Mass Effect 2 PS3 $19.99 @ Best Buy & Amazon

[quote name='Zarathos']Ok... I haven't played either ME1 or ME2... Which is the better platform to play them on... PC or PS3? I've been thinking about picking them up, and this price is pulling at me, but I want to be sure I don't regret my platform decision later... heh... opinions?[/QUOTE]

At risk of being called a fanboy, the best version graphically will be PC and the best console version is on the Xbox 360. In both instances, you can get access to the first Mass Effect game and import your character into the second one. For ME3, on Xbox 360 it will include Kinect support with voice control for your squad!

You would be missing a lot if you didn't play the first game. The story really builds up and the "introductory comic" that recaps the events and let's you choose a few actions doesn't do the story justice unless you consider a comic a good representation of a book.

So unless a PS3 is all you have for this particular game, it would be the last platform I would choose it for. There is no real upgrades to benefit from on this version except the free DLC. I picked up the DLC on Xbox 360 on sale and seen it a few times....

I'm going to pick this up for my collection as a ME nut, but whatever version you pick you will not be disappointed. ME is just such a fantastic game!

I'm don't mind loosing the RPG elements, but wish they didn't tone down the story as well.

[quote name='JP73']Couple quick questions. Is this a first person or third person game? Also, if you've never played the first one, will you still be good?[/QUOTE]

Beyond the story, this game doesn't expect you to have played the first ME as evident, it doesn't exist on the PS3. Also, it's a third person game.

I wouldn't worry about the first game too much, unless you care about getting the full storyline/experience. Heck, many complained about the bad shooting mechanic in the first game!

[quote name='JP73']Couple quick questions. Is this a first person or third person game? Also, if you've never played the first one, will you still be good?[/QUOTE]
Third-person. As for jumping in without playing the first, I would say go for it. The gameplay is pretty different between the two games anyway, and in terms of story you will understand what is going on-- it is a direct sequel but the beginning of ME2 kind of shakes up the status quo and goes off in a different direction. You will miss a lot of fun callbacks, and the general sense of continuity of your Shepard's choices, which is one of the coolest aspects of the series.

[quote name='Derrick1979']The controls in this game are so refined if you play this first like I did the original gameplay mechanics just seem broken..[/QUOTE]
I agree with this... ME2 is far more polished and refined in almost every aspect of the gameplay. Playing ME2 first might spoil you. :)

[quote name='JP73']I wouldn't worry too much about the game selling out or hoarders. I'm am pretty sure this is a permanent price drop. Target is also doing this at 19.99. Just look at the best Buy listing. It doesn't even say "On Sale" or anything. So yeah, this looks like a permanent price drop. I'll wait for a BOGO 50% off sale and get this and another 20 buck game for 15 each. But thanks for the post OP, good to know

Couple quick questions. Is this a first person or third person game? Also, if you've never played the first one, will you still be good?[/QUOTE]
Doesn't seem like Amazon has matched it though. It's a third person RPG, and no, you don't really need the first game - there's a summary of sorts in the PS3 version, but the story can pretty much stand on its own.

Ahh thanks to some RZ certs.. $5.27 and the item is ready for pick-up..
Finally will get to play through this awesome game again as well as the DLC seeing I cheaped out and didnt buy any of the DLC for 360..

Thanks OP :lol:

shelf sticker still shows $39.99, wonder if its on line only and will have to be PM'd in store. should have taken the game to be scanned, but then I would have bought it and I really need to save money! plus waiting for a 'goty' version for the 360 so I can retire my CE set.

