Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

[quote name='metaly']Don't get discouraged if you get spotted and killed a ton during the first couple hours. Just stick with it, they're great games.[/quote]

exactly. first time i ever played, it took me like 3 or 4 hrs just to learn how the soldiers react and the best ways to deal with them.

it's all about stealth. with that being said, avoid enemies as much as possible. if you don't have to stun/kill/distract them, then don't. stay clear if they're not in your way. oh and you're not rambo. stormin' the front door and unloading all your ammo is NOT a good idea.

[quote name='soccerstud652']How do you save in MGS? I do have the PS1 memory card.[/quote]

using your codec, call mei ling. her frequency is....140.96? haha why do i still remember that?

[quote name='soccerstud652']How do you save in MGS? I do have the PS1 memory card.[/quote]
You bring up the young japanese chick (it's been a while, I think that's her) on your CODEC and she asks you if you want to save.

I'm somewhat pissed that there is no MG or MG2 included. I know it may not be essential, but for fucks sake, how hard can it be to add those to the disk? I'm sure the footprint is minimal at best .... I'm just torked that I now have to hunt down a copy of Subsistance ONLY for MG and MG2 which is a fucking waste.

Has it been verified there is no mg1/2 included? I am back@ work so I can't check... But would be interested in knowing... I wouldn't see why not...

I am really enjoying this, it is a unique experience. Reminds me of Mission Impossible for N64, just much much better. The graphics are great for a PS1 game.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Damn, I had a 50/50 shot .... I should have just said "Asian".[/quote]

Yeah, 50/50, there are only two countries in Asia after all.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Damn, I had a 50/50 shot .... I should have just said "Asian".[/QUOTE]

50/50 shot?! Are you saying that there are only two countries in Asia? Lol

*Edit: Espy605 beat me to the line. I had a 50/50 shot at posting first and blew it.

[quote name='espy605']Yeah, 50/50, there are only two countries in Asia after all.[/quote]
OR I was choosing between Chinese and Japanese .... good critical analysis though.

Man, kind of a bummer for some people about MG 1 and 2 not being there. I'm glad I found MGS3 LE back when it first came out and happier that I didn't sell it for this pack. Still, the three main games at $30 is quite the bargain. The only Metal Gear Solid game I haven't played several times over is the Gamecube port, this thread makes me want to bust it out.

I'm almost positive MG1 and MG2 aren't on this. When you boot up the MGS3 disc, it says on the main menu "Disc 1: Subsistence" which should confirm this disc is taken directly from the Subsistence set from 2006. The Disc 2 that would've included those games isn't in this Essential Collection.

This set is perfect for me though. I don't think I'd spend more than 10 minutes messing around with the old 2D MG games lol. Only annoying thing is you have to have a PS1 memory card to save MGS1. Guess I'll just save this for the summer when I get a PS3.

Ok good, it is Substance and Subsistence. When it just said Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 I got worried for a second. Shame it doesn't have disc 2 and I sold my Subsistence in anticipation for this. Guess I have to go hunt that down again.

Jeez people, playing MG1 and 2 is nice on a system, but if you have a PC (which you do) just emulate it (um, legally, of course, by dumping your own copy ;) ). They're just practically begging for it after not putting it on here to buy.

[quote name='Samus']Jeez people, playing MG1 and 2 is nice on a system, but if you have a PC (which you do) just emulate it (um, legally, of course, by dumping your own copy ;) ). They're just practically begging for it after not putting it on here to buy.[/QUOTE]

some people break out in sweaty nerd rash if archaic MSX games aren't included in their $30 collection that already includes 3 current classics.

[quote name='espy605']What happened to casting theater in Substance?[/quote]

It should be in the Special menu. If memory serves, you have to finish both chapters though.

[quote name='Shady Hombre']It should be in the Special menu. If memory serves, you have to finish both chapters though.[/quote]

Hmm, too bad my SOL save doesn't work with it.

I am selling my original copies, sold MGS2 Substance for just about as much as I paid for the collection. I am keeping disc 2 of MGS3 Subsistance. That way I have new are, but all the goodies!

some people break out in sweaty nerd rash if archaic MSX games aren't included in their $30 collection that already includes 3 current classics.

For the record, one of those 'archaic' MSX games was previously unavailable and localized for the release of 'Persistence.' Apart from those two 'archaic' games, Persistence has a wealth of additional features, including Snake Theater, an updated maps for Snake vs. Monkey, Duel Mode, and the (admittedly now useless) online modes.

I'm lucky I have both discs, but for those gamers who missed out the first time, the exclusion of that disc is kind of a disappointment and really doesn't make any sense.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go put some Gold Bond Powder on my 'sweaty nerd rash.'

I was on the fence about this one, but I'd rather have the whole enchilada. No extras = No sale for me, "sweaty nerd rash" or not. The addition of cool extras is what really pushed my interest in Subsistence in the first place.

Seems like those games would make excellent PSN downloads. I wonder if Konami will ever consider it.

Meanwhile, enjoy your Goldbond!

[quote name='Starkraving']For the record, one of those 'archaic' MSX games was previously unavailable and localized for the release of 'Persistence.' Apart from those two 'archaic' games, Persistence has a wealth of additional features, including Snake Theater, an updated maps for Snake vs. Monkey, Duel Mode, and the (admittedly now useless) online modes.

