Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Spybreak8']Damn it man I need more free time to play this game. Bed then work tomorrow repeat. I was happily enjoying myself in the awesome campaign when I get an invite from ninja to play some multiplayer. I wanted to stay away from it as long as I could to avoid spoiler creatures but oh my god was that awesome. Got a Drell with my starter kit too, badass. Lol, how am I going to go to sleep now!

Downloading the soundtrack atm. I like the Ama-lur armor but they did it again the helmet was locked on the on position. Oddly enough though in one conversation I didn't have the helmet and I could see my character's face.[/QUOTE]

There is a toggle in the options for the helmet to be off in most conversations (only ones it's on for are the ones where there's not enough oxygen not to have a helmet.)

Side quests dealing with recurring ME 2 characters early on in act 1:

It was good to see Kelly Chambers, the Cerberus engineering couple, Kasumi, and Thane again. It's nice Kasumi has a bigger role than I thought she'd get in this game and becomes a War Asset after you complete the side mission to apprehend the Hanar Reaper sleeper agent.

Kelly is in the refugee area for only 1 conversation then disappears. You get a Paragon interrupt to hug her if you went that far in ME 2 and she said she'd transfer all your fish to the Normandy, so now I gotta remember to feed them until I get the auto feeder for 25k. Sad that she's too traumatized to return. Hope I did the right thing with presented a choice of encouraging her work with the refugees (which I chose as it was paragon) or getting a new identity to avoid Cerberus. If Kai Ling kills her ...

The Cerberus engineers can be put back on the ship, just read the email in the Spectre area and hit X to reinstate them. Sad that Thane's role, unless it increases later on, is so limited in this game. Glad to know he's got Ashley's back.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Damn it man I need more free time to play this game. Bed then work tomorrow repeat. I was happily enjoying myself in the awesome campaign when I get an invite from ninja to play some multiplayer. I wanted to stay away from it as long as I could to avoid spoiler creatures but oh my god was that awesome. Got a Drell with my starter kit too, badass. Lol, how am I going to go to sleep now!

Downloading the soundtrack atm. I like the Ama-lur armor but they did it again the helmet was locked on the on position. Oddly enough though in one conversation I didn't have the helmet and I could see my character's face.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you. My copy came Tuesday and I was only able to play 20 minutes of multiplayer today. I then had to rush to make my lunch for work and my breakfast. I will have maybe an hour after work then I have to get ready to meet some friends before the Blues game tonight. After that it is all ME3 for me. I wonder if I can beat the game once in one day because after Friday I have to be back at work for the next 3 or 4 days.

It also looks like I will end up having to buy new cases or one 2 disc case for the game. The CE case is to much of a pain to get the discs out and I don't want to crack them. Any ideas other than eBay or a 2 disc 360 case or even where I can get just 2 single disc cases and then some box art?

[quote name='Spybreak8']Damn it man I need more free time to play this game. [/QUOTE]

This whole "having to sleep to function" thing is getting to be a drag. I find myself very torn between attacking the SP campaign and MP. I fire it up with the intention of getting into the main story but as soon as I get an invite to MP I get distracted and go with that.

TO ANYONE PLAYING MULTIPLAYER, BEWARE:
There seems to be a bug wiping everything you've bought from the multiplayer store (characters, weapons, etc.) resulting from "readying" yourself for a multiplayer match and then entering and remaining in the store when the game begins. So avoid doing this. Link
Credit to Kenaras on NeoGAF

Thanks for jumping in with Simosaurus and I for some MP! Great fun and we kicked some serious butt. I don't think MP spoils too much, if anything, on the campaign side.

I played ME2 all the way thru. I thought your weapons and gear carried over? I am pretty early in the game, I landed on a planet to save a Turian. However I do not see my weapons and armor from ME2. Was I wrong in this assumption? I played a soldier, completed all of the DLC as well from ME2. Thanks

Hahah, I always do this with these really big games (Skyrim, ME2, etc). I'll play like 10-15 hours across two days nonstop and become frustrated. It's like I'm trying to get to the end of the movie that is just too long. So I'll eventually back off, create a new character, and then take my time with the game.

