Major Bad News for Rhino Shoppers - Rhino Bought by GameStop

My friend who works at Gamestop Corp. in the Loss Prevention Department is one of the leads, and they're going out to Florida next week to make sure all the inventory and stuff from the take over will go smooth. Here's to Gamestop monopolizing the used/trade game market even more!

Okay, got some info. Treat it as hearsay, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity.

- Rhino HQ in Gainesville, FL is dead. Sacked. Gone. I understand that district leaders are being kept, but anything higher appears to be no more.

- Inventory teams will be going to Rhino stores and starting fresh with the inventory counts and the Gamestop POS. The Rhino software and data will not be used at all.

- Meetings are being held in each district. The Chattanooga meeting mentioned is just one for that district.

- It seems that no one had any idea. Not the majority of HQ, not district leaders, certainly not store managers. Apparently it was a shock to everyone.

- No word yet on how credit will be handled, but personally I would advise you to use any you have before the 14th. It may be fine after that, but it may also be a nightmare. If I get word on this matter, I'll post.

- Kiss 2-for-1 and free lifetime warranties goodbye.

- I expect all prices and trade values to mirror Gamestop's by the 15th. That's just my speculation based on the other information, however.

- No word on the merchandise that GS doesn't sell. It will probably go to clearance or simply be removed from stores and sold on other markets.

Again, none of this has been officially confirmed. Treat as speculation until official word is out.

In the words of Jack Bauer, "DAMMIT!"

I'm glad I stopped shopping at GameStop long ago....I either do my trading at itradevideogames.com, or shop online or at Best Buy.

GameStop is to VG Retail as G4 is to VG TV. fuck GameStop.

~HotShotX

[quote name='hxhawkeye']Okay, got some info. Treat it as hearsay, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity.

- Rhino HQ in Gainesville, FL is dead. Sacked. Gone. I understand that district leaders are being kept, but anything higher appears to be no more.

- Inventory teams will be going to Rhino stores and starting fresh with the inventory counts and the Gamestop POS. The Rhino software and data will not be used at all.

- Meetings are being held in each district. The Chattanooga meeting mentioned is just one for that district.

- It seems that no one had any idea. Not the majority of HQ, not district leaders, certainly not store managers. Apparently it was a shock to everyone.

- No word yet on how credit will be handled, but personally I would advise you to use any you have before the 14th. It may be fine after that, but it may also be a nightmare. If I get word on this matter, I'll post.

- Kiss 2-for-1 and free lifetime warranties goodbye.

- I expect all prices and trade values to mirror Gamestop's by the 15th. That's just my speculation based on the other information, however.

- No word on the merchandise that GS doesn't sell. It will probably go to clearance or simply be removed from stores and sold on other markets.

Again, none of this has been officially confirmed. Treat as speculation until official word is out.

In the words of Jack Bauer, "DAMMIT!"[/QUOTE]

So we have until the 15th to do the 2 for 1's still? You think they would stop trade-in's a few days earlier, because it's hard to do inventory counts when inventory keeps coming in.

I wonder what the legal termage will look like with the lifetime guarantee on games I have already. I mean, guarantees are good as long as the store is still called Rhino, but can they legally revoke all warranties effective across the board?

As an innocent party, I don't believe the contract can be voided like that without due and proper notice.

People that are always complaining about EB & Gamestop....now might be a good time to consider not giving them any more of your business. Keep supporting them and they'll just keep gobbling up more used game chains.

[quote name='norkusa']People that are always complaining about EB & Gamestop....now might be a good time to consider not giving them any more of your business. Keep supporting them and they'll just keep gobbling up more used game chains.[/quote]

I agree. I've been bad about this because my local Gamestop is great. I've never had a single problem in there, and it sucks so much that they're a part of the big Evil Corporation.

[quote name='such great heights']I agree. I've been bad about this because my local Gamestop is great. I've never had a single problem in there, and it sucks so much that they're a part of the big Evil Corporation.[/QUOTE]

If you actually enjoy shopping there, it's not a problem then. My issue is with the people that constantly complain about EB/GS, yet still shop there. The only way they are going to improve there business model is if they see that they are loosing customers. Put your money where your mouth is and take your business elsewhere....that's the only way they'll learn. That's what I do.

[quote name='such great heights']I agree. I've been bad about this because my local Gamestop is great. I've never had a single problem in there, and it sucks so much that they're a part of the big Evil Corporation.[/quote]

I hope your not talking about the one off 92 exit 7 because that one is horrible. You end up kicking over magazine racks and displays just walking through the place since its so cluttered. Only the eb shoebox at town center is worse...

Looks like my Toys-R-Us clearance haul will be used up by the weekend to get 2 for 1 games before the deal is over. Ill have every PS3 game I didnt want... Time to use and abuse the 2 for 1 deal. ARGH! I HATE GAMESTOP!

On a side note: I pre-ordered Metal Gear P.O. at Gamestop to get the nice case cover thingy, and to this day, they have not called me for my game. Its so nice to know that fucking animated woman omitted my name from her call list. Oh how I love Gamestop.

