Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Just came here to post about the demo, looks like I was beaten though :cool:

I am excited to see the E3 Microsoft Press conference today - hopefully Mass Effect gets some love.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I am excited to see the E3 Microsoft Press conference today - hopefully Mass Effect gets some love.[/QUOTE]

I hope so too.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Just came here to post about the demo, looks like I was beaten though :cool:

I am excited to see the E3 Microsoft Press conference today - hopefully Mass Effect gets some love.[/QUOTE]Nice to see you can be beaten to the punch once in a while. ;)

I agree, ME should hopefully get some love. I'd wager we'll see an announcement about Overlord, since it'll be available tomorrow, maybe some additional DLC info, plus a teaser for ME3.

[quote name='reddjoey']The video is available seperately.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0bbf0035-0000-4000-8000-0000454108ce

It's a decent summary. You have to wonder why they didn't have that come out at ME2's launch[/QUOTE]Well, so much for downloading the demo. 109MB, thank you very much. ;)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I blame the World Cup for that. Don't get too used to it, though :cool:[/QUOTE]I'll enjoy it while I can. :cool:

I think it's great that the Previously on Mass Effect video describes Shepard as being male. For me, it's even more evidence that the role of Shepard was not meant to be portrayed by a female lead :cool:

Can't wait to see that "Previously on Mass Effect" video tonight. I'll have to sneak it in between some of the press conferences....E3 is killing work productivity.

Anyway, that little snippet about the demo is from the following link, which also mentions a premium theme based on Omega going up this week as well! Get yer points ready.

http://links.assetize.com/links/fee817

I've played Mass Effect a bunch on PC, but I still got the epic feel from playing the Demo. Anyone trying it out for the first time will definitely get an urge to buy the game. I have to say though, the graphics are definitely a step down from what I am used to from the PC version, though that was to be expected.

[quote name='reddjoey']It's a decent summary. You have to wonder why they didn't have that come out at ME2's launch[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it's out now to try and attract a new wave of customers. With this demo out and a price drop now (according to the official redesigned ME2 site), it makes sense that they're trying to sell a few more copies.

[quote name='Arikado']I'm guessing it's out now to try and attract a new wave of customers. With this demo out and a price drop now (according to the official redesigned ME2 site), it makes sense that they're trying to sell a few more copies.[/QUOTE]Didn't see that they dropped the price down to $40. That should get some people to pick it up, especially if they have pre-order credits from Amazon or GS.

Right now, it's supposedly $20 at KMart this week, so that gives you no excuses to pick it up.

Plus, I love the quote at the top:
"The Avatar of Video Games - Except It's Better Written" - Time
:rofl:

i rented this game and beaten it within a week and got all the cheesemints. can some one tell me what is cerberus? does it give you dlc free if you have the cerberus code or is cerberus like an app store for dlc? might pick it up at kmart

From Press Release

By purchasing a new retail copy of Mass Effect 2, players will also receive the full benefits of BioWare's Cerberus Network, an in-game portal that has kept fans engaged with the Mass Effect universe through downloadable content and news. Activated exclusively by original purchasers of Mass Effect 2 through a single-use unlock code that is included in retail and digital versions of the game worldwide, the network has provided over a million Cerberus Network members with new content at no extra charge, including:

• Zaeed Massani, a new member for Commander Shepard's crew who has his own mission and can be used in the entire game
  • The Hammerhead, a heavy assault vehicle that was introduced through with five new vehicle-based missions
  • New Weapons - The Arc Projector and the M-22 Eviscerater Shotgun
  • New Armor - Cerberus Assault Gear

[quote name='reddjoey']From Press Release

By purchasing a new retail copy of Mass Effect 2, players will also receive the full benefits of BioWare's Cerberus Network, an in-game portal that has kept fans engaged with the Mass Effect universe through downloadable content and news. Activated exclusively by original purchasers of Mass Effect 2 through a single-use unlock code that is included in retail and digital versions of the game worldwide, the network has provided over a million Cerberus Network members with new content at no extra charge, including:

