Metal Gear Solid Sucks. All of them. All along.

[quote name='Mufasa']I figured there would at least be one pic of a real women by the time this thing got to 3 pages, I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

[quote name='Mufasa']I figured there would at least be one pic of a real women by the time this thing got to 3 pages, I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

Here you go. Pay it forward.

oldlady.jpg

I've had fun with the 3 main MGS games but portable ops was a bit of a let down due to it's controls.

The story gets pretty silly though, when I do multiple playthroughs, I generally skip all the cutscenes except the ones where stuff's blowing up.

[quote name='Chacrana']That ain't right.[/QUOTE]

it's just a simpsons quote that says "no shit" to his comment ;)

[quote name='Mufasa']Welcome to life nerds[/QUOTE]

Wait, let me guess: that's your girlfriend, but she totally lives in Canada.

EDIT: Also, thanks.

[quote name='guinaevere']
  1. Chac, put a sweater on.
  2. Is this thread even worth bothering with, or should I just close it?
[/QUOTE]

Close it. This threadis the kind of flamebait you'd see on IGN or Gamespot.

And Snake Eater is my favourite of the 3 games.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Close it. This threadis the kind of flamebait you'd see on IGN or Gamespot.
[/QUOTE]

THIS IS FALSE RESULT.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Close it. This threadis the kind of flamebait you'd see on IGN or Gamespot.

And Snake Eater is my favourite of the 3 games.[/quote]

STFUGTFOGOEATPUPPY!

I couldn't get into MGS2. I really need to finish it some day. MGS 3 was fun and I beat that and it was cool. I really liked the first one. I used to be able to do speed runs through it. I love that game!

[quote name='Mufasa']Welcome to life nerds

i156838_shaylaren.gif
[/QUOTE]

did someone say they hated real women or something? :lol:

also, you're posting on a video game message board.
psst, you're a nerd too. even if you have athletes in your sig.

[quote name='Chacrana']Eh, whatever:

justfortrq.jpg
[/quote]

What the hell happened to her arms? Accident with farm machinery?

[quote name='Apossum']did someone say they hated real women or something? :lol:

also, you're posting on a video game message board.
psst, you're a nerd too. even if you have athletes in your sig.
[/quote]

I know I'm somewhat of a nerd, but I'm not an anime nerd, I'm just trying to help you guys out

[quote name='E_G_Man']What the hell happened to her arms? Accident with farm machinery?[/QUOTE]

They are clearly being used to hold down her mildly-noticeable tittage.

Either way, I'd like to Burst on that Angel.

2 points to whoever understands that reference and has something amusing to say in response. Perhaps more pics instead of 2 points.

I don't know if you are being honest, or troll-baiting but here it goes:

Okay, I gotta give you some props for being honest- but I disagree for the most-part.

MG was solid good game, not fantastic but good. I remeber thinking the box-art was the coolest I had ever seen.
MGS2 great IMHO
MGS3 meh, pretty then- but still meh.
Haven't played Portable Ops so refraining from comment.

You can't deny it's been an incredibly successful franchise.
It's like saying all the Star Trek movies suck, when in reality most are just average but you love the characters so the fan base is rabid. (FWIW Khan owns.)

Star Trek movies do suck. Either the acting is awful, or everything is awful. Usually the latter.

You have lessened the incentive for more tits.

I didn't skim down anywhere past the first page, but it looks like this turned into a half-naked anime girl thread along the way.

The MGS series is pretty good, but none of its titles are my favorite games. I never go back to play any of the old ones.

[quote name='Mufasa']I know I'm somewhat of a nerd, but I'm not an anime nerd, I'm just trying to help you guys out[/quote]

Somewhat of a nerd? Get over yourself. All the sports super stars can't save you from nerddom! Not Cory Lidle, not Lyle Alzado, or even Dale Enhardt Sr.!

[quote name='Kendal']Somewhat of a nerd? Get over yourself. All the sports super stars can't save you from nerddom! Not Cory Lidle, not Lyle Alzado, or even Dale Enhardt Sr.![/quote]

All of those dead guys that you named were not sports superstars, dale earnhart didn't even participate in a sport

[quote name='fathamburger']Lock the thread if everyone's just going to say "piss off" and discuss chacrana's boobies rofl[/QUOTE]

fathamburger, we'd take you more seriously if your original post wasn't reeks of troll shit.

[quote name='Chacrana']
2 points to whoever understands that reference and has something amusing to say in response. Perhaps more pics instead of 2 points.[/QUOTE]

Chacrana, is she the chick from Burst Angel with black hair instead of red hair?

[quote name='Slayzz']fathamburger, we'd take you more seriously if your original post wasn't reeks of troll shit.

Chacrana, is she the chick from Burst Angel with black hair instead of red hair?[/QUOTE]

No. Nothing to do with Burst Angel. I just wanted somebody to say Burst Angel so I could post this more subtle pic that won't offend the gaylords as much:

drinkthatwinebitchirapeyoulater.jpg

OOHHHHHHRRRAAAWWWWWUUUUUHHHHHHH. DON'T YOU LOVE DAT METAL GEAR!?!?!

