Megazell's Free And Legal PC Games List!

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']Wait whoa, Psi-Ops is free now? Awesome, never knew that.
Legend of Princess is pretty awesome. The soundtrack's superb.

I suggest going over the DigiPen games. Namely, Empyreal Nocturne, Synaesthete (AWESOME), Narbacular Drop (predecessor of Portal)[/QUOTE]

Yeah man - I have a few games from PS2 and Dreamcast that went freeware on the PC.

Cool. I played Narb before I know I have it on my database. I also made a mod for Quake 2 that used a lot of reflecting portals. I am going to reedit and get it to work with Darkplaces...will be my project for the next few months.

Thanks for the leads.

Megabot

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Theme: Science Fiction

Megabot is a side-scrolling action game that features game elements found in the Megaman games of old. Megaman 3, 4, and 5 were very big inspirations for me when I started making Megabot.

I remember playing those good 'ol NES games and thinking to myself, "I could probably make something like this one day". Well now that I have the skills and resources to do so, I am doing just that. I love Capcom. This game can be considered a tribute to Capcom and old-school gaming.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy playing the game as much as I enjoyed making it! Lots of surprises await! The game is a full length 100% complete FREEWARE game.

System Requirements

CPU: 400 Mhz
Video: 16 Mb
Memory: 64 Mb
Hard Drive: 21 Mb

Download it here - http://www.64digits.com/games/101/Megabot.zip

Screenshots

117qnsy.jpg

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Postal 2: Share The Pain

First Person Shooter
Single Player - No
Multiplayer - Yes

Theme: Humor

Postal 2: Share The Pain lets you spend a week living the life of Postal Dude -- a guy on the edge, who could snap at any moment. Will he become a pacifist or a bloodthirsty killer? It's totally up to you! It's over-the-top, violent and absurd humor for the gamer craving a new kind of shooter.

Features:
- Accomplish multiple missions during your five-day week, and decide where & when to snap
- Explore a massive game world freely -- multiple neighborhoods realistic & destructible environments to shoot up
- Over 100 characters you can interact with - some armed, some not. Experiment with the cops, protesters, Gary Coleman and more & see what happens
- Powerful AI and realistic graphics make the human & human/animal interactions more real and more exciting
- New mission-based multiplayer game puts you up against fellow mail carriers who've gone postal.

System Requirements

CPU: 733 Mhz
Memory: 128 Mb
Video: 32 Mb
Hard Drive: 384 Mb

Download it here - http://www.gamershell.com/download_26434.shtml

Screenshots

33e4fm0.jpg

5o5ena.jpg

67lgkx.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-UUD465oM

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Halo Zero

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Halo Zero is a free, fan-made 2D action game based on Bungie and Microsoft Game Studio's Halo franchise. Official Site - http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_Zero

Megazell's Comment - Update - Here is a link to a modding community with the games level editor and a few mods for you to download - http://hzmods.wordpress.com/. The original developer for this game has abandoned this project. There were some issues with the original file below and Windows Vista and higher OS - Here is a link to an updated version of the game for those using Vista and higher -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tdctjirwjwt/hzsetup.exe
or
http://dobermann47.free.fr/file/hzsetup.exe

System Requirements

CPU: 1 Ghz
Memory: 256 Mb
Hard Drive: 22 Mb

Download it here - http://download.cnet.com/Halo-Zero/3000-7433_4-10474711.html

Screenshots

219555u.jpg

2568rbs.jpg

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
PRISM: Guard Shield

First Person Shooter/MMO
Single Player - No
Multiplayer - Yes

Theme: Military

The Army National Guard and Rival Interactive are creating a first person 3D shooter called PRISM: Guard Shield that contains a unique blend of stealth operations and fast action game play. The game focuses on the unconventional application of new and emerging weapons and surveillance technologies in the war against terrorism. PRISM takes place in the near future with the player becoming the newest member of a highly secretive homeland defense unit known as PRISM. PRISM: Guard Shield focuses on familiar locations in the US such as Washington, D.C. and San Francisco, CA. When terrorist activities are suspected or potential targets are identified, players are called into action.

PRISM: Guard Shield is being developed simultaneously with a game for the commercial market called PRISM: Threat Level Red. Players will be immersed in a unique gaming experience that draws players into a world that blurs the lines between commercial entertainment and America’s secret struggle against terrorism using tomorrow’s technology and weapons.

Gameplay Features
. 3 environments
. 3 multiplayer game modes (Co-operative, Death Match, and Team Death Match)
. 8 near-future weapons
. 7 characters with 3 unique enemy types
. Up to 32 players online
. Recognizable landmarks
. Use stealth tactics to gain the advantage over the enemy
. Unique Hover Camera at the player's command
. 'Night Vision' capability to see in the dark and surprise the enemy
. Silenced weapons and Taser stun-gun allow the player to take on the enemy silently
. Highly configurable Co-op multiplayer modes
. Real ray-traced reflections
. Picture-In-Picture capability during game play

System Requirements

CPU: 1.5 Ghz
Video: 64 Mb
Hard Drive: 700 Mb

Download it here - http://www.fileplanet.com/170590/download/Prism-Guard-Shield-(Free-Game)

Screenshots

noc10k.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRFZkmfSUOk

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Facewound

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Theme: Horror

Facewound is a 2D side scrolling shoot'em up that should retail for about $15, but Facepunch Studios decided to stop production and release it for free. Actually, the game is not complete, and is stated that the released version should be handled with care - unfinished, unpolished and should be treated with the same attitude you'd treat a leaked alpha with.