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']I never found nothing wrong at my Gamestop at all really. I dont see why all the hate at a video game store.[/QUOTE]

I don't like GS because of their prices. Trade-in's suck and used is usually only about $5 less than what you'd pay for new. I just buy/sell/trade online now and am much better off that way.

Another reason why I don't shop there any longer is because I kept getting 'New' games that were unsealed. I don't mind getting them like that once in a while, but after the 5th time in a row getting a new game like that, I got fed-up with and decided I was never buying anything from them again.

[quote name='norkusa']
Another reason why I don't shop there any longer is because I kept getting 'New' games that were unsealed. I don't mind getting them like that once in a while, but after the 5th time in a row getting a new game like that, I got fed-up with and decided I was never buying anything from them again.[/QUOTE]

Rhino does this exact same thing too. 3 out of 5 new 360 games I got there were new but unsealed, so it wasn't really a GS specific thing.

Well I know rhino still lets employees check out games, and I know EB/GS used to back in the day. Not sure if they still do though.

I have seen one EB that kept most of the cases on the wall for new releases, and had a stack of paper sleeves with the actual game in them. I found this rather odd, then again it was the only EB I was ever carded at too..so maybe just a wierd manager.

[quote name='Roufuss']Here in Tampa, there is both an EB and a GS two minutes up the street from Rhino. This will make three stores in such a tiny area, and that's not even counting the other 20 + stores all over the area.
[/QUOTE]

You must go to the same Rhino I do, Roufuss. I didn't do many trade-ins or buy any new games from them, but their selection of older and used games is way better than EB or GameStop. I'll definitely miss them if they become another GameStop. :whistle2:(

[quote name='kjauburn']I hope your not talking about the one off 92 exit 7 because that one is horrible. You end up kicking over magazine racks and displays just walking through the place since its so cluttered. Only the eb shoebox at town center is worse...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The other day it ranked of ass. I had to leave immediately before the glitter could be sewn.

I havent done the 2 4 1 yet, due to money restraints and not wanting to screw over a good store, but now since Gamestop is going to own them, I think it is time to unload my crap games, and with all the pawn shopping I do, getting a crap game for cheap is not that hard.

[quote name='norkusa']I don't like GS because of their prices. Trade-in's suck and used is usually only about $5 less than what you'd pay for new. I just buy/sell/trade online now and am much better off that way.

Another reason why I don't shop there any longer is because I kept getting 'New' games that were unsealed. I don't mind getting them like that once in a while, but after the 5th time in a row getting a new game like that, I got fed-up with and decided I was never buying anything from them again.[/quote]
I guess the service at your store isnt good. I just go up to the counter if I want a new game. They always give me a new sealed up copy instead of a opened case with a scratched game. I have to agree about trade-ins however.

There is nothing worth shit in a single EB/Gamestop I've been in in the past year. I still go in EB occasionally, but to talk to my friends that work there. They don't like the place either, but it still counts as a job dealing with video games for a living. It works.

UPDATE!

Store credit is safe. I understand that there will be an incentive to convert it to Gamestop credit, i.e. you will get a 25% bonus for converting your Rhino credit. (Don't hold me to that percentage, though). So you may want to instead HOLD ON to your Rhino dollars and even trade in some things now for more credit later.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='norkusa']People that are always complaining about EB & Gamestop....now might be a good time to consider not giving them any more of your business. Keep supporting them and they'll just keep gobbling up more used game chains.[/QUOTE]

The handful of times I actually bought from either store last years was trade bait for Rhino, and the DK Bongos one of the few times we benefit from a GS fuck up (buying too many of the damn things)

Looking over my games I counted between 35-40 2 for one's at Rhino in the 13 months Ive shopped there, plus many more through regular trading, and that amazing clearance sale they had last year

[quote name='zman73']Looking over my games I counted between 35-40 2 for one's at Rhino in the 13 months Ive shopped there, plus many more through regular trading, and that amazing clearance sale they had last year[/quote]

131 games total for me over a 4 year span.

I just had an idea...

What do Rhino fans think about holding a candlelight vigil?
I think a few guys showing up Rhino locations at night with candles and flowers would be really funny.

It could even be CAG sponsored. Your thoughts?

[quote name='CheapyD']I just had an idea...

I think a few guys showing up Rhino locations at night with candles and flowers would be really funny.

It could even be CAG sponsored. Your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of pouring a 40oz on the sidewalk outside of Rhino, but I'm pretty sure I could get arrested for that.

It could even be CAG sponsored. Your thoughts?[/quote]

Candlelight Vigil to the end of a era. Really Rhino seemed to be the last old school game chain in the southeast. The 3 things that made Rhino special I don't think you will see again.

R.I.P

1. Return any game you buy within 7 days for any reason. If it sucked or you just felt it was to short take it back and choose something else.

