Metal Gear Peace Walker for PSP

I was going to order Peace Walker just now from Gamestop using a 25off code when I noticed they have a CE listed for $10 more. Unfortunately, clicking on the add to cart or on the title takes you to an error page. I wonder what's in the CE? I'm hesitant to order the regular until I find out what's in the CE.

[quote name='mxpowar']I was going to order Peace Walker just now from Gamestop using a 25off code when I noticed they have a CE listed for $10 more. Unfortunately, clicking on the add to cart or on the title takes you to an error page. I wonder what's in the CE? I'm hesitant to order the regular until I find out what's in the CE.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it comes with an artbook

[quote name='62t']Looks like it comes with an artbook[/QUOTE]
An artbook for $10 AND no bonus headband? No thanks, GS.

Ordered the regular version with Deathsmiles and Sniper: Ghost Warrior using the 25off coupon.

I used the bonus trade in credit for a psp and preordered the big boss pack. I'm finally excited to play a psp game again.

[quote name='Ed_']I stopped by Lamestop after work to ore order the big boss bundle.[/QUOTE]

"Fight the machine!" *continues to support corporation*

If anyone's on the fence and has a PSP, play the demo. I thought that the controls worked very well apart from some of the CQC stuff (which I basically never use within the games).

Anyone working on the PW Code Hunt? I have 600K+ points. If you are interested, let me know. It's the last day. Let's see how high we can get in the Leaderboards.

Considering picking this up , but I haven't played any MGS games since the first one so would I probably end up being lost story wise , or would it not really matter any?

If it does matter , than I'll probably just wait off to play it once I finally catch up on the rest of the series , whenever that ends up happening.

Both the CE and the Big Boss bundle don't seem to be listed on the website anymore. Are they really limited?!

[quote name='eau']Both the CE and the Big Boss bundle don't seem to be listed on the website anymore. Are they really limited?![/QUOTE]
Considering that the MGS4 LE and MGS3: Subsistence LE were both actually limited, I would say, YES.

I'm looking forward to Peace Walker I have been in need of a PSP game for a long time!!! I'll be picking up CE on Tuesday with headband from GameStop.:D

Just received a cancellation notice from Gamestop on my order for the CE. Customer Service told me it was because I had insufficent funds on the giftcard that was used for the order. >_<

20 minutes on the phone and they think they have the issue resolved. Of course, now the entire order is showing at regular price and not the 25% off I had previously. Additionally, the bonus bandanna isn't showing up on the order either.

EDIT: Yay! They fixed it. Can't wait to get into some more MGS. Ac!d just wasn't very fun...

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I can just go in on tuesday and get the CE I was gonna preorder it during my lunch break on Friday but I went the wrong way cause I lost my sense of direction and by the time I realized my break was nearly over and I hadn't even eaten yet.

But I mean I really need to see this artbook it has to be kickass for me to drop and extra $10 on it.

FURIOUS with GameStop right now. Have never had a problem in the past. But they call me this morning saying that they somehow weren't sent my CE copy that I had preordered ages ago (sounds like I was the lone person to even preorder this edition there too). Gut tells me this new guy is blowing smoke up my ass so I'm gonna have to wait for manager to be in and have him look up shipment in computer to get to the bottom of this.

Based on what I played so far this game is better than MGS4. btw you must do the 320MB install if you want your codec to be voiced

Sigh. If it were on the PS3, it would have been a completely different game (MGS4 all over again).

It was designed specifically for the PSP, actually to be a game his son would play with his friends (ad-hoc gaming is popular among kids in Japan)

It sucks, it seems like they put a lot of effort and detail into co-op stuff, so Japanese schoolkids could enjoy it more. That doesn't help us though, who don't have dozens of PSP owners in our immediate vicinity.

Really enjoying this game. I like the mission-based gameplay, but it does suck that if you die, you have to restart the mission.

Just got to Chapter 2. The briefing files are like the codec of this game. They are worth listening to if you like listening to every codec in past MGS games

I'm having a very hard time getting into this game. The MGS4 style control doesn't translate well to the PSP. The system is uncomfortable as hell.

I'll probably try one of the other control styles next, but holy crap. I really want to enjoy the game, but it's literally painful to play due to the size of the unit, and it's a crapshoot to control.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'm having a very hard time getting into this game. The MGS4 style control doesn't translate well to the PSP. The system is uncomfortable as hell.

I'll probably try one of the other control styles next, but holy crap. I really want to enjoy the game, but it's literally painful to play due to the size of the unit, and it's a crapshoot to control.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading reviews, and this is the first I've heard of this complaint. Most say the controls translate pretty well considering only one analog stick. Painful to play? You don't happen to have tiny hands like that guy in the Burger King commercials, do you?

[quote name='keithp']I've been reading reviews, and this is the first I've heard of this complaint. Most say the controls translate pretty well considering only one analog stick. Painful to play? You don't happen to have tiny hands like that guy in the Burger King commercials, do you?[/QUOTE]

If I had Burger King Guy hands, I'd probably be more comfortable. I have big hands. I literally outgrew the original GBA. I keep my fat DS because it's the only portable gaming console big enough for my hands. Maybe the DSi XL is, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='Chuplayer']If I had Burger King Guy hands, I'd probably be more comfortable. I have big hands. I literally outgrew the original GBA. I keep my fat DS because it's the only portable gaming console big enough for my hands. Maybe the DSi XL is, too, but I haven't tried it yet.[/QUOTE]

all the better to touch dolls with.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'm having a very hard time getting into this game. The MGS4 style control doesn't translate well to the PSP. The system is uncomfortable as hell.