Actually popped ME1 in to cool off and goofed around trying to get last two squad achievements. Hmm, I might actually do another run of ME2 before finishing the trilogy.

What classes are you guys playing in SP? I had an infiltrator from #2. It's pretty fun but I find that I don't even use the cloak much. After Crysis 2, cloaking has a lot to live up to.

[quote name='pete5883']TO ANYONE PLAYING MULTIPLAYER, BEWARE:
There seems to be a bug wiping everything you've bought from the multiplayer store (characters, weapons, etc.) resulting from "readying" yourself for a multiplayer match and then entering and remaining in the store when the game begins. So avoid doing this. Link
Credit to Kenaras on NeoGAF[/QUOTE]

oi.

maybe it's time to go back to single campaign for a while, thanks for the heads up.

...actually, who goes shopping when they're ready to deploy? (oh, those ppl) thanks for the tip though...I'll make sure I never have the urge to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tukai']I played ME2 all the way thru. I thought your weapons and gear carried over? I am pretty early in the game, I landed on a planet to save a Turian. However I do not see my weapons and armor from ME2. Was I wrong in this assumption? I played a soldier, completed all of the DLC as well from ME2. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Your level and skill points carry over from ME2, but that's it. All of the weapons and armor sets from ME2 are present, and you can find or buy them at various times, but you don't start out equipped with them.

Does anyone know what the New Game + bonuses are for ME3? Like how in ME2, after beating the game once your characters all got +25% EXP gain.

Yeah, sorry i didn't get to hop into MP with you guys last night, kids were being NUUUUUTS last night. But i got a good solid 8 hours in on and off on SP trying to work through everything. After my initial almost "cold" feeling when i took over the Normandy again, I am REALLY geting into this one far more than even ME2 did.

I was concerned about the lack of party members from ME2 but so far the way the have incorporated them into the story is brilliant. Everyone gets a taste, you get followup on their stories, and they are a big enough to make an impact, and found so far, that they are all emotional, joyful, and even lamenting.

I was thrilled to see
Thane punching and keeping in shape, then after talking to him about his Keprals and how he has lived the expected doctors prognosis and is basically on borrowed time and loving it. This had a huge impat for me as my Father in Law is currently battling Terminal Stage 4 cancer and was given 2 - 6 weeks, so it has really hit home. I got to hear from Miranda and that through all of this she is simply wanting to find her sister (and Dat Ass!!)

You get to see the true connection between some of the 3rd tier side conversation characterswhich makes me glad I took the time to appreciate all the small corners and people in the universe as some of the most unlikely ones show up and offer revelations so big yet non impactful to the story, they are still pieces of lore i would really have hated to miss.
(Finding out the rough and tumble Matriarch bartender is really Liaras father)
For those with any doubt about the direction and method Bioware took in this path of the franchise, I implore you to look past the negative internet hype, take your time and look and the BRILLIANT set pieces and backgrounds, talk to the characters, new and old, and you will find this to be a crowning jewel in the franchises crown.

All of this, and I know I am not even half way in. I already have so many discussion pieces and moments to talk about, yet sooo many more questions that need answers.... SO I'm going to go play a round of MP (gotta keep that score up) then head back into it.

PS Jack is fucking awesome.

After about 7 hours in I decided to start over. I picked Vanguard and it just wasn't my style, so I switched back to Engineer.

Started this up last night as I had a solid chunk of time after having to reschedule some plans. Played about 4.5 hours, really loving the game so far. Looks great (playing PS3 version), I love the tweaks with having the weapon upgrades and customization etc. The difficulty isn't as bad as in the demo--probably because character starts at level 30 with my import, and having upgraded some guns etc. Stuck with Solider, default male Shepherd (and focusing on Paragon) as that was how I played through the first two games with this character.

Only gripe is some sidequests pop up in the Journal before they can actually be completed--i.e. star system not on the map yet, can't get to the needed area of the Citadel etc.

But that's a minor nitpick. Only bug mentioned that I've came across is Shepherd's head being stuck sideways in some conversations.