[quote name='Mufasa']All of those dead guys that you named were not sports superstars, dale earnhart didn't even participate in a sport[/quote]
Now you are just being a cunt. I am actually surprised you caught on to the fact they were all dead. Just because you don't like racing, doesn't mean it isn't a sport. You are super nerd now.

I never was trolling, it was an honest reappraisal of something that I've considered myself a fan of all these years. Portable Ops was the first Metal Gear game that I'd actually played through in 3+ years and it just made me think "holy crap, why am I a fan of these, the gameplay has stunk all this time".

I'm still in for 4 just because its the last hurrah of the series, I want to see how it wraps up and maybe they can fix the controls to actually deliver non frustrating and repetitive gameplay to go out with a bang. However if its not the last after all and its just going to go on forever with "more of this shit", screw it.

[quote name='Chacrana']They are clearly being used to hold down her mildly-noticeable tittage.

Either way, I'd like to Burst on that Angel.

2 points to whoever understands that reference and has something amusing to say in response. Perhaps more pics instead of 2 points.[/quote]

Ahh now I see her hands..... before I thought she just had nubs for arms....

I like how you go on about the camera being flawed and then say "the gameplay sucks" without backing your statement up.

Not to mention you haven't even given MGS3 a chance (the best game in the series, in my opinion) and played the PC port of MGS2 (of course the controls are going to suck!)

And Portable OPs is very different from the rest of the games in the series, so for you to play that and then start thinking about how the other games suck makes no sense to me.

I will try to bring this back to Metal Gear Solid, because I partially agree with the original poster. I have posted similar comments before about the series.

I played the original Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 and the remake on the gamecube. I enjoyed them but I never held them in as high esteem as most gamers.

Then I played Metal Gear Solid 2. I guess I will never understand why this series is so highly regarded. The story was a complete mess. I think the problem is the story started out with a few small twists, but each twist had to trounce the prior, and eventually it just got out of hand. Eventually you get a half hour cutscene about how nothing you played was real and the whole world is just a facade. It would be okay if the writers were subtle, but it took half hour cutscenes to get the story across. I fell asleep during one of the final cutscenes, it was just too long.

This brings us to the actual cutscenes. While I accepted cutscenes during the PS1 era, the use of cutscenes in games today is just lazy game design in my opinion. Developers should incorporate the story in the actual game. Games really need to get over their movie envy, and use the interactive medium to convey the story, rather than using movies to tell the story. I cringe every time I hear the word cinematic used to describe a game. I don’t want to watch a 20 minute cutscene, where I am not playing the game, it completely takes me out of the experience. This is especially apparent when I watch Snake do amazing moves in the cutscenes, none of which I can actually perform with the clunky, convoluted controls in the game. Nice back flip Snake, how do I pull that move off in the game? Oh I can’t….those moves are only for the cutscenes.

I’m actually somewhat interested in MGS4 because it looks like they have finally updated the controls to be more intuitive. It’s funny, I listened to a recent 1up yours podcast where they talked to one of the MGS4 developers, and they kept saying how awful and confusing the control scheme was on the previous MGS games, and how they had completely revamped the controls for MGS4. Yet the game got a 10, how does a game with awful controls get a 10?

I’m trying to get through MGS3 Subsistence right now, mainly because everyone raves about it, but 4 hours in, and I don’t see the appeal yet. I still feel the controls need work. But I will eventually play through the game, since the end boss fight is so highly regarded.

msdmoney, the things you hate is what I love about the MGS series. I love the cutscenes and the characters. I don't have any problem with the controls.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. One man's junk is another man's treasure right?

I loved MGS1 and the remake of MGS1 TTS. I also loved MGS3 and feel it is the best MGS thus far. I didn't like MGS2 at all, nor do I like PO. Of course you can't really compare PO to the other MGS games since it is a lot different then the main games IMO. MGS2 was just a mess story wise, even today there is some stuff I still don't know what the fuck was going on. If I cared enough to replay it I could probably figure it out, but I don't care enough about MGS2 to do so. MGS2 is in the same boat for me as DMC2, as they were both suppose to be so great, and both ended up being terrible IMO.

i remember when the first metal gear solid demo came out on some sony ps1 demo variety pack (from pizza hut or something?). i was 12 and a little pussy and was sort of put off by the violence.

cut to two years later, i bought a bootleg version in taiwan and played with a mod chip. i now own legit copies of mgs1, 2, 3, substance, document of 2, subsistence, saga. i think from the metal gear solid arc, i'm only lacking the psp endeavors.

with that said, i must admit that the gameplay itself is probably not what i like best about mgs. i've played mgs1 through maybe 4 times. mgs2, only twice. and mgs3? only once! so gameplay itself is not that great to me. story? i think a bit too melodramatic and poopoo. 2's incessant ramblings and philosophical waxing somewhat turned me off, though i enjoyed the game otherwise (i dont have a problem with raiden, either).

so what is it that draws me to mgs? it think it's the characters. yeah they're a little fruity and emo and weird. but i fuckin' love it! i don't like long droning monologue cutscenes, but i do appreciate the characters quite a bit. snake's raspy voice and otacon's foppish...otakuness sum up the vivid characterizations which make the characters really very charming to me, and i want to find out what happens to them in the end, despite whatever silly things they might say or do along the way.

