Metal Gear Solid: EC @ Amazon - $30 shipped

Yeah... I was just about to say they still have it sitting on the shelf around the corner from me. Not exactly a deal getting it for the same price it's always been...

I bought this set from Gamestop a few months ago and quickly realized I had too many games to ever backtrack through these, so I took them in to trade them for credit. The GS employee says to me, "We'll take MGS2 and MGS3, but we don't take PS1 games." How ridiculous is that? I was presenting it as the entire set almost completely untouched.

[quote name='javeryh']What is in there? MGS for PSX and MGS2 and 3 for PS2?[/QUOTE]
MGS, MSG2:S, and only the first disc of MGS3:S.

[quote name='Pureshooter']I bought this set from Gamestop a few months ago and quickly realized I had too many games to ever backtrack through these, so I took them in to trade them for credit. The GS employee says to me, "We'll take MGS2 and MGS3, but we don't take PS1 games." How ridiculous is that? I was presenting it as the entire set almost completely untouched.[/quote]

The ridiculous part is that you returned such an incredible series. Without even touching it.

[quote name='Thrinn']MGS, MSG2:S, and only the first disc of MGS3:S.[/quote]

yes. To be clear, the second disk of MGS3:S was all bonus content-- an online game (probably why it was removed; the servers are dead now), secret theatre, the MSX games, and some other stuff. You can play the entire game from beginning to end on disk 1.

Only 500 left in stock! :)

If I add them all to my cart (so that nobody else can get one!), my cart shows this:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]subtotal = [/SIZE][/FONT] $249,995.00

I may have to pull the trigger on this.

[quote name='gaxur']The ridiculous part is that you returned such an incredible series. Without even touching it. [/quote]

True. I wish I had more time, but I've got a serious backlog as it is.

[quote name='Thrinn']MGS, MSG2:S, and only the first disc of MGS3:S.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Not that bad deal then. 10$ each ?!

[quote name='Masterkyo']EB/GS still have it on sale for $20 till May 3 :)[/quote]

Not true. They removed it from the Gamersday sale before it even began. It's still $30 at GS/EB.

[quote name='LedZep1']For all of you (like myself) who missed out on buying this game earlier, can't find it at any local stores & doesn't want to pay over $40 on unreliable websites
344.jpg
- Amazon has it back in stock for $30 shipped if you opt for the 'Super Saver Shipping'.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001383L36[/quote]
Thanks LedZep Great Find!:bouncy:

Thanks for pointing this out, OP. These are not readily available. Just doing a quick search, you cannot order it from GS.com, Newegg, or Buy. And yeah, this was never part of the Game Days sale.

Yeah, I understand that MSRP isn't really a deal, sorry to discourage some of you who hoped it would be under $30; but the way I see it, because it seems that this game has been discontinued - this is probably the best deal you'll find online if, of course, you can't find it at any nearby stores.

The real CAGs got it when it was $15 at amazon for black friday, like I did. Nanner nanner nanner. Sorry, couldn't resist. :cool:

I think what we really need is a new board for
"Hard to Find/Rare games/systems/accessories in stock here..."
it's more for collectors and hunters than deal seekers. I'm a bit of both depending on the game.

Go to any K-Mart in the nation, I'm sure it's still in stock. They have everything hard to find at K-Mart since no one goes there.

[quote name='expane']I think what we really need is a new board for
"Hard to Find/Rare games/systems/accessories in stock here..."
it's more for collectors and hunters than deal seekers. I'm a bit of both depending on the game.[/quote]

I would agree with that.

I hated the third one, but loved 1 and 2 (and IMO the PS1 version of 1 is superior to he Gamecube remake).

Yeah, if you haven't played these games I can't believe you'd sell them! Hmm...I'm not sure how I'd rank the Solid series in order. Probably 1 or 4 first, then 2, then 3 dead last, but I'm not quite sure. I liked the radar better in 1/2 than 4, and it was totally removed from 3. But on the other hand there's more stuff you can do in 4 (along with it looking 50 bajillion times better).