With that out of the way, it's time to say that Facewound is a brilliant piece of old school shooter action. It deftly merges the control scheme we know and love from Abuse (keyboard for movement and mouse for aiming) with some furious zombie shooting and visual effects aplenty. Unfinished? Yes, things like stair climbing animation are missing. Unpolished? Maybe, it could use some play testing to make sure the difficulty level and weapons access is balanced. Furious and fun? Absolutely!

Our hero is facing a zombie invasion and needs to cross the levels by shooting everything in sight and jumping a lot. You can perform some fabulous headshots but sometimes the zombies keep coming even without their heads. Dead enemies drop some green plutonium bars that must be collected to increase a meter and earn credits to purchase better weapons. It will take some time to experience the entire arsenal, ranging from simple handguns to machine guns, bows, grenades, laser weapons and flamethrowers. The visual effects that accompany the more powerful weapons are something to see, from the burning scenery (and zombies) to the glowing edges of buildings. Explosions are loud and the whole game is fast and frantic.

The weapon handling feels great (despite some occasional bugs, with a couple of them separated from your hands) and the bullet impact sounds perfect, with some delicious 'crunch' effects. Music is hard-hitting and powerful.

Facewound is a blast. It may be dubbed unfinished by its authors but it's extremely playable as it is and the bugs aren't that noticeable. Absolutely recommended.

Megazell's Comment - This game plays extremely well. It's a great game in all honesty. Very fun, funny and full of challenges. If the game is incomplete I did not notice it at all. I have yet to end it but from playing some of the levels it is groovy.

System Resources

CPU: 800 Mhz
Hard Drive: 30 Mb

Download it here - http://www.moddb.com/games/facewound

Screenshots

2s6tudi.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7RosR6q24

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Megazell's Top Pick
Eternal Daughter
Megazell's Top Pick

Action/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Fantasy

Eternal Daughter is the final game that was released under the Blackeye Software name. It took Jon Perry and I two years to make and nearly destroyed our immortal souls. It’s an homage to some of our favorite games from our preteen years, like Super Metroid and Castlevania: SOTN.

Even though the gameplay is familiar, the world, the characters, and the story are all our own. The game also marks my first teaming up with Swedish music virtuoso, David Saulesco, who produced an original soundtrack for it. Unfortunately, you cannot currently download the soundtrack.

Megazell's Comment - This is yet another great game. If you are fan of old school action games like Mario, Sonic and Golden Axe this game delivers. If you never played any of those games - Give this game a try. It has a solid story, great artwork/graphics and awesome soundtrack that pulls you into the world. This game is a hit whenever I have company and everyone that I have recommend the game to enjoyed it immensely.

System Requirements

CPU: 500 Mhz
Hard Drive: 10.1 Mb

Download it here - http://www.derekyu.com/games/ed.zip

Screenshots

ruqzwy.jpg

2ch86wx.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeXaoekMvSs

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
X-Men: Children Of The Atom

Fighting
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Gamepad Support - Yes
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Superheroes

X-Men: Children of the Atom is an arcade game that was produced by Capcom and released on the CPS-2 arcade system in 1994. It is the first fighting game produced by Capcom using characters under license from Marvel Comics, widely praised for its faithfulness in capturing the spirit of its namesake comics, by using colorful animation and voice actors from the X-Men animated series, such as Cathal Dodd as Wolverine.

The player has an "X-Power" gauge (Similar to the Super Combo gauge in Super Street Fighter II Turbo and the "Special" gauge in Darkstalkers) that builds as the player perform regular of special moves. X-Power gauge starts at Lv. 1 and reaches Lv. 2 when it becomes half-full and an Aura will begin to Surround the player's character until it becomes full and reaches MAX level. Players can then perform an "X-Ability", which consumes a small portion of the X-Power gauge, or a "Hyper X", which consumes a greater portion of the same gauge. Breaking one's fall from a throwing technique or performing a counterthrow will also consume a portion of the X-Power gauge when performed.

Other features introduced in Children of the Atom includes Super Jumps, the ability to roll away or towards an opponent after falling, the ability to determine the aim of a projectile move (such as Cyclops' eye beam), and the ability to pursuit an opponent after performing a throwing attack for additions attacks.

After selecting a character, the player can choose between "manual" or "automatic" blocking. By selecting to automatically block attacks, some features will not be available during gameplay.

The single-player mode consists of six computer-controlled opponents and two non-playable boss characters. Unlike some games, the player can not play against a clone of their own character. Akuma from Super Turbo, appears in the single-player mode as a secret opponent who appears after the sixth match if the requirements are met.

In 2001 a Mugen clone was released. It has been referred to by Capcom as fanart and nothing more. So long as the game is not sold for profit the company agreed now to pursue patent infringement.