Thane
:(

In regards to MP, I'm not sure if this was intended but be warned that after hitting enemies three times with certain disables (i.e. stasis, sabotage) they become immune. During the demo we thought that phantoms gaining immunity to stasis bubbles was a glitch of sorts but after various geth gaining the same immunity to our takeovers, we realized that this is probably an intentional mechanic.

That being said, the best way to farm credits is on gold, against the Geth with a team of Quarians (cheapness of sabotage basically reduces it to silver difficulty). The waves ran us on average 35-40 minutes per run yielding 250-300k exp and 75-80k credits (wave 10 gives you ~45k alone). You don't even need to be maxed out, we started at around level 12-14, just high enough to have sabotage maxed and some sort of durability/escape.

Still need to find an approach to the reapers..getting swarmed by brutes and banshees ugh

not a fan of geth farming outside of unlocking any achievements if there's one for completing gold difficulty. i'd prefer not to see every other player armed with all the rare guns and modifications w/an N7 100+ rating by the weekend.

I haven't tried reaper on gold yet but on silver, having other ppl on your team use special ammo helps a lot. Dealing w/banshee's i've seen an adept and a vanguard knock her around like a pinball between biotics. it took a while but no one died.

[quote name='100xp']not a fan of geth farming outside of unlocking any achievements if there's one for completing gold difficulty. i'd prefer not to see every other player armed with all the rare guns and modifications w/an N7 100+ rating by the weekend.

I haven't tried reaper on gold yet but on silver, having other ppl on your team use special ammo helps a lot. Dealing w/banshee's i've seen an adept and a vanguard knock her around like a pinball between biotics. it took a while but no one died.[/QUOTE]

the "unwavering" achievement (i think thats what its called) is beating all the levels on gold or doing every sp mission on insanity. and i wouldn't worry about seeing everyone running around with rares for a while since there is so much luck that goes into the packs. i went through literally 15 spectre packs last night and didn't really get anything worthwhile. my buddy, however, got the javelin and geth shotgun practically back to back. we've been able to beat cerberus and geth fairly easily but i really think we are going to need to farm up for reaper waves. one banshee is easy enough, but 5, 10, 15 in the same wave with brutes running around is going to be hell.

i got the geth pulse rifle last night, wasn't able to equip it but I noticed the RoF was a bit insane on the stat sheet...I'm going to wager a guess my turian soldier w/marksmanship will empty clips like chow yun fat.

send me a PM if you want to hit up some MP, i'd like to play something other than bronze for a change without try hards.

I couldn't take the nagging feeling so I went back and re-did
the prothean mission
. Only lost about an hour and a half and had good fun repeating those missions. I missed the intel in that long hallway with the continuous computer bank the first time. I guess I'm about 8 or 9 hours in now. Will get to drop some major time in this weekend.

So close to 20 on my Turian Sentinel @ 95% Galactic Readiness, will have to knock that out today. I like the Geth Rifle with Armor Piercing and special ammo. I can see Reapers needing either massive biotics or tons of armor piercing.

[quote name='Freemason']So close to 20 on my Turian Sentinel @ 95% Galactic Readiness, will have to knock that out today. I like the Geth Rifle with Armor Piercing and special ammo. I can see Reapers needing either massive biotics or tons of armor piercing.[/QUOTE]

nice. i've been 100% for a couple days hee hee. i've been mixing up the classes so no lvl 20 yet, 15 i think is the highest the rest are double digits as well save the adept and engineer.

looking fwd to the geth pulse rifle, though I have been getting incredible result with the collector rifle along with attention. While I haven't tried it yet, wouldnt incinerate and cyro pwn reapers for the most part? they seem to the be opposite of the geth being virutally all organic.

Anyone else find it funny that
You can enter Grissom academy with a member of a race thought to be 50,000 years extinct and a synthetic instance of a remote AI and people are all like "LOL what's shepard doing here?"

[quote name='Anexanhume']Anyone else find it funny that
You can enter Grissom academy with a member of a race thought to be 50,000 years extinct and a synthetic instance of a remote AI and people are all like "LOL what's shepard doing here?"
[/QUOTE]
Javik should have a cover story. Like, they come into a room, everybody starts staring at Javik and Shepard's like, "Quarians-- who knew?"