I'm lucky I have both discs, but for those gamers who missed out the first time, the exclusion of that disc is kind of a disappointment and really doesn't make any sense.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go put some Gold Bond Powder on my 'sweaty nerd rash.'[/quote]

[quote name='Furashu']i have a ps3 and i want to buy this set, do virtual memory cards on the ps3 work for gamesaves for MGS1?[/quote]

Yup, did this last night on my 80GB.

[quote name='dfo']Seems like those games would make excellent PSN downloads. I wonder if Konami will ever consider it.[/QUOTE]

Well, Konami is pretty active in the DD game scene, w/ Castlevania, TMNT, and others on XBL, and Castlevania (and Castlevania Chronicles coming) on PSN. I'd put it up as a "possible, but not likely."

Have hope, but don't fool yourselves, in other words.

Apossum, I typically, agree with your sardonic view of the universe, but Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is fuckin' *FA-BU*. Everyone deserves to play it, not just numbskulls who would pay $250+ for an MSX copy on eBay.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Apossum, I typically, agree with your sardonic view of the universe, but Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is fuckin' *FA-BU*. Everyone deserves to play it, not just numbskulls who would pay $250+ for an MSX copy on eBay.[/QUOTE]
QFT.

MG2 has held up very well. I played it when I first got Subsistance and was shocked how much it played like MGS1.

I got my copy in the mail today from Amazon. 2 and 3 don't say 'Substance' and 'Subsistence' on the spines, but the color of the '2' and '3' of the games is the color of the rerelease versions.

Can anyone who's opened this up and played it confirm that they are the Substance and Subsistence versions? Many thanks.

[quote name='Puffa469']I got my copy in the mail today from Amazon. 2 and 3 don't say 'Substance' and 'Subsistence' on the spines, but the color of the '2' and '3' of the games is the color of the rerelease versions.

Can anyone who's opened this up and played it confirm that they are the Substance and Subsistence versions? Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

I got mine from Amazon yesterday. I started playing MGS1, but haven't tried the other two.

IGN's review definitely says it is the substance and subsistence versions.

It's the Substance and Subsistence versions for sure.

The skateboarding in Substance is so lame and awesome at the same time.

I haven't tried it yet, but I hope my save from the previous release of MGS2: Substance will work with the MGS2: S in the Essentials Collection. I was pissed when my save from the original Sons of Liberty was not recognized by Substance! :bomb:

omg played some MGS today for the first time in FOREVER. brought so many memories back. Totally prefer the older grittier version to Twin Snake, any day.

[quote name='AshesofWake']omg played some MGS today for the first time in FOREVER. brought so many memories back. Totally prefer the older grittier version to Twin Snake, any day.[/quote]
I totally agree, initially I was put off (playing it on a 52" DLP) by the graphics, but then I realized how monumental the character models and animations were. I'm about 2 hours into the original MGS (going up against Vulcan Raven) and I just couldn't put it down.

This set inspired me to pick up Twin Snakes again.

I actually played the original and TS on two video channels simultaneously for fun.

Everyone hates TS I know, but it really plays much better.

[quote name='willardhaven']This set inspired me to pick up Twin Snakes again.

I actually played the original and TS on two video channels simultaneously for fun.

Everyone hates TS I know, but it really plays much better.[/quote]

I love Twin Snakes. It really gets more flak than it deserves. Yeah Hayter's voice is annoying, but the story is so good a wounded moose could perform it and I would still enjoy it! MGS 1 is one of my all time favorite games. In either form, I enjoy it.

I am going to start playing these tomorrow and hopefully finish them next week.

[quote name='Kendal']I love Twin Snakes. It really gets more flak than it deserves. Yeah Hayter's voice is annoying, but the story is so good a wounded moose could perform it and I would still enjoy it! MGS 1 is one of my all time favorite games. In either form, I enjoy it.

I am going to start playing these tomorrow and hopefully finish them next week.[/quote]I agree. Twin Snakes is equally enjoyable for me. The AI is brutal, which makes it quite different from MGS. Also having some of the gameplay elements from MGS2 adds to its own identity.

That being said, I finished MGS1 from the collection and am a few hours into 2. I'm trying to pay close attention to the story this time, so I can be nice and refreshed by the time MGS4 rolls around.

the cool thing about metal gear solid 2:substance is that it's in widescreen. I was playing the xbox version and it's only in fullscreen and to play 2 in all it's glory in 1080p on ps3 is awesome.

I ended up pitching it for 25 bucks via Half... I just couldn't live with having 3 copies of mgs1 and 3 just so I could have Substance.

I played Substance for an hour or so though. Not bad.

Now with the essentials I have mSG solid 1 on ps1 and metal gear solid twin snakes on gamecube, Metal gear solid 2 substance xbox and metal gear solid 2 substance on ps2 and metal gear solid 3: snake eater and metal gear solid 3 subsistence both on ps2. That means I have 2 versions of every game but each version is slightly different. crazytown. I wonder how much Konami makes on every boxset? It looks like it might cost 8 bucks to manufacture 4 game discs, instructions, box art, and a slip case. If you account for distribution costs and retail costs it might cost konami 13-15 bucks to make a set. I think the band m's margin is 3-5 dollars a game so konami is basically making 5-10 bucks profit on each collection sold which isn't a lot. So, i guess it's more like a thank you to fans and a setup for mgs4.

bread's done
Back