System Requirements

CPU: 700 Mhz
Memory: 32 Mb
Video: 2 Mb
Hard Drive: 32 Mb

Download it here - http://www.old-games.com/download/3149/x-men-children-of-the Click Here!​

Last edited:
Hey Mega, do you use any specific peripherals or controllers for any of these games? I have a couple of $5 usb controllers but I can't seem to get anything to recognize them so I'll probably pick up one or two of those Xbox360 for Windows controllers. Was wondering if you had any experience with them and compatibility with your ever-expanding library?

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Hey Mega, do you use any specific peripherals or controllers for any of these games? I have a couple of $5 usb controllers but I can't seem to get anything to recognize them so I'll probably pick up one or two of those Xbox360 for Windows controllers. Was wondering if you had any experience with them and compatibility with your ever-expanding library?[/QUOTE]

What controllers do you have excatly? Maybe I can help. BTW - It's the OS that decide if the controllers will work. When XP came out a lot of old controllers no longer worked with the new OS.

This is my preferred controller. They work with XP and Linux and are very affordable.

Saitek - P220 - Staples - $4.99 in NYC

oj429c.jpg

I also have a few these - Saitek - P2900 - $12.99 - Amazing Savings Store in NYC

a5hpiq.jpg

These are more for guest and my family since they hate wires and prefer to play from the couch or bed. Personally, I prefer wire.

Megazell's Top Pick
Cube
Cube 2: Sauerbraten
AssaultCube
Megazell's Top Pick

First Person Shooter
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

Cube

Cube is the original game that started it all. Though it has been surpassed in almost every way by Cube 2, it is a game in its own right. Most importantly, it comes with over 100 (!) maps, most of which are not available in Cube 2, with extensive single and multi player content.

Cube is also smaller in every way, in download, in hardware requirements (runs well on older video cards!), and in source code (the absolutely tiny code base is a very easy start for those wishing to experiment).

It also has some unique engine features such as the high precision dynamic occlusion culling, and its heighfield based level format.

Cube 2: Sauerbraten

Free single and multi player 1st person shooter game with some satisfying fast oldskool gameplay. A large variety of gameplay modes from classic SP to fast 1 on 1 MP and objective based teamplay, with a great variety of original maps to play on.

Level editing has never been so much fun: a press of a key allows you to modify the geometry / textures / entities in-game, on the fly. Even more novel, you can make maps together with others online, in the unique "coop edit" mode (!)

The engine, though designed for simplicity and elegance as opposed to feature & eyecandy checklists, still competes nicely thanks to its novel "6-directional heighfield deformable cube octree" world structure that is the basis for its in-game editing. Occlusion culling, pixel & vertex shaders, very accurate lightmapping, robust custom physics system, network system, models, sound, scripting...

AssaultCube

AssaultCube, formerly ActionCube, is a free first-person-shooter based on the game Cube. Set in a realistic looking environment, as far as that´s possible with this engine, while gameplay stays fast and arcade. This game is all about team oriented multiplayer fun.

System Requirements

Cube
OS: Windows 95 or higher, Linux and Mac versions available
CPU: 500 Mhz
Hard Drive: 50 Mb *Will increase as you download maps*

Cube 2: Sauerbraten and AssaultCube
OS: Windows 98 SE or higher, Linux and Mac versions available
Video: GeForce 4 MX or higher
Hard Drive: 300 Mb

Download them all here - http://cubeengine.com/
or
Download it here - http://www.desura.com/games/sauerbraten-cube-2 Click Here!

Last edited:
Haha, for a second I thought those were going to be based off those Cube horror flicks.

How about tower defense games or possibly base builders?

When I get a chance I'll play through some of these and do a write-up. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Haha, for a second I thought those were going to be based off those Cube horror flicks.

How about tower defense games or possibly base builders?

When I get a chance I'll play through some of these and do a write-up. Keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

Give me an example of a commerical game. I have games listed by these genres - Turn Based Strategy, Real Time Strategy, Top Down Shooter, Side Scroller, First Person Shooter, Role playing, Puzzle, MMORPG, Sports, Racing and Odd.

Last edited:
Goldeneye 2D

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Theme: Espionage

As you've probably already guessed, GoldenEye 2D is a remake of the N64 classic (or best game ever). The Dam level has been crammed into a Gameboy styled sidescrolling shooter designed and coded in about 5 days. The missions, level design and enemies are the same as the N64 game, but have been altered slightly to make them work in a sidescroller.

Instead of collecting weapons from defeated enemies, this time you'll have to earn them. Fill the experience bar up by killing enemies and unlock a better weapon. Just make sure you don't take too many hits or you'll lose it.

Complete the game and get a GoldenEye Ranking. Are you a mighty 00 Agent, or a pathetic Klobb?

System Requirements

CPU: 250 Mhz
Hard Drive: 4 Mb

Download it here - http://www.perfectrun.net/index.php?id=pageget/goldeneye2d

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ8TOdIyEVY

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
[quote name='Megazell']Give me an example of a commerical game. I have games listed by these genres - Turn Base Strategy, Real Time Strategy, Top Down Shooter, Side Scroller, First Person Shooter, Role playing, Puzzle, MMORPG, Sports, Racing and Odd.[/QUOTE]

Tower defense: Plants VS Zombies, Defense Grid

Base building: Um, you build a base then waves of enemies attack you? They're essentially the same genre. Build phase, attack phase.