• Zaeed Massani, a new member for Commander Shepard's crew who has his own mission and can be used in the entire game
  • The Hammerhead, a heavy assault vehicle that was introduced through with five new vehicle-based missions
  • New Weapons - The Arc Projector and the M-22 Eviscerater Shotgun
  • New Armor - Cerberus Assault Gear
[/QUOTE]
so it only comes with one mission, and not the rest. when i saw the new content for no extra charge i thought it was going to be all future dlc

Comes with one character and his loyalty mission
A vehicle and 5 missions based around that
2 new weapons
1 new armor
and IIRC the crash site mission

All the other DLC is likely to be put into a GOTY edition, however they haven't said all the free DLC is over

[quote name='reddjoey']The theme is up and 240ms points, I'll edit in the link from the marketplace thread

Mass Effect 2 Omega Premium Theme - 240 Microsoft Points[/QUOTE]
Anyone have this yet? I'm wondering how it looks.

Also, interesting tidbit from Joystiq:

We'll have an interview with Mass Effect chief Casey Hudson for you soon, but we wanted to give you this interesting little tidbit from the interview. Hudson says, "We're pulling in probably over a thousand variables from Mass Effect 2 into Mass Effect 3 if you're importing your save game."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/mass-effect-3-pulls-in-over-1-000-variables-from-mass-effect-2/

Looking forward to that interview.

[quote name='yester']You meant this week by any chance?
I checked the website and its a deathlink. :(
This will be my next game on the list. $20 is so a good price :)[/QUOTE]

The price is good from 6/13-6/19 so it was next week when I posted that comment on 6/11. There is a Kmartgamer.com thread in the deals forum or just look at the post on kmartgamer.com.

[quote name='reddjoey']Comes with one character and his loyalty mission
A vehicle and 5 missions based around that
2 new weapons
1 new armor
and IIRC the crash site mission

All the other DLC is likely to be put into a GOTY edition, however they haven't said all the free DLC is over[/QUOTE]

There were 5 missions in the Hammerhead pack so I'm 99% sure all the free DLC is done with. Anything from here on out is going to be pay.

Also no ME 3/ME 2 super-sized expansion or Dragon Age 2 news leaves me dissatisfied with EA's presser today, but nowhere near the trainwreck that was Ubisoft (again) and the snoozefest that was Microsoft.

[quote name='shrike4242']Overlord is up, BTW. Weighs in at 839MB.[/QUOTE]
Sure is.

Just a warning to those making the purchase today: be prepared for some loud-ass, godawful noises in the early parts of the DLC. Don't have your speakers/surround sound up high like I did :lol:

EDIT: Holy shit this open environment looks fantastic. Much more scenic than ME1's open areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
839MB? Damn, well at least I can hope it's content rich then and more worth the points. But damn, DLC is starting to take up a chunk of my HDD.

New achievements:

Data Hound - 10G
Collect 6 Cerberus data packets scattered across Aite.

Digital Exorcist - 15G
Successfully shut down the Rogue VI in Project Overlord.

Seems crazy that a game with this much DLC is still only worth 1055 points. What are they saving up for?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']New achievements:

Data Hound - 10G
Collect 6 Cerberus data packets scattered across Aite.

Digital Exorcist - 15G
Successfully shut down the Rogue VI in Project Overlord.

Seems crazy that a game with this much DLC is still only worth 1055 points. What are they saving up for?[/QUOTE]

Wow that is a bit shocking.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
Seems crazy that a game with this much DLC is still only worth 1055 points. What are they saving up for?[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that they are saving up for the rumored Liara/Shadow Broker expansion but since nothing was announced at E3 it doesn't seem that likely.

I think that 250 gamerscore is the most they can put up at one time. Even with a full 250 G expansion and a bunch of other random 25 G DLC achievements, Dragon Age hasn't maxed out its 1750 and may never get there.

Either Bioware is planning some major stuff in the future that they need to leave room for, like multiple 250 G expansions... or they just like being stingy with the points.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']From what I've played of the DLC (a small amount so far), it really makes me feel like I've gone back to ME1 - except better.[/QUOTE]How so does it feel like ME1, but better?

I started DLing it this morning and I'll give it a look when I get home from work.

Played the first bit of Overlord this morning. Very entertaining so far, and I loved the creepy, "unknown" atmosphere when first entering the facility.
Seeing the VI watch you from displays and hearing it go nuts at certain points is a great touch.