[quote name='gaxur']The ridiculous part is that you returned such an incredible series. Without even touching it.

yes. To be clear, the second disk of MGS3:S was all bonus content-- an online game (probably why it was removed; the servers are dead now), secret theatre, the MSX games, and some other stuff. You can play the entire game from beginning to end on disk 1.[/QUOTE]
I just played this "bonus content" and I'd argue that Subsistence is as much Metal Gear 1 & 2 for the PS2 as it is Metal Gear: Solid 3. It's really a travesty that Konami silently gimped Subsistence in this release.

Unrelated, the Metal Gear: Solid Sony-licensed amaray case in this collection is one of a kind, so I recommend keeping it in good shape. :)

[quote name='Gamelore']I just played this "bonus content" and I'd argue that Subsistence is as much Metal Gear 1 & 2 for the PS2 as it is Metal Gear: Solid 3. It's really a travesty that Konami silently gimped Subsistence in this release.[/quote]

For $30, I don't think you can really get annoyed at Konami for not including the second disc. If they did, they would have had to rework the disc and removed MGO. You know if they released a game with a dead online feature, people would have complained, even if they plastered it everyone on the box and the game case.

[quote name='scottman']The real CAGs got it when it was $15 at amazon for black friday, like I did. Nanner nanner nanner. Sorry, couldn't resist. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but the real gamers played all these games years ago.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I would agree with that.[/QUOTE]

I don't. There's not that much stuff that pops up, and when it does, it's a deal by virtue of being rare. I don't want to have to check a second forum for deals, and don't want a forum clutter with "eBay" type deals either, if it turned into that :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']I hated the third one, but loved 1 and 2 (and IMO the PS1 version of 1 is superior to he Gamecube remake).

Yeah, if you haven't played these games I can't believe you'd sell them! Hmm...I'm not sure how I'd rank the Solid series in order. Probably 1 or 4 first, then 2, then 3 dead last, but I'm not quite sure. I liked the radar better in 1/2 than 4, and it was totally removed from 3. But on the other hand there's more stuff you can do in 4 (along with it looking 50 bajillion times better).[/quote]

dude i totally disagree. I would rank MGS: 3,4,1,2 as the best.

The reason why I think 3 is the best:
I like 3 the most because of the love between Eva and Big Boss. The part where snake got his ass kicked and tortured by Volgin and getting shot in the eye by ocelot was really epic. I'll never forget about that.

I would never rank the main MGS games, personally. I enjoyed them all equally. Now, Subsistence, that's another story. I don't even know how many hours I sank into MGO with that. I played a lot of the MGS4 MGO, but I don't know, it just got boring after awhile. I also sank a lot of time into Ac!d 2, for some reason.

Wolfpup, MGS3 DOES have various sorts of radars. They're not nearly as useful as they were in previous iterations, but it is there. And as much of a help as it is, putting the soliton into 3 would've been a huge mistake.

To anyone that has played this collection on their ps2...When this game was released , I read somewhere on the web, that to save on Metal Gear Solid, it had to be on an original ps1 memory card.That the ps2 memory card could not save the game, was that true?I finished the game back in the day years ago, but would like to replay it on my ps2.Thanks for the info!

[quote name='hcamacho']To anyone that has played this collection on their ps2...When this game was released , I read somewhere on the web, that to save on Metal Gear Solid, it had to be on an original ps1 memory card.That the ps2 memory card could not save the game, was that true?I finished the game back in the day years ago, but would like to replay it on my ps2.Thanks for the info![/quote]

I can't verify that rumor but I read the same thing.

Last week the Amazon price for this was $34. Amazon always plays these pricing games with people.

[quote name='ronin47']I can't verify that rumor but I read the same thing.