FreeCiv

Turn Based Strategy
Single Payer - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Other

Players take the role of a tribe leader in 4000 BC and have to guide their people through the centuries. Over time, new technologies are discovered, which allow the construction of new city buildings and the deployment of new units. Players can wage war on one another or form diplomatic relationships. The game ends when one civilization has eradicated all others, accomplished the goal of space colonization or at a certain deadline. If more than one civilization remains at the deadline, the player with the highest score wins. Points are awarded for the size of a civilization, its wealth, and cultural and scientific advances.

System Requirements

CPU: 100 Mhz
Memory: 16 Mb
Hard Drive: 30 Mb

Download it here - http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Screenshots

2i8znkk.png

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
[quote name='ChernobylCow']Tower defense: Plants VS Zombies, Defense Grid

Base building: Um, you build a base then waves of enemies attack you? They're essentially the same genre. Build phase, attack phase.[/QUOTE]

I think the only game I can think of that first comes to mind from this genre may be STRONGHOLD for the PC? I can look but I doubt I have them since those games are not my cup of tea.

You don't have an example? Google searches don't turn up much. The only base building I have done in a recent game was in City of Heroes. You made your base and defend them during base raids for Items of Power and/or bragging rights.

Last edited:
Yeah, Stronghold...those games aren't very good.

Base-building trap laying games: Evil Genius, Dungeon Master 1&2.
Other base building: Lock's Quest (DS, uh yeah). I guess I'd narrow it down to turnbased games.

UFO: Alien Invasion

Turn Based Strategy
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

It is the year 2084. You control a secret organisation charged with defending Earth from a brutal alien enemy. Build up your bases, prepare your team, and dive head-first into the fast and flowing turn-based combat.

UFO: Alien Invasion is a squad-based tactical strategy game in the tradition of the old X-COM PC games, but with a twist. Our game combines military realism with hard science-fiction and the weirdness of an alien invasion. The carefully constructed turn-based system gives you pin-point control of your squad while maintaining a sense of pace and danger.

Over the long term you will need to conduct research into the alien threat to figure out their mysterious goals and use their powerful weapons for your own ends. You will produce unique items and use them in combat against your enemies. If you like, you can even use them against your friends with our multiplayer functionality.

'UFO: Alien Invasion'. Endless hours of gameplay -- absolutely free.

System Requirements

OS: Windows 98 SE or higher, Linux and Mac versions available
CPU: 750 Mhz
Hard Drive: 200 Mb

Download it here - http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=Home
or
Download it here - http://www.desura.com/games/ufo-alien-invasion Click Here!​

Last edited:
[quote name='The Crotch']Jesus, how did I not mention FreeCiv earlier?[/QUOTE]

Dude, that happens to me all the time. When I have conversations with others about free pc games in the real world I always forget the games I take for granted but love playing.

A good example of this was when I was in Family Court (I also volunteer at Family Court as a Advocate for low income fathers) I was talking to some lawyers and judges awhile back about games. They were into MMORPGs...Some played WOW. Some played Dark Age of Camelot. I was playing City Of Heroes and a MUD (MegaCity and All Flesh Must Be Eaten). So I never mention the MUD because it's like the last game I ever introduce to people...turns out they all played MUDs...Even the ones I played.

Warzone 2100

Real Time Strategy
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

Warzone 2100 is a real-time strategy game in a post-apocalyptic setting that was developed by Pumpkin Studios in 1999. It was one of the first real-time strategy games in 3D, and is now the first commercial RTS that was made available under the GPL in December 2004.

"The Collapse came fast and hard. Following a technical error in the satellite defense system nuclear warheads were fired at Washington, Beijing and Moscow. Minutes later ground based sites fired in response to the launch. Millions died as nuclear firestorms wiped out the world's cities. Billions more died as plagues and epidemics swept away what remained of civilization. Less than a million people survived the Collapse. Earth broke into hundreds of small scavenger bands battling each other for the remnants of he former civilization. Only a few had the vision to attempt to rebuild a new world from the ashes."

System Requirements

CPU: 166 MHz
Hard Drive: 75 Mb

Download it here - http://wz2100.net/
or
Download it here - http://www.desura.com/games/warzone-2100 Click Here!​

Last edited:
Waitwaitwait. Warzone 2100 is abandonware now?

fuck yeah! Let's go make some Frankentanks!

EDIT: For those unfamiliar with the game, the gimmick there is that as you research/steal technology, you can use the bits and pieces to design new units. As I recall, there were three main components - body, weapon, and... means of locomotion.

[quote name='The Crotch']Waitwaitwait. Warzone 2100 is abandonware now?

fuck yeah! Let's go make some Frankentanks![/QUOTE]

I don't play it anymore but when it went free years ago...I use to ROCK it nightly!

Nitrome Must Die

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Netbook Friendly

There are plenty of reasons to like Nitrome Must Die - the abundance of levels, the saccharine-sweet graphics, the enraged adolescent protagonists. Most of all, however, Nitrome Must Die is likable is because, well, it's a game about two emo kids who have decided to rampage through Nitrome's fictional headquarters in an attempt to take revenge for the in-game frustration that the developer has caused.

