MGS4 80GB PS3 Bundle (Backward Compatible!) In stock at Amazon - $500 Free Shipping

prateeko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']I agree. Sweet deal - would have loved to have b/c on my 'new' 80gb.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's the same cost as a new PS3 + PS2 with a little less compatibility, but it is a hell of a lot more convenient and I like being able to use a DS3, scaling, etc.

And to think i paid 599.99 for my 60gb at launch:bomb:

Some guy was trying to sell this to me for 350 at a flea market. Maybe i should have jumped on it.

[quote name='prateeko']Well, it's the same cost as a new PS3 + PS2 with a little less compatibility, but it is a hell of a lot more convenient and I like being able to use a DS3, scaling, etc.[/quote]

Yeah it's alot more convenient, but not all the games work and quite a few have known bugs. With the dell deal and the PS2 now being extremely cheap, I'd rather go that route.

[quote name='s2k']And to think i paid 599.99 for my 60gb at launch:bomb:

Some guy was trying to sell this to me for 350 at a flea market. Maybe i should have jumped on it.
344.jpg
[/quote]
I know what you mean, I feel like I'm dumb for not waiting and buying at the launch too. :cry: I guess we all get a little excited sometimes, and are impatient. This is a sweet deal, to bad I already have a Ps3.

[quote name='s2k']And to think i paid 599.99 for my 60gb at launch:bomb:

Some guy was trying to sell this to me for 350 at a flea market. Maybe i should have jumped on it.[/quote]

On the plus side you've had 2.5 years or enjoyment out of your PS3. Plus I'm sure you would've put that money into the stock market if you hadn't bought the PS3, so it'd be up in smoke anyway! :lol:

And 599.99 was msrp noone wants to really know what i paid for it on ebay. It shames me of how un cheap ass gamer i was. Its been my faithful bluray player so i can't complain to much.

[quote name='Doomtime']Yeah it's alot more convenient, but not all the games work and quite a few have known bugs. With the dell deal and the PS2 now being extremely cheap, I'd rather go that route.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I've only run into the Sly cooper game as having a problem. It's very good and for the money I definitely think it's worth it since the convenience outweighs the rare game that doesn't work. Plus, they have been improving the software BC in updates, although not too much now. I'm very happy with mine and if given the chance, would buy it again over a 40GB/80GB/160GB without BC, especially since i has 4 USB and memory card slots.

awesome, my friend is looking for one with backwards compatibility also... i wonder if he will settle for this. thanks op!

[quote name='prateeko']Eh, I've only run into the Sly cooper game as having a problem. It's very good and for the money I definitely think it's worth it since the convenience outweighs the rare game that doesn't work. Plus, they have been improving the software BC in updates, although not too much now. I'm very happy with mine and if given the chance, would buy it again over a 40GB/80GB/160GB without BC, especially since i has 4 USB and memory card slots.[/quote]

Good point. I'll pick up a PS3 someday. This still isn't the time though.

Impulse clicked. Argh, should I keep it, or cancel?!

It's pricey as hell on one hand, but it's nice that it has the extra media inputs and usb ports + the grand poobah w/ BC. Where the hell is Amazon digging these out from?

What to do....what to do.... Any thoughts before it's too late?

[quote name='Hibiwa']Impulse clicked. Argh, should I keep it, or cancel?!

It's pricey as hell on one hand, but it's nice that it has the extra media inputs and usb ports + the grand poobah w/ BC. Where the hell is Amazon digging these out from?

What to do....what to do.... Any thoughts before it's too late?[/QUOTE]

On one hand, the BC is emulated (at least I think it is) so some games may not run at full speed. Unless there are some PS3 games out right now that you're just dying to play, it'd probably be best to wait for a price drop or two and buy a PS2 instead.

If you're going to buy a ps3 this is the one to get, since Sony isn't going to be making any more BC ps3s, and there's not even a hint of a price drop this year.

Here's the BC list which pretty much has most popular games as completely BC (I'm pretty sure this is for the MGS4 bundle 80gb). http://www.ps3comp.com/view.asp?flt=0-9&console=ps2

[quote name='PikaPichu']On one hand, the BC is emulated (at least I think it is) so some games may not run at full speed. Unless there are some PS3 games out right now that you're just dying to play, it'd probably be best to wait for a price drop or two and buy a PS2 instead.[/QUOTE]

It's a mix of some hardware plus software emulation. I researched this when I first bought it and YES it does have hardware in there (not the Emotion engine, something called Graphics Synthesizer, a GPU) which is why an update can't just be released for the current PS3s. One indicator of BC PS3s having additional hardware is the ability to play SACDs, which all BC-less ones cannot do.

As for the guy wondering, depends on your finances. I personally would keep it and hold off one 1-3 games in the summer and work on a backlog. $500 is a lot but I'm happy with my purchase and recomend it if you like PS2 games, especially because it's a cheap alternative (on BF I got 5-6 from Amazon for the same price as a regular new game)...

It's a struggle between not wanting to lose out on another chance at ownership (passed up and missed several times) and the cheapass instinct way to buy $200 cheaper and make due with my working PS2--just not the same though.