[quote name='midnightexpress']Doesn't seem like Amazon has matched it though. It's a third person RPG, and no, you don't really need the first game - there's a summary of sorts in the PS3 version, but the story can pretty much stand on its own.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes amazon is a little slow with these. Socom 4 and MLb the Show are still listed at 59.99 MSRP on Amazon and The Show 11 is still that price directly from Amazon. Both those games are supposed to be 39.99

And thanks everyone for the answers

[quote name='gamingdroid']At risk of being called a fanboy, the best version graphically will be PC and the best console version is on the Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

I actually read that the PS3 version of ME2 was developed using the already completed ME3 game engine. I've only played it on the 360 so I can't say if it looks or plays any better.

i have me 1-2 on my xbox360 hard drive saved up but i would like to replay it on ps3 so maybe this price is good maybe it will even go down even more to under 15

[quote name='Odinsfury']I actually read that the PS3 version of ME2 was developed using the already completed ME3 game engine. I've only played it on the 360 so I can't say if it looks or plays any better.[/QUOTE]
According to reviews, they changed around some of the light sources but the graphics themselves aren't any better or worse.

[quote name='Odinsfury']I actually read that the PS3 version of ME2 was developed using the already completed ME3 game engine. I've only played it on the 360 so I can't say if it looks or plays any better.[/QUOTE]

If you care about that sort of thing, a full analysis here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-face-off

The bottom line difference:

"The implementation of the new tech means that there are performance advantages in places, but gameplay seems to be a touch jerkier overall. Graphically, there is evidence that the PS3 version of the game has been pared back a miniscule amount, but the quality of the revisions is mostly first class and the effect on the final game is essentially unnoticeable.

The tweaked lighting is the biggest differentiating factor and in our opinion it is rather hit and miss: BioWare talks about revising it to make the game brighter, but while some scenes undoubtedly benefit from the revised light positions, in many other cases some of the wonderful, nuanced texture work on the original game seems quite flat in comparison. The sense we had from the demo that the lighting is sometimes inconsistent carries across into the full game too, where it sometimes seems as if the positioning of the light sources even seems to change mid-scene.

Technically there is not much of a case for any claims of being "definitive", but perhaps the statement should be judged in terms of content, in the way that a Game of the Year edition of a game might be considered definitive. Having all of the DLC packs available right from the off is certainly a great move, because Mass Effect 2 is a game rich in potential and opportunity with a huge amount of freedom, so more options, more missions and more equipment right from the beginning can only be a good thing. In addition to this, while it's not really a big deal, the ability to play the game on PS3 without having to swap discs is an obvious boon."

Conclusion:

"A year on from its release on PC and Xbox 360, the brilliance of Mass Effect 2 remains undiminished. Given a straight choice across all formats, the PC game's ability to power past the technological shortcomings of the 360 and PS3 with higher resolutions and frame-rates makes it feel like the best technical experience, as we discussed in our Mass Effect 2 Tech Analysis last year.

Between the consoles, the gap narrows. Technologically it still feels like the Xbox 360 version has the edge, but occasionally lower frame-rates and mostly unnoticeable graphical compromises on PS3 are not going to have much impact on the fun you have playing this game. Scored today, this would still be a 10/10 game on both platforms."

I wanted to wait until $20 because I already had it on steam to get ready for ME3. Picked up on the way home. Thanks.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Is it better to just go and pick it up in store or should I order online with pick up in store option?![/QUOTE]

I prefer to order it online using ShopDiscover since I get 5% cashback that way and my reward zone info is always stored on my online account.

Yeah, I went ahead and just got it online then went and picked up at the store. Didn't even take them 5 minutes to pull. Was there and back within 20 minutes.

Installing it as we speak.

[quote name='token2k6']shelf sticker still shows $39.99, wonder if its on line only and will have to be PM'd in store. should have taken the game to be scanned, but then I would have bought it and I really need to save money! plus waiting for a 'goty' version for the 360 so I can retire my CE set.[/QUOTE]

Just got back from my BB store and the shelf price was $19.99. No sale sticker or anything. So its safe to says its a new MSRP, well with BB at least.

[quote name='jling84']Yup mine was marked $19.99 as well. Got it for $15 with my RZ cert.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Got it for store pickup. Getting it tomorrow!