As far as I can tell, there aren't too many people out there who are willing to point a gun at their own heads. Outside of the novel premise, though, Nitrome Must Die is largely your average Nitrome platformer which isn't a bad thing, per se. There are guns, upgrades, the option to play with a friend and a few other things to poke around with.

Megazell's Comment - Highly recommend you enjoy this with 2 game pads and Joy2Key.

System Requirements

OS: Windows XP or higher, Mac and Linux versions available
CPU: 900 Mhz

No Heavy Download Needed - Browser Based - http://www.nitrome.com/games/nitromemustdie/

Screenshots

nitromemustdie.png

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9b-qAu_Frw

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Ara Fell 2k3

RPG
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

"A world floating in the sky, blessed by the hands of god and protected by the spirit of the wind... In this land of magic and beauty, three souls search for the one they would call messiah. A hero to stand against the vile forces that oppress their homeland.

Here is born the fairyblood, the red cross of damnation, whose sign foreseen in the stars must embark upon the most harrowing journey our world has ever known. A journey that will forever change the lives touched by the heroine of this story... and the lives of every man, woman and child the world over.

As the enemies of our people prepare to strike at the heart of human civilization, as the phantoms of the past arise to challenge everything we hold dear, as the flag of oppression is slowly lifted, the grand prophecy of the High Goddess is revealed.

An unwilling savior, cursed by what felt like chance, but driven by a far greater purpose. Some may call it fate while others would call it her duty. Lita LeCotta, however, knows it only as the day her life as a carefree peasant living in the idyllic world of Ara Fell ended. In its place, she carries the red cross."

A traditional role playing game that emphasizes atmosphere and aesthetics, as well as fun gameplay and a well-told story. Music was gathered from all over the web. Some songs may be familiar and some not. All part of the charm!

Megazell's Comment - If you like old school RPG games this game is right up your alley. Lots and lots of a very well written reference to old rpg games.

System Requirements

CPU: 300 Mhz
Hard Drive: 60 Mb

Download it here - http://www.rpgrevolution.com/game/ara-fell-2k3-the-legend-of-dirisetsu-hollow_10.html

Screenshots

2rg1fut.jpg

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Narbacular Drop

Puzzle
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Narbacular Drop is an environmental puzzle game in a fantasy setting, where the player navigates a dungeon with two interconnected portals. The dungeon has a series of traps and puzzles, which the player must solve by moving around objects in the environment using the portals. The key feature of this game is the Portal System. This portal system is a technical feature that is demonstrated in a few games to date, and has never before been the central focus of a game. The concept is two interconnecting portals that can be freely placed by the player. When looking into one portal, the viewer sees out the other and vice versa. The added feature of moving through the portals allows for many unique gameplay possibilities.

This portal system, combined with a basic physics simulation allows for a huge level of interactivity. Players can toss boxes, boulders, or even themselves around the dungeon. Players can come up with their own creative solutions for the puzzles presented.

The portal interface is very simple. The left mouse button fires the a blue portal, which appears on the wall, ceiling, or floor in front of the player. The right mouse button fires a red portal. Only one of each portal can be open at a time. This allows for a fast learning curve and low-intensity game play that benefits puzzle games.

Narbacular Drop is a fun, original puzzle game with unique and intuitive game play. Players can find creative solutions to engaging environmental puzzles using a never before seen portal system. The cartoon atmosphere and low-intensity, simple game play will make for a very fun and memorable game.

It was released free online in 2005 on PC (DX9). It was the senior game project of students attending DigiPen. The gameplay consists of navigating a dungeon using an innovative portal system. The player controls two interconnected portals that can be placed on any non-metallic surface (wall, ceiling, or floor). The developers went on to write the critically acclaimed Portal using many of the same concepts.

The word Narbacular, not existing in any dictionary, was chosen primarily to aid in internet search engine results.

System Requirements

CPU: 1.0 Ghz
Hard Drive: 300 Mb

Download it here - https://www.digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/NarbacularDrop/
or
Download it here - http://www.gamershell.com/download_17513.shtml

Screenshots

28qygaw.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaA5oJJA-Yk

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Verminest
Verminest'83

Shooter/Vertical
Single Player - No
Multiplayer - Yes

A ferocious insect army from planet Verminest is spreading through the space. Defend your planet and fight back them until you finally reach the nest of Queen Verminia.

They came from Verminest is 100% old-school, based in early arcades like Galaga or Centipede, but also in Sci-Fi movies from the 50's like Them!, The Deadly Mantis, Black Scorpion, Tarantula or my favorite: Godzilla!

Crazy maneuvers are rewarded: kill enemies in a short-range to get medals, kill leaders to scare enemies an get more medals. You’ll get a bonus every 10 medals!

Clever gameplay, gray-scale color palette, FM music fanfares and sound effects will take you back to the never-existent Arcade era of the 50’s, where fun was the only thing!

System Requirements

Memory: 32Mb
Video Card: 32 Mb
Hard Drive: 48.9 Mb Click Here!

Last edited:
Y'know, while I've been aware of it this whole time, I've never actually tried I Wanna Be The Guy before.

Well, two bosses (
Mike Tyson and
Mecha Birdo
) down, and I'm stuck on my most dastardly opponent yet:

zigzagspikes.png

fuck this drop. fuck these spikes. fuck The Guy.

