Madden 12 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE-Week 3 live. Deadline Monday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
and the margin between the different skill levels isnt all that great. it seems like it comes down to the user's ability to user catch on offense or to play defense with either a S or a LB.

[quote name='Deuce20602']and the margin between the different skill levels isnt all that great. it seems like it comes down to the user's ability to user catch on offense or to play defense with either a S or a LB.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely what separates the elite players from the A players. I think a huge part of being successful in this league is to limit your interceptions and try to avoid long plays on defense. If you can stay around 1 interception a game and play a defense where you don't allow more than 5 20+ yard plays a game you can probably win 8 games, no matter how bad you are overall.

Games Left
Cowboys/Redskins
Bucs/Packers
Raiders/Vikings
Jags/Browns
Eagles/Giants (Pacer, you still need to rejoin)
Broncos/Jets (being played in 10 mins)

[quote name='Deuce20602']it seems like it comes down to the user's ability to user catch on offense or to play defense with either a S or a LB.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. The problem is, it's difficult to improve your skill in these areas against people who already have it figured out. In all honesty, my intentions are to set up a "casual league" for people who are still learning how to play the game. And yes, there's something to be said for facing top competition, but taking 45-7 whippings week in and week out isn't going to help much. This league is long established, and many of the big players here are etched in stone with their dominance. The ceiling for the lesser players is so low, we might as well stay in the basement.

I feel like my play calling isn't horrible, but I just don't get the same out of my players that others get out of theirs. I see some players zig-zagging all over the field with their RB's, but I have Chris freaking Johnson, and I find myself waiting on blocks that never come or not being able to get to the outside before the defense is all over me. Maybe it's my O-line, but as you said, some players put up huge numbers with bad teams. It just sucks feeling like you want to turn your system off at half time every single game.

[quote name='Deuce20602'] You aren't terrible, you just need to dig in and really learn some of the ins and outs of the game on both sides of the ball. Practice makes perfect;)[/QUOTE]

That's the thing, nobody in this league is truly terrible (except MA :lol: ) It's just the amount of time you put in to develop your skill set. I have seen some guys really up their game compared to last year.

When I play some of the better guys in the league, I take what I learn from those games and try to incorporate it into my gameplan. Before I was in this league I would always play with my DE, but I quickly learned I was really limiting myself. I have somewhat got linebacker down but some of the elite guys can take it a step further with great FS or SS play that I am not enough close to being able to do.

[quote name='Deuce20602']

N8, i think u should stay and stick with Tennessee... when we played, you had spots where you could've raped my run D but you hesitated or were late bouncing to the outside. Throwing INTs is a inescapable reality against many of the people in this league so you also have to figure out when and how to pass on people. You aren't terrible, you just need to dig in and really learn some of the ins and outs of the game on both sides of the ball. Practice makes perfect;)[/QUOTE]

See, as someone who share's Nate's sentiment, this comes off as slightly condescending. And I mean no disrespect, because I'm sure you don't mean it that way.

The Super Bowl winners since i have joined were owners of the Panthers, Giants, Broncos and Raiders...none of those teams except maybe the Giants would be considered one of the "better" teams in the NFL. As it stands now, Doom has the Chiefs, Mog has the Bears, Cru has the 49ers, BigAt still owns the Giants... A case could be made for Ubernes and the Jets, BV and the Pats, and MasterAwesome and the Ravens, but to say that it's all about the team isn't accurate since none of them have won a SB

See that just underscores the point about the difference in skill levels in terms of users. While I'm enjoying playing you guys, two of the four games I've played have been absolutely demoralizing, and I'm counting the half against the Steelers before his connection dropped. I've been out of the game halftime in two of the four games. Yeah, practice makes perfect, but in the meantime I've gotta take 30-40 point losses. That's no fun, and I hope you guys can realize that.