[quote name='guinaevere']It's very funny that you, with the MGS2 avatar is telling me to stay away from another MGS game.[/quote]
i was particularly mentioning MGS3. if you played the first two, you'll know what i mean. they took the word "complicated" to another level.

The camera ruins a lot of gameplay that's why but it's not the only culprit. Take the crouch and prone controls, you can't move when crouching, you go prone in the same button as well as rolling. It doesn't take a genius to see that you can easily go into the wrong position and it's a pain in the ass to switch. If you're already crouching, you have to stand up so you can roll again, but make sure you're pressing in a direction or you'l probably crouch or go prone again. This makes being mobile and dodge rolling in high pitched boss battles especially impractical. There's also the targeting, in Portable Ops I got nailed by the Eliza boss a billion times all because it was taking me to many button presses just to move or the camera decided to point me in the wrong direction. You have two modes when equipping the rocket launcher, and neither of which you can run in. There is the mode of just equipping which already limits your visibility but you can't really shoot in this mode, then theres the zoom which you can but then in order to reload you have to switch back to the previous mode and then to move you have to unequip and to shoot again equip, go to zoom, reload etc etc.

It's no coincidence why many boss battles in MGS, it's most effective to just sit there and get wailed on and drip feed yourself med kits because trying to move and do tactical aiming like in other games is too much of a hassle. I had to think if it was just portable ops but from my memory with other boss battles in the series it's been mostly the same. Getting nailed constantly while fighting with the controls. MGS does have Psycho Mantis and The End battles that are original I'll give it that though. Whenever I was fighting Null in Portable Ops I just gave up on whatever you were supposed to do, running aorund and aiming with the "lock on target" constantly pointing me in the wrong direciton and manual aiming just being rubbish I said fuck it. I got prone and just kept shooting him in the feet over and over with the M63. My rate of fire was better than his standing over shooting me. It was retarded and I didn't even have to use one medkit.

But when's all's said and done, I've changed my mind MGS rocks ;) http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=q9m3NPVNqbg

[quote name='dmaul1114']I liked the first one ok, but couldn't get into the second one.

I just have no patience for stealth-oriented games. I hate pussy-footing around, more of a shoot the shit out of everything in sight type of gamer.[/QUOTE]

I've mentioned in the past too how I have seemed to fall out of love with the MGS series. I played through the first one a few times and thought it was amazing. I got the demo of MGS2 and didn't even play through it. I didn't game for awhile after that. I now have MGS2 and MGS3 Subsistence and have only played a bit of 2. The controls definitely feel antiquated now.

I don't seem to have the patience for stealth-oriented games now either. I also don't always have a lot of time to play a game and something like MGS were the cutscenes go on forever gets pretty annoying pretty quickly.

I really want to try to play through 2 and 3 because I loved 1 so much but I fear its just going to feel like work rather than be fun.

No boobies on this page. Chac must fix.

Also, I haven't played MGS2/3, but I have heard good things about them, and not from game reviewers, gasp! It seems to me that OP was just sad with his playthrough of Portable Ops. But then again, who wouldn't be sad after that?

All I want to know is....why can't Hideo Kojima take some time away from Solid Snake and give some time to Gillian Seed....thats all I'm thinking...

[quote name='Mr. Beef']No boobies on this page. Chac must fix.

Also, I haven't played MGS2/3, but I have heard good things about them, and not from game reviewers, gasp! It seems to me that OP was just sad with his playthrough of Portable Ops. But then again, who wouldn't be sad after that?[/QUOTE]

Fixin' the no pic with some bitch fixin' dat hair:
moarbewbs.jpg

As for Metal Gear... anyone like the Acid games? I thought they were decent when I played them, especially the second one, but they're definitely not something I could imagine playing through a second time. They're just too slow paced and not interesting or imaginative enough to be all that worthwhile.

I'm surprised this thread is still going on especially since its been threadjacked on page 1.

How funny life is ......

[quote name='Chacrana']Either way, I'd like to Burst on that Angel.

2 points to whoever understands that reference and has something amusing to say in response. Perhaps more pics instead of 2 points.[/QUOTE]

justfortrq.jpg
You see the Blue? That's where I'd put my Submarine.

The best I could do.

[quote name='guinaevere']After MGS & MGS2, just about the only thing I liked about the games was the gameplay. I hate melodramatic characters who drone one and on. I dislike the idiotic storylines.

Still haven't played Snake Eater.

...sometimes I have no idea how to respond to the stuff that's said around here.[/quote]

MGS3 was my favorite of all of them.

I felt that the story were a lot less off the wall than the other games, and a lot more fun to follow. I thought it was well worth a purchase, Gwen -- so much so that I bought it twice: Snake Eater first, then subsistence for the online and bonus features (Metal Gear 1 and 2 being the best -- first time the real versions of the games were released in the USA).

MGS3 has THE BEST ending of any game I've played in many, many years.

bread's done
Back