Madden 12 Official CAG League - On official hiatus until Madden 13.

[quote name='Darth0fTheDead']Eh, I had the Cardinals in the league since Madden '10 and deployed to Afghanistan in November and on my way back to the states now.
So if you mean my bullshit-camping-trip-from-hell doesn't serve as a reason enough for my hiatus, I'm sure Cru, MA, Uber, and BV will attest to my re-admittance.[/QUOTE]

as of right now they aint makin decisions but from whats been said there is a larger number of people interestd the teams to own also they are talkin about nit letting people keep there previous teams and somehow shuffleing teams off.... i would just send bv a pm stating that u were gone and are back and then once they decide how teams are handed out or kept from the previous season then plead ur case for the cardinals.... duece was leaving for bootcamp and left the panthrrs but hurt himself and couldnt go but still had to pick a diff team since the panthers were taken just a heads up

We've still got a lot to sort out in terms of who has a spot in the league (assuming demand for teams exceeds supply, which we certainly anticipate) and also who gets what team. So calling dibs now doesn't do too much, but it certainly helps to know who is planning to come back and who isn't.

I should stress that nothing is set in stone yet, ubernes and I still have to work that all out. Under the system I'm proposing for dolling out spots in the league, there are at least 21 which are already spoken for, and likely more by the time all is said and done. As for how we're deciding teams, that's much more up in the air, but we should have it sorted out well before the game actually releases.

We're also open to suggestions on fair ways to allocate teams, since there's a less clear picture of how we'll do that than of how we'll decide who gets a spot to begin with. Sprice suggested we do a draft, which is certainly one of the options on the table, but we're open to other ideas. I've got some of my own, but I'm certainly very open to input from the rest of you guys.

[quote name='RamesuThe1']Use an online randomizer and have at it....honestly, there isn't a "fair" way to select teams, in my humble opinion.[/QUOTE]

There's certainly no way to do it which is going to satisfy everyone.

The idea of throwing everyone in the hopper and just handing out teams randomly is kind of intriguing, but at the same time there are some people who really want certain teams, I think we'd like to give them at least a chance of getting them.

Draft would add another element of excitement to the start of the season.

With a randomized draft order, that would be my vote.

Not sure how many players are "stuck" on a team though

[quote name='RamesuThe1']Everyone would have an equal chance...31:1[/QUOTE]

ya i like the thought of it being random. and if there are owners that want to trade teams that could be allowed if they both agree.
or if someone wants a team and the other owner says no then that person could offer to trade teams and to also give up like a first and second round draft pick or two first round from 2 different season obviously the first to drafts though.

it could work so many different ways.

also BV when will we know who is allowed back and who isnt. i should be able to make it this season i dont think i deploy until may 2013 so i would liek to get back in. i may have to miss 2 weeks though becuz of work but im not sure if staticz is coming back or not but if he doesnt he would prolly cover down on my games for me while im gone for work.

[quote name='DVO21']
also BV when will we know who is allowed back and who isnt.[/QUOTE]

It's not a question of "allowed" or not. Obviously if we could we'd have everyone back, but assuming demand outpaces supply that's just not feasible. Anyone who wants a spot and doesn't get one will of course go right to the top of the waitlist.

Ubernes and I have been exchanging e-mails and discussing all of this. We're pretty much in agreement on how to decide who has a guaranteed spot. I don't mind sharing the current plan, though keep in mind this is not set in stone.

Our current plan is automatic spots for:
1) Commissioners (though we're covered under the other categories anyway)
2) Past champions
3) Anyone who played in all 5 seasons of the Madden 12 league
4) Anyone who has been in multiple seasons for multiple Maddens (including 12)

By our informal count, that covers about 21 people who would automatically have spots, though we're probably forgetting a few people. The rest we would likely determine via lottery, with people having a better chance based on how much they've played in the league.

Again, that isn't set in stone, but it's the fairest option we've come up with so far.

As I said before, team allotment is more of a work in progress, and we'll have more details on all of it as we get closer to the start of the league.

