MGM DVD Settlement

zombieman

CAGiversary!
I was reading the latest issue of Home Media Retailing (Video Store Magazine) and it had a little note about a settlement with MGM over the DVD's that they released that did not have true widescreen. if you head over to here, you can make a claim for either a free DVD or $7.10 per disc that is on the list that you own.

Barbershop's the only one I have on the list. It and Ronin are actually the only two MGM movies I own :shock:. Ronin isn't on the list though :( Do you have to trade your movie in?

i own a few:

-annie hall
-ghost world
-love and death
-pumpkin
-raging bull
-spaceballs
-this is spinal tap
-valley girl

although i may have missed some, the only 2 i would consider getting $7 for would be maybe valley girl and pumpkin, but valley girl is fun and christina ricci is in pumpkin. i'll probably call the number, though, just in case.

this could be hot for anyone who bought "a guy thing".

That's funny this was posted because I just watched Spaceballs and noticed that it wasn't working right on my HD TV. I had to zoom in order to watch it without letterbox. Crazy coincidence.

Hmmm, let's see... I've got:
Child's Play
The Cutting Edge
Jeepers Creepers
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Princess Bride
Return of the Living Dead
The Secret of NIHM
Spaceballs
The Terminator
Theater of Blood
UHF

Though I'm not sure if I bought all of them within the time frame they have on that site...

[quote name='repetske']That's funny this was posted because I just watched Spaceballs and noticed that it wasn't working right on my HD TV. I had to zoom in order to watch it without letterbox. Crazy coincidence.[/quote]

Spaceballs isn't anamophic, so that's why it would show up letterboxed on your TV. However, there is a widescreen error on the disc. During the scene with the alien, the picture is zoomed in so that you don't see the stick that the puppet is attached to. I don't know why they did this; I thought that the stick made it much funnier. On a related note, there is a new Spaceballs SE DVD that is coming out later this year.

Yeah, the Killer Klowns DVD is definitely altered. I believe that the movie was shot in 4:3, and they just made it 16:9 for the DVD. I know that the movie had to be matted for theaters back when it is released, but I doubt that the matting was that bad (tops of heads are being cut off). Or, judging by the movie quality, maybe it was. :)

The first, non SE version of the Princess Bride was screwed up, I believe. The widescreen version was just the fullscreen version cropped even more.

I thought this is just a proposed settlement that MGM is fighting at this point and therefore it's far from a done deal.

DVDs have gotten pretty cheap in recent years, so $7 per DVD might be a big money loser for MGM. Then again, they should learn to put out a better product to begin with so consumers won't have so much room to complain later on down the line.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']DVDs have gotten pretty cheap in recent years, so $7 per DVD might be a big money loser for MGM. Then again, they should learn to put out a better product to begin with so consumers won't have so much room to complain later on down the line.[/quote]

Do you think Max the Roman Gladiator is gonna do well this year or suck out like tha past few years?

Go Rossi & Edwards!

I now know why the MGM movies are $9.99 everywhere including my local supermarket. They were cutting corners to save money and got caught doing it.

I lent out my copy of the "Abominbal Dr. Phibes " and I doubt i'll get it back.

This is why I no longer lend out my DVDs to anyone.

[quote name='Santurio']I don't think this is worth the trouble.[/quote]

I think it is if you own the original Princess Bride DVD or the Spaceballs DVD (which has the rerelease in May or something). I don't know what other DVDs are being rereleased. I've seen the Princess Bride Special Edition DVD for less than $7.10, so returning the original would get you enough to replace it (if it's not one of the 325 DVDs you can exchange for).

I'm a little confused, it's been said you can apply for a free DVD in exchange? Will this be a "fixed" version of your existing DVD, or a completely different title?

I also don't understand why The Secret of NIMH is on that list, since I've NEVER seen a version that even promised widescreen, and it's been something asked for a lot online. So why is it included in a settlement over false Widescreen modes?

Hmm, why are there two versions of "The Terminator," and other movies in widescreen format? One by MGM and the other by Criterion?...

MGM DVD Class Action Settlement Administrator
P.O. Box 91146
Seattle, WA 98111-9246
(800) 285-2168 (toll free)

PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE THE COURT OR THE OFFICE OF THE CLERK FOR
INFORMATION REGARDING THE SETTLEMENT.

HMM i dont know almost looks like the scam for paypal a while ago. as seen here

http://www.settlement4onlinepayments.com/

this is actually a legit claim BUT someone made a scam w/ a template of the orig. and had please dont contact. like this

bread's done
Back