EDIT: Well, whaddya know? About 35 deaths later, and I'm past it. And miracle of miracles, there's an accessible save point after it!

EDIT2: Ah, fuck you, Ryu.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^

LOL!

Yeah man that game brings back a lot of Nintendo moments when I was cussing @ the console!

Well, I made it all the way back to the central hub. I'm trying to get down to the bottom path, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. There's this weird vibrating spike on the wall near the bottom of a huge-ass drop, but it's a little hard to check out without getting exploded, so it could just be a red herring.

EDIT: So there's a shortcut in the central hub... to an area that I've already been to. And it's one-way. So now I have to play through half of the fucking bullshit I already went through just to get to this point, including the aforementioned zig-zag of doom and... oh cuntfuck, I've gotta go through the Ghouls 'n Ghosts level again, don't I? fuck you, The Guy.

The Elder Scrolls: Arena
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

RPG
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Arena was to be the first chapter in an ongoing series of games, so the series took its name from Tamriel's mystical tomes of knowledge that told of its past, present, and future -- The Elder Scrolls.

Daggerfall featured one of the first true 3D worlds on a massive scale, with a game world the size of Great Britain. The game had twice as many features as Arena, a deeper role-playing system, and helped usher in an RPG renaissance in 1996.

Inspired by such games as Ultima Underworld and the unheralded Legends of Valour, Arena was now seen as a massive first-person RPG -- the game that recreated the pen-and-paper RPG experience -- be who you want and do what you want. For a long time Arena was a party-based game, where you lead a group of adventurers. This style of play proved less fun in first person, so Arena became a single character game.

Megazell's Comment - I am trying to make sure this thread stays on the easy to use side but I had to post this up. Recently, I reconnected with some old gaming buddies and we started talking about the most challenging games we have played recently...Not many came up from the last 7 to 10 years. This was one of the games that did come up for us. This game had all the right components that to this day you can find many fan sites that are very active still modding and talking about it. It requires a bit of setup but I believe it is very much worth it. It's not a pretty game by any means but the story and gameplay are true role play. Download Dosbox here - http://www.dosbox.com/

System Requirements

CPU: 40 Mhz
Hard Drive: 160 Mb

Download it here - http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena

Last edited:
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto 2

Shooter/Top Down
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

Theme: Crime

In 1997, a band of developers that would come to be known as Rockstar North and Rockstar Games released the original Grand Theft Auto on an unsuspecting public. The groundbreaking non-linear urban crime game shook up a complacent game industry with its irreverent gameplay, humor and style- and a phenomenon was born.

We are now offering this classic progenitor of the Rockstar Games lineage as the first in a recurring series of Rockstar PC game downloads, absolutely free of charge. It's a chance for new fans to experience the roots of Rockstar as well as our way of saying thank you to our long-time supporters feeling that pang of nostalgia.

In 1999, Rockstar Games and Rockstar North (then known as DMA Design) furthered the groundbreaking gameplay concepts established just two years prior in the original Grand Theft Auto - with the release of GTA2. GTA2 expanded on the top-down, open-ended crime world gameplay formula with a host of new features including the advent of multiple rival gangs – seven, to be exact, including the Yakuza, Scientists, Looneys, Rednecks, Zaibatsu, the Russian Mob and Hare Krishnas. Earn your respect with each gang. Reap the benefits with all manner of shady work-for-hire gigs contracted your way. And climb your way to the top of the criminal pile.

Now, longtime Grand Theft Auto fans can revisit this classic entry in the series - and new jacks who missed out on this early franchise title can further discover Grand Theft Auto’s roots - absolutely free. GTA2 has been completely optimized for play on modern PCs and is available gratis for all registrants to the Rockstar Games mailing list (rest assured your information will not be shared with any third parties, you will only receive information from Rockstar).

System Requirements

CPU: 100 Mhz
Video: 8 Mb
Hard Drive: 200 Mb

Download both here - http://www.rockstargames.com/downloads#/dl:/collection:7/content:/downloads/getClassics/7

Gameplay Video

GTA 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiGK_zCRAMg

GTA 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCc0jEm43A0

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Megazell's Top Pick
Synaesthete
Megazell's Top Pick

Shooter/Top Down
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Gamepad Support - Yes

Synaesthete creates a harmony between player actions and in-game music, in a way that each influences the other. The rhythm and flow of the music is expressed in every detail of the game, so that the visual and audio are not two experiences, but one.

System Requirements

CPU: 2 Ghz
Memory: 512 Mb
Video: 128 Mb
Hard Drive: 100 Mb

Download it here - https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=383

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp0Gasls0Sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9odkod5FFI

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Treasure Adventure Game

Platformer/RPG/Adventure
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

Treasure Adventure Game is out?! How did I end up missing that one? On the off chance that you're not otherwise preoccupied with the new Humble Bundle or Skyrim, here's something that won't require your wallet.

Created by Robit Studios, Treasure Adventure Game is a gorgeous, retro-inspired open-world 2D platform adventure game. Starring a hook-handed kid and his parrot, it will have you working with NPC sleeping schedules, hats, weather effects and a customizable boat of your own. Okay, I'm not sure if that last bit warranted emphasis but Treasure Adventure Game is something I've been looking forward to since I first heard about it.

