Man decapitated on Canadian bus

Just got back from a month planting trees. Took a Greyhound from Edmonton to Saskatoon the day after this happened. For a brief second, I considered sneaking (it would have been very easy) my planting shovel on with me. Then I realized that that was fucking retarded, as one guy going nuts and stabbing someone on a bus did not make it any more likely that I would be harmed by a fellow passenger, and it (my shovel) would only freak people out if they saw it.

As for whether or not people should have attacked the attacker? fuck no! Unless you yourself have some way to quickly take the guy out, about the only thing that would get you is a knife somewhere in your body. Yes, a group of people could probably take him down with not-too-much risk to themselves, but it's not like an RTS where I can just group together a few guys and give 'em the attack-move order. By the time I'm able to communicate, "you grab that arm, you grab that arm, I'll knock him out" to the two nearest passengers, the victim has already been turned into Caesar. Now, if you just happen to have snuck a shovel in, then you've got no excuse not to help...

I had a feeling that a horde of locusts would sweep o'er the land like an all-consuming plague, but it looks like we were both off the mark today, Mike.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Knives are pretty easy to conceal, JMEPO. :whistle2:?

I wonder why the rest of the passengers initially fled rather than trying to help the victim. :whistle2:|[/quote]

Probably because of the crazy guy with a knife.

[quote name='camoor']Analogy is the cognitive process of transferring information from a particular subject (the analogue or source) to another particular subject (the target)

They had a section about this on the SAT, your tutor should have covered it.[/quote]

Wut.

That doesn't make your analogy any less invalid.

[quote name='bardockkun']For some reason I was thinking more Transformers the animated movie where Hot Rod jumps in and Megatron uses him as hostage and that gets Optimus killed....[/quote]

That works too, but the zero probably won't understand because your example involves cars that transform into personified robots, and not human beings holding knives.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='js1']Pimpinc, You bring up some good points.You also made me remember somthing I saw on TV on dateline about 2-3 months ago, it had to do with people not helping in situations that happen in broad daylight and in front of a group of people.

There was some psychologists on the program saying that when an event like a violent act happens in a public area, the main reason people don't respond is because most people think "someone else will do something to stop it."
I think that is very true, most people would be very passive, scared in crazy situations and would want to run away.[/quote]

i don't think this is the bystander effect. This is simply a matter of self preservation. The bystander effect is when someone is out of harms way, and can no way (or almost) be directly effected "helping" during a situation. For example, if someone could see this going on and was in another car with a cell phone, and sheltered in darkness and did nothing. And when asked why they didn't call for help they either thought someone else would do/done it, or an irrational belief that it would cause them potential harm (I am sure he saw me, and he would see me calling and what if he escaped and ran to my car and broke the window and got in etc.)

These people were in the direct line of danger. Not to mention the shock and if they had loved ones on the bus that they were protecting. Also in their mind, here is someone with a knife no more than 15 feet away, and could have a gun and has no respect for human life. That is just logic and self preservation. The mind weighed the odds and chose flight rather than fight

I don't get you guys. Everyone here wants the people in the bus to jump on the attacker. Don't forget the guy has decapitated a sleeping guy with a knife. So he's crazy and has a weapon. Unless you have some balls of steel, the smartest move would be to get out, have someone call 911 then possibly grab something to take the guy down.

I wouldn't attack a psychopath with a knife with my bare hands, no way in hell.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']I don't get you guys. Everyone here wants the people in the bus to jump on the attacker. Don't forget the guy has decapitated a sleeping guy with a knife. So he's crazy and has a weapon. Unless you have some balls of steel, the smartest move would be to get out, have someone call 911 then possibly grab something to take the guy down.

I wouldn't attack a psychopath with a knife with my bare hands, no way in hell.[/quote]

Everyone here =/= the one guy who proposed that. I think he's batshit crazy.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']I don't get you guys. Everyone here wants the people in the bus to jump on the attacker. Don't forget the guy has decapitated a sleeping guy with a knife. So he's crazy and has a weapon. Unless you have some balls of steel, the smartest move would be to get out, have someone call 911 then possibly grab something to take the guy down.

I wouldn't attack a psychopath with a knife with my bare hands, no way in hell.[/quote]

Balls of steel. I bet Duke Nukem would disarm the guy.

This thread made me realize that if I am every being stabbed on a Greyhound bus, I would want Pimpin to be on it. Screw the rest of you!

[quote name='karkyco']Well, I was going to make a comment about the assailant committing the attack/murder because he had the stereotypical Asian male penis complex, but...