[quote name='KidSqueek']Just got back from my BB store and the shelf price was $19.99. No sale sticker or anything. So its safe to says its a new MSRP, well with BB at least.[/QUOTE]

I stopped by my BB tonight and grabbed the last copy I saw. It was still marked as $39.99 so perhaps they didn't update the price yet on the shelf, but it still rang up as $19.99. Pretty pumped about finally getting this game for a good price. Thanks OP.

i can confirm this price at Target. got it there earlier this evening. also GTA: complete was 19.99 (with a tag that said Temporary price cut-$29.99,on top of a regular shelf label that said $19.99)

Still on the fence about this. I've got Mass Effect on the Xbox 360 in my backlog. I'm waiting for an Xbox 360 game of the year version of Mass Effect 2 just so I can transfer my character from the first game to the second game. Hoping all the PS3 extras go on this Game of the Year edition of Mass Effect 2.

This is a good price for this game and would pick it up if there was going to be Mass Effect 1 released, even as a digital download on PSN.

Yeah, it has been awhile. Figured a Game of the Year like version would be released just to cash in right before Mass Effect 3 comes out, so I can wait as I play the first game.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Yeah, it has been awhile. Figured a Game of the Year like version would be released just to cash in right before Mass Effect 3 comes out, so I can wait as I play the first game.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 version already comes with every DLC except for Arrival, so a game of the year edition would be kind of pointless.

[quote name='FuriousBobby 2.0']i can confirm this price at Target. got it there earlier this evening. also GTA: complete was 19.99 (with a tag that said Temporary price cut-$29.99,on top of a regular shelf label that said $19.99)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, just picked it up at Target for $19.99. Marked as the normal price.

Just traded in my copy on Amazon for $30 in addition to the $5 bonus trade in for Dark Souls. Looks like I'm going to pick it up again at BB using my $10RZ cert :bouncy:Winning lol

Yessssss, I've had to wait all of this time, but my patience finally pays off! Thanks OP. Glad to see this is finally $19.99 MSRP. After seeing the 360 edition for $10 last Black Friday, I couldn't bring myself coughing up $59.99 when this was released for the PS3 back in January. (Even with lots of DLC included...)

[quote name='brentaw']The PS3 version already comes with every DLC except for Arrival, so a game of the year edition would be kind of pointless.[/QUOTE]

I meant for the Xbox 360, sorry if I wasn't clear on that in my previous posts.

Anyway, seems like a universal drop on this. I'll hold out longer for a deal like buy 2 $19.9X games get 1 $19.9X game free or something similar.

I got it day 1 for $12 through a gameshare, but that takes up like 12gigs. I may just buy a physical copy now since it's so cheap

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I meant for the Xbox 360, sorry if I wasn't clear on that in my previous posts.

Anyway, seems like a universal drop on this. I'll hold out longer for a deal like buy 2 $19.9X games get 1 $19.9X game free or something similar.[/QUOTE]
If it hasn't gotten a GOTY by now it most likely won't, its going on 2 years since the release in what? 3 months? no word of one?

wouldn't hold my breath.

You would think they would have made one too with ME3 on the horizon. It's unlike EA to not take advantage of easy money like that. It's possible that a few months before the release of ME3 (say January) they could release an "Ultimate edition" with every DLC included (including Arrival)

I would surprise if they made one for the PS3. It technically has almost all, but one of the DLCs.

The Xbox 360 one is long overdue... maybe they will release one closer to ME3 release date? ... or maybe EA are just making more money selling it as a DLC.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Don't think it's an MSRP drop, EA's online store still has it listed @ $60. Maybe it hasn't updated yet, IDK. This still trades in for $17 @ BB ($25.50 with the pre-order bonus trade in)....and I already saw this on Slickdeals. Hopefully folks that actually want a copy to PLAY will get it, as I see this being OOS by come morning.[/QUOTE]

Walmart has had it for $40 for a few months now.

I've never played ME but it looks really fun, so I might have to grab this using one of my $5 off BB certificates.

Will this be a permanent price drop?

bread's done
Back