Described as a unique mash-up of Super Mario Bros 2 and Wind Waker, Treasure Adventure game will apparently be released on November 26, 2011. For the time being, however, you can check out the beta version of the game. According to the developer, there are bugs and glitches to look out for but I doubt this is going to be at the forefront of anyone's mind. - IndieGames.com

System Requirements

Hard Drive: 104 Mb

Download it here - http://www.indiedb.com/games/treasure-adventure-game
or
Download it here - http://www.gog.com/gamecard/treasure_adventure_game Click Here!​

Last edited:
Ski Challenge 2012

Sports/Skiing
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Gamepad Support - Yes

Theme: Other

The Ski Challenge is the most successful virtual skiing racing game worldwide and one of the most popular online games ever! It is a fully financed In Game Advertising event, which is suitable for the whole family and a fantastic multiplayer success story made in Austria with fans in over 50 countries!

- A thrilling new run
- Playable in Browser via Web PlugIn
- Improved user friendliness thanks to comprehensive testing and subsequent tweaking during the summer
- Multilingualism (a draw for international media partners)
- Various, new minimodes
- Realistically integrated campaigns, which can also adapt dynamically

System Requirements

Hard Drive: 2 Gb

Download it here - http://www.ski-challenge.com/ Click Here!

Last edited:
Zombie Smashers X

Action/Brawler
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Netbook Friendly

Zombie Smashers X is a 2D sidescrolling fighting game for Microsoft Windows from Ska Software. It was released in 2001 as shareware and then re-released in 2006 as freeware. Zombie Smashers has yielded two sequels with a third on the way.

System Requirements

Hard Drive: 25 Mb

Download it here - http://www.compmike19.com/id180.htm
or
Download it here - http://www.mediafire.com/?mc8qmz9t9ro89a1

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbGqOB2vaU

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Survival Crisis Z

Shooter/Top Down
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

Survival Crisis Z is an open ended intense survival experience that is nearly as much RPG as it is arcade. Make money or steal it. Buy weapons or pick them off a fresh corpse. Work for the leaders of the post-apocalyptic ruin or have them working for you.

Megazell's Comment - May not work well with Vista - Go here for fix - http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=280945

System Requirements

Download it here - http://www.ska-studios.com/2007/09/07/just-a-friendly-reminder/
or
Download it here - http://www.mediafire.com/?24v6p5a8pz8htkg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol73B6siNUY

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
Megazell's Top Pick!
Zombpocalyse
Megazell's Top Pick!

Top Down Shooter
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No (Coming Soon)

Simply stated, Zombpocalyse is a no-frills action arcade shooter; reminiscent of the 8-bit era, but with next generation flare.

In the recent events of a world wide outbreak, a system has been put into effect by the nations around the world to eliminate the threat. You play as a civilian who has been selected to reduce the zombie population with the promise of cold hard cash. Your payout will be determined as you embark on a killing spree that is sure to satisfy the most rabid zombie-stomping fans. Use quick reflexes and advanced weaponry to tear through the swarms of undead but think fast because these aren’t your average zombies.

Megazell's Comment: fuckING FUN! Currently, the game is in Demo mode. The game is schedule for completion soon so keep out eyes peeled.

System Requirements

CPU: 1.0 Ghz
Video: 128 Mb
Memory: 1GB
Hard Drive: 800 Mb

Download it here - http://www.zombpocalypse.com/

Screenshots

2yxi25u.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGhbJpBEo1s

Glest

Real Time Strategy
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

Glest is a free 3D real-time strategy game, where you control the armies of two different factions: Tech, which is mainly composed of warriors and mechanical devices, and Magic, that prefers mages and summoned creatures in the battlefield.

Glest is not just a game, but also an engine to make strategy games, based on XML and a set of tools. A few mods already exist.

System Requirements

CPU: 1.4 Ghz
Memory: 128 Mb
Hard Drive: 500 Mb to 3 Gb (Mods)

Download it here - http://glest.org/

Screenshots

dp7frp.jpg

21dh56t.jpg

2ibkzeh.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YilxYf8DbM

HL 2 Mod for Glest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeiFG5xaib8

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
I suppose I should comment on the earlier-mentioned UFO: Alien Invasion, a game "inspired" by X-Com.

Now, I'm a big fan of X-Com. This is not X-Com. Yes, yes, it is basically a fan-made X-Com game - hire soldiers, buildiers, and scientists, research shit that you take from aliens, turn units, laser and plasma, default bases coming with absolute shit layouts, etc.

But there are a few very... non X-Com feeling things. Specifically, regular fights are way easier, but aerial battles are way harder. Gone are the god-like supermen known as "Sectoid Navigators". There's actually a half-way decent chance that you will make it through your first battle with all your troops intact.

The chances of them all surviving the return trip, however... not as good. The fact of the matter is, your starting aircraft are pure, unadulterated shit. Attempting to intercept a UFO will result in you getting your shit absolutely wrecked in a matter of seconds. Add to that the habit that enemies have of intercepting your aircraft, and you've got some pretty good ragequit material.

The game also has some obviously unfinished-feeling bits. Some item descriptions simply read "To be added". Some walls have these pain-in-the-ass "dead zones" around them that prevent you from actually standing near them. Hope you like crouching three feet away from cover, asshole.