EDIT: DOH! The BBC story didn't ID him. Yahoo did:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080801/ap_on_re_ca/canada_bus_stabbing

His name is Vince "Weiguang" Li. As we all know, Weiguang translates to "Psycho Mother fucker with a Napoleanic Complex Stemming from His Udon Noodle/Baby Dick"[/quote]

The Napoleon complex has been widely proven to be nothing more than a social stereotype. Most studies support the idea that in Human beings taller people are slightly more aggressive than short or average people, which is completely contradicting to the theory of the Napoleon Complex. Also, Napoleon is now believed to have been about average height for his time.

Also yes these comments may not really be racist, but they are definitely in bad taste.

[quote name='gareman']The Napoleon complex has been widely proven to be nothing more than a social stereotype. Most studies support the idea that in Human beings taller people are slightly more aggressive than short or average people, which is completely contradicting to the theory of the Napoleon Complex. Also, Napoleon is now believed to have been about average height for his time.

Also yes these comments may not really be racist, but they are definitely in bad taste.[/quote]

Sure, if you want to be objective, but some people do feel the need to make up for their height with aggression. All stereotypes have some truth to them.

Also, I think it was more in poor taste for the damned slant to cut that man's head off. :p

[quote name='The Crotch']He'd run away faster than any of us, Bones.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I'm one of those typical pussy ass citizens who won't lend a helping hand for someone in need :roll:

[quote name='ykcil542']Just noticed this similar story on BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7539944.stm

What's up with all these fucked up killings? Can't anyone just get shot anymore?[/QUOTE]

Beheadings have been around for ages, I think the most memorable one i've heard of was the guy who had a pregnant wife but found out she was cheating, while she was giving birth he walks into the room, takes out her lovers head and drops it on her bed.

[quote name='coolsteel']Beheadings have been around for ages, I think the most memorable one i've heard of was the guy who had a pregnant wife but found out she was cheating, while she was giving birth he walks into the room, takes out her lovers head and drops it on her bed.[/quote]

damn, thats cold blooded

[quote name='coolsteel']Beheadings have been around for ages, I think the most memorable one i've heard of was the guy who had a pregnant wife but found out she was cheating, while she was giving birth he walks into the room, takes out her lovers head and drops it on her bed.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit that's Nucking Futs!

fucking Dickie Roberts.

Seriously that's crazy.

[quote name='GTzerO']Sure, if you want to be objective, but some people do feel the need to make up for their height with aggression. All stereotypes have some truth to them.

Also, I think it was more in poor taste for the damned slant to cut that man's head off. :p[/quote]

Yes all stereotypes have "some" truth to them, as in there will always be a small group of people that fit them. Not all gay men have effeminate voices, but I do one or two that do. Not all black people love fried chicken, but I know a few that do. Not all Asian people are good at school, but I know a couple that are. Not all white people are socially inconsiderate and racist, but I know at least one that is.

We all have stereotypes about people and groups, but when you start to impose motive, treating, expecting, or acting a certain way towards a person based on stereotype then it becomes a prejudice.

Wow...could we please not use racial slurs.

big difference from what you say you'd and what you'd actually do in the situation.

i was listening to NPR and they were talking about emergency situations and how the most common response is people just shutting down and doing absolutely nothing. there was a boat accident in '92 or something and people were apparently just sitting in groups, not making any effort to escape.

blows my mind, but i can't say i wouldn't do the same.

[quote name='tehweezner']big difference from what you say you'd and what you'd actually do in the situation.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Besides the first rule of life saving/rescue etc. is to not put your own safety in jeopardy.

Call me callous, but I'm not about to put myself at risk in such a situation unless it's a friend or loved one being attacked.

[quote name='gareman']
Wow...could we please not use racial slurs.[/quote]

How up tight do you have to be to get offended by someone calling someone else a racial slur over the internet? Plus it was obviously a joke.....

Okay, I'm sorry.

It was in bad taste for that damned Chinese man to cut the guy's head off.

[quote name='mrelusive']The victim's funeral is tomorrow. Sadly, those fucks at Westboro Church will attempt to protest at the funeral. Ontario border patrols blocked one group, but the other got through and are here now.

Lots of anger being thrown around now. Tomorrow is not going to be pretty.

http://www.newwinnipeg.com/community/comments.php?DiscussionID=4755&page=1[/quote]

Seriously, not only is the Westboro Church completely hate filled and awful human beings, but they love to latch onto anything that has been picked up by the mainstream media.

It is awful. I think a non-violent protest that blocks them from the view of the funeral goers is in order. Much in the way the students used the angel wings to block them from view during the Matthew Sheppard service.

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_fAYl4Th4

First of all, that was fucking weak.

Second, just thought I'd mention that the Westboro Baptist Church did not show up at the funeral after all.

bread's done
Back