I'll probably try one of the other control styles next, but holy crap. I really want to enjoy the game, but it's literally painful to play due to the size of the unit, and it's a crapshoot to control.[/QUOTE]

I find the Hunter setting working pretty well. But I am also used to Monster Hunter

I think the normal setting is fine. The only time that I have difficulty with the controls is when I alert enemies and I'm trying to kill them while they're running around trying to kill me.

Is anyone else creeped out by the AI enemies? It's that lalala song they sing/play, it's freakin' me out!

Just played through the demo and getting the feeling this game is going to be very difficult. Not saying that's a bad thing, just wish there was some form of mid-mission saving. Kinda sucks when you die and you know you were right at the end of the mission, only to have to restart it from the beginning. Fortunately the demo missions are relatively short so it wasn't a huge issue there, but have to imagine these become longer as the game progresses.

Controls definitely take some getting used to. If you've played Syphon Filter on PSP then maybe you're very familiar with using the face buttons to aim/control camera. But since I didn't, have to say it felt a bit awkward (particularly trying to aim with enemies approaching). Probably something you get used to the more you play, but it does make the wish the PSP had 2 analog sticks to make this so much easier.

Gameplay is still as solid as ever though so look forward to playing the full game.

[quote name='V878']Just played through the demo and getting the feeling this game is going to be very difficult. Not saying that's a bad thing, just wish there was some form of mid-mission saving. Kinda sucks when you die and you know you were right at the end of the mission, only to have to restart it from the beginning. Fortunately the demo missions are relatively short so it wasn't a huge issue there, but have to imagine these become longer as the game progresses.[/QUOTE]
One thing to make you feel better about that is the boss battles always seem to be separate missions.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']

Is anyone else creeped out by the AI enemies? It's that lalala song they sing/play, it's freakin' me out![/QUOTE]

Wait till you are fighting one and that song goes on during the battle

So for everyone who has it, what color is your UMD? I have the collectors edition (which really just contains the retail pack) and it's a yellow disc, but the one that came in the Big Boss bundle is grey. I'm wondering if there's a different version for the Entertainment pack too.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']One thing to make you feel better about that is the boss battles always seem to be separate missions.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely a relief, considering how much I've been hearing about the difficulty of boss battles in this game.

Despite struggling quite a bit in the demo (the Mountain Facility infiltration mission in particular), the gameplay is typical MGS fun so looking forward to playing the full game.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']So for everyone who has it, what color is your UMD? I have the collectors edition (which really just contains the retail pack) and it's a yellow disc, but the one that came in the Big Boss bundle is grey. I'm wondering if there's a different version for the Entertainment pack too.[/QUOTE]

This is my UMD from the regular edition of the game

Well, all right. I switched over to the controls that are supposed to be similar to the Portable Ops control scheme, and I find myself blaming the controls much, much less. The controls aren't perfect, but they're a heck of a lot better than the MGS4 themed controls. And while I'm at it, I'll be getting used to the Portable Ops control scheme for when I play that game.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I think the normal setting is fine. The only time that I have difficulty with the controls is when I alert enemies and I'm trying to kill them while they're running around trying to kill me.

Is anyone else creeped out by the AI enemies? It's that lalala song they sing/play, it's freakin' me out![/QUOTE]

I hear that song and my brain immediatly thinks ZOE. So, I don't mind at all. :)

[quote name='Chuplayer']Well, all right. I switched over to the controls that are supposed to be similar to the Portable Ops control scheme, and I find myself blaming the controls much, much less. The controls aren't perfect, but they're a heck of a lot better than the MGS4 themed controls. And while I'm at it, I'll be getting used to the Portable Ops control scheme for when I play that game.[/QUOTE]

Are you playing Peace Walker before Portable Ops? That would be a huge mistake

[quote name='62t']Are you playing Peace Walker before Portable Ops? That would be a huge mistake[/QUOTE]

Yes I am. I just got my PSP on Tuesday in the Big Boss pack. I know I'm playing them backwards, but what else was I going to do?

[quote name='62t']Are you playing Peace Walker before Portable Ops? That would be a huge mistake[/QUOTE]

I am too. Why is that a big mistake? I'm not sure I'll ever play PO though.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Yes I am. I just got my PSP on Tuesday in the Big Boss pack. I know I'm playing them backwards, but what else was I going to do?[/QUOTE]

Pick up a used copy of Portable Ops and play that first? Peace Walker fixed many of the issues with PO and it will be a pain to play that after peace walker.

Some of the things Peace Walker fixed:
1. Fulton instead of dragging enemies halfway across the stage to capture them.
2. You can only carry 4 items in PO and unable to pick up items you would see. In PW you can carry a lot more stuff plus if you ran out of stuff they are automatically transfer to your base.
3. crouch walk instead of crawl.
and a lot more.

PO is a great game thats worth playing too, so finish that before starting peace walker

Yea- the gameplay of PW borrows a lot from PO - but improves it a lot. The army building and using different soldiers to complete tasks, etc.

I think PW does a much better job of actually feeling like you are playing a level though. All of the stages in PO felt like you were just in a square box the whole time.

I'm not going to tell anyone to not play a game- but it might just be easier to read a plot summary of PO and move on.

To all the people complaining about the controls- i wish they would release a patch for this so we could play it on the PS3 with the DS3 like they did with Resistance. I feel like my analog gets stuck in the walk portion a lot, and doesn't allow me to run sometimes.

Just finished it. The final boss was a bitch.

I'd like to continue playing through the extra missions, but I think I'll be taking a break at least.

bread's done
Back