2. Free lifetime guarantees on all games you purchased.

3. Trade in 2 qualifying games that receive $10 in credit for a new $50 game.

[quote name='Roufuss']I was thinking of pouring a 40oz on the sidewalk outside of Rhino, but I'm pretty sure I could get arrested for that.[/quote]
:rofl: Do it!!!

It could even be CAG sponsored. Your thoughts?[/quote]

DONE.

[quote name='CheapyD']By the way, I was 100% serious.
I just want to make sure we have a few guys show up at a location....[/quote]

I would say Nashville, Woodstock, or Tampa would be the 3 locations this could most likely happen based upon the loyal Rhino Cagers, but maybe a few areas could prove me wrong. Remember CheapyD isn't asking you to do something stupid or illegal. I can see it now 6 Cagers arrested outside Rhino for stripping naked with the words lick my balls gamestop. Before you know it one of them turns out to be underage and Cheapy is on trial next to the girls gone wild CEO.

[quote name='kjauburn']I would say Nashville, Woodstock, or Tampa would be the 3 locations this could most likely happen based upon the loyal Rhino Cagers, but maybe a few areas could prove me wrong. Remember CheapyD isn't asking you to do something stupid or illegal. I can see it now 6 Cagers arrested outside Rhino for stripping naked with the words lick my balls gamestop. Before you know it one of them turns out to be underage and Cheapy is on trial next to the girls gone wild CEO.[/quote]
Good thing I've already fled the country.

If you are interested in being an organizer of such an event...please PM me.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
That being said, I would only go and shit on the front doorstep of that Rhino out there in South Augusta.[/QUOTE]

At least the employees are nice. Kiss that goodbye soon, too.

And if you took a dump on the doorstep, some of the hobos might gather around it next cold spell. Do them a favor.

[quote name='such great heights']DONE.[/quote]

Well Such Great heights I live a mile from the woodstock Rhino and have a video camera. I know Neocisco drives past it on the way home from work. Find some large plastic tombstones and your ready to go...

[quote name='CocheseUGA']At least the employees are nice. Kiss that goodbye soon, too.

And if you took a dump on the doorstep, some of the hobos might gather around it next cold spell. Do them a favor.[/quote]

Yeah the employees are going to jump ship once gamestop benefits/pay is put into place. Plus you know they won't be allowed to test out the games all day like the do now. A few people have told me the best thing about working there is the ability to "check out" games from the store overnight, but they might have ended this awhile back...

[quote name='kjauburn']Well Such Great heights I live a mile from the woodstock Rhino and have a video camera. I know Neocisco drives past it on the way home from work. Find some large plastic tombstones and your ready to go...[/quote]

Hahaha. I'm sure the Wal-Mart or Dollar Tree next door would have something suitable. Maybe get some good stereo equipment, blast "I Will Always Love You," return it the next day...

It totally sucks for Jacksonville, with 6 area Rhino stores. A lot of my good buds work there. I hope they don't just can them, that would be the assholish thing to do, so I would not put it past them. RIP rhino RIP my good friend

[quote name='CheapyD']CAG can cover reasonable expenses such as flowers, candles, etc...[/quote]

Okay this could actually make a cool contest. Best video on Rhino's End...

[quote name='CocheseUGA']At least the employees are nice. Kiss that goodbye soon, too.

And if you took a dump on the doorstep, some of the hobos might gather around it next cold spell. Do them a favor.[/quote]

Most of them are, except one or two. I think they fired that assclown manager though. I've never seen him in there since the incident.

I hope GS doesnt fire off all the managers, I find the one near my home very courteous, yes I have taken advantage of the 2 for ones, spread out over 4 stores, but also purchased LOTS and LOTS from them as well

of course this gives me excuse to tackle the mountain of games in my collection, I would have loved to take advantage of this on PS3 games when I got a system

Regarding the vigil...who here lives in Alabama, specifically Huntsville/Madison, Montgomery, or Auburn-Opelika? I'd be up for a vigil at any of those locations. The Opelika store is closest to my heart, but I've worked at all of them at some point. I'd be up for it if we can get enough people.

Cheapy, maybe get something on the main page about this so we can better measure interest? Seeing as how it's official and no longer just rumor.

[quote name='kjauburn']I would say Nashville, Woodstock, or Tampa would be the 3 locations this could most likely happen based upon the loyal Rhino Cagers, but maybe a few areas could prove me wrong. .[/QUOTE]

I'd have to pass, since the manager at the Tampa store dosen't like me at all, and I don't need to give him a reason to get pissed at me and do something stupid like call the cops (I wouldn't put it past this guy... people in my area know who I mean).

I'll probably go Saturday to trade my games since he'll be gone at that meeting if the sources are correct.

Oh my god.....I can't believe they are turning Rhino Video Game stores in Gamestops now. This is just insane.....do you hate GS even more now for doing this?

Don't believe they will can them.. Roomate is a SM at GS and they got an e-mail from the president of the company welcoming the staff currently working in the stores...

I'm guessing Cheapy isn't a fan of GS either? :lol:

bread's done
Back