Not to throw myself into the discussion, but the JV League will be back next year. I don't know if anyone would want to come over from this league (for skill reasons or otherwise), but it is an option that I at least wanted to mention. As with this league, everything is going to be relative to the amount of interest and how that interest holds up, but filling two leagues with 64 different people would be pretty damn awesome in my opinion.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not to throw myself into the discussion, but the JV League will be back next year. I don't know if anyone would want to come over from this league (for skill reasons or otherwise), but it is an option that I at least wanted to mention. As with this league, everything is going to be relative to the amount of interest and how that interest holds up, but filling two leagues with 64 different people would be pretty damn awesome in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

If I don't make the Varsity I sm definitely in for JV!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not to throw myself into the discussion, but the JV League will be back next year. I don't know if anyone would want to come over from this league (for skill reasons or otherwise), but it is an option that I at least wanted to mention. As with this league, everything is going to be relative to the amount of interest and how that interest holds up, but filling two leagues with 64 different people would be pretty damn awesome in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I was originally planning on posting to ask about whether or not I could join but after reading some posts it looks like there won't be any room. So how do I join the jv league.

[quote name='Rapid shot']Ok so I was originally planning on posting to ask about whether or not I could join but after reading some posts it looks like there won't be any room. So how do I join the jv league.[/QUOTE]

A new thread will be created for that in the next week or so. If you want to check out the thread from this past year's league, you can find it here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308105

Players in the JV League made tremendous strides this year, and most improved their skill enough to hang with a lot of the players in this league (it's my opinion that there are about 8-9 guys in this league who are just insanely good and are almost guaranteed a playoff spot...and after that, most everybody else is pretty even).

Because of that, I made a joke about changing the name from the "JV League" to the "Gentlemens League" this year instead, and ya know...I think I might actually run with it. That's not to say that it won't be a place for people who feel like they're still learning the game. But the bigger emphasis will be on sportsmanship, communication, and sharing tips to help each other improve.

I've also been mulling a few settings changes in an effort to make the games as fair as possible. All these things will be discussed in the thread though before anything is set in stone. So, definitely, anybody who thinks the JV League would be a good fit for them, keep an eye out for the new thread.

[quote name='DVO21']either way i plan to be in one of the leagues so whatever happens happens[/QUOTE]

I thought about addressing this point in my response to Rapid shot, but since your post kind of brings it up, I'll mention it now. Since we're all expecting a lot of interest for Madden this year, I'm planning on giving team selection priority to people who are exclusively in the JV League (ie. I can't hold the Cowboys for you if someone who is ONLY going to play in the JV League wants them). On the off chance that we do fill both leagues, it wouldn't really be fair to be holding teams for people wanting to double up from the beginning.

Hopefully it won't be an issue though, and people will know where they're going to be long before the game is out.

I like the idea for the randomized order for team selection. In the past, I think the Redskins were the only team I'd cringe a little to play as, but RG3 along with a set of competent receivers has changed that finally, I'd be happy with any team....although I'd love to be the Panthers :) But if we continue honoring real-life trades, then it really would suck to be the Redskins...trading 2 future 1st rounders just to move 2 spots or whatever in the draft!

I don't know if anyone has read up on this "Connected Careers" mode, but Madden 13 looks like it's gonna be almost unrecognizable from Madden 12 in terms of the online franchise. Player progression is out the door now...it's gonna be utilizing an XP system, so you could invest all your points into raising the XP of some undrafted rookie and turn him into a superstar. I'm guessing the higher round picks are gonna start out with higher attributes/OVR, so it would be a lot more expensive to invest in a late-round pick. I could see people finding some hidden gem with 10 awareness and amazing in everything else and just disregard awareness and creating a beast though. I dunno if you can really call those "hidden gems" anymore though since people know for the most part what to look for in draft picks by now.

Should we start opening some discussion as to whether we want to utilize some of the new features in Connected Careers? Well I don't really know ALL the features yet...but I'm mainly talking about the salary cap I guess. Would people be interested in adding that to the league? It would make trading a little more regulated so people can't complain about BV getting stacked rosters like usual!!!!

I definitely think there is going to be a 'feeling out' stage this year. I'm still confused by Connected Careers, though I haven't actually read much about it.

[quote name='MasterAwesome']But if we continue honoring real-life trades[/QUOTE]

We haven't decided for sure yet, but my sense is that most people don't want to keep doing that, and in that case we probably won't.

[quote name='MasterAwesome']
Should we start opening some discussion as to whether we want to utilize some of the new features in Connected Careers? [/QUOTE]

By all means. I'm in the same boat as you, I don't really have enough information on it yet to form an educated opinion, but it'll definitely be something we need to figure out before we get rolling.

As in past years, we'll probably take at least a week (if not two) after release before we get the league going. We typically do it to give everyone a chance to get the game and also wait for the first roster update, but this year it would also give everyone a chance to get acclimated to the new system.