Also, Joystiq posted another good interview with Casey Hudson.

Some good stuff in there, although the first line says Overlord is "the final piece of Mass Effect 2 DLC," which contradicts the "bridging the gap" DLC mentioned a few weeks ago. :whistle2:k

Well, that's mildly annoying if Overlord is the last bit of ME2 DLC we'll get before ME3.

I can't imagine we wouldn't be seeing ME3 until at least 4Q 2011, so that would be a long gap without DLC from now until then.

I know they mentioned the "bridging the gap" DLC from before, though there's plenty of time to whip that up in advance of ME3, be it disc-based like DA:O A, or large DLC.

That had to be just a mistake on the part of the Joystiq writer. No one from Bioware has said that Overlord will be the last piece of DLC for ME2. In fact they've implied that it won't, many times.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The price is good from 6/13-6/19 so it was next week when I posted that comment on 6/11. There is a Kmartgamer.com thread in the deals forum or just look at the post on kmartgamer.com.[/QUOTE]

Way to go.
I will check that out. Since K-Mart is so rare, i have to drive a little while to get there.
Great deal :)

Just finished Overlord.

I loved the overall atmosphere of the mission, especially during the beginning and in Prometheus Station. Felt really eerie, especially with the VI watching your every step. The cameras panning towards you was a nice touch.

It was nice to be able to explore a planet in the Hammerhead. The thing is tons better than the Mako. My only knock against it is that it feels like it's made out of paper, especially on insanity. Those turrets scattered throughout the land rip right through it. The best way to fight in it is to just hang back and hold down the right trigger. Combat can get pretty tedious in it. Still though, I much prefer it over the Mako.

It's disappointing that there wasn't any new squad dialog, but I didn't get my hopes up for any. A mission like this just begs for some comments from Tali and Legion, though.

There is plenty of on-foot combat, mostly fighting geth. The last part of the DLC is great, and the final "boss fight" can get pretty hectic.

Overall, I loved it. The atmosphere is great, the story is good, there is plenty of combat, and there is finally some planet exploration that should satisfy those that missed it. Well worth the purchase.

I'm liking Overlord so far; I agree that it feels like a plot planet from ME1 transplanted into ME2's gameplay. Very satisfying.

I just finished the data collection and I'm partway into the first station, going to save the rest for tomorrow.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think that 250 gamerscore is the most they can put up at one time. Even with a full 250 G expansion and a bunch of other random 25 G DLC achievements, Dragon Age hasn't maxed out its 1750 and may never get there.

Either Bioware is planning some major stuff in the future that they need to leave room for, like multiple 250 G expansions... or they just like being stingy with the points.[/QUOTE]

Where are you getting the 1750 limit from? Dawn of War 2 has 2000.

Downloaded and played this last night. I think I squeaked over two hours from it. I thought it was a decent length, but I was sick of the Hammerhead by the end of it. It was mentioned previously, but the armor on that thing is weak sauce. I took it out for a casual play on Veteran and the one time I accidentally stumbled into a turret's nest I was cut apart in seconds.

The on foot portions were nice, good creepy atmosphere at the end but nothing unique. Brawl with some geth, move on, brawl more. The story was pretty good, and I too hoped there would be squad-mate comments, but I suppose getting the voice actors in probably was more money and trouble than it was worth. There was one small thing with squadmates...
if you bring Legion, Archer makes a comment asking if he will be trouble

All in all not bad, but not impressive.

You know what was impressive though? I hadn't played since the last title update. So I decided to mine for some materials. We went from an old rock hammer....
09032009_ShawshankRedemption.jpg

to POWER SHOVEL NI NAROU!!!
19_new.jpg

I'm currently on my 3rd play through and finished the Katsumi. Saw overlord last night but I'm already heading into the Omega 4 relay. I loved Force unleashed and did get the jedi academy DLC, but never bought any others. This game, I've bought everything as soon as I had the money. I skipped lunches at work so I could save up the few bucks. I never am dissapointed and can't wait until ME3.

So... Since they didn't appear in Microsoft's keynote, when do we find out what Bioware is showing/announcing at E3? Do they have their own presentation scheduled?

bread's done
Back