Last week the Amazon price for this was $34. Amazon always plays these pricing games with people.[/QUOTE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------
Metal Gear Solid
-----------------------

What version is this?
This is the original PlayStation version. This is not Twin Snakes. This is not Integral. This does not have VR Missions packaged with it.

Was it ported to PS2?
No. This is still a 2-disc PlayStation game. That means you will need a PS1 memory card to save unless you are playing this on a PS3.

Just got back from gamefaqs....and that stupid konami, how come I need the original ps1 memory card?Unless I have a ps3 I can not save?WTF, was that konami?

[quote name='hcamacho']Just got back from gamefaqs....and that stupid konami, how come I need the original ps1 memory card?Unless I have a ps3 I can not save?WTF, was that konami?[/QUOTE] It was Sony. The way the PS2 was designed, PS1 games could only be saved directly to PS1 cards. MGS1 has no idea how to interpret the data structure of a PS2 memory card since the PS2 was designed after that game was. Even on the PS3 you have to make a virtual PS1 memory card in order to save a MGS1 game.

[quote name='Thrinn']It was Sony. The way the PS2 was designed, PS1 games could only be saved directly to PS1 cards. MGS1 has no idea how to interpret the data structure of a PS2 memory card since the PS2 was designed after that game was. Even on the PS3 you have to make a virtual PS1 memory card in order to save a MGS1 game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured that out, after posting that....How dumb, Sony was......

[quote name='hcamacho']Yeah, I figured that out, after posting that....How dumb, Sony was......[/QUOTE]
It was simply a cost cutting measure. The PS2 actually contains the PS1 CPU chip. When you play PS1 games on your PS2, the PS2 specific portion of the hardware basically shut off and the sole PS1 chip takes over. Therefore you lose the ability to access PS2 cards when playing a PS1 game.

Sure, the PS3 can handle your PS1 save files, but just look at the price of the system. Something as trivial as that may not seem like it would cost Sony a whole lot of money. However, when you step back and look at all the features Sony tried to shoehorn into the PS3 you can begin to see why the system costs so much.

Basically Sony has to decide where to draw the line. Do they want to give you more features or lower cost on a system. For the PS2 they chose cost over features. They took the opposite approach for the PS3 and look where they are now.

I have never played any of these 3 games. Well, maybe I rented the first years ago. So I ordered it. I'm excited to finally try them. And I hope some big fans are jealous that I get to play these classics for the first time.
I know when I hear someone get's to play OOT of MM for the first time, i'm jealous.

[quote name='gamerpro4000']dude i totally disagree. I would rank MGS: 3,4,1,2 as the best.

The reason why I think 3 is the best:
I like 3 the most because of the love between Eva and Big Boss. The part where snake got his ass kicked and tortured by Volgin and getting shot in the eye by ocelot was really epic. I'll never forget about that.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gaxur']Wolfpup, MGS3 DOES have various sorts of radars. They're not nearly as useful as they were in previous iterations, but it is there. And as much of a help as it is, putting the soliton into 3 would've been a huge mistake.[/QUOTE]

I can't play 3. IMO it's completely broken. I mean there's a lot of games that are too hard, but something's really wrong if I loved 1, 2, and 4 and could play all of them easily, but can barely get anywhere in the third one.

[quote name='hcamacho']Yeah, I figured that out, after posting that....How dumb, Sony was......[/QUOTE]

It's the same situation as on the Wii (except not as bad). Would have had to have a more sophisticated setup to be able to save to anything but PS1 memory cards.

Actually...hmm...the easiest thing might have been to let you do virtual PS1 memory cards on a PS2 memory card, as you ca non the PS3. That would still be a lot harder to do than just letting it talk directly to PS1 cards though.

PS2 emulator? I didn't know there was one. Is there some weird catch with it? I'd have an excuse to buy more PS2 games if I could play them....uh...in more locations shall we say? :D

EDIT: Oh, it's on of those nonsensical "have to have a BIOS" things. Grr...make your own BIOS guys! That would have been so cool to get to play PS2 games on my PC.

bread's done
Back