[quote name='GUNNM']majority of your answers should be at the bottom for renegade I've noticed[/QUOTE]

yeah that's the weird thing. Renegade choices have always been on the bottom in ME1 and ME2 but I've chosen a bunch of bottom and seemingly renegade choices, then after the convo is done it gives me + reputation. Did they replace paragon with reputation? Or is Reputation a different aspect now? Ugh. I should read the "manual." I absolutely loathe that it's not physical and it's on the disc :/

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
Javik should have a cover story. Like, they come into a room, everybody starts staring at Javik and Shepard's like, "Quarians-- who knew?"
[/QUOTE]

Haha
I imagine someone going up to him in a Chris Tucker voice "What da fuck is wid u eyez muthafucka?"

[quote name='AshesofWake']yeah that's the weird thing. Renegade choices have always been on the bottom in ME1 and ME2 but I've chosen a bunch of bottom and seemingly renegade choices, then after the convo is done it gives me + reputation. Did they replace paragon with reputation? Or is Reputation a different aspect now? Ugh. I should read the "manual." I absolutely loathe that it's not physical and it's on the disc :/[/QUOTE]
Reputation is a new thing, it's like a neutral value so they can give you fame points even if you haven't done something particularly Paragon or Renegade. Your total fame score is the sum of Paragon, Renegade, and Reputation.

Random question.

Do player actuated squadmate powers count towards achievements like in ME2? For instance, if I get Garrus to do overload 100 times, do I get the overload achievement?

[quote name='Anexanhume']Do player actuated squadmate powers count towards achievements like in ME2? For instance, if I get Garrus to do overload 100 times, do I get the overload achievement?[/QUOTE]
I believe it's back to the ME1 system where it has to be Shepard using the power. At least, I've had Garrus and
EDI
use Overload a number of times and I haven't seen any movement on the counter.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Random question.

Do player actuated squadmate powers count towards achievements like in ME2? For instance, if I get Garrus to do overload 100 times, do I get the overload achievement?[/QUOTE]

you should be able to get these easily and quickly in the MP.

I also noticed that your galactic readiness decays over time. It was 100% last night, I checked during lunch and it's down to 98%. That's kinda cool in the sense, you just don't play a few days of MP then forget about it.

Question for anyone who has Ashley alive in their ME3 playthrough:

I never bought the Tennyson poetry book for her in the hospital (thought it would be there for a long time and didn't expect it to disappear), does this mean I can't get her as an LI at all? I romanced Liara in ME1 and Miranda in ME2 but I wouldnt mind making Ashley an LI in this one if possible. I dont have any earlier saves so how screwed am I?

Unlrelated love intersest tid bit, looks like my Shepherd's male whoring in ME2 won't affect anything, as on the import screen where it listed your decisions it just said "romanced no one in ME2"--even though I'd romanced Miranada, then ditched her to romance Tali. And also had the casual sex scene with Jack and the dance scene with Kelly.

Guess since I broke it off with Tali to pick Liara again in the DLC, it just registers as no romance in ME2 rather than trying to track all the ended relationships.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Unlrelated love intersest tid bit, looks like my Shepherd's male whoring in ME2 won't affect anything, as on the import screen where it listed your decisions it just said "romanced no one in ME2"--even though I'd romanced Miranada, then ditched her to romance Tali. And also had the casual sex scene with Jack and the dance scene with Kelly.

Guess since I broke it off with Tali to pick Liara again in the DLC, it just registers as no romance in ME2 rather than trying to track all the ended relationships.[/QUOTE]Wow, you are quite the ME2 whore. :lol:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Unlrelated love intersest tid bit, looks like my Shepherd's male whoring in ME2 won't affect anything, as on the import screen where it listed your decisions it just said "romanced no one in ME2"--even though I'd romanced Miranada, then ditched her to romance Tali. And also had the casual sex scene with Jack and the dance scene with Kelly.