I did regret not pulling the trigger several months ago. This comes with MGS4 so that's 40 off the console there. Guess I could leave it sealed and keep pondering about the expensive doorstop.

$100 for BC and MGS4 = not worth it.

If PS2 games are so important to you and you don't already have a PS2 hooked up, something is up in the first place.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']$100 for BC and MGS4 = not worth it.

If PS2 games are so important to you and you don't already have a PS2 hooked up, something is up in the first place.[/QUOTE]My PS2 is in the closet because I find it embarrassing having six consoles hooked up to the hdtv. Plus it's less clutter. Only old console I have hooked up is my Saturn, I love playing those Capcom fighters.

All about the perceived convenience and the nearly extinct aspect. Totally illogical perhaps. My PSP got cheaper in feel and components so SONY isn't going to be giving more for less with their track record.

It's about 2 hours since OP and they're still available. The economy is really in the crapper.

MGS4 is still between $40 and $50, right? So, you're basically paying $60 for a crippled PS2. I guess, that isn't too awful, if you're looking to avoid having multiple consoles hooked up.

[quote name='Hibiwa']
It's about 2 hours since OP and they're still available. The economy is really in the crapper.[/quote]

Or $500 for a PS3 when they were $500/$600 at launch (over 2 years ago) and when Xbox 360s are $200...is ridiculous to most. But...don't ask me, I paid $700 for my PS3 with an extra controller and Genji at Costco. :-({|=

If PS2 games are so important to you and you don't already have a PS2 hooked up, something is up in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Well, upconverting (in addition to convnience, wireless, and extra USB/memory card) is a big thing to some including myself. By setting the console to upconvert it can (if I understand right, and experience with mine seems to verify) eliminate lag you'd otherwise see with a regular PS2 since the conversion from those is handled by the TV (thus introducing lag).

Either way, it's not for everybody, but for those who want it, it is surprisingly available and I suggest you jump on it. If you change your mind you can always refuse the package and recieve full money back (or not open the package and refuse it later to UPS/USPS).

[BTW, when I add it to my cart and adjust quantity to 999 it tells me only 462 are left. When I posted it said 540. That's not as fast as they used to sell, but not too shabby considering the economy and whatnot. Compared to the 160GB Bundle it's a no brainer tho]

If PS2 games are so important to you and you don't already have a PS2 hooked up, something is up in the first place.[/QUOTE]You should change that to $200 =D. You can get a new 80GB PS3 from Dell for $300

I do not regret getting the MGS bundle when it was released last year. Wireless controllers, and unlimited memory cards on the HDD for PS1/ and PS2 games. That alone makes up for buying this over a PS3+PS2 two-console combo.

[quote name='prateeko']Well, it's the same cost as a new PS3 + PS2 with a little less compatibility, but it is a hell of a lot more convenient and I like being able to use a DS3, scaling, etc.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why but I used to have a BC ps3. And now have a nonBC ps3 and a slim ps2 and I think my ps2 games look a LOT better on the slim.

Maybe it was my unit but I've heard others say this about the slim ps2's as well.

[quote name='prateeko']Well, upconverting (in addition to convnience, wireless, and extra USB/memory card) is a big thing to some including myself. By setting the console to upconvert it can (if I understand right, and experience with mine seems to verify) eliminate lag you'd otherwise see with a regular PS2 since the conversion from those is handled by the TV (thus introducing lag).
[/QUOTE]
According to the hardcore fighting game community the ps2 bc on the ps3 has 3-frames of lag. But it being noticeable is most likely in their head. At 60fps this is 48ms of lag which is well under the 100-200ms response time of a human. But if your HDTV has mediocre to longish upscaling and video processing lag you certainly don't want to be adding more to it. Plasmas are really good at being fast so I'm fine. [quote name='carn311']I have no idea why but I used to have a BC ps3. And now have a nonBC ps3 and a slim ps2 and I think my ps2 games look a LOT better on the slim.

Maybe it was my unit but I've heard others say this about the slim ps2's as well.[/QUOTE]That's bs.

And slim ps2s aren't 100% compatible with ps2 games either due to how they shrank and combined the CPU and GPU on the same chip.

[quote name='Vazel']According to the hardcore fighting game community the ps2 bc on the ps3 has 3-frames of lag. But it being noticeable is most likely in their head. At 60fps this is 48ms of lag which is well under the 100-200ms response time of a human. But if your HDTV has mediocre to longish upscaling and video processing lag you certainly don't want to be adding more to it. Plasmas are really good at being fast so I'm fine. That's bs.

And slim ps2s aren't 100% compatible with ps2 games either due to how they shrank and combined the CPU and GPU on the same chip.[/QUOTE]

Thats not BS. Do a forum/ google search.

Also, if you hold that much hate for the slim, just get a 60gb or even a 20 + an access point.

[quote name='Vazel']According to the hardcore fighting game community the ps2 bc on the ps3 has 3-frames of lag. But it being noticeable is most likely in their head. At 60fps this is 48ms of lag which is well under the 100-200ms response time of a human. But if your HDTV has mediocre to longish upscaling and video processing lag you certainly don't want to be adding more to it. Plasmas are really good at being fast so I'm fine. That's bs.