[quote name='gbpackers94']That's definitely what separates the elite players from the A players. I think a huge part of being successful in this league is to limit your interceptions and try to avoid long plays on defense. If you can stay around 1 interception a game and play a defense where you don't allow more than 5 20+ yard plays a game you can probably win 8 games, no matter how bad you are overall.[/QUOTE]

Well...no offense, but while your running game was top notch, that one long TD pass you had was just you having better players than me. I had a few similar plays where my guys had chances at long catches, and they dropped the ball. Your receiver pulled it down with a defender all over him. That's just a difference in teams.

Jets and Broncos have kickoff at Mile High Stadium

Broncos fall to the Jets as Tebow throws 3 Interceptions in a 41-21 Loss. That game started out pretty even with a fair share on both sides of stalled drives but then that fumble on the kickoff seemed to seal my downfall as it was all downhill from there. I couldn't get anything going on the ground and I had to become one dimensional, which with Tebow isn't that good. One bright spot was Julius Thomas adding his 9th and 10th TDs of the Season along with 118 Rec Yards.

GG Uber.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ubernes']Games Left
Cowboys/Redskins
Bucs/Packers
Raiders/Vikings
Jags/Browns
Eagles/Giants (Pacer, you still need to rejoin)
Broncos/Jets (being played in 10 mins)[/QUOTE]

I don't know if anyone saw this from last night, but I need a sub, don't have the time to play the Browns this week.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well...no offense, but while your running game was top notch, that one long TD pass you had was just you having better players than me. I had a few similar plays where my guys had chances at long catches, and they dropped the ball. Your receiver pulled it down with a defender all over him. That's just a difference in teams.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But I did notice that he was single covered. Most of the long balls you threw I had a safety just waiting on it. I started the season with like a 6:12 TD:INT ration but I'm starting to get better at seeing how the defense is set up and audibling(?) or hot routing to take advantage of it. I think that's what Deuce means about picking up stuff and becoming more effective over time.

[quote name='jza1218']I'm kinda screwed this week with work, my kid being sick and my wife's birthday, so I'm going to need a substitute.[/QUOTE]

Who can substitute for him since I'm his opponent? I suppose we should aim for early tomorrow evening since I'm not sure who I'm playing yet tonight would be a little rough.

[quote name='venom']Jets and Broncos have kickoff at Mile High Stadium

Broncos fall to the Jets as Tebow throws 3 Interceptions in a 41-21 Loss. That game started out pretty even with a fair share on both sides of stalled drives but then that fumble on the kickoff seemed to seal my downfall as it was all downhill from there. I couldn't get anything going on the ground and I had to become one dimensional, which with Tebow isn't that good. One bright spot was Julius Thomas adding his 9th and 10th TDs of the Season along with 118 Rec Yards.

GG Uber.[/QUOTE]

GG. Two turning points in the game. One on that INT in the endzone I had and then the tide turned to my favor after the fumble on the kick off. That's just tough to recover from. I might have to get my rookie RB some more carries. He's not much faster than Greene, but he seems pretty elusive.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I agree. But I did notice that he was single covered. Most of the long balls you threw I had a safety just waiting on it. I started the season with like a 6:12 TD:INT ration but I'm starting to get better at seeing how the defense is set up and audibling(?) or hot routing to take advantage of it. I think that's what Deuce means about picking up stuff and becoming more effective over time.[/QUOTE]

It was single coverage, but I'm pretty sure I had at least two plays that were single coverage as well, and your DBs just did a better job of getting to the ball (even the interception on the deep ball was single coverage). I do think I had the most success when I was hot routing my guys based on how you were set up though.

For some reason, I feel like you have to break Madden's "patterns" where the leaping LBs aren't such a threat and receivers won't allow DBs to just strafe in front of them. When I switched up the routes from what the original play called for, they seemed to play more aggressively. I don't know, maybe that's just in my head. But hot routes seemed to work better than actual predetermined plays. I still don't know how people get so many rushing yards though. There were so many times when Turner was just literally standing up multiple players as they tried to tackle him.