Also, whereas the movement of X-Com civilians appeared to be covered by a cruel and capricious RNG god, the people in UFO appear to actually have AI. Unfortunately, said AI seems to have a fetish of the sexual variety for plasma in the face. I can not tell you how many times I have seen NPCs start off in perfectly safe areas, only to run full-tilt ahead of my troops into enemy gunfire. I appreciate the meatshield and all, guys, but still...

EDIT: Oh, yeah. There is a dreadful lack of destructible environments. Wish you could make armour out of wooden handrails - that shit holds up to RPGs just fine.

[quote name='Megazell']
Survival Crisis Z

Side Scroller Action
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

Survival Crisis Z is an open ended intense survival experience that is nearly as much RPG as it is arcade. Make money or steal it. Buy weapons or pick them off a fresh corpse. Work for the leaders of the post-apocalyptic ruin or have them working for you.

System Requirements

[/QUOTE]

You might want to mention this "fix" to get that game running under Vista

[quote name='rumarudrathas']You might want to mention this "fix" to get that game running under Vista[/QUOTE]

^ Follow that fix if you are using Vista :)

I keep forgetting people may actually be using that OS :)

Last edited:
Alt Code

Shooter/Horizontal
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Netbook Friendly

Altcode is a horizontal-scrolling shoot-'em-up rendered using ASCII characters, featuring waves after waves of enemies to shoot at and a variety of power-up items to collect. There are three types of ships to choose from: the light ship is highly maneuverable, the heavy one has more firepower and can take more damage, while the normal craft is a perfect balance between the two.

Every time your ship takes damage a tiny fraction of your shield energy is lost, but it can be easily replenished by collecting the repair item to restore the shield indicator back to full capacity. The spacecraft also moves slower whenever shots are fired, so if you need a burst of speed then letting go of the shot button (assigned to the C key) may help just a bit. - IndieGames.com

System Requirements

Hard Drive: 6.06 Mb

Download it here - http://www.frankiesmileshow.com/altcode/

Screenshots

altcode2j.png

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rnMtUdN8A

--> Click Here!

Last edited:
[quote name='The Crotch']I suppose I should comment on the earlier-mentioned UFO: Alien Invasion, a game "inspired" by X-Com.

Now, I'm a big fan of X-Com. This is not X-Com. Yes, yes, it is basically a fan-made X-Com game - hire soldiers, buildiers, and scientists, research shit that you take from aliens, turn units, laser and plasma, default bases coming with absolute shit layouts, etc.

But there are a few very... non X-Com feeling things. Specifically, regular fights are way easier, but aerial battles are way harder. Gone are the god-like supermen known as "Sectoid Navigators". There's actually a half-way decent chance that you will make it through your first battle with all your troops intact.

The chances of them all surviving the return trip, however... not as good. The fact of the matter is, your starting aircraft are pure, unadulterated shit. Attempting to intercept a UFO will result in you getting your shit absolutely wrecked in a matter of seconds. Add to that the habit that enemies have of intercepting your aircraft, and you've got some pretty good ragequit material.

The game also has some obviously unfinished-feeling bits. Some item descriptions simply read "To be added". Some walls have these pain-in-the-ass "dead zones" around them that prevent you from actually standing near them. Hope you like crouching three feet away from cover, asshole.

Also, whereas the movement of X-Com civilians appeared to be covered by a cruel and capricious RNG god, the people in UFO appear to actually have AI. Unfortunately, said AI seems to have a fetish of the sexual variety for plasma in the face. I can not tell you how many times I have seen NPCs start off in perfectly safe areas, only to run full-tilt ahead of my troops into enemy gunfire. I appreciate the meatshield and all, guys, but still...

EDIT: Oh, yeah. There is a dreadful lack of destructible environments. Wish you could make armour out of wooden handrails - that shit holds up to RPGs just fine.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this in-depth review. 9/10 I can not play the games all the way through. Either I just install them @ the center for the kids to play and down the line some of them come up and talk about it or I play one from beginning to the end during a long travel.

I find myself sticking to short burst arcade games or matches in some of the FPS I play.

I hope more CAGers speak up about the games they play on this list :applause:

Synaesthete!!!!!!!!!!

Just count how many exclamation point follow from the game title, and that my rating, out of ten. That is the first Free game that I loaded up in my new computer, for good reason. Highly polished, really good music, and pretty to look at, this is the game that I suggest to the DDR freaks in my circle (aside from the popular Stepmania, of course). This game will challenge people's ability to mult-task, from dodging enemies and hazards to hitting the notes precisely to unleash your attacks.

Wait, you did mention Stepmania, right (too lazy to check)?

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Synaesthete!!!!!!!!!!

Just count how many exclamation point follow from the game title, and that my rating, out of ten. That is the first Free game that I loaded up in my new computer, for good reason. Highly polished, really good music, and pretty to look at, this is the game that I suggest to the DDR freaks in my circle (aside from the popular Stepmania, of course). This game will challenge people's ability to mult-task, from dodging enemies and hazards to hitting the notes precisely to unleash your attacks.

Wait, you did mention Stepmania, right (too lazy to check)?

[/QUOTE]

Will check it out then post it.

Don't be too lazy now - Lots of great gems in here :)

bread's done
Back