that if a person can obtain a product at the cost of a few mouse clicks, they will be incredibly inclined to do so, even if the product in question isn’t one they’ve previously desired. If, for example, you told me that I could obtain a bag of chips by pressing a button, I’d be [sic] would do so, even if I wasn’t hungry. Maybe I would use them, maybe I wouldn’t - the point is that they cost me nothing more than the second or two I spent pressing the button, so even if I never actually use this metaphorical bag of chips, I haven’t lost anything.

Now let's say you risk big legal and financial trouble by pressing the button for the free bag of chips. If you still do so, and don't eat them, you're a complete idiot.

Who here has personally known someone that got pinched for downloading?

Now, who here knows someone that was struck by lightning?

Yeah, I was checking this thread to make sure it wasn't supposed to be for the Steam version. Too bad. Had they but matched the Steam price to theirs, they'd have had the sale. If its on Steam and its one of these "little indie" games, then I got to stick by my guns. Steam or no sale.

Otherwise, I'll have discs strewn all over the place, downloads from here and there to manage, etc. I'd rather just have it all conveniently waiting for me in Steam, properly patched and downloaded or backed up via Steam backup. I can wait for the inevitable Steam sale. I've got a lot of other things (like Oblivion!) to play anyway. ;)

I bought it, if only in the hopes that it will let them produce a console version of this game or next. If XBLA is being too anal, at least do PSN!

Sigh....passed once, sale extended, they managed to hook me...so now bought this and the Doom games from steam sale, still may buy more steam games later this weekend...sigh.

bread's done
Back