Madcatz Universal Component Cable Vs. Official Sony PS2 Cable

jimbodan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
134 (100%)
Just wondering which Component cable to get for my new HDTV, either the Mad Catz PS2, Xbox cable (http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=801798), or the official Sony cable (http://www.amazon.com/PLAYSTATION-Component-Video-Connect-Cable/dp/B0000520GE)

Can anyone tell me if the MadCatz cables are any good, I'd much rather spend $15 and get both ps2 and Xbox component cables rather then spending $30 for the Ps2 cables and another $20-30 for Xbox cables. Then again if the quality is crap I'd rather not waste $15.

The official Sony cables. Buying a Mad Catz product is like telling companies "hey, I like buying bad things."

err... but seriously, you'll get much better video quality with the official ones.

Ditto. Circuit City seems to have them for $25. A month ago when I bought them they didn't have any so I got them from Amazon for $30.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but does anyone know what resolution the PS2 will output through the component cables. Also, is it adjustible or not?

[quote name='133t']Sorry to revive such an old thread, but does anyone know what resolution the PS2 will output through the component cables. Also, is it adjustible or not?[/QUOTE]

PS2 with Component wil only do 480p I believe.

I was looking throught the reviews on amazon and there was one person that said the Sony cables are for Y/Pb/Pr (which is what my 42 in. Westinghouse has) inputs and that it only works with the other kind of component. I was not aware there were even 2 different kinds of component. Can someone clear this up for me?

Okay, first of all, there are two kinds of component, but it's mostly a question of whether your TV is HD or not...

Many new SD sets have component inputs, they are labeled Y/cB/cR, pretty much all it means is "component red" and "component blue", however because the TV is SD, it can't be HD [or even progressive scan]

a pB and pR slot is capable at the very least of progressive scan, these are found in EDTV and HDTV sets.

Now, as for the cables, quite honestly, go for whatever you can find quickest and CHEAPEST.

My first set of component cables for the PS2 were Mad Catz, and quite honestly, DVD playback looked as possibly good on the PS2, and Gran Turismo and Soul Calibur displayed in 1080i perfectly.

I bought the Sony cables used at a Gamestop a few months later and did switch out for them, there might be a slight difference, but it's not enough, and on most sets you can't tell the difference....

I will add, the Sony cables are a lot flimsier than the Mad Catz..

and my Mad Catz worked with X-Box as well.

So it's up to you, the price is relatively the same and there's a few more brands out there now [Intec, Psyclone, Monster, AR, etc] so it really doesn't matter now.

I think general consensus is first party stuff is better, or at least it's always a safe bet. Personally I wouldn't touch third party stuff when games are as big a part of my life as they are.

I noticed a HUUUUUUGE difference going from Composite to S-Video, and then a pretty big difference going from S-Video to Component on my HDTV.

bread's done
Back