Also, I'll be on vacation the week after the game comes out, so everyone will get a leg up on me. ;)

http://www.e-athlete.net/blog/3/ent...franchise-replaced-by-connected-careers-mode/

The 2 Minute Drill

This is going to be a long post. The quick, 2 minute summary of the Connected Careers mode is as follows:
32 users - human or CPU controlled
Users control an individual player or team (as a coach)
Salary Cap w/ Free Agency
Real Player Contracts
Rookie Scouting and Rookie Draft with traded draft picks
Get Fired or released from your team
Play up to 30 Seasons
Practice with your team
Player progressions from game to game, season to season (using xp you earn from weekly and season long milestones)
Stories generated each week based on what's happening in the league including trades
Faux tweets from in-game Twitter accounts from sports reporters Adam Schefter, Rich Eisen, and Skip Bayless.
Website/Cell phone App integration

We'll see if EA can pull this off. Salary cap or bust.

Thankfully it seems like it will be pretty customizable, so we should be able to find settings that work for us.

The XP system does worry me a bit, since I think it could actually lead to more unbalanced teams with the better/more committed players being able to develop their teams much further.

Edit: Though a salary cap will definitely help curb that somewhat.

It does all sound pretty exciting, hopefully it's good enough that we won't even need XFN this year!

[quote name='Doomtime']Get Fired or released from your team[/QUOTE]

Um...this might be a good reason for people to give some thought to which league they belong in in terms of skill. People who don't usually finish with great records could get kicked out of the league....by the league, lol. Unless you can get fired as a coach and then just immediately get "rehired" (which would be pretty hilarious). I'm really curious to see how that part of it is going to work online.

I hope that you are able to limit the XP aspect. I read the article doom posted and you can gain XP by practicing with your team, which scares me a bit. Hopefully there are XP limits so that guys with too much free time don't get an advantage.

Though all of these new features are awesome! Who wants a Left Tackle only league :D

[quote name='staticz']I hope that you are able to limit the XP aspect. I read the article doom posted and you can gain XP by practicing with your team, which scares me a bit. Hopefully there are XP limits so that guys with too much free time don't get an advantage.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if it turns out the new system creates an unfair playing field, we'll certainly look into ways of balancing it.

[quote name='RamesuThe1']I'd venture a guess and say you get a certain amount of snaps in any given practice...[/QUOTE]

Yeah but they would have to limit how many times you can practice as well. I'm sure it is all built in, but knowing EA....

[quote name='sprice8688']we plan on waiting 2 weekz after it comes out right... y not give it a test run and see what its like[/QUOTE]

We definitely will. All we can do now is speculate.

It would be cool if some of these features found their way into a demo, but I highly doubt that.

[quote name='Doomtime']Prediction

EA allows players to purchase XP.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on finding the world's smallest limb to go out on. ;)

[quote name='Doomtime']Prediction

EA allows players to purchase XP.[/QUOTE]

After playing NCAA 13 I can assure you that and many other types of dlc will be available.

[quote name='bvharris']Congratulations on finding the world's smallest limb to go out on. ;)[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Looking forward to being back. Haven't turned on my 360 in weeks.

After a long break ..

I am looking forward to league games again!

I had to take time off for family\work reasons, so I apologize for just vanishing.

[quote name='staticz']After playing NCAA 13 I can assure you that and many other types of dlc will be available.[/QUOTE]

EA has been selling "cheat codes" for NCAA for several years now, nothing new

i think my main league might be the jv this year but if there is a spot for me here i would like to take it but i have a feeling that its going to be all full in this league this year not feeling to good about getting a spot here

[quote name='Doomtime']:lol:

Looking forward to being back. Haven't turned on my 360 in weeks.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling.

I'm excited to get back into the swing of things with Madden 13.

[quote name='bvharris']So calling dibs now doesn't do too much, but it certainly helps to know who is planning to come back and who isn't.[/QUOTE]

I'm coming back, and having used my Packers in every "official" CAG Xbox 360 Madden league yet, I want 'em back. That's where I stand on the team selection issue.

So what's up with teams? I like the idea of who has had a team for the vast majority of the league be able to have first dibs. Not at all into this whole lottery/raffle stuff.

[quote name='Darth0fTheDead']So what's up with teams? I like the idea of who has had a team for the vast majority of the league be able to have first dibs. Not at all into this whole lottery/raffle stuff.[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread. The lottery/raffle thing is likely what it's going to be though.

bread's done
Back