Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

[quote name='Thomas96']Mana, Konami should know exactly how much traffic they should have at most, because they know exactly how many beta codes they gave out.[/QUOTE]Konami doesn't exactly seem convinced there are enough PS3 users wanting MGS4 (I forget what that guys name is at Konami America and Europe, who slammed the PS3 pricecut as not being enough and such) and still unsure about whether it should be exclusive. :rolleyes: Thankfully, Kojima wants to keep it on PS3 only (or as it seems) and Sony definitely seems to be supporting it well.

Anyway, I tried logging in with my Game-ID and got an error online.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I was referring to the beta codes = players in the beta idea.[/quote]

Right on. My badski

No beta yet...Still unable to connect to server

[quote name='darthbudge']Can anyone confirm if the beta is live now? It is the 21st in Japan now I believe.[/quote]
No, it probably won't be live until tonight.

If you do want something to do, the manual's live, so you can do some reading for now.

[quote name='darthbudge']Can anyone confirm if the beta is live now? It is the 21st in Japan now I believe.[/quote]

No go. I've been trying off and on for the last 15 mins.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No, it probably won't be live until tonight.

If you do want something to do, the manual's live, so you can do some reading for now.[/quote]

Well, I still have to go through patching process, so it will be awhile.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am gonna be available ALOT during the beta and I have a headset. Should I make a separate thread?[/QUOTE]
Make it so.

The online manual says in the Clan Ranking section:

Display rankings by clan. In PREMIERE BETA, only Activeness Rankings are available.
Activeness Rankings rank clans according to how active they are.

The manual also mentions clan emblems displayed next to each character's name. The clan leader has the rights to edit the emblem, but can delegate the responsibility to another member. I don't ever remember hearing about that, but it seems pretty cool.

I'm almost certain that it'll be the character name that you'll need to have for your friends list.

Edit: :lol: They have training lobbies for noobs. You can practice by shooting dummies around the level.

Edit 2: Controls can be found here. I see rolling is on the X button again, so it's time to start using the rolling defense.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm almost certain that it'll be the character name that you'll need to have for your friends list.

Edit: :lol: They have training lobbies for noobs. You can practice by shooting dummies around the level.

Edit 2: Controls can be found here. I see rolling is on the X button again, so it's time to start using the rolling defense.[/quote]

That's about the only thing that's the same. I already know it'll take me a little bit to get used the the new controls. I might need the noob lobbies :bomb:

[quote name='primetime']That's about the only thing that's the same. I already know it'll take me a little bit to get used the the new controls. I might need the noob lobbies :bomb:[/quote]
There's also the select button to communicate and the R2 and L2 buttons to cycle weapons/items, too.

[quote name='primetime']That's about the only thing that's the same. I already know it'll take me a little bit to get used the the new controls. I might need the noob lobbies :bomb:[/quote]

I think I'll get some use out of the noob lobbies. Warhawk recently added noob lobbies. Is this something PSN games must have now? If so, I like it.

I'm not sure how many skills there are, but the site also offers descriptions of a bunch of them that you can equip and level up:

sub_menu_08_04.gif

HAND.GUN MASTERY - Skill wielding handguns. Reduces recoil when firing and decreases reload time.
SBMC.GUN MASTERY - Skill wielding submachine guns. Reduces recoil when firing and decreases reload time.
ASSLT.R MASTERY - Skill wielding assault rifles. Reduces recoil when firing and decreases reload time.
SHOT.GUN MASTERY - Skill wielding shotguns. Reduces recoil when firing and makes reloading and pump action faster.
SNIPER.R MASTERY - Skill wielding sniper rifles. Reduces recoil when firing and makes reloading and bolt action faster.
ZOOM UP - Increases the zoom rate when aiming weapons in First Person View. (Does not affect zoom rate when using a scope)
ENHANCED LOCK ON - Extends the maximum lock-on distance.
THROWING MASTERY - Skill wielding throwing weapons. Enables you to throw farther.
TRAP MASTERY - Skill wielding traps. Enables you to set up traps more quickly.
CQC MASTERY - Close quarters combat skill. Press and hold the R1 button to use CQC against nearby enemies.
KNIFE MASTERY - Skill wielding knives. Raising this skill enables faster knife attacks.
FAST MOV - Level of agility. Increases movement speed.
ENEMY EXPOSURE - Displays enemies you've attacked. Can share data through SOP.
AWARE - Displays nearby traps. Can share data through SOP.
TARGET ALERT - Displays attacking enemy when locked-on and damage is taken. Can share data through SOP.
SCANNING - Skill needed: CQC Press the △ button to inject Scanning Plug S into a captured enemy and display link info. Can share data through SOP.

You can assign four skills or spend four skill point, whichever comes first.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not sure how many skills there are, but the site also offers descriptions of a bunch of them that you can equip and level up:

You can assign four skills or spend four skill point, whichever comes first.[/quote]

Between Enemy Exposure and Target Alert, there is an Aware skill on the online manual. The description is: Displays nearby traps. Can share data through SOP.

I think I already have a good idea of which skills fit my game the best.

Do you think the Limited Edition will be Limited? I mean, I know that the Metal Gear Solid 3 Limited was but this time It's Gamestop that is doing it. Gamestop also had the Final Fantasy XII limited edition license and they overprinted a whole bunch of them and you can find them at gamestop for 20 new and 17.99 used. So, I trust Konami to make a limited edition but I just know that I will get screwed over by Gamestop cause you know they are going to print a shit ton. any thoughts?