Guess since I broke it off with Tali to pick Liara again in the DLC, it just registers as no romance in ME2 rather than trying to track all the ended relationships.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it just registers your end romance in ME2. I romanced Liara in ME1 and Miranda in ME2 but re-romanced Liara in LOTSB and the game doesnt appear to take that into account, so it seems like it only registers what you "ending" romance status in ME2 without any DLC featured.

EDIT: On a totally unrelated note, just remembered I have over 7,000 Powerup points in my account (would have been nice a few days ago to use a $5 coupon off my CE but alas), thinking about picking up either the GI poster or N7 dog tags just for kicks. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='100xp']you should be able to get these easily and quickly in the MP.

I also noticed that your galactic readiness decays over time. It was 100% last night, I checked during lunch and it's down to 98%. That's kinda cool in the sense, you just don't play a few days of MP then forget about it.[/QUOTE]

He was asking about me2

[quote name='dmaul1114']No, he was asking if ME3 worked like ME2 where they did count.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes read again I see, yeah those come easy in mp

Still in my bunker, with I'm guessing half the game yet to go....? No idea, I've done a lot of wandering around trying to find every little item and talk to people. I'm going to spoiler a semi-spoiler about advancing the game. If you care about side-quests, check it.

Finish all of your early side-quests before going on "Priority: Tuchanka" mission. Immediately after it ends, you receive a message to return to the Citadel. This insta-starts another mission and when you return to the Citadel, some people who gave you side-quests are gone.

Hope that helped! I missed out on some stuff because I didn't know.

So I got the guide and immediately thumbed to the squad section just to see who will be returning as squad mates and was thoroughly disappointed to see that none of the ME2 original people made it as squadmates here in the 3rd game.

Can anyone that's made a lot of progress give me an idea of how much you see Miranda, Jack, Thane, Jacob, and the rest of the ME2 people without divulging story?

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']So I got the guide and immediately thumbed to the squad section just to see who will be returning as squad mates and was thoroughly disappointed to see that none of the ME2 original people made it as squadmates here in the 3rd game.

Can anyone that's made a lot of progress give me an idea of how much you see Miranda, Jack, Thane, Jacob, and the rest of the ME2 people without divulging story?[/QUOTE]
saw miranda once talking about finding her sister haven't seen her since and mordin joins you for a mission

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']So I got the guide and immediately thumbed to the squad section just to see who will be returning as squad mates and was thoroughly disappointed to see that none of the ME2 original people made it as squadmates here in the 3rd game.

Can anyone that's made a lot of progress give me an idea of how much you see Miranda, Jack, Thane, Jacob, and the rest of the ME2 people without divulging story?[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised they even went Garrus/Tali, since they could die in ME2. I figure they went with the core two there since it would be hard to program those other characters fully when they could be dead in 50% of games.

From what I've seen:
Grunt - small mission part
Mordin - big story part, see him across the span of a few missions early
Thane - big story impact, kinda limited
Miranda - only seen once so far
Kasumi - small mission part
Jack - small but cool mission part, saw her once after so far

It's more than a cameo walk-on TV role. You can have conversation wheels with most of them so far, get updates, and all that. I'm usually thrilled to see them.

Favorite line of the game so far:

"YOU BIG, STUPID, JELLYFISH"

also, for a nice line about....uh..."bot", without giving spoilers, take bot to the school rescue mission.

[quote name='6er']Favorite line of the game so far:

"YOU BIG, STUPID, JELLYFISH"

also, for a nice line about....uh..."bot", without giving spoilers, take bot to the school rescue mission.[/QUOTE]

"...They were grooming me for CAG..." by LT. Cortez on the bottom level of the Normandy.

[quote name='100xp']you should be able to get these easily and quickly in the MP.

I also noticed that your galactic readiness decays over time. It was 100% last night, I checked during lunch and it's down to 98%. That's kinda cool in the sense, you just don't play a few days of MP then forget about it.[/QUOTE]
Noticed this too. On Bioware social you can see xx.xx%, I noticed I went from 71.76% this morning to 71.11% this evening. So I lost .65% in about 10 hours?

Has anyone experienced any glitches? Mine was minor, but it took me out of the moment. I had one where my Shepard was constantly looking back and forth with crossed eyes while talking. lol

bread's done
Back