On that topic, I wouldn't mind some of the elites giving more pointers so the lesser players can improve. I'm not asking anybody to give away any secrets, but in the interest of true competition and not just having a bunch of weak opponents to beat up on, it would be nice to know what play styles or techniques work. Saying "learn to control the LB" is a bit easier said than done.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Who can substitute for him since I'm his opponent? I suppose we should aim for early tomorrow evening since I'm not sure who I'm playing yet tonight would be a little rough.[/QUOTE]

Any takers for a sub early tomorrow night? I assume that means the 7-9pm EST range.

Man I'm here. The best way to reach me is by pm. I haven't been on x box lately, I didn't realize who my next opponent was. Pm with times you are free. I can go on tonight or tomorrow.

Definitely a big turning point on the Goodman Interception, I just couldn't stop Keller. I even have some quick linebackers that should've helped but Keller is too good. I guess I should've gotten Julius Thomas involved earlier. He seems to be unstoppable up the seam in the middle of the field. He just goes up there and grabs it out of the air, I love the dudes skill.

[quote name='ubernes']Games Left
Bucs/Packers[/QUOTE]

I dont know if this game is going to get played in time I sent him another pm today after he finally answered my first one after two days and he has not sent me one back. I posted telling him that I could come home early from work to play our game but he didnt reply, so I stayed at work.

Im posting again now and going to pm him again and tell that I can leave work early tomm. and get home around 9 cst (7 his time) but I have to know by 5pm tomm. if he can make it so I can tell my boss, if I dont get a answer from him im not going to leave early because I lose my shift dif when I do.

In the event of this being a possibility, if the last game we're waiting on is between teams with a combined 4 wins do we advance or wait on them to finish?

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']In the event of this being a possibility, if the last game we're waiting on is between teams with a combined 4 wins do we advance or wait on them to finish?[/QUOTE]

Not sure which game you're referring to, but we'll wait for any game regardless of the team's records assuming there's an effort from both parties and it's possible for it to be played in the near future.

So we have 2 games left it looks like. We have Browns vs Jags. We need a sub for the Jags, someone with around 2 Ws. Then we have Packers vs Bucs, which seems to have a bit of a scheduling issue. If Matt reaches out to Tanabeo, it looks like they can get it done at 10pm EST so hopefully we'll be advanced by 11pm EST tomorrow.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']In the event of this being a possibility, if the last game we're waiting on is between teams with a combined 4 wins do we advance or wait on them to finish?[/QUOTE]

Wow...

What's with the reaction? It just a what if. If the last game we're waiting is where both teams are clearly out of the playoffs should we wait for them or not? It's a way to move the season quicker so we can get to the draft and everyone can get a fresh new start sooner.

This is probably not even a common scenario so don't even get work over it.

Yeah 7-9 EST will work. I'll play someone with a better record if I need too. Even though I only have one win most my games have been close so I can handle myself.

i can sub lts try getting it advanced tonight ...... i know i have more then 2 wins but my running game sucks so ill run the whole game so at least i can get some practice in

ugh. I got home last night to find out that the power in my building was cut because of construction. I am gonna try and get to my friends house tonight to play, but if not I will need a sub, because they dont think they can get it fixed till tomorrow. Its always something

Packers vs. Bucs will go on tonight. I just PM'ed Tanabeo back and I sent him my cell phone number so he could reach me immediately via text if necessary. Sorry for the delay. I know I've been pushing the deadline with these past 2 games of mine.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Can any subs play soon? Otherwise I may be out for a few hours.[/QUOTE]

if it would allow us to advance sooner, i'm available to sub...

[quote name='Deuce20602']yep[/QUOTE]

I won't be able to do it until closer to 8pm. It should be 730 but definitely by 8. Hope that works for you guys.

[quote name='ubernes']I won't be able to do it until closer to 8pm. It should be 730 but definitely by 8. Hope that works for you guys.[/QUOTE]

i got nothin but time...

[quote name='Deuce20602']if it would allow us to advance sooner, i'm available to sub...[/QUOTE]

Packers/Bucs won't be starting til 10 P.M. Eastern, anyway, since that's when Tanabeo said he'll be getting home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back