And slim ps2s aren't 100% compatible with ps2 games either due to how they shrank and combined the CPU and GPU on the same chip.[/QUOTE]

How does the 3 frames of lag compare to lag hdtvs add if you're running a slim?

[quote name='carn311']Thats not BS. Do a forum/ google search.

Also, if you hold that much hate for the slim, just get a 60gb or even a 20 + an access point.[/QUOTE]I don't care how far that myth has spread. That the slim somehow has better PQ than the ps3 is bs. If anything the ps3 would look better if there is a difference. They're both rendered the same in the framebuffer of a hardware Graphics Synthesizer GPU but the ps2 slim can only do component output and the ps3 can do hdmi. The ps3 doesn't have to do a digital to analog conversion it is a pure digital output. I don't have hate for the slim I just don't like FUD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would consider this if it was $400, but $500+tax is too much for what the PS3 offers. I'm not biased, I actually bought this bundle last summer and ended up returning it after a few weeks because I felt that I wasn't getting the best bang for my buck. A major appeal of the PS3 to me used to be the fact that it could play blu ray movies, but now there are excellent players with equal or better PQ than the PS3 for significantly less.

[quote name='newlu']Definitely worth the price.
If I didn't own one already, I'd be all over this.[/quote]

I don't, and so I am
N.gif

I would consider it if I still played ps2 games. I do have a humongous backlog that I will probably never have time to play until I retire, but I also got my TE fightstick shipped. Hooray for me.

This bundle is the reason I finally picked up a PS3. That and Wal-mart was offering a $100 GC for the purchase on any blu-ray player at the time.

[quote name='Danil ACE']I would consider this if it was $400, but $500+tax is too much for what the PS3 offers. I'm not biased, I actually bought this bundle last summer and ended up returning it after a few weeks because I felt that I wasn't getting the best bang for my buck. A major appeal of the PS3 to me used to be the fact that it could play blu ray movies, but now there are excellent players with equal or better PQ than the PS3 for significantly less.[/quote]

Which players are better?

[quote name='Danil ACE']I would consider this if it was $400, but $500+tax is too much for what the PS3 offers. I'm not biased, I actually bought this bundle last summer and ended up returning it after a few weeks because I felt that I wasn't getting the best bang for my buck. A major appeal of the PS3 to me used to be the fact that it could play blu ray movies, but now there are excellent players with equal or better PQ than the PS3 for significantly less.[/quote]

Well, one could just get a 360, a PS2, and a Blu-ray player.

360 with 60GB (w/o wireless adapter) - $300
PS2 - $100

So, now one would have $100 left for a Blu-ray player. That is, if they don't need to connect the 360 to the wireless router. In that case, they've already spent their $500. This is definitely a pricey unit, but if one is in the market for all three things, it's an awesome value.

I'll never understand why people don't see the value in the PS3. I'm constantly seeing the "overpriced" tag slapped on it. Is $400 or $500 a lot? Of course, but there's a difference between expensive and overpriced. If you want a current-gen game console and a high-definition player, it's an absolute no-brainer. Even if you don't want a high-definition player that much, the PS3 is still a great value, because if you watch movies at all, you'll eventually want the newer technology eventually. I don't know too many people who are still rocking their VHS players exclusively.

it is awesome bundle.
but...
how the hell did amazon managed to get a few pallets of a ps3 that is out of production?
that is just weird.
Come on.. Amazon.. what is next.. a new SNES?

Maybe SONY had a stash and set them loose on the big river to put a final end to the BC supply. I doubt Amazon went poking around here and there at a few pieces each until they had over 500+ to sell.

The more I think about it, the more I'm OK with this being back so I don't ever have to bitch about it anymore. It'd be more uncomfortable to buy another PS2 as a backup rather than putting the cost to this.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']

I'll never understand why people don't see the value in the PS3. I'm constantly seeing the "overpriced" tag slapped on it. Is $400 or $500 a lot? Of course, but there's a difference between expensive and overpriced. If you want a current-gen game console and a high-definition player, it's an absolute no-brainer. Even if you don't want a high-definition player that much, the PS3 is still a great value, because if you watch movies at all, you'll eventually want the newer technology eventually. I don't know too many people who are still rocking their VHS players exclusively.[/quote]

I really don't either. One issue is some people like to spend in small amounts. Even though at the end of the day you spend just as much as a person who would drop the $499 on a packaged item. My sister and her husband do this. The PS3 is an awesome buy. Even if you dont buy new there are still a lot of BC units used at a very good price. I bought one myself as my third and its worked perfectly. Too lazy to move the PS3 from room to room.

[quote name='wbc1228']it is awesome bundle.
but...
how the hell did amazon managed to get a few pallets of a ps3 that is out of production?
that is just weird.
Come on.. Amazon.. what is next.. a new SNES?[/quote]
I wouldn't be too suprised to see a new SNES randomly pop up now... :bouncy:

I'd buy a new SNES in a second if one poped up!

This is pretty awesome that this is back in stock. I'm really tempted to buy a second one, but...I guess I won't (?)

bread's done
Back