[quote name='sparklecopy']Do you think the Limited Edition will be Limited? I mean, I know that the Metal Gear Solid 3 Limited was but this time It's Gamestop that is doing it. Gamestop also had the Final Fantasy XII limited edition license and they overprinted a whole bunch of them and you can find them at gamestop for 20 new and 17.99 used. So, I trust Konami to make a limited edition but I just know that I will get screwed over by Gamestop cause you know they are going to print a shit ton. any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

what does it matter? if you want the bonus crap buy it, if not don't. VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT. read that as many times as it takes to get it into your brain. over the long run you are not going to make money on them, as a trend they devalue an astounding rate. if you are really concerned about getting your money's worth, stay a few years behind the curve and video games are a bargain.

You know...I'm honestly expecting Konami to have this game running on 56k servers.

That SOP system seems extremely complex. Unique, but complex.

[quote name='TheShiz']what does it matter? if you want the bonus crap buy it, if not don't. VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT. read that as many times as it takes to get it into your brain. over the long run you are not going to make money on them, as a trend they devalue an astounding rate. if you are really concerned about getting your money's worth, stay a few years behind the curve and video games are a bargain.[/QUOTE]
that's only if you have bad taste in games. I'd say that 80% of all the games I've ever had have quadrupled in price. Now I'm pissed cause I learned that MUSHA genesis game is now 150 bucks after I sold it a long time ago.

seeing as how Konami's cust support on this issue is retarded, will we be able to play with a US Gameid with the EU d/led version of the beta?

[quote name='sparklecopy']that's only if you have bad taste in games. I'd say that 80% of all the games I've ever had have quadrupled in price. Now I'm pissed cause I learned that MUSHA genesis game is now 150 bucks after I sold it a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

I call BS. that is nonsense, 80%? quadrupled? hardly any games are worth 4X their retail price. if that's true you have not bought very many games. tons of awesome games are not worth much money because it just so happens that they print lots of copies of good games, imagine that. there is always the exception, but overall the trend is obvious.

I think you have to hold Select in to voice chat......... grumble grumble
[quote name='zoglog']
seeing as how Konami's cust support on this issue is retarded, will we be able to play with a US Gameid with the EU d/led version of the beta?[/QUOTE]I've no doubt we can.

The betas are region locked. Apparently, the beta starts at 0:00 CEST...whenever that is. But that's according to the Japanese site.

[quote name='sparklecopy']Now I'm pissed cause I learned that MUSHA genesis game is now 150 bucks after I sold it a long time ago.[/quote]That is wayyyyyy overestimating the price of that game. I bought it for $45 on eStarland not too long ago. You can get it on eBay for $40.

Beta is region locked, but if I'm on my US account, and login with my US made Konami ID, I should be playing with the rest of you even though I got the beta downloaded from EU.

If not, I will be angry as I gave away my 12 digit code that Konami finally sent me 5 days later........

[quote name='KingBroly']The betas are region locked. Apparently, the beta starts at 0:00 CEST...whenever that is. But that's according to the Japanese site.[/quote]
CEST == Central European Summer Time, UTC +2.
Should be 6pm Eastern.

[quote name='KingBroly']You know...I'm honestly expecting Konami to have this game running on 56k servers.

That SOP system seems extremely complex. Unique, but complex.[/quote]
Seems fairly simple enough. Link to nearby teammates (press triangle) to be able to see where they are and what they're doing (with the help of icons) or seeing. If you die, you lose the link and must relink again. You can also hack into the opposing teams SOP if you grab one of them and scan them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Seems fairly simple enough. Link to nearby teammates (press triangle) to be able to see where they are and what they're doing (with the help of icons) or seeing. If you die, you lose the link and must relink again. You can also hack into the opposing teams SOP if you grab one of them and scan them.[/quote]

At least there's now a point to my constant saluting :)

the fucking update doesn't download. i tried http it gets an error and p2p gets me speeds at .0003 and then hits 0. WTF how do i fix this or is it konami servers?

So my beta is about 8 percent done downloading. Did everyone else get super slow download speeds, or did I just get in really late and now it's extremely clogged?

[quote name='prmononoke']So my beta is about 8 percent done downloading. Did everyone else get super slow download speeds, or did I just get in really late and now it's extremely clogged?[/quote]

Took me about an hour to download the beta, about 4 hours to download the update.

[quote name='prmononoke']So my beta is about 8 percent done downloading. Did everyone else get super slow download speeds, or did I just get in really late and now it's extremely clogged?[/QUOTE]

No, it's been slow pretty much the whole time.

The beta took me less than an hour and the update was maybe an hour and a half, but that's probably because I did that on Wednesday before it was officially supposed to be out.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so who's staying up tonight for a few games?[/quote]

How early do you go to bed?;) It starts at 6pm Eastern.:lol:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']6pm today? or tomorrow?[/quote]
Today. It starts 04/21/08 0:00 CEST which is 04/20/08 18:00 EDT.
[quote name='KingBroly']if the rumors are true, today.[/quote]
It's right here on the official MGO site. Unless they want to be mean and lock the 0:00 CEST start for the EU region.

[quote name='KingBroly']Took me about an hour to download the beta, about 4 hours to download the update.[/quote]

Ugh. I have probably had my PS3 on for about ten hours or so, at least, with the beta downloading. I want it to be done tonight!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']note: i read the manual and it does seem clans can be made. who is going to create the CAG clan?[/quote]

It's a Race to Level 2 or 5 hours of gameplay. Whatever